Thread: City Sends 6 Cops to Enforce No Dancing Rule at “Monster Mash” Dance Party

City Sends 6 Cops to Enforce No Dancing Rule at “Monster Mash” Dance Party

http://benswann.com/despite-issuing-...h-dance-party/

An event promoter in St. George, UT claims his rights were violated when city officials sent six police officers to monitor his "Monster Mash" dance party and to enforce a ban on dancing at the event, despite the fact that the city issued a permit approving the party. Officers reportedly allowed the event to go on but threatened to arrest the promoter and charge him with a felony for inciting a riot if attendees began dancing.
    Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
    I am an investigative journalist for Ben Swann's Truth in Media
    Check out my liberty-friendly experimental rock/punk/metal band Look What I Did

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Oh, Utah...
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Bumper boats, hu? That's a new one. Looks fun!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homemade_kiddie_inflatable_bumper_boat_for_adults_in_swimming_pool.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	3322

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    Bumper boats, hu? That's a new one. Looks fun!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homemade_kiddie_inflatable_bumper_boat_for_adults_in_swimming_pool.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	3322

-t
    You'd think so, but there's so many gas fumes in such a small space I think I'd rather go kart if I wanna suck up gas fumes or be on a real boat on a lake. It's ok tho, I guess if it's really hot it's one way to cool down.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Weird how the lyrics of this song sound more relevant to today than when the song came out...

-t

I may have ninety-nine problems, but dancin' ain't one of them! Happy Hallow's End,
    Innkeeper Saelienne

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    You'd think so, but there's so many gas fumes in such a small space I think I'd rather go kart if I wanna suck up gas fumes or be on a real boat on a lake. It's ok tho, I guess if it's really hot it's one way to cool down.
    $20 says they are electric.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Oh, Utah...
    It's not "Utah"- everyone is really ticked; it's the gov taking over every aspect of one's life.
    There is no spoon.

42!
    USC!
    1983!
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Should I add this to the thread about government enforced religious beliefs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cops to enforce no dancing at the dance . WTF

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Should I add this to the thread about government enforced religious beliefs?
    Has nothing to do with "religious beliefs". Mormon pioneers danced their way across the plains.

This has to do with money and corrupt city government.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    It's not "Utah"- everyone is really ticked; it's the gov taking over every aspect of one's life.
    Has nothing to do with "religious beliefs". Mormon pioneers danced their way across the plains.

YEPPERS! - Nailed it!

+rep

-t

Real life is retarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

I can dance:

... against the law to dance? WTF

..."inciting a riot"... WTFH
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/...3/854/2290262/

William L. ELAM, Jr., Plaintiff,
    v.
    Belva B. BOLLING, et al., Defendants.

United States District Court, W.D. Virginia, Big Stone Gap Division.
    June 29, 1999

III. Conclusion

While the tagline to Footloose read: "The music is on his side,"[14] in this case the law specifically

the Constitution of the United States, is on the side of the Plaintiff.

Accordingly, the court holds that Chapter 22 of the Town of Pound Ordinance, relating to public dance halls, is unconstitutional on its face, and shall not be enforced. Because the court finds that the Ordinance is unconstitutional on its face, the court need not decide whether it is constitutional as applied to this Plaintiff.
    The Clerk is directed to send certified copies of this Memorandum Opinion to all counsel of record.

ORDER

For the reasons stated in the Memorandum Opinion entered in this case today, Chapter 22 of the Town of Pound Ordinance is declared to be unconstitutional, as it is facially violative of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. Summary Judgment is thus granted to Plaintiff on the issue of the constitutionality of the Ordinance, and Defendant's Motion for Summary Judgment on that issue is denied. Defendants are thus enjoined from enforcing that portion of the Ordinance.

Counsel shall contact the court immediately with regard to setting a date for trial on the remaining issues in the case and shall also immediately notify the court as to whether discovery has been completed as to the other issues in the case. This case shall remain on the docket of this court.
    The Clerk is directed to send certified copies of this Order to all counsel of record.

http://www.sullivan-county.com/identity/dance_pound.htm
    POUND, Va. (May 31, 1999) - Terry Boggs knows of no finer way to end the work week than to put on cowboy boots and dance to his favorite country tunes.

Thanks to a court ruling that struck down this town's ban on dancing, Boggs and other

boot-scooters can now boogie the night away!

"I'm not the greatest dancer in the world, but I like to unwind," Boggs, a 49-year-old trucker, said after dancing one warm July night at the Golden Pine Restaurant.

Not everyone in this town of about 1,000 in the southwestern Virginia mountains shares Boggs' sentiment. Church and town leaders see public dancing as something to be tightly restricted, lest it lead to cheatin' hearts and ruined marriages. Dancing was effectively banned in Pound for 18 years - until June 29, when a federal judge struck down the dance ordinance as

unconstitutional.

U.S. District Judge Glen Williams ruled that the case amounted to an unconstitutional restriction of free expression reminiscent of "Footloose," the 1984 movie about teens rebelling against a small town's ban on dancing. Since the ruling, couples in cowboy hats and boots have turned out in droves to kick up their heels at the Golden Pine. It was William Elam, owner of the Golden Pine, who took the Town Council to court over it's dancing strictures. He grew weary of explaining to out-of-town patrons why they couldn't get down at his night spot. "They would get mad and a lot of them would flat out refuse to sit down," Elam said.

Pound's ordinance banned dancing in any place open to the public that did not first obtain a dance hall permit from the Council. Supporters of the ordinance said it was a way of cracking down on the bad behavior associated with dancing. "There's bound to be trouble when you mix drinking, country music and dancing," said Danny Stanley, the only member of the five-person Council who would consent to an interview.

Permit seekers has to apply in writing. The law forbade the Council from issuing a permit "to anyone who is not a proper person, nor to a person who is not a person of good moral character." No one was ticketed for dancing - and no one ever received a permit. Until Elam and the Golden Pine came along, nobody had sought one, said town attorney Gary Gilliam. Elam applied about a year ago, but withdrew the application out of fear that it would be rejected. More than 200 people showed up at a Council meeting to oppose Elam's application.

That's when Elam hired a lawyer. "We got the court ruling on Wednesday, and we were dancing on Friday," he said. Now the Council is rewriting it's ordinance more narrowly to pass constitutional muster. Town building inspectors also say the Golden Pine does not meet the state's fire code for dance halls, and could close him down because of it. In the meantime, the other bars in town are watching closely. Pound is near a dry Kentucky county, and the nearest dance club is 20 miles away. "We're taking a wait-and-see approach right now," said Genetta Boggs, owner of the Candlelight Restaurant, which serves alcohol. "If it turns out that dancing is legal, we'll have to do whatever it takes to compete."
    Last edited by presence; 10-31-2014 at 08:20 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    it's the gov taking over every aspect of one's life.
    Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    ... against the law to dance? WTF

..."inciting a riot"... WTFH
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWEm4p3Dopw

Quote Originally Posted by aGameOfThrones View Post
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

I guess Utah is more strict than my Christian college... wow...

Just another reminders that cops are not upstanding citizens, that they do not protect us, and that they aren't our friends.

Someone please post a Footloose something or another. On the phone.

Never mind. Saw it. Thanks.
    Last edited by Slave Mentality; 10-31-2014 at 08:18 PM.

so the kids they dance and shake their bones.

Ashes to ashes,, all fall down.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Inciting a "riot."