Thread: Milk Does a Body Good?

Milk Does a Body Good?

Does a Body Good? New Study Adds to Milk's Growing Image Problem

Long a staple of weekly grocery lists, the snow-white picture of purity, the unassailable go-to drink for good health, milk—yes, milk—is experiencing something of an image problem. The dairy identity crisis is no doubt thanks to a growing number of studies like the one released this week out of Sweden that suggests moo juice isn’t the magic elixir it has long been cracked up to be.

The new research calls into question one of those pieces of conventional wisdom that few of us would even think to disagree with. We all know that calcium-rich milk helps to build strong bones, right? For adults, that’s supposed to mean fewer bone fractures. Maybe not. A vocal chorus of public health experts, including those at the Harvard School of Public Health and the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, have long pointed out that there’s little scientific evidence to support the notion that drinking milk leads to better bone health—not enough to justify the current federal dietary recommendation of drinking three cups a day. The new study, published in the journal BMJ, would seem to add more fuel to this skepticism. Researchers reviewed detailed dietary information for more than 100,000 Swedish women and men and tracked their health outcomes for up to 23 years, and they found no evidence that drinking more milk correlated with a decreased risk for bone fracture.

Among women the results were most surprising. Women who drank at least three glasses of milk a day (which, let’s remember, is consistent with U.S. guidelines) were 16 percent more likely to experience a bone fracture—and 60 percent more likely to break their hips—than women who drank less than one glass a day.

Even more alarming, women who drank more milk were 90 percent more likely to die of cardiovascular disease and 44 percent more likely to die from cancer during the course of the study.

Milk-drinking men fared better, in the sense that those who drank three glasses of milk a day were "only" 10 percent more likely to die earlier, a risk that researchers tied to a 16 percent greater chance of suffering from cardiovascular disease.

Bottom line: Researchers found no positive health benefits from drinking more milk. On the contrary, the study suggests that drinking too much milk might do a body more harm than good.

But the news wasn’t all bad for the dairy industry. Unlike milk, fermented dairy products such as yogurt, cheese, sour cream, and buttermilk appeared to have at least some protective benefits, at least for women. As the Los Angeles Times reports:

Among all of the women in the study, those who ate more of these fermented dairy foods had lower rates of fractures and premature death compared with women who ate less of them. Each additional serving corresponded with a 10 percent to 15 percent reduction in the risk of both, the researchers found. However, the effects for men were ‘more modest’ or ‘non-existent,’ according to the study.

The study’s authors weren’t able to determine why this was the case, although they have a theory. While milk is notably high in lactose, fermented dairy products aren’t (the fermentation process eats up the lactose). When the body metabolizes lactose, it generates something called D-galactose. Prior animal-based studies have found D-galactose isn’t so great for the body, causing “oxidative stress damage, chronic inflammation, neurodegeneration, decreased immune response, and gene transcriptional changes.” As the Times points out, “when scientists want to mimic the effects of aging, they give animals shots or food containing D-galactose.”

As the Swedish research team admits, none of this is conclusive evidence that milk is bad for you. But for many health experts, there’s now enough science to debunk the notion that you can never get enough milk. The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine cites a litany of studies that have found milk consumption does not lead to healthier bones in children, adolescents, or adults, while drinking milk has been linked to a higher risk for certain cancers.

For its part, the Harvard School of Public Health doesn’t even list dairy as part of its “Healthy Eating Plate,” which it developed as an alternative to the federal government’s "MyPlate." The university's diet guide is “based exclusively on the best available science” and not subject to “political or commercial pressure from food industry lobbyists"—like the dairy lobby, which has doubled its political contributions over the last decade, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

As the Harvard website explains: “It’s not a news flash that calcium is key for healthy bones. Getting enough calcium from childhood through adulthood helps build bones up and then helps slow the loss of bone as we age. It’s not clear, though, that we need as much calcium as is generally recommended, and it’s also not clear that dairy products are really the best source of calcium for most people.”

So what are some arguably better sources? Nutrition experts say you can get plenty of calcium in leafy greens (kale, bok choy, and collards are particularly calcium-rich), beans, and fortified beverages such as soy milk and orange juice.
    http://news.yahoo.com/does-body-good...185332635.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ya cause the cows are eating grains - grains are bad for you. Grass fed dairy and raw pastured dairy are good for the vast majority of the population.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

It's also the pasteurization process that is bad. Even the Organic companies are using Ultra Pasteurized milk which is doubly bad for you.

Ultra-Pasteurized Milk
    http://www.westonaprice.org/health-t...teurized-milk/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Ya cause the cows are eating grains - grains are bad for you. Grass fed dairy and raw pastured dairy are good for the vast majority of the population.
    Its alway so hard to get any sense of what was discovered in a study when the products they're studying are so schwag. Is it the gmo corn the cows are fed? The hormones that make their ninnies hang to the ground? The homogenization? The pasterization? The litany of antibiotics? The plastic cartons the stuff is stored in? It goes on and on... we're so detached from what is pure and natural, and in keeping with what man evolved upon for 1000's of years that you really have no idea what causes anything anymore.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

The study surveyed what people said they had consumed in the last six months- not what they consumed over their entire lifetimes. Things like family history were also not included.

This chart for Canada shows milk consumption rising from teens on up by age group. Bone fractures and cancers also tend to rise in higher age groups so perhaps the Swedish study does not show what it might at first seem to.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-624-...chart2-eng.htm

Corelation is not necessarily causation.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-30-2014 at 05:26 PM. Reason: better chart

Quote Originally Posted by satchelmcqueen View Post
    i love milk.
    Me too. I don't drink soda (aside from occasional homebrew gingerale), occasionally coffee, usually water and sometimes tea. I don't care what anyone says, I take a swig right from the about bottle once a day when it comes to milk, standing in front of the open fridge--that's the only way I like it.

So yeah, don't drink the milk if you're ever a guest here and are squeamish.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I take a swig right from the about bottle once a day when it comes to milk, standing in front of the open fridge--that's the only way I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pessimist View Post
    gross
    It is Amy. Get use to it.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I have read that A1 Beta Casein is a concern with dairy from several common species of cows, even if it's pastured (100% grassfed).

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Its alway so hard to get any sense of what was discovered in a study when the products they're studying are so schwag. Is it the gmo corn the cows are fed? The hormones that make their ninnies hang to the ground? The homogenization? The pasterization? The litany of antibiotics? The plastic cartons the stuff is stored in? It goes on and on... we're so detached from what is pure and natural, and in keeping with what man evolved upon for 1000's of years that you really have no idea what causes anything anymore.
    One of the biggest deals lately is the issue of consumption of Omega 6 polyunsaturated fatty acids, especially as a ratio of our consumption of Omega 3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Grain fed animals have a poor ratio of these. Many other foods are unsatisfactorily concentrated with Omega 6 as well. Some of the worst offenders are most oils. Some of the worst oils include soybean oil, grapeseed oil, corn oil, and many others. Soybean oil, for example, is prevalent in many processed foods.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I have read that A1 Beta Casein is a concern with dairy from several common species of cows, even if it's pastured (100% grassfed).
    Hmm a modern genetic mutation of western cows from about 5k years ago, interesting..

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-the-milk.aspx
    http://www.naturalnews.com/033384_a1...sein_milk.html

Apparently it's ok to consume grass fed butter whether it contains A1 or A2, but milk, cheese and yogurt should be from A2 sources. Good to know, I eat mostly butter but do have some milk at times and ice cream.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    It is Amy. Get use to it.
    You know you do worse.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

You know you do worse.
    Are you saying he gets his milk from the tap?!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Are you saying he gets his milk from the tap?!
    I wouldn't be entirely surprised.

Hmm a modern genetic mutation of western cows from about 5k years ago, interesting..

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-the-milk.aspx
    http://www.naturalnews.com/033384_a1...sein_milk.html

Apparently it's ok to consume grass fed butter whether it contains A1 or A2, but milk, cheese and yogurt should be from A2 sources. Good to know, I eat mostly butter but do have some milk at times and ice cream.
    Thanks for the good links. Everyone should take a look at those.

Also, goat's milk and sheep's milk are essentially free of this problem. I saw goat and sheep yogurt at Whole Foods but it was pricey, if memory serves.
    Last edited by anaconda; 11-04-2014 at 05:24 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Do you know that humans are the only mammals on the planet that continue to drink milk after infancy? Scwewy...

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Do you know that humans are the only mammals on the planet that continue to drink milk after infancy? Scwewy...
    If you have a cat,put a saucer of milk in front of it and tell it that.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    If you have a cat,put a saucer of milk in front of it and tell it that.
    Oh, yeah. I forgot about cats. Heh. Figgers they'd be the igrant ones to screw up my theory.

Oh. And a mad cow...
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-04-2014 at 06:04 PM.

i don't give my cat milk anymore.....just pukes it up later.

i hate milk.

that is all.

This is the milk I buy. It comes in the old fashioned glass bottles, and I get 1.50 return on each bottle. http://claravaledairy.com/
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

My local (big name) grocery has half gallons in glass bottles from Strauss http://strausfamilycreamery.com/about/story with the fat on top (you have to stir it in). Cost about $5.00 for half a gallon plus $1.25 deposit. Gallons of organic in plastic are about the same price.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

You know you do worse.
    And most of it unfit to be reprinted on RPFs due to its obscenity. :P /vommit
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    If you don't have lactating friend, it's the easiest way to get properly nourished.