Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Natural Skin Care That Works

All Natural Skin Care That Works

Last May I went for my annual physical and my doctor commented that skin was really dry and thin. I had noticed it too but figured it just came with aging since I used lotion and baby oil religiously. Then I read a comment on a thread here at RPF where someone said they use coconut oil, I can't remember who said it or which thread it was in but I would like to say thank you. I decided to give it a shot since the lotion clearly wasn't helping and the results have been amazing, my skin hasn't felt this good in years.

Do you have any all natural beauty, tip, hints or recipes? Post them here, I would love to hear 'em.

The only problem I've encountered is the coconut oil is hard as a rock now that it's cold outside but thanks to the interwebz I found an easy solution to that problem, Whip it. I gave it a shot and it works.

I didn't use the vitamin E or any essential oils but I think I'm going to add some essential oils in my next batch.

1 cup coconut oil
    1 teaspoon vitamin E oil (optional)
    a few drops of your favorite essential oils for fragrance (where to buy essential oils online)
    Learn where I shop for high quality therapeutic essential oils online.

What to do:
    1. Put all ingredients into a mixing bowl. Note: Do not melt the coconut oil first. It will only whip up if it’s solid.
    2. Mix on high speed with a wire whisk for 6-7 minutes or until whipped into a light, airy consistency.
    3. Spoon the whipped coconut oil body butter into a glass jar and cover tightly. Store at room temperature, or in the refrigerator if your house is so warm it melts the oil.
    Tip: An electric hand mixer will work, but my KitchenAid stand mixer did an amazing job and I was able to get other work done while it was mixing away. A blender or food processor will not work with this coconut oil recipe, because they tend to warm the oil too much and prevent it from whipping up.
    Note: Your whipped coconut oil should stay relatively soft, even at colder temperatures. If it’s really cold, it will become a little more solid, but not rock hard like it normally does. I noticed mine beaded into a froth of tiny coconut oil pearls that melt right into my skin. Love it!

http://www.livingthenourishedlife.co...conut-oil-body

I want to try this one too.

Key Lime Whipped Coconut Oil Body Butter Recipe

Ingredients
    (Makes About 1 Cup of Whipped Coconut Oil)
    1/2 cup coconut oil
    1 tablespoon olive oil (or try castor oil or macadamia nut oil)
    2 tablespoons aloe vera gel
    20 drops lime essential oil
    20 drops lemon essential oil

Instructions

1. Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl. Note: Do not melt the coconut oil first. It will only whip up if it’s solid.
    2. Mix with an electric mixer on high speed with a wire whisk attachment for 3-7 minutes or until whipped into a light, airy consistency. (After 3 minutes, check back every minute or so until it reaches the right consistency.)
    3. Spoon the whipped coconut oil body butter into a glass jar and cover tightly. Store at room temperature, or in the refrigerator if your house is so warm it melts the oil.

Tip: An electric hand mixer will work, but my KitchenAid stand mixer did the job quickly and easily with little effort on my part (love it!). A blender or food processor will not work with this coconut oil recipe, because they tend to warm the oil too much and prevent it from whipping up. If your coconut oil is too soft to whip, try putting the bowl in the freezer for a few minutes before mixing.

http://www.livingthenourishedlife.co...conut-oil-body

The coconut didn't feel good on my face, too greasy, but donnay came to the rescue and I learned about argan oil. I can't brag on this stuff enough, it's lightweight and I can't see any wrinkles on my face anymore. Admittedly, I didn't have any deep wrinkles, more like fine lines, but they've all disappeared. My forehead is smooth as a baby's behind.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-and-arthritis

I've also been taking detox baths and they make my skin feel great too.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ght=epsom+salt

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    These look pretty neat, I think I'll make some lavender scented ones and leave out the coloring.

My real weakness is peppermint mochas, but I also love peppermint in my beauty products! That’s why I’m so excited to share this recipe for DIY Peppermint Sugar Scrub Bars with you. Whether you’re looking to treat yourself or you’re embarking on a DIY project for Christmas gifts this year, these sugar scrub bars are sure to please.

You can also substitute your favorite essential oil in this recipe to create a scent that is appropriate for every season and every person.

DIY Peppermint Sugar Scrub Bars

Ingredients

1/4 cup Coconut Oil (I like Nutiva and Tropical Traditions)
    1/2 cup Shredded Castile soap (Dr Bronner's or Kirks)
    3-4 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil or any scent you choose
    1 cup organic sugar
    Red Mica Colorant (Optional)

Directions

In a double boiler, melt your shredded soap (this can take over an hour, so be patient). If you do not have a double boiler, microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring in between until melted.
    Mix in your coconut oil until combined and add your peppermint essential oil.
    Separate into two separate bowls, adding your mica into one bowl and mix until color is uniform.
    Add ˝ cup of sugar to each bowl, doing one bowl at a time. Mix until well combined. You are looking for a slushy like consistency.
    Pour into your silicone molds and allow to dry for 1-2 hours before unmolding.
    *If your sugar and soap mixture gets too thick, microwave on 10 second bursts until you are able to pour.

http://www.happy-mothering.com/11/di..._a5y_p=1769094

I will add this:

101 Uses for Coconut Oil
    http://wellnessmama.com/5734/101-uses-for-coconut-oil/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    These look pretty neat, I think I'll make some lavender scented ones and leave out the coloring.

Excellent idea for Christmas gifts!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Excellent idea for Christmas gifts!
    It is. There's a cute label pdf at the link for gift giving. I don't think I would put it on the jar because it's likely to get wet, I would use a ribbon and make it a tag instead.

It is. There's a cute label pdf at the link for gift giving. I don't think I would put it on the jar because it's likely to get wet, I would use a ribbon and make it a tag instead.
    I made soaps and would wrap them in shrink wrap and made labels with ingredients so that anyone, I gave them to, would know what was in it. Tissue paper and ribbon works well too.

I made spa baskets with the soaps I made, one year, that the women in the family and friends loved.

Not skincare but pretty cool. If you have any dental work, I would be a little leery but looks pretty neat.

http://www.mamanatural.com/charcoal-teeth-whitening/

Activated Charcoal – Weird Way to Whiten Teeth

Personally, I hate the taste of toothpaste. I usually just use baking soda but I'm thinking of making some of this.vvv I read somewhere that Coconut oil helps whiten teeth and I also read that sea salt helps remineralize teeth. I'm thinking of making a coconut oil, baking soda, sea salt concoction.

Homemade Toothpaste with Coconut Oil

Clean those pearly whites with this yummy and healthy coconut oil toothpaste. Recipe originally from the fabulous Crunchy Betty.

ingredients

6 tbsp coconut oil I'm going to use 8 tbsp
    6 tbsp baking soda
    25 drops essential oil (whatever you prefer— I’ve used eucalyptus and grapefruit) not going to use this
    1 tsp stevia (or more if you like it sweeter) or this

I'm going to add 2 tbsp sea salt

directions

1. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. I used my SmartStick to whip it really well and give it a light creamy texture.

2. Pour into a mason jar and seal it up until ready to use.

Getting it out of the mason jar can be an adjustment. Some days I get a little sophisticated and use a popsicle stick to dip into the toothpaste and spread nicely onto the toothbrush. But truth be told, most days I just dunk the toothbrush right into the jar and call it good. I have also used a hair dye bottle (with the pointed tip) and that works pretty good.
    http://familysponge.com/health/cocon...e-coconut-oil/

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I may have to put aside a few lemon peels and try this.

Leftover Lemon Peels? Make Make A Skin Brightening Scrub

How To Make A Lemon-Oil Infusion
    This basic oil infusion is so versatile you might just find yourself keeping a stash in the kitchen, bathroom AND living room! Unlike lemon essential oil, the flavor is very mild and blends well with herbs and spices. More on how to use it soon, but first here’s the “how to”!

Ingredients:

Lemon peels, preferably organic
    Minimally processed olive or coconut oil* (where to find high quality oils)
    Optional flavorings if you’re making an oil to cook with: garlic and/or fresh herbs
    *Olive oil is not recommended for the hot process due to oxidation. Though some olive oils can withstand heat, it’s because they have been intensively refined and no longer contain the micro-nutrients that make olive oil so good for us.

Hot Process Method (Super Quick)

Wash and dry lemons
    Using a vegetable peeler, cut thin slivers of the yellow skin in long ribbons. (Or if you have a zester, use that!) Make sure not to peel off the bitter white pith, just the outside will do.
    Place the peels in a small pot and pour in coconut oil until they’re just barely covered. Bring oil to a very light simmer for about 5 minutes, then set aside for a few hours to allow the oils to continue to meld.
    Strain peels and pour oil into a jar. Store in a dark cabinet or the fridge.
    Cold Process Method For Coconut Oil

Because this method does not use heat the enzymes and micronutrients are better preserved.

Wash and dry lemons.
    Using a vegetable peeler, cut thin slivers of the yellow skin in long ribbons. (Or if you have a zester, use that!) Make sure not to peel off the bitter white pith, just the outside will do.
    Pack peels tightly in a jar, then pour in just enough coconut oil to cover.
    Place in a sunny window for 1-2 weeks, shaking every day.
    Cold Process Method For Olive Oil

I prefer an olive oil infusion for salads, but because it’s so vulnerable to oxidation via sunlight I let mine “steep” longer in a dark cabinet to attains its distinct flavor. Like the cold process coconut oil version, this method preserves enzymes and micronutrients

Wash and dry lemons.
    Pack peels snugly in a jar, then pour in just enough olive oil to cover.
    Seal tightly and place in a dark cabinet for 1-2 months, shaking every few days.
    How To Use Your Lemon Oil Infusion
    Skin Brightening Scrub

The alpha-hydroxy acids contained in lemon peels possess astringent and skin brightening qualities, making it a great base for this scrub!

When deciding whether to use unrefined sea salt or epsom salt for this recipe keep in mind that both are fabulous detoxifers with unique benefits. Sea salt infuses trace minerals, helps restore moisture balance in the skin, and possesses potent anti-microbial qualities that have been found helpful for acne.

Epsom salts, on the other hand, mostly contain magnesium, a mineral which it thought to improve sleep quality, prevent morning sickness in many cases, and is often used to treat migraines and depression. Use whichever you happen to have on hand, or mix them together!

Note: If you have acne be very careful not to tear the skin while gently using this scrub!

Ingredients:

2/3 cup unrefined sea salt or epsom salt/magnesium flakes, finely ground (where to find unrefined sea salt, where to buy magnesium flakes)
    1/3 cup your lemon-infused oil
    A few drops of essential oil if desired
    Method:

If you’re using coarse ground sea salt or epsom salt, run it through a food processor or coffee maker until the granules are very fine (you don’t want to tear delicate skin).
    Mix all ingredients in a clean jar and store in a cool, dry place.
    To Use:

Step into the bath or shower, but before you turn the shower on spoon a little of the mixture onto a washcloth, exfoliating mitt or your hands.
    Scrub all over in a circular motion, then rinse!
    Pat skin dry and follow with moisturizer if desired (like this one, this one, or THIS one!)

http://www.mommypotamus.com/uses-for...-oil-and-peel/

Personally, I hate the taste of toothpaste. I usually just use baking soda but I'm thinking of making some of this.vvv I read somewhere that Coconut oil helps whiten teeth and I also read that sea salt helps remineralize teeth. I'm thinking of making a coconut oil, baking soda, sea salt concoction.

Xyiltol is really good for toothpaste.

“Xylitol not only rids the mouth of sticky harmful bacteria, it actually promotes the growth of tooth-protective, non-acidic bacteria. Xylitol also raises mouth pH and encourages mineral-rich saliva to flow into the mouth. This can protect and remineralize teeth by repairing the deep layers of enamel.”
    http://www.drellie.com/Xylitol.php

I just rub the coconut oil in my hands and it softens. I add raw sugar for a scrub. I admit I do use glycolic acid...don't have hardly any wrinkles though!

Oh boy!

HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE COCOA MINT SOAP

To make your own soap recipe, you will need:
    Shea butter soap base
    1-2 tablespoons cocoa powder
    1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
    6-10 drops of peppermint essential oil
    Soap mold. Don’t bother buying a plastic mold – just reuse a plastic or cardboard container.

Melt the shea butter soap base in 30 second intervals in the microwave until it is liquified. Use a microwave safe container, like a glass Pyrex measuring cup, that makes it easy to mix and pour.
    After the soap is melted, add the cocoa powder, chopped mint and a few drops of peppermint essential oil until it smells like mint chocolate chip ice cream. Stir together really well and pour into your mold. Sprinkle a bit more cocoa powder on top. Let it sit for an hour or so until it hardens. Then take it out of the mold and cut into bars.

I love how decadent and rich it looks – and yes, it smells amazing. Is it a good sign that 2 of my kids tried to take a bite? They both thought it was candy.

http://web.archive.org/web/201310100...-and-mint.html

I started making my own scrub and I have to say it's better than any OTC product I've used and I've tried some pricey stuff. It's cheap, too! Yay!!!

My recipe...

coconut oil, coffee grounds (you can use cheap coffee or just mix in your used grounds), and sugar. I don't measure it, I just go by the way it feels. Here's how I've been using it - after I take a bath, I rub this stuff all over my body and leave it on while I'm waiting for the shower to warm up. It takes some work to rinse it all off and your shower will be slippery but, oh, your skin will love you. I have very, very dry skin and I don't even have to put on lotion after I use this stuff. Another bonus is the caffeine in the coffee helps with cellulite (Caffeine dilates blood vessels, which tightens the outer tissues of the skin. Used on skin, it also lets your body release toxins and metabolize fat. )

I can't brag on this scrub enough. I love it, it's totally worth a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I'll get right on that Suz...........

Skin care;

When I learned that the reason I felt like I was having a heart attack every time I brushed my teeth is because tooth paste has aspartame in it I decided I have to find something more suitable. I make a similar concoction but I like rosemary oil in mine. Rosemary has antimicrobal properties and I like the taste of it better than mint.
    here is a link that describes the essential oils that are good for oral care

http://www.dreamingearth.com/blog/ta...ssential-oils/

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've heard that semen is good for the skin. Seriously. I've read it in a few journals. You ladies should consider experimenting with semen facials.

Personally, I hate the taste of toothpaste. I usually just use baking soda....
    Ha! I brush with baking soda, too. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I've heard that semen is good for the skin. Seriously. I've read it in a few journals. You ladies should consider experimenting with semen facials.
    cocunut oil first to warm up.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

$250.00 for a semen facial!!! Sounds like a business opportunity for some lucky man.

The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Gross

I started making my own scrub and I have to say it's better than any OTC product I've used and I've tried some pricey stuff. It's cheap, too! Yay!!!

My recipe...

coconut oil, coffee grounds (you can use cheap coffee or just mix in your used grounds), and sugar. I don't measure it, I just go by the way it feels. Here's how I've been using it - after I take a bath, I rub this stuff all over my body and leave it on while I'm waiting for the shower to warm up. It takes some work to rinse it all off and your shower will be slippery but, oh, your skin will love you. I have very, very dry skin and I don't even have to put on lotion after I use this stuff. Another bonus is the caffeine in the coffee helps with cellulite (Caffeine dilates blood vessels, which tightens the outer tissues of the skin. Used on skin, it also lets your body release toxins and metabolize fat. )

I can't brag on this scrub enough. I love it, it's totally worth a try.
    I use coconut oil and turbinado sugar

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Gross
    I would dive head first right into a pool full of vaginal secretions with my mouth wide open, you are afraid of a few drops of jizz?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I would dive head first right into a pool full of vaginal secretions with my mouth wide open, you are afraid of a few drops of jizz?

TMI!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

Now, that's my kinda guy! +rep

grape seed oil for dry skin. amazing stuff, use sparingly.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Now, that's my kinda guy! +rep
    I gotta say I was afraid to open the thread... had that one scene from Malcolm McDowel's Caligula in my head...
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

I've been using coconut oil as a moisturizer but decided up my moisturizing game and made some coffee and vanilla body butter. OMG, this stuff feels and smells so good. Coffee, btw, is good for your skin. I've been making my own body scrub with it (coffee, sugar, coconut oil) and my felt so toned after using it I decided to try making a moisturizer.

Here's how I made it..

equal parts cocoa butter, shea butter, coconut oil, coffee grounds, and a few drops of vanilla extract.

In a double boiler (I sat a mason jar in a pot 1/2 full of water), add everything but the vanilla. Bring to a boil and cook until everything has melted and then turn it off and let it sit overnight. In the morning, warm it back up until it's liquid but not too hot to handle. Then pour through a fine mesh strainer to get the coffee grounds out of your oil. I did two passes through the strainer but I didn't really need to. Add your vanilla and then pour your oil into your mixing bowl and let it firm up. When it's firm whip it up.

Benefits Of Caffeine For Skin

Caffeine is increasingly being used in skincare. Besides boosting your mood, it can improve your skin as well. Cosmetic companies are incorporating caffeine in their range of skincare products. Incorporating caffeine in your skincare routine can provide you with an even toned and smooth skin. Some of its skincare benefits are as follows.

11. Fights Free Radicals

Free radicals are responsible for causing premature skin aging. This results in the appearance of wrinkles, sun spots and loss of elasticity. The antioxidants contained in caffeine can attack these free radicals and eliminate them. This will improve the overall look of your skin. For this reason, caffeine is widely used in anti-ageing day and night creams in conjunction with retinol.

12. Soothes Inflammation

Caffeine possesses anti-inflammatory properties that make it effective in reducing inflammation and redness in your skin. It is often used as an ingredient in anti-inflammatory creams to enhance their effectiveness. Using caffeine in skincare products can reduce and prevent inflammation and redness and give you beautiful, even skin tone.

13. Treatment of Under Eye Dark Circles

Under eye dark circles can be caused by various factors such as dehydration, allergies, lack of sleep or genetics.

Caffeine cannot cure hereditary dark circles. Its anti-inflammatory properties make it beneficial in reducing puffiness and inflammation associated with dark circles.

Caffeine also reduces the accumulation of blood under your eyes which contributes to dark shadows.

Eye creams meant to erase dark circles contain caffeine. Tea leaves contain caffeine. So you can apply moist tea bags under your eyes for 5 minutes to reduce dark circles and puffiness.

14. Reduces Cellulite

Caffeine present in skin care products can dehydrate fatty cells. This results in the water disappearing from the surface of your skin. This minimizes the appearance of cellulite, thus providing you with a smoother skin.

Research at the University of Sao Paulo has proven that the application of skin cream containing caffeine reduced the size of cellulite fat cells by 17%. A number of anti-cellulite creams are available that can decrease the appearance of cellulite. Another way to use caffeine is to add ground or instant coffee to regular body scrub at home.

15. Treatment Of Rosaceae

Caffeine constricts blood vessels to reduce redness. This makes it an ideal treatment for facial flushing and rosaceae. When applied topically, caffeine works as a diuretic, aids in circulation and is also a powerful antioxidant. Thus, it has the ability to calm irritated and reddened skin caused by sun damage and rosaceae.

16. Repairs UV Damage

Studies have indicated that caffeine may also repair the skin damage caused by exposure to UV rays. It is considered a stronger antioxidant than the polyphenols contained in green tea. In fact, it is among the best and strongest antioxidants to combat UV damage.

17. Tightens Skin

Another added benefit of caffeine is that its topical use can tighten fine lines and smooth puffy skin. Caffeine used in creams is absorbed by your skin to firm and tighten its appearance. It also inhibits the growth of skin cancer cells. Beauty products often include caffeine as it can provide you with a flawless appearance.
    http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/a...ir-and-health/

The finished product.

Suz, fresh or used coffee grounds?
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    Suz, fresh or used coffee grounds?
    I used fresh but I imagine you could use either. I only used fresh because I had some coffee I thought was gross and I wanted to use it up. BTW, I should've strained it more or maybe let it drip through a filter. It didn't appear to have any grounds in it but it felt a little gritty when I put it on this morning. I also didn't consider that the coffee may come off on your clothes. I haven't noticed it but I read someone had a problem with it on a blog. I'll save this batch for bedtime. It does make your skin feel really nice and velvety.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast