Thread: CHP officer returns $120,000 found in roadway

CHP officer returns $120,000 found in roadway

release the civil forfeiture jokes...

CONCORD, Calif. — An off-duty state highway patrol sergeant found two bank deposit bags stuffed with more than $120,000 in cash on a busy suburban roadway, and immediately handed over the loot, officials said Monday.

The California Highway Patrol officer was driving his personal car in Concord last month when he swerved around the two tire-marked bags, made a U-turn and retrieved the bags, said CHP spokesman Officer John Fransen.

Fransen did not release the officer's name, but said he has been with the agency for 20 years. Authorities say the sergeant was driving on Concord Boulevard on Sept. 17, when he found the money.

Recommended: Could you pass a US citizenship test? Find out.
    He said in a statement released by the CHP that as someone paid to uphold the law it's his job to set an example even when he's not wearing his badge.

"I am happy to hear the rightful owner was identified and that the money has been returned," the sergeant said in a statement.

The money was turned over to Concord police, the rightful owner was identified, and the cash was returned. Police did not say how the money was dropped or how they found the 31-year-old owner, who had the money from the sale of a business.

The CHP plans to present the sergeant with a commendation at a private ceremony later this fall.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-...und-in-roadway
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You or I did the same thing it'd never make print...

One good act doesn't a good person make..

But maybe he's tryin'?

Ummmmmm, I'll return wallets, pursese, etc... if found. Buuuutttt, I don't think I'd return 120,000 found in bags on the road. I think I'd sit on that for a few years. I'd think it was drug money, or something.

$#@!ing hero this guy is. Anonymous is one damn hero in my book. Of course, for fairness sake, I'd like to know how many fines anonymous has collected for the state and for what reason.

I call bull$#@!. Asset forfeiture has been trending and this was a way to counter the negative publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post

I call bull$#@!. Asset forfeiture has been trending and this was a way to counter the negative publicity.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

I agree. This and most other cop agencies have no credibility or trustworthiness, thus, they will manufacture some. It is as simple as sending out a phoney press release.

$#@!ing hero this guy is. Anonymous is one damn hero in my book. Of course, for fairness sake, I'd like to know how many fines anonymous has collected for the state and for what reason.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    I agree. This and most other cop agencies have no credibility or trustworthiness, thus, they will manufacture some. It is as simple as sending out a phoney press release.
    Actually, with the almost total lack of details in this story, you could spin this out in any number of ways.

Maybe the anonymous owner of the money is a cop himself, or related to a cop, or some such thing - and CHP is just "looking out for its own." Hence, no asset forfeiture ...

They said the owner "had the money from the sale of a business." Maybe that business is illegal drugs. And maybe CHP is on the make - and when they found out the owner was one of their "clients," they returned the money because they stand to make much more than $120,000 by maintaining "good relations" ...

Or how about this? Maybe it was a roundabout means of paying off a "death squad" inside CHP for an assassination they performed ...

Or maybe some schmuck really did sell his business for $120,000 in cash, put the bank bags on his car - and then drove off after forgetting about them (like some people do with cups of coffee or gas-pump nozzles) ...

Any of these scenarios (and many others) are entirely compatible with the almost total lack of actual information in this "story" - which is really nothing but a self-congratulatory, back-patting "feel good" PR fluff-piece.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Where is the happy business owner who's so thankful and relieved his money was found? Where's the owner explaining how the crazy thing happened and how the Police are his heroes?

Why the half assed publicity? Why not go all out with gushing about how great PD is? Why is this story so extremely vague?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They left off the part where they beat the business owner and killed his dog, but that's just minor fluff I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.