Thread: CA-SWAT cop shot by suspect while raiding home at 0400

Exclamation CA-SWAT cop shot by suspect while raiding home at 0400

“Dynamic entry” raids are still dangerous for cops, too

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...-for-cops-too/

By Radley Balko October 29 at 6:03 PM

A sad story from California:

A SWAT officer died early Wednesday, a day after being wounded by a shotgun blast while attempting to force open a door during a pre-dawn raid at a Southern California home, authorities said.

Pomona Police Officer Shaun Diamond, 45, succumbed to his injuries at a Pasadena hospital, Chief Paul Capraro said in a statement.

The suspect in the shooting, David Martinez of San Gabriel, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder of a police officer. He was jailed on $4 million bail, and it wasn’t immediately known if he had a lawyer.

Diamond was wounded as he attempted to lead fellow officers into the home around 4 a.m. Tuesday, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Eddie Hernandez said.

“When Officer Diamond was attempting to breach the outer door of the location, the interior door opened and he was met with gunfire,” Hernandez told reporters at a news conference outside the hospital.

He said Diamond, who was wearing a helmet, appeared to have been struck in the back of the head by a single gunshot that also hit the suspect’s father in the arm.

Martinez, 36, surrendered without incident, Hernandez said. Officers did not return fire because the suspect’s father was in the way, he said.

This article from the Pasadena Star-News has a few more details:

On Tuesday morning, a group of about 14 officers arrived at the location, announced their presence, and when no one opened the door, attempted to break the lock on an outer door, said Lt. Eddie Hernandez of the Sheriff’s Department homicide bureau.

As Diamond worked to open the door, investigators think Martinez’s father opened the interior door and Martinez fired a shotgun from behind his father.

The spread of the shotgun hit Martinez’s father in the arm and Diamond in the head, Hernandez said . . .

After discharging the shotgun, the suspect dropped his weapon and lay on the ground before officers reached him. Only one shot was fired, and it was fired by the suspect, Hernandez said.

There is no indication law enforcement personnel serving the warrant were ambushed, he said.

“The officers at this point did not have a clear shot on the suspect,” Hernandez said.
    The warrant was served at 4am. Martinez has a criminal history, including domestic abuse and assault with a deadly weapon. That said, his actions here strongly suggest he thought his house was being invaded by criminals. If Martinez knew these were cops and decided to take them on, whether with the intent of killing them all or to escape, it makes little sense for him to fire a single shot, then immediately surrender. That sounds much more like the actions of a guy who was taken by surprise, fired his weapon in self-defense, then surrendered when he realized the people breaking into the house were law enforcement officers.

There may well be more, but this at least the third incident I can think of in a year in which a law enforcement officer was killed during a dynamic entry raid to serve a warrant. In one Texas case, the man who killed the officer was cleared by a grand jury. The police found some pot plants in his home. A second Texas man is currently facing murder charges. The police found no drugs in that home. And then there are of course the people killed by police officers in these raids, like David Hooks and Jason Wescott, both killed this year.

Dynamic entry tactics work well when you’re using overwhelming force to defuse an already violent situation. But none of these situations were already violent. This latest incident may have involved a violent person. But he wasn’t in process of committing a violent crime. The tactics the police used here created confrontation and risk. Why not apprehend him as he’s coming or going from the house?

I suspect few people will have much sympathy for Martinez. But the tactics also put his father at risk, a guy neighbors spoke highly of to the local media. These tactics put cops at risk. Other bystanders, like children, are at risk too. All unnecessarily. At some point, maybe we’ll accumulate enough bodies to start realizing that.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What are the odds of Not guilty-self defense?
    Tax is theft. War is murder. Conscription is slavery. Government is organized crime.

If the cops would quit breaking into people's homes in the middle of the night, they wouldn't be getting shot.

The civilized way to serve a warrant is to knock on the door and hand it to the person it is intended for.

Am I the only one who noticed the article says no one answered the door, AT 4AM? Of course no one answered, it's $#@!ing 4am. Who here would answer their door at 4am? if someone was knocking on my door at 4am I sure as hell wouldn't open it. ANYBODY can say they are the police.

They went at 4am so they COULD break into the home. They did not plan on serving a warrant in the conventional way, at all. They knew someone wouldn't answer the door so late/early. They wanted to force entry. Hopefully this man is found not guilty. No sympathy for the cop.
    Last edited by Warrior_of_Freedom; 10-30-2014 at 01:33 PM.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Says a lot about what kind of country you live in, when somebody breaking into your home at 0400 can reasonably be expected to be cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Says a lot about what kind of country you live in, when somebody breaking into your home at 0400 can reasonably be expected to be cops.
    It's actually happened to me before, around 3am, cops snooping around my home, they were at the wrong house. I'm a $#@!ing survivor.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Did they forget the bearcat or something? There's got to be some kind of heavy equipment that they need that could prevent this kind of tragedy.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Did they forget the bearcat or something? There's got to be some kind of heavy equipment that they need that could prevent this kind of tragedy.
    Yeah, an armored vehicle with a battering ram. Just drive into the house and attack the occupants.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Yeah, an armored vehicle with a battering ram. Just drive into the house and attack the occupants.
    Yes, I'm not sure why they don't do that already. Manually knocking down a door using a hand held ram just seems so old fashioned, and dangerous. At least it's still better than knocking on the door and saying "hello, is anybody here? we'd like to talk". LOL, the funny things people used to do before technology.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

They need one of these, an "Armored Rescue Vehicle"

I guess they just don't have the budget for it like LAPD. It's a shame too, because if just a little more $ had been spent on officer safety, Officer Diamond would still be alive.
    - Kim Kardashian

“Dynamic entry” raids are still dangerous for cops, too
    Not dangerous enough or they'd quit that $#@!...

I'll not cry one tear........

They need one of these, an "Armored Rescue Vehicle"

I guess they just don't have the budget for it like LAPD. It's a shame too, because if just a little more $ had been spent on officer safety, Officer Diamond would still be alive.
    Yeah, they can use that to rescue you from your life.

His mistake was not grenading the baby first

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    His mistake was not grenading the baby first
    That's actually a good point. No flashbangs? They clearly screwed up somewhere. At least Officer Diamond did not die in vain... they learned a difficult lesson from this. Next time they'll do it right.
    - Kim Kardashian

GOOD.

Shame he didn't accidently pick off more of them.

How $#@!ing hard is it to knock and the door at a reasonable hour and say "come out with your hands up we have a warrant for your arrest".

This swat tactic bull$#@! to serve simple $#@!ing warrants has gone way too far.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

"People may not always understand why, but an armored vehicle is almost a necessity now," [Stettin, Wisconsin Sherrif's Captain Greg] Bean said.
    Bah! San Gabriel CA (pop. 40,000+) has a much larger tax base than Stettin WI (pop. ~2500).

So if tiny little Stettin can afford an armored vehicle, San Gabriel oughtta have 16 of 'em.

Apparently, San Gabriel cops just ain't as dedicated to "protecting" and "serving" as Stettin cops are.

IOW: Officer Diamond actually died from a deficiency of esprit de corp ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    GOOD.

Shame he didn't accidently pick off more of them.

How $#@!ing hard is it to knock and the door at a reasonable hour and say "come out with your hands up we have a warrant for your arrest".

This swat tactic bull$#@! to serve simple $#@!ing warrants has gone way too far.
    Or the old fashioned stake out? Bunch a plain clothes take them into custody as they're unsuspectingly getting into their car, picking up a pizza, buying beer, etc?

Oh right, that requires a brain and not tacticool

I don't want to live there and I will not.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    Am I the only one who noticed the article says no one answered the door, AT 4AM? Of course no one answered, it's $#@!ing 4am. Who here would answer their door at 4am? if someone was knocking on my door at 4am I sure as hell wouldn't open it. ANYBODY can say they are the police.

They went at 4am so they COULD break into the home. They did not plan on serving a warrant in the conventional way, at all. They knew someone wouldn't answer the door so late/early. They wanted to force entry. Hopefully this man is found not guilty. No sympathy for the cop.
    Funny that. Since I've been reading these stories on raids over the last few years, 3am being the "witching hour," I've been waking at about 2:30am every morning. I haven't programmed myself to do it. It just happens. And it usually takes an hour or so until I can get back to bed.

A sad story from California:
    No tears from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.