Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Condiment Recipes

Condiment Recipes

I've been working hard to clean up my diet and have been quite successful but I still have trouble with condiments (they're the only processed foods I buy regularly) and those handy dandy seasoning packets. If you have a good recipe put it here and help me kick my Good Seasons Italian (salad crack) habit. TYVM!

Specifically looking for a tried and true taco seasoning, chili mix, Italian dressing and a good (and easy) mayo recipe but any condiment or seasoning would be greatly appreciated.

I found a good ho-made Creamy Italian recipe. I'm not usually a fan of Creamy Italian but I've only ever had store bought, this was tasty.

1 c mayo
    1/2 small purple onion, finely diced
    2 TBSPS red wine vinegar
    1/4 tsp basil
    1/4 tsp oregano
    1/4 tsp thyme
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp paprika

My spicy rub - I like to blacken fish with this.

equal parts

oregano
    thyme
    basil
    salt
    black pepper
    white pepper
    paprika
    cayenne pepper
    cumin

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    From donnay's teriyaki sauce thread.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Homemade Teriyaki Sauce (Mostly Organic)

Ingredients

½ cup soy sauce [Organic]
    ¼ cup brown sugar [Organic]
    1½ teaspoons fresh ginger, minced [Organic]
    1 teaspoon garlic, minced [Organic]
    1 tablespoon honey [Organic]
    1 teaspoon sesame oil [Organic]
    3 tablespoons mirin (see note) [I substituted Sherry]
    ¼ cup water mixed with 3 teaspoons cornstarch [Organic]

Instructions

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
    Store in the fridge for up to a week.

Notes
    Mirin is a sweet Japanese rice wine, similar to sake but with a lower alcohol content and higher sugar content. If you don't have mirin, you can use sherry with a pinch of sugar added to it.

http://www.daringgourmet.com/2013/05...eriyaki-sauce/

*I also added Sesame Seeds to the mixture. I was able to get most of the ingredients in Organic. Delicious recipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarzan View Post
    The cornstarch & water, called a 'slurry', is the thickener. You could adjust the amount of cornstarch to get the thickening of your likeness. 3 teaspoons = 1 Tablespoon, which is what would normally be used for the amount of liquid in this recipe.

Also, I would sauté the ginger and garlic a bit in some oil prior to adding the liquid, just to make sure they get cooked through. That would also flavor the final product a bit more. Careful not to burn it tho.

I would sub rice wine vinegar rather than sherry if I didn't have mirin.
    Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post
    Sounds really good donnay! Thanks! The addition of mirin really sounds interesting, I can easily imagine it. Yum! I love the rice wine vinegar for lots of stuff from green salads to bbq. The honey I have a more difficult time imagining, but the next time I make a basic teri I'll try it on a small side batch. Very curious.

Here's the basic recipe for teri sauce/marinade out this way -the same but different:

Shoyu (soy sauce)
    Water
    Brown sugar
    Garlic
    Ginger
    Lemons (halved)
    White/Yellow onions chopped fine-ish
    -Bring to boil

And here's a basic Kalbi sauce/marinade -great for beef short ribs -Korean ribs/"Flanken style":

Shoyu
    Water
    White sugar (It would change up the taste a bit, but I think I'd use the organic brownish stuff these days -the older I get the more I have to listen to my body)
    Garlic
    Ginger
    Green onions
    Sesame oil
    Black pepper
    -Bring to boil

Drive through neighborhoods on the weekends out here and I guarantee you will smell Teri or Kalbi bbq. Drives me crazy! In a good way.

It's a bit early but I'm starting to get really hungry ! Time for breakfast.

Finally got my black garlic and made this dressing. It's awesome! I didn't have fresh Thyme so I used dried and I used 1/4 of a yellow onion instead of a shallot.

Black Garlic Vinaigrette
    makes about 3/4 cup
    5 to 6 cloves black garlic
    1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
    1 small shallot, roughly chopped
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    pinch cayenne pepper

Place all the ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until very smooth.

I made this last week, it's very good.

Yum Yum Sauce (the pink dip at Japanese steakhouses)

INGREDIENTS
    1 Cup Mayo
    3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
    3 tsp white granulated sugar
    2 tbsp melted butter
    ⅜ tbsp paprika
    ⅜ tbsp garlic powder

INSTRUCTIONS
    Whisk all ingredients until combined and then put place in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.

Good looking recipes. I'll have to try some. I have a couple of my own to add.

I really love this caesar-dressing, I like traditional stuff but I'm not entirely sure if I do it the original way but it's close enough I think.
    I do not measure so these are approximately what I use, so no guarantees!

1 Egg yolk
    3oz olive oil
    juice from 1/2 lemon
    1-2 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce (THIS STUFF IS GODLY, better to not tell some people what it's made of though)
    1-2 cloves of garlic, smallest pieces you can chop or puree, has to be fresh though.
    Salt and black pepper to taste.

Start with separating the yolk from the egg-white, whisk oil through until a little thicker than what you want it, add lemon juice and worcestershire sauce, garlic, whisk further. Taste, salt+pepper and then a final tasting... Done. (All the stuff regarding raw eggs applies)

This is probably my favorite dressing, I love to eat a salad with grilled or fried chicken, some grilled potatoes, bacon, well a big filled salad... Perfect spring/summer dish to reward yourself with after a day of hard work.

Another sauce I really like making is peanut sauce, satay sauce I believe it is called as well. This is a bit of a local thing since "we" enslaved (basically) the people in Indonesia and while doing that we also stole some of their good food recipes and pretend they are our own, great, I don't really care about the history of it all though when I'm eating it. This stuff tastes good on BBQ chicken or pretty much any grilled/BBQ-ed meat or vegetable. We even use it with our fries here. "Patatje Oorlog", which translates to something like, "War fries", are with mayo, peanut sauce (hot) and diced onions. This existed before freedom fries.. decades or longer.

Anyways, the sauce itself is really easy to make. One problem though, you are going to need a Dutch peanut butter. Sorry to say but american peanut butter is a different product and we wouldn't recognize it as peanut butter. Not saying it is an inferior product, although in my opinion it is, it is just different and not suitable for using in this sauce. Our peanut butter is essentially just peanuts. It's probably available online somewhere, the brand "Calve" is best. One jar will make you a gallon of sauce. It's not that expensive...

You start with a pan on the stove, fry some finely diced onions and garlic. Add a few scoops of peanut butter and slowly add water, keeping it hot but not boiling. Then start adding these things, to taste, not too much; sweet soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, lime juice, ginger powder, paprika powder, chili powder, cumin powder and turmeric. Salt and pepper.

This sauce is best used while hot..

Buy some horseradish and mix it with homemade mayo. It's amazing.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Buy some horseradish and mix it with homemade mayo. It's amazing.
    In HS I worked for a sandwich/sub shop and that was their secret sauce.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

There used to be a guy who had a mobile hot dog operation at an office complex near here. He would cook and dress everything from his little set up, which he drove in from several counties away.

He made his own ketchup and it was the best stuff ever. I asked him what was in it, but he never would say.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

No anchovies in your Caesar or did you forget them in the recipe? I love satay.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Good looking recipes. I'll have to try some. I have a couple of my own to add.

I really love this caesar-dressing, I like traditional stuff but I'm not entirely sure if I do it the original way but it's close enough I think.
    I do not measure so these are approximately what I use, so no guarantees!

1 Egg yolk
    3oz olive oil
    juice from 1/2 lemon
    1-2 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce (THIS STUFF IS GODLY, better to not tell some people what it's made of though)
    1-2 cloves of garlic, smallest pieces you can chop or puree, has to be fresh though.
    Salt and black pepper to taste.

Start with separating the yolk from the egg-white, whisk oil through until a little thicker than what you want it, add lemon juice and worcestershire sauce, garlic, whisk further. Taste, salt+pepper and then a final tasting... Done. (All the stuff regarding raw eggs applies)

This is probably my favorite dressing, I love to eat a salad with grilled or fried chicken, some grilled potatoes, bacon, well a big filled salad... Perfect spring/summer dish to reward yourself with after a day of hard work.

Another sauce I really like making is peanut sauce, satay sauce I believe it is called as well. This is a bit of a local thing since "we" enslaved (basically) the people in Indonesia and while doing that we also stole some of their good food recipes and pretend they are our own, great, I don't really care about the history of it all though when I'm eating it. This stuff tastes good on BBQ chicken or pretty much any grilled/BBQ-ed meat or vegetable. We even use it with our fries here. "Patatje Oorlog", which translates to something like, "War fries", are with mayo, peanut sauce (hot) and diced onions. This existed before freedom fries.. decades or longer.

Anyways, the sauce itself is really easy to make. One problem though, you are going to need a Dutch peanut butter. Sorry to say but american peanut butter is a different product and we wouldn't recognize it as peanut butter. Not saying it is an inferior product, although in my opinion it is, it is just different and not suitable for using in this sauce. Our peanut butter is essentially just peanuts. It's probably available online somewhere, the brand "Calve" is best. One jar will make you a gallon of sauce. It's not that expensive...

You start with a pan on the stove, fry some finely diced onions and garlic. Add a few scoops of peanut butter and slowly add water, keeping it hot but not boiling. Then start adding these things, to taste, not too much; sweet soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, lime juice, ginger powder, paprika powder, chili powder, cumin powder and turmeric. Salt and pepper.

This sauce is best used while hot..

I like to save the old squeeze bottles from prepared mustard and mix my own to refill them.

I take fine mustard powder and mix vinegar with it till it is runny enough to use in the bottle.
    It tastes more like the Oriental mustard and I like it better than the store bought stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    No anchovies in your Caesar or did you forget them in the recipe? I love satay.
    The original recipe does not have anchovies in it. It does however have worcestershire sauce in it, which is made from among other things, anchovies. So no I did not forget, instead I'm very traditional when it comes to these things.

The original recipe does not have anchovies in it. It does however have worcestershire sauce in it, which is made from among other things, anchovies. So no I did not forget, instead I'm very traditional when it comes to these things.
    I didn't know that! Go figure...

Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette
    2 oz balsamic vinegar
    2 oz extra virgin olive oil
    1 oz pure maple syrup (I like Vermont grade B)

This sounds yummy.

Tangy Tahini Salad Dressing Recipe {Dairy, Egg and Gluten Free}

Ingredients:

½ cup Bragg’s Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
    ¼ cup gluten-free soy sauce (I use San-J)
    1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed organic lemon juice
    ½ cup filtered water
    ½ cup tahini
    ½ teaspoon sea salt
    4 organic garlic cloves
    3 tablespoons fresh organic parsley (I used curly, but flat leaved should work fine)
    1 tablespoon raw honey
    ½ cup extra virgin oil (or your favorite oil)
    Directions

Put all ingredients, excluding oil, in your food processor or blender.
    Puree until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
    Drizzle in olive oil and continue mixing.
    When everything is well blended, serve over your favorite salad.

http://www.happy-mothering.com/06/re...alad-dressing/

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Looks tasty...

Anti-Inflammatory Turmeric Dressing

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon of dried dill weed
    2 teaspoons of honey
    3 tablespoons of vinegar
    1/4 cup extra light/ extra virgin olive oil

Directions:

Put all ingredients, as listed in to a glass jar or shaker bottle with a tight fitting lid. Shake well!! Pour and toss over your favorite salad greens. I make this every night for my family’s dinner salad. It is a favorite in our home.

Note: If you prefer a thicker dressing put all the ingredients in a blender with 1/2 an avocado – blend well. Simple, now you have a creamy anti-inflammatory dressing.

http://www.naturalblaze.com/2014/11/...-dressing.html

Cold weather treat.

I have been looking for good recipes to make my own marshmallows without corn syrup. I found one and this turned out great! It goes great with homemade coca--great for gift giving.

Homemade Marshmallows (No Corn Syrup)

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons gelatin (2 envelopes Knox)
    8 tablespoons cold water
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1/2 cup cold water
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Dust an 8- or 9-inch square pan with powdered sugar. Set aside.

2. In a small bowl, soak gelatin in 8 tbsp cold water. Set aside.

3. Combine granulated sugar and 1/2 cup of water in a large heavy saucepan.

4. Cook and stir over medium heat until dissolved.

5. Add gelatin and bring to a boil.

6. Remove from heat. Pour into a large mixing bowl and let stand until partially cool.

7. Add salt and vanilla extract.

8. Beat with an electric mixer until soft and double in volume. About 10-15 minutes.

9. Pour into prepared pan to about 1/2 inch thick.

10. Set to cool until it will not stick to your finger.

11. Cut into 1.5 inch pieces and roll in powdered sugar.

12. Variation: toasted coconut can be substituted for powdered sugar.

13. Variation: other flavorings can be substituted for vanilla extract.

http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-...n-syrup-384069
    Super easy:

3 1/2 cups of Organic cane sugar
    2 1/4 cups of organic cocoa
    1 tbsp. of sea salt

Put ingredients in large bowl and whisk them all together.

2 Tablespoons in mug with hot water or hot milk.

I need a recipe for homemade French dressing. I already make homemade blue cheese and homemade avocado dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    I need a recipe for homemade French dressing. I already make homemade blue cheese and homemade avocado dressing.
    I'm going to give this one a shot, it sounds like the house dressing I used to get at this restaurant we went to when I was kid. I loved that dressing so much that after I got older I would drive the hour (round trip) just to buy the stuff. Sadly, they went out of business and I've been trying to replicate it ever since.

Try some blue cheese crumbles on your salad with french dressing, it's surprisingly good.

I think I'm going to try to substitute the sugar for honey.

Nutrition information at link.

Makes 2 cups

1/4 cup vinegar
    2 tablespoons water
    2/3 cup vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    1 tablespoon onion flakes
    1 tablespoon catsup
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon paprika

Directions:

Measure all ingredients into a jar with a tight fitting lid.
    Cover and shake vigorously.
    Refrigerate overnight to allow onion flakes to soften.
    Keep refrigerated.
    Shake well before using.

http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-...ressing-425466

I'm going to give this one a shot, it sounds like the house dressing I used to get at this restaurant we went to when I was kid. I loved that dressing so much that after I got older I would drive the hour (round trip) just to buy the stuff. Sadly, they went out of business and I've been trying to replicate it ever since.

Try some blue cheese crumbles on your salad with french dressing, it's surprisingly good.

Thanks...let me know how it turns out. I like to put french dressing on cottage cheese and spoon onto crackers.

Our 'French sauce' is a 'regular' vinaigrette, 3 parts oil, 1 part vinegar, some mustard, salt and pepper. We definitely don't add sugar, worcestershire sauce or balsamic can be nice to add, as well as garlic and some herbs but you don't need to add anything if you have high quality oil, olive/walnut/vegetable or a combination of these.

My salsa. I use organic ingredients. This is a condiment in Texas
    Some people cook theirs..I like raw ingredients.

5 Roma tomatoes
    5 chopped green onions
    2 tablespoons chopped garlic ( I like a lot)
    1 bunch cilantro
    1/2 Serrano or 1/4 habanero pepper
    Juice of 1 lime
    Sea salt, pepper to taste
    1 teaspoon vinegar

Blend in blender

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	3375

Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	3376
    Last edited by Carlybee; 11-09-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks!!! We like it raw too. My son loves a fresh salsa we've been buying at Sams but it's really expensive, your recipe sounds like a fresher version of what he likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    My salsa. I use organic ingredients. This is a condiment in Texas
    Some people cook theirs..I like raw ingredients.

5 Roma tomatoes
    5 chopped green onions
    2 tablespoons chopped garlic ( I like a lot)
    1 bunch cilantro
    1/2 Serrano or 1/4 habanero pepper
    Juice of 1 lime
    Sea salt, pepper to taste
    1 teaspoon vinegar

Blend in blender

Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	3375

Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	3376

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks!!! We like it raw too. My son loves a fresh salsa we've been buying at Sams but it's really expensive, your recipe sounds like a fresher version of what he likes.

It's really super easy.

How to Make Homemade Ketchup in Just 2 Minutes

Ingredients:

1 cup organic tomato paste
    1 tbsp raw organic honey
    1 tbsp raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar
    1/4 tsp mustard
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1/4 cup water
    Preparation:

Put all the ingredients in a larger bowl and whick well. Enjoy this delicious homemade ketchup!

- See more at: http://www.healthyfoodhouse.com/how-....w4TKcU3a.dpuf

How to Make Homemade Ketchup in Just 2 Minutes

Ingredients:

1 cup organic tomato paste
    1 tbsp raw organic honey
    1 tbsp raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar
    1/4 tsp mustard
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1/4 cup water
    Preparation:

Put all the ingredients in a larger bowl and whick well. Enjoy this delicious homemade ketchup!

- See more at: http://www.healthyfoodhouse.com/how-....w4TKcU3a.dpuf
    Ok, I'm going to try this! I love ketchup but it's really difficult to make. I always fall back on a bottle of Heinz. I'm ashamed to admit..

Ok, I'm going to try this! I love ketchup but it's really difficult to make. I always fall back on a bottle of Heinz. I'm ashamed to admit..
    Me too. I'm going to try it this weekend. I've been craving a burger and now I have a reason to eat one. It's for you guys, I'll take one for the team and eat the hamburger.

I've only been to the Olive Garden once or twice and didn't think too much of my meal but I do remember liking their salad dressing.

Olive Garden Salad Dressing

1/2 C. mayonnaise
    1/3 C. white vinegar
    1 tsp. vegetable oil
    2 Tbsp. corn syrup
    2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
    2 Tbsp. Romano cheese
    1/4 tsp. garlic salt
    1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
    1/2 tsp. parsley flakes
    1 Tbsp. lemon juice
    One of the best things about the Olive Garden is their never-ending salad bowl. They sell the house dressing right there at the restaurant, but I thought it would be easier (and more frugal) to try and duplicate the Olive Garden salad dressing at home. A quick internet search turned up dozens of recipes, most of which were exactly like the one above.

What’s nice about the Olive Garden salad dressing recipe is that the ingredients are readily available. In fact, you may already have them in your refrigerator/pantry. Toss with fresh tomatoes, Vidalia onions, black olives, croutons, pickled pepperoncini and freshly grated Parmesan cheese to give you a true Olive Garden restaurant experience.

http://www.mommysavers.com/olive-gar...opycat-recipe/

Me too. I'm going to try it this weekend. I've been craving a burger and now I have a reason to eat one. It's for you guys, I'll take one for the team and eat the hamburger.
    Atta girl!

It takes me almost a year to get through a normal-sized bottle of ketchup, there's very few applications that I like it for. If I want tomato-y flavor, I generally just use tomato paste and/or tomato powder.

That said, I'd like to hear your opinion of the recipe.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast