Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BREAKING: ANTARES rocket just blew up!

BREAKING: ANTARES rocket just blew up!

resupply mission for ISS CATO couple of hundred feet post launch

looks like it blew the $#@! out of the launch pad too.

unclear if it was maned. looks like unmanned.

absolutely spectacular explosion! fell back and huge secondary when it hit the launch pad.
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 10-28-2014 at 04:32 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "obviously a major malfunction"
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Yikes just watched

LIVE

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

"no personnel in the area"

Last edited by presence; 10-28-2014 at 04:56 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Time to increase NASA's budget...

looks like they forgot to toss the mooring rope..
    Last edited by JK/SEA; 10-28-2014 at 06:24 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL5eddt-iAo here is an uploaded video of the launch and explosion.

Looks like it was owned by a corporation. Orbital Sciences Corp. and it failed miserably. Will this waste private money or public money?
    Last edited by 2young2vote; 10-28-2014 at 04:45 PM.
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

It was an orbital science rocket.

better pics should be coming out soon

wow - still nothing on google news.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow, that is hard core.
    Be careful when you pry my gun from my cold dead hands, the barrel will be hot.

I wonder what plan they have to feed those folks on the ISS when things like this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 2young2vote View Post
    Looks like it was owned by a corporation. Orbital Sciences Corp. and it failed miserably. Will this waste private money or public money?
    Depends. Public money paid for the rocket and 5,000 lb payload. The rocket was insured and presumably that included the payload. Still there was custom made equipment on board and re-making it will cost public money. We may have to rent space on a Russian rocket to get food and stuff up to the ISS and repairing the launch facility is probably public money.

-t

Last edited by presence; 10-28-2014 at 05:02 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

they said it took out some vehicles too. That's going to be an interesting call to someones insurance company.

I wonder if the ISS was filming it? That had to be visible from orbit.

-t

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I wonder what plan they have to feed those folks on the ISS when things like this happen.
    experimental animals and fish first (yes, they are doing aquaculture in space)
    then cannibalism.

seriously, though, they expect things like this or weather, etc. to happen so they should be packed deep with rations.

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    experimental animals and fish first (yes, they are doing aquaculture in space)
    then cannibalism.

seriously, though, they expect things like this or weather, etc. to happen so they should be packed deep with rations.

-t

I always assumed they would have atleast a couple months worth EXTRA stashed away.
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cool fireworks
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Google...

she has nothing.
    Don't you mean "The Googles... they do nothing!"

How do I know if this is real?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    This Rocket did not get... "Up and at them."

Seriously though: this looked like a compression failure, where the first stage rockets lost all thrust to a blow out, then it simply fell and ignited the remaining fuel on impact.
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

Launch was originally scheduled for Monday but a boat wandered into a restricted area (safety precaution) and it was delayed. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...esday-evening/

A safety range or launch hazard area of about 1,400 square miles is set up around the launch site so that in case of a failure, no one is at risk.

According to NASA Public Affairs Officer Stephanie Schierholz, public notifications were released to mariners in the vicinity of NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility. The notice outlined the consequences of disregarding the safety range, including fines and even arrest by the U.S. Coast Guard. It’s not yet known what action may have been taken against the passengers of the sailboat that scrubbed Monday night’s launch.
    Schierholz described Monday’s hazard in an email:

On Monday evening, a small sailboat, about 26 feet long, entered the hazard zone early in the launch count. The radar aircraft detected the boat and hailed it several times, but there was no response. The spotter plane made multiple passes around the boat at low altitudes using commonly understood signals (wing waving) to establish contact; however the operator did not respond. The boat was traveling very slowly, about 4 knots, and remained in the hazard area at the time of our scheduled launch.
    More info:
    http://www.cnet.com/news/antares-roc...asa-launchpad/

The Antares rocket was made by Orbital Sciences Corp. and carried an Orbital-made Cygnus CRS-3 spacecraft ferrying about 5,000 pounds for resupplying the International Space Station, the heaviest payload to date for the Virginia-based rocket company. The spacecraft was supposed to dock with the ISS on November 2, when the six-person crew of Expedition 41 was to unload the supplies.

Orbital has a $1.9 billion contract with NASA, signed in 2008, as part of the organization's Commercial Orbital Transportation Services. Today's launch would have marked the third Orbital cargo mission out of a total of eight launches under its NASA contract. Orbital has supplied NASA with launch vehicles for more than two decades with its Pegasus and Minotaur rockets, many iterations of which have 100 percent launch success records.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-28-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    How do I know if this is real?
    Check with Alex Jones
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    resupply mission for ISS CATO couple of hundred feet post launch
    Names is confusing.

How can I see the International Space Station? Top tips for spotting ...
    Mirror.co.uk-Oct 6, 2014
    We caught up with Virtual Astronomer for a complete guide to the ISS (not to be confused with IS or ISIS..

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Best. Episode. Ever.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    Time to increase NASA's budget...
    Cause, you know, NASA has a perfect track record.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Launch was originally scheduled for Monday but a boat wandered into a restricted area (safety precaution) and it was delayed. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...esday-evening/

More info:
    http://www.cnet.com/news/antares-roc...asa-launchpad/
    It sucks that this rocket blew up.That cost an enormous amount of time,work and money to many different entities.

However,the huge area of the ocean that they close off to all traffic and enterprise for all these launches is a joke,you would have a better chance of being struck by lightning than being hit by one of these rockets during an aborted launch.

This has cost me dearly several times in the past and they should just make it voluntary,if you are in the restricted area,you are on your own if a rocket lands on your boat,so don't bother to sue.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

I'm betting it was homegrown terrorism.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Elon Musk's SpaceX does it better. They've already launched four successful resupply missions to the ISS, the most recent of which was just last month. Of course, SpaceX builds their own rockets from the ground up, while Orbital Sciences has been using "off the shelf" Russian engines.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Elon Musk's SpaceX does it better. They've already launched four successful resupply missions to the ISS, the most recent of which was just last month. Of course, SpaceX builds their own rockets from the ground up, while Orbital Sciences has been using "off the shelf" Russian engines.
    Well, it looks like this engine had a combustion chamber rupture.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Well, it looks like this engine had a combustion chamber rupture.
    That's what I thought when I saw the video. Looked to me like something - maybe part of a nozzle? - blew apart right right on the pad. Whatever happened, it looked like it just wasn't generating enough thrust to maintain lift.

Major bummer. Only real bright spot is the fact that no one got hurt. I'll bet they're going to be picking up pieces of this thing for about ten square miles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast