Thread: Meet the grape that tastes like cotton candy

Meet the grape that tastes like cotton candy

Grapes (great) + Cotton Candy (awesome) = Fruity Sweet Deliciousness

I have to try these. Has anyone noticed them in stores?

Grapes are a special fruit in my opinion. Even the most regular “table grapes” are sweet and satisfying enough to seem like a dessert. When they are in season, we also enjoy some of the smaller grapes, such as our favorite, Reliant grapes, which have a full-flavored sweetness with a bit of a tang.

Because we love grapes so much, I found it interesting to learn that a new breed was making its way to stores. This grape has an interesting claim: it tastes a bit like cotton candy! I wasn’t sure what to make of the idea. Is that a way to encourage children to eat grapes? Are we saying older breeds of grapes aren’t good enough?

In an NPR interview, David Cain, the horticulturist who developed this grape, says the opposite is true. He doesn’t want to move away from traditional grapes; he wants to bring them back! In recent years, grapes have been bred not for flavor, but for transportation needs. This practice has meant a significant loss of flavor in grapes over time.

We've seen a revival of other produce items – such as the many types of apples and tomatoes now available. I always appreciate when I see the less beautiful, but so flavorful heirloom tomatoes available, for example. Cain is wants to do the same with grapes — without genetically modifying them or using other artificial means — by simply using the old practice of plant breeding.

Grape breeders have developed varieties that have hints of melon, strawberry, pineapple and mango. But the Cotton Candy grape variety is the first one to hit the market, and it has been so successful at stores that the fruit’s distributor is doubling the planted acreage for the grape this year

And the reason these grapes taste so sweet? Most of the tartness of the grape has been bred out, creating a super sweet grape. Vanilla is the flavor associated with cotton candy, so breeders have used older breeds of grapes that contain the flavor profile to add a special touch. They also took some of the characteristics of the Concord grape, while leaving behind that grape's propensity for skin that falls off and seeds.

It wasn’t an easy process, and took over 100,000 test tube plants before the breeders stumbled across the right flavor profile, but the grape seems to be doing well so far.

Read more: http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eati...#ixzz3HcbjBOvC

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes I sampled them. A slightotal taste of CC. Not my favorite though.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

It wasn’t an easy process, and took over 100,000 test tube plants before the breeders stumbled across the right flavor profile, but the grape seems to be doing well so far.
    Well that's not a whole lot either. Just shows that you don't need GMO's in order to breed new varieties of plants. Who needs insecticide producing plants when you can let them produce cotton candy. My feelings are mixed about this, I like technological improvements or new things but really... CC flavored grapes. It may be natural but to me it's still a bit artificial. Cool that they managed to do it though. Like I said, I have mixed feelings about this.

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    Yes I sampled them. A slightotal taste of CC. Not my favorite though.
    That's a little disappointing to hear but I still want to try them. Thanks for the heads up, I'll lower my expectations to avoid disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Well that's not a whole lot either. Just shows that you don't need GMO's in order to breed new varieties of plants. Who needs insecticide producing plants when you can let them produce cotton candy. My feelings are mixed about this, I like technological improvements or new things but really... CC flavored grapes. It may be natural but to me it's still a bit artificial. Cool that they managed to do it though. Like I said, I have mixed feelings about this.
    Cotton candy is good for the soul, mine anyway. If someone can make a healthier alternative, I'm all for it.

Cotton candy a flavor? I always thought of cotton candy as infused with different flavors like strawberry, apple, vanilla etc. But then again why make grapes to resemble the taste of a food item that flourished during a time when Americans had little to eat but sugar spun into fluff? I mean did these people not know about pecan flavor or some other flavor that actually taste good?

The first and last time I tried cotton candy, the sugar shock almost killed me. You gonna have to pay me money to eat grapes that tasted like cotton candy. Eww, on the other hand, ill empty my bank account for grapes that tasted like a pecan pie (the only reason to tolerate a sugar binge)

1. Y'all are a bunch of cotton candy haters.

2. A dentist invented cotton candy.

Dentist William J. Morrison invented the modern cotton candy machine in 1897 along with a candy maker in Nashville named John C. Wharton. Originally the sugary candy was called "Fairy Floss." The name "cotton candy" ended up becoming popular in the 1920s. No word on how his invention impacted his dentistry practice.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4899202.html

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

1. Y'all are a bunch of cotton candy haters.

2. A dentist invented cotton candy.
    You know this and still eat it? There are a few American stacks that I wonder to myself why they still sold in the snack section. Cotton candy is one and the second is anything made by little debbie. They are just sugar, flour, different cooking/molding process and different coloring. If you think about it, they are not really snack foods just different ways to offer sugar i.e confectioneries

That's awesome and not a GMO! Sell them to a fair vendor and get the children hooked on Cotton Candy Grapes! "Get Your Cotton Candy Grapes Here!"
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    You know this and still eat it? There are a few American stacks that I wonder to myself why they still sold in the snack section. Cotton candy is one and the second is anything made by little debbie. They are just sugar, flour, different cooking/molding process and different coloring. If you think about it, they are not really snack foods just different ways to offer sugar i.e confectioneries
    Yes, about once a year I go crazy and eat cotton candy. I don't buy the stuff at the grocery store though, I like to get it fair fresh.

Well, one thing I wonder about.

What if you were to use these grapes to make wine, would that be good ? Maybe with some bubbles.

What if you were to use these grapes to make wine, would that be good ? Maybe with some bubbles.

Cotton Candy Wine?! For adults who want to reminisce going to the circus and fair. Cotton Candy Champagne!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I would TOTALLY drink cotton candy flavored wine. I'm with Suz. YUM!
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

*Realizes he just gave away the best culinary idea of the century*

*Realizes he just gave away the best culinary idea of the century*
    Nope. Someone beat you to the punch. I'm surprised Boone's Farm doesn't come in Cotton Candy.

Divine Flavor, LLC
    get map get map
    PO Box 4187
    Address: 15 Kipper St.
    Rio Rico, AZ, 85648 USA
    Phone: (520) 281-8328
    Fax: (520) 281-8464
    e-mail: pcorona@divineflavor.com
    web site: www.divineflavor.com
    Description: Divine Flavor is a grower, packer and shipper located in the state of Sonora, Mexico, with offices in Rio Rico AZ, commited to providing exceptional quality organic fruits and vegetables.
    Products / Services: Brands: Divine Flavor, Heaven's Best, Alta Products: Table Grapes, Peaches, Nectarines, Plums, Squash, Cucumber
    Certifier: QAI

This company is listed under the following business types:
    Distributor

Not finding what chains they distribute to, but their organic division is a "nitch market" for them.

-t

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    Thanks T, I guess I'll have to settle for cotton candy wine.

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-22-2016 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I came across these for the first time today so I bought a bag. It's been a long time since I had any cotton candy; but these things taste a whole lot like I remember CC tasting; but with a hint of grape mixed in. Definitely worth trying.
    Me too!!! I just bought some at Sams Club.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Nope. Someone beat you to the punch. I'm surprised Boone's Farm doesn't come in Cotton Candy.

I'm used to people stealing my ideas.

Last good idea that was stolen from me was to have 'ready made meals' delivered to people except they aren't ready made.. But they contain fresh and healthy ingredients as well as a detailed and easy instruction to make tasty food.

Anyways, that was my ideas years ago and recently I saw ads for it on TV.. I'm probably not the first with that idea but it does kinda suck when you see it wasn't a bad idea after all.
    "I am a bird"

I like sour grapes...
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

grapes that taste like cotton candy, scream GMO . I'll sit back and see if you people (the women), grow beards and humps on your back. Report back to me in 15 years, and I might try one.

//

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    you should read the article, they aren't gmo. but your impression is probably pretty common since the bag I bought them in has a big NON-GMO prominently displayed.
    Mine say non GMO too. They're pretty good. Much better than the cotton candy apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

They still have Tickle Pink ?

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I like sour grapes...
    I do as well , but I like sour cherries and grapefruit too .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I do as well , but I like sour cherries and grapefruit too .
    I'm with you on all three. I go through major grapefruit binges at times. I think I could eat that and nothing else for weeks.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    grapes that taste like cotton candy, scream GMO . I'll sit back and see if you people (the women), grow beards and humps on your back. Report back to me in 15 years, and I might try one.
    Mrs Oyarde is so lovely I hardly notice the humps on her back .

//