Thread: Two Sovereign Citizens on Trial for ‘Paper Terrorism’

Two Sovereign Citizens on Trial for ‘Paper Terrorism’

http://www.independent.com/news/2014...per-terrorism/

Sovereign Citizens on Trial for ‘Paper Terrorism’
    Two Men Charged with Conspiring to File False Lien on Judge’s Home

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Democracy may not be on trial, but Tom Murphy and Jeff Lind are. The two have ties to the anti-government “sovereign citizen” movement and are accused of conspiring to file a false lien against the Solvang home of a Santa Barbara County judge in a lengthy and bizarre series of legal challenges and political protests that dates back to 2010. They each face felony counts and maximum sentences of three years and eight months in prison, and their trial is scheduled to start this week.

The saga began when Lind, a marketing executive who lives in Orcutt and works in nearby San Luis Obispo, allegedly threatened a police officer who had arrested his son for driving under the influence. Lind was charged with witness intimidation and ordered to appear before Judge Kay Kuns. Claiming to not recognize the court’s authority over him, Lind ​— ​with help from Murphy, a dogged sovereign citizen crusader living in Los Osos at the time ​— ​loosed an avalanche of filings and paperwork claiming $77 million in damages against Kuns for violating his rights.

Authorities in similar cases around the country have termed the tactic “paper terrorism” meant to harass and frustrate court systems and county counsel offices and used to retaliate against what sovereign citizens perceive as governmental overreach. No matter how ridiculous the documents may read, they still must be vetted for legal significance or potential liability. Just two weeks ago, a 44-year-old Chicago woman who had joined the movement was sentenced to 10 years in prison for filing a series of bogus liens against a number of the city’s judges and prosecutors. In September, a Georgia sovereign citizen was convicted for the same crimes. On the issue of liens, which can be filed by anyone under the Uniform Commercial Code regardless of validity, the target often takes a hit on his or her credit rating and must endure a painstaking process to have the lien removed.

In this case, Santa Barbara prosecutor Brian Cota contends that Murphy and Lind tried to file the lien against Kuns’s home in an “extortion-like attempt” to get Lind’s witness intimidation charge case dismissed, not because they thought they had a legitimate claim over the property. Cota dismissed Murphy and Lind’s defense that they truly believe the court has no jurisdiction over them, pointing to a 2008 case in which Lind pleaded to a “wet and reckless” charge ​— ​a reckless driving charge with minor drug or alcohol involvement — and accepted a probation sentence. Their intent all along, he argued, was simply to distract and deflect with “spurious gibberish.”

Cota also noted that the names of dozens of people with bare involvement in the case ​— ​from Sheriff Bill Brown to county administrative staffers ​— ​appear in filings and online postings created by the pair. Some of the documents are labeled with assault weapon models, and many contain veiled threats, Cota said. On Monday, Murphy and/or Lind distributed fake arrest warrants for Cota, DA Joyce Dudley, Supervisor Steve Lavagnino, and others. The warrants were issued by Murphy’s fabricated organization, the National Standards Enforcement Agency out of Missouri that purports to convene its own Grand Jury.

During pretrial motions this week, Judge Jean Dandona ruled that because of the pair’s “extraordinary history” of perceived harassment, jurors would be referred to not by name but by number. Such unusual restrictions are normally reserved for gang trials. Defense attorneys Jeff Chambliss, representing Lind, and Robert Landheer, representing Murphy, objected to the decision, saying their clients pose no threat to jurors or anyone else. While neither defendant has a history of physical aggression, the sovereign citizen movement’s reputation for occassional violence has prompted a security increase in the courtroom and at the DA’s Office.

In his comments to Dandona, Landheer often suggested that the trial could ​— ​and indeed, should ​— ​include discussion around his client’s political ideology as it would be central to the legal argument over intent. He said his client has been unfairly labeled by the DA’s Office as a “domestic terrorist” and that he believes Murphy’s prosecution is a “witch hunt.” “It is a political case,” he declared, “and I will say it as many times as I can.” Dandona disagreed, ruling Landheer must stick to addressing the specific charges and that he can’t bring politics into the proceedings. “The issues are narrow,” she said. “I don’t believe democracy is on trial.”
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    bump
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Paper terrorism, I wonder if they threatened to just tear up their copies of their "social contract" (so-called)?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Paper terrorism, I wonder if they threatened to just tear up their copies of their "social contract" (so-called)?
    Well they did that too, but they also tried to sue a judge for a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Well they did that too, but they also tried to sue a judge for a lot of money.
    You will not win against them in their own courts.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Truer words have not been spoken...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Ya that's what I commented on the article, these guys were just asking permission to steal from a corrupt system, they didn't actually go to the judge's house and take his stuff.

Isn't the bigger issue that the liens are fraudulent claims of money that isn't actually owed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Isn't the bigger issue that the liens are fraudulent claims of money that isn't actually owed?
    I doubt it, they apparently claimed that their rights were violated and since they believe their rights were violated the claim is not fraudulent.

It's like saying, "hey, I'm suing you for $1 billion for serving me coffee that was too hot and I spilled it on me.." if they actually served you hot coffee and you spilled it on yourself. The claim isn't fraudulent, it's the amount of money which is in dispute and whether they are actually liable for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    What makes you think the liens are fraudulent ?

Irrespective of whether or nor the liens are fraudulent the system will try to lock your azz up for this type behavior.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    What makes you think the liens are fraudulent ?
    I don't believe that there's any possibility that the judge purchased $77 million in goods or services from them.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's like saying, "hey, I'm suing you for $1 billion for serving me coffee that was too hot and I spilled it on me.." if they actually served you hot coffee and you spilled it on yourself. The claim isn't fraudulent, it's the amount of money which is in dispute and whether they are actually liable for it.
    The lien comes after you prove liability, not before.
    Pinochet is the model

Maybe all the people need to file a lien on the government. The real question might be if we did this would the government feel terrorized? I know I am such a dreamer. I must be inhaling to many chem trails.

A guy I know in Raleigh, N.C. has been fighting bank fraud and an illegal foreclosure on his home and they have placed his picture at the court house naming him a paper terrorist with instructions not to accept any documents he files with the court; i.e., Motions, Complaints, etc.