Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GMO labeling on the Ballot in Oregon

GMO labeling on the Ballot in Oregon

This is really interesting because chemical companies from outside states have spent upwards of 25 million dollars fighting this. This is a record. And what is interesting is that we have a public vote for labeling and it's really tight. Even if they lose they've pulled off a huge fight. And one that won't go away after the night is through.

Food labeling

Would require genetically engineered foods to be labeled as such.
    50.6% Reporting

No 50.7%
    Yes 49.3%

Recreational marijuana

Would legalize the sale and use of recreational marijuana.
    50.6% Reporting

Yes 54.6%
    No 45.4%

Open primary system

Would create a top-two open primary system.
    50.3% Reporting

No 66.9%
    Yes 33.1%
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-04-2014 at 10:46 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Any update?

The Label one is neck and neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    Any update?

The Label one is neck and neck.
    51.3 No

48.7 yes

62% reporting

I'm actually happy with this considering the special interest money from out of state that was dumped into the thing.25 million? Phhht. These chemical companiers are crapping bricks. It's a huge win by the people of Oregon even if it doesn't pass just because it's a trend that we see evolving and succeeding at the grassroots level. People have the right to know what they are eating. By disfranchising them it impedes their ability to choose and participate in a genuine free market. What these companies are doing is investing millions to protect themselves from the free market. And that's a fact, jack. Heh...
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-04-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    51.3 No

48.7 yes

62% reporting
    WTF? What's the basis of the negative position?

That's good news. Another government mandate voted down.

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    WTF? What's the basis of the negative position?
    Misinformation campaign from the chemical companies. 25 million dollars worth. It's okay though. Moving forward...

Misinformation campaign from the chemical companies. 25 million dollars worth. It's okay though. Moving forward...

what kind of misinformation? Saying it will hurt the farmers or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    what kind of misinformation? Saying it will hurt the farmers or something?
    Yep. Same old misinformation. Here you go. It's discussed...

This is from tonight's mid term election coverage. Well...the coverage where the issues and ballot initiatives were actually discussed as opposed to the other legacy/corporate networks where they were just counting numbers. Heh...

Whether it passes or fails, the game is going to played from here on out. There is no stopping it. Have faith in that.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-05-2014 at 12:00 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Whether it passes or fails, the game is going to played from here on out. There is no stopping it. Have faith in that.
    Oh,of that I have no doubt.Statist gonna State.

This law should cost Safeway,WalMart,Costco and such some minuscule less than one% of their profits while at the same time costing Farmer John and his roadside produce stand 85% of his profits and thus driving him out of business.

I'm sure that the big grocery concerns will pour some serious money into this the next time it comes up.
    Yay mandatory labeling,enforced at gunpoint!
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

You want government to force companies to label foods, and you dare accuse another person of misinformation
    pcosmar's lie : There are more votes than registered Voters..

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    You want government to force companies to label foods, and you dare accuse another person of misinformation
    I grow , sell , buy food with no label , none needed , potatoes , onions , green beans , eggs etc still in the original package as nature intended

It's already being done! Calories, carbohydrates, sodium, ingredients... Doesn't it seem rather odd that they don't want to label about Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)? If they have nothing to hide what's the problem?

When I buy local, I ask the farmer right up front whether the fruits and vegetables come from organic heirloom seeds. If they stutter, or stagger in anyway with a response, I simply do not buy from them. It's pretty much that simple.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    It's already being done! Calories, carbohydrates, sodium, ingredients... Doesn't it seem rather odd that they don't want to label about Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)? If they have nothing to hide what's the problem?

When I buy local, I ask the farmer right up front whether the fruits and vegetables come from organic heirloom seeds. If they stutter, or stagger in anyway with a response, I simply do not buy from them. It's pretty much that simple.
    You bet it's already being done!! This godforsaken state I live in just pulled Red Raspberry leaf supplement off the shelf because the producers are now being mandated to add in the labeling that it has trace amounts of led (no more than what's in the dirt we grow our food in, mind you). And so now, the ONE ingredient that was controlling night sweats and hot flashes for me is off the shelf until all the labels are changed. But the bastards won't label GMO food!!!
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Do you NOT see the inconsistency??? Do you NOT see that the balance is tipped in favor of the multinational corporations like Monsanto???

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.

In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    This law should cost Safeway,WalMart,Costco and such some minuscule less than one% of their profits while at the same time costing Farmer John and his roadside produce stand 85% of his profits and thus driving him out of business.
    Farmers Abandoning GMO Seeds: Non-GMO is more profitable

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Do you really want to go with the "its already being done" argument in order to promote a govt mandate? Might want to think that through...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Do you understand the concept of a citizens ballot initiative? The people's right to work toward building their own government at the state level? This is much like we see see with marijuana reform. I assure you that I'll waste very little time or energy with misinformation. Do you want to have this debate here? We already have a wealth of debate on it elsewhere around the board. Perhaps best to just bump and continue those. Watcha wanna do? Here or there? I have some time to kill this morning. Well...for a little while anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Do you really want to go with the "its already being done" argument in order to promote a govt mandate? Might want to think that through...

Sometimes, in order to win, you have to play their game, and use their rules against them.

Do you understand the concept of a citizens initiative? The people's right to work toward building their own government at the state level? This is much like we see see with marijuana reform. I assure you that I'll waste very little time or energy with misinformation. Do you want to have this debate here? We already have a wealth of debate on it elsewhere around the board. Perhaps best to just bump and continue those. Watcha wanna do? Here or there? I have some time to kill this morning. Well...for a little while anyway.
    I really don't get the inconsistency with some people - they're all over weed being LEGAL (which results in regulation and taxation of it), but don't want GMO crap to be labeled.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    I really don't get the inconsistency with some people - they're all over weed being LEGAL (which results in regulation and taxation of it), but don't want GMO crap to be labeled.
    Well. The thing is that the issue is ultimately going to be decided at the geo-political level anyhow. It really is a matter of foreign policy now. (If you find the time maybe check out the "Monsanto In Foreign Policy" thread in the foreign policy sub forum here.) Domestically, the people will ultimately win based upon that alone. But I do agree with you. Really, people just aren't as smart as they like to think they are and so we get more ad-hominem as a retaliatory thing as opposed to actually discussing it like big boys and girls.

You know, I was just thinking about that bill that the Koch network along with Monsanto scribbled up and paid Congressman Pompeo to try to pass through. What that did was void the people's right to ever know what they were eating and it also voided the state's ability to protect it's people from government intrusion. What this essentially did was protect these companies from the free market since people simply wouldn't have a means to choose without labels. Now we didn't hear a peep aboput this mercantilist tyranny from the folks running around yapping about statism. I thought that was funny. Got me to chuckling a bit. There's a thread around here some place about that. I made sure of it.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-05-2014 at 09:18 AM.

Sometimes, in order to win, you have to play their game, and use their rules against them.
    meh, I'd rather argue to remove the labeling mandate, I mean that's the freedom position. But whatever, I have few problems with this being done at the state level, let them reap their own pain.

Ah, the bitter tears of the anti-science, pro government crowd .... sweeter than aspartame!

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Ah, the bitter tears of the anti-science, pro government crowd .... sweeter than aspartame!
    Hey, what's up, sunshine. How you doing these days?

Well. The thing is that the issue is ultimately going to be decided at the geo-political level anyhow. It really is a matter of foreign policy now. (If you find the time maybe check out the "Monsanto In Foreign Policy" thread in the foreign policy sub forum here.) Domestically, the people will ultimately win based upon that alone. But I do agree with you. Really, people just aren't as smart as they like to think they are and so we get more ad-hominem as a retaliatory thing as opposed to actually discussing it like big boys and girls.

You know, I was just thinking about that bill that the Koch network along with Monsanto scribbled up and paid congressman pompeo to try to pass through. What that did was void the peoples right to ever know what they were eating and it also voided the state's ability to protect it's people from government intrusion. What this essentially did was protect these companies from the free market since people simply wouldn't have a means to choose without labels. Now we didn't hear a peep aboput this mercantilist tyranny from the folks running around yapping about statism. I thought that was funny. Got me to chuckling a bit. There's a thread around here some place about that. I made sure of it.
    Maybe you should find it and post it in here as a gentle reminder of the double-standard being practiced.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Don't paint me with that brush, Angie.

meh, I'd rather argue to remove the labeling mandate, I mean that's the freedom position. But whatever, I have few problems with this being done at the state level, let them reap their own pain.
    When you're going up against the behemoths, you fight with whatever tools are at your disposal.

You bet it's already being done!! This godforsaken state I live in just pulled Red Raspberry leaf supplement off the shelf because the producers are now being mandated to add in the labeling that it has trace amounts of led.
    (no more than what's in the dirt we grow our food in, mind you). And so now, the ONE ingredient that was controlling night sweats and hot flashes for me is off the shelf until all the labels are changed. But the bastards won't label GMO food!!!
    There are literally millions of studies that indicate that lead is toxic. Obvious difference is obvious.

But now you want the same people that are pulling your supplement of choice off the shelf to get even more people hysterical over absolutely nothing? Does not compute.

Maybe you should find it and post it in here as a gentle reminder of the double-standard being practiced.
    Meh. What's to be had? Like I said, the issue is at the geo-political level now. Domestically, these companies are going to conform to the reality of this. Mon santo just took almost a 200 million dollar 4th quarter loss and shares dropped significantly. And we're starting to see them begin to sue each other so the in-fighting has begun. Will continue as the issue evolves abroad and other nations restructure. Specifically the competitive non-gmo nations and those reorganizing mechanisms for international finance clearing that align with that.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-05-2014 at 09:26 AM.

You use their rules so it blows right back at them. It also helps to wake up many more people to the very hypocrisy they spew. After all, isn't it about informing the people?
    Last edited by donnay; 11-05-2014 at 09:29 AM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast