Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: (War on Women) NYC: 10 hours of Harassment or Compliments?

The thing is, no one here is comparing crimes besides the men who commented here trying to make a point; because otherwise they had no point.

"I've never see it."
    "Don't walk around $#@! neighborhoods, then."

How ridiculous.

And then the conversation went to her looks.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator
    Those of us who have real experience...
    Like mine, which was given no attention. So, how about you take your self-righteous "twisted opinion and stick it where the sun don't shine" - if you can manage to, with your head already up there.
    Last edited by Nirvikalpa; 10-29-2014 at 10:07 AM.

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirvikalpa View Post
    The thing is, no one here is comparing crimes besides the men who commented here trying to make a point; because otherwise they had no point.

"I've never see it."

How ridiculous.

Like mine, which was given no attention. So, how about you take your self-righteous "twisted opinion and stick it where the sun don't shine."
    Here's my question though: what do you suggest be done about it?

It's common knowledge for a lot of people not to walk through these type of areas. I was in Baltimore two months ago and was hit up just about every five minutes by someone trying to sell drugs, passports, or getting accosted by random Latinos. Granted, I made the mistake of just walking around downtown Baltimore at one in the morning with some buds, but what can I do about that? Men get robbed and stolen from every day out in the street, but you simply either pack protection or are just smart enough not to walk around those areas. There is little else that can be done other than trying to educate people and lift them out of that kind of mindset.

If that's what you're advocating, I'm down, but we can't make excuses and act like it's every man or woman's fault that these things happen. Education will only go so far when a lot of the men harassing women in the street likely aren't listening and don't pay attention to that sort of thing. And woe to the man who tries to intervene because unless he's prepared he might just get in a street fight and get his lights knocked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    is this just the 'too many 'rats' in one place' theory playing out the symptom in real time?....

whats the solution besides just arbitrarily bashing these idiots with namecalls?....

Men are, statistically, many more times likely to be the victim of a violent crime than women are.

Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    Here's my question though: what do you suggest be done about it?

It's common knowledge for a lot of people not to walk through these type of areas. I was in Baltimore two months ago and was hit up just about every five minutes by someone trying to sell drugs, passports, or getting accosted by random Latinos. Granted, I made the mistake of just walking around downtown Baltimore at one in the morning with some buds, but what can I do about that? Men get robbed and stolen from every day out in the street, but you simply either pack protection or are just smart enough not to walk around those areas. There is little else that can be done other than trying to educate people and lift them out of that kind of mindset.

If that's what you're advocating, I'm down, but we can't make excuses and act like it's every man or woman's fault that these things happen. Education will only go so far when a lot of the men harassing women in the street likely aren't listening and don't pay attention to that sort of thing. And woe to the man who tries to intervene because unless he's prepared he might just get in a street fight and get his lights knocked out.
    Walking somewhere in broad daylight just trying to get to work or get errands done, which is the setting where I've personally experienced this sort of thing, is a vastly different situation from wandering around in Baltimore at 1 AM. This is not limited to "bad neighborhoods", either - plenty of entitled college students on cozy, protected campuses engage in this behavior simply because they can get away with it.

And woe to the man who tries to intervene because unless he's prepared he might just get in a street fight and get his lights knocked out.
    This is precisely the reason why there needs to be a dialogue on this issue and not just "well, boys will be boys and this is all about sex." You have just conceded that there is a threat of violence involved, and so it's not just innocuous comments. Oftentimes those are followed by more specific or persistent harassment. If you think someone is pretty, admire them from afar. Why must attraction be broadcasted so aggressively? Look at them, smile and move on.
    Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever. Thomas Jefferson

But isn't there some level of blame to be placed on somebody, male or female, who knowingly waltzes into a "bad neighborhood"?

There are places in NOLA for instance, that, if you, as a lone white person, male or female, were to wander into at 0300, there's a pretty good chance you are not coming back out, short of in the back of ambulance.

Or a hearse.

Or has political correctness gone so far as to be suicidal now?
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 10-29-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothbardian Girl View Post
    If you think someone is pretty, admire them from afar. Why must attraction be broadcasted so aggressively? Look at them, smile and move on.
    Yes, I already touched on this, it used to be called manners, civility and "acting like a gentleman".

We have been told by the Idiocracy that these things no longer matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothbardian Girl View Post
    Walking somewhere in broad daylight just trying to get to work or get errands done, which is the setting where I've personally experienced this sort of thing, is a vastly different situation from wandering around in Baltimore at 1 AM. This is not limited to "bad neighborhoods", either - plenty of entitled college students on cozy, protected campuses engage in this behavior simply because they can get away with it.

This is precisely the reason why there needs to be a dialogue on this issue and not just "well, boys will be boys and this is all about sex." You have just conceded that there is a threat of violence involved, and so it's not just innocuous comments. Oftentimes those are followed by more specific or persistent harassment. If you think someone is pretty, admire them from afar. Why must attraction be broadcasted so aggressively? Look at them, smile and move on.
    First of all that was just my latest example. I said myself it wasn't smart of me to walk around that time of night, but even during the day in Baltimore it was only a little better. I was actually threatened with violence walking down a main road in Baltimore the day before simply over what I was wearing. And that wasn't my home city either, where I've experienced similar incidents.

The fact is that it isn't just casual harassment, cat-calling, and stalking, it's just a general culture of violence toward outsiders or those who they think they can bully. It takes a lot more than just having a dialogue about not harassing women to fix the problem, at least to me. That's a part of the dialogue, but far from the whole thing. This is a mentality that has been ingrained for years, a simple dialogue isn't going to fix it especially when the people responsible are hardly going to listen and take it to heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

I get it at least twice a week, and have had to duck into a very public place (like a coffee shop) a few times to stop them from following me, or at least help me feel a *little* bit better.

Depending on my mood, sometimes I give it back.

Once I was man-handled and pushed into a store by two (very drunk and seemingly violent) men in broad daylight (the owner and the men were speaking in a foreign language so I knew I wouldn't get any help there) - I really thought I would be fighting for my life that day - I grabbed my keys in my pocket and was really considering the best time to slash them. This was in Brooklyn, and not a bad area, either. No one should be made to feel like that.
    The physical contact is already a crime (battery), and should be.

The verbal abuse isn't a crime and should not be, but it is obnoxious and repulsive. Not sure what to do about it. It is a part of the sick culture of certain groups of males and they are just not going to respond to a public dialogue about it.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    First of all that was just my latest example. I said myself it wasn't smart of me to walk around that time of night, but even during the day in Baltimore it was only a little better. I was actually threatened with violence walking down a main road in Baltimore the day before simply over what I was wearing. And that wasn't my home city either, where I've experienced similar incidents.

The fact is that it isn't just casual harassment, cat-calling, and stalking, it's just a general culture of violence toward outsiders or those who they think they can bully. It takes a lot more than just having a dialogue about not harassing women to fix the problem, at least to me. That's a part of the dialogue, but far from the whole thing. This is a mentality that has been ingrained for years, a simple dialogue isn't going to fix it especially when the people responsible are hardly going to listen and take it to heart.
    They most likely can't read also. But this video isn't a call to action about harassment in general, it's a propaganda piece to hate all men.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'll just leave this here

the war on women is about as much of a war on women as the war on terror is a war on terror
    Last edited by Warrior_of_Freedom; 10-29-2014 at 11:17 AM.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    They most likely can't read also. But this video isn't a call to action about harassment in general, it's a propaganda piece to hate all men.
    Meanwhile your signature claims all police officers are thugs that assault and murder civilians.
    Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever. Thomas Jefferson

Rule of thumb: if it would be weird or dangerous to do the same thing to another man, it's harassment.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

"I've never see it."

How ridiculous.

Like mine, which was given no attention. So, how about you take your self-righteous "twisted opinion and stick it where the sun don't shine" - if you can manage to, with your head already up there.
    I've seen plenty of it. It's called living in a city. If it annoys you that much, leave the city. When the city BS started to annoy me that much, I did just that.

As far as your situation goes, you need to develop a better sense of situational awareness, or you need to get out of the city for your own safety.

You think you're the only person who has encountered a threat on the street? When I lived in NYC I encountered threats all the time. I routinely took evasive action where I perceived these threats, often many times in a single day. Thanks to situational awareness I kept myself mostly safe from them.

Sometimes $#@! happens. Again, it's a big city, and that's part of the terrain.

As far as my hostile comment that you helpfully bolded and repeated, that's my standard response to authoritarian propaganda. The world cannot be made safe for the blissfully-and-purposefully ignorant. What we see going on here are the same exact tactics used for gun control and terrorism scare propaganda, and you of all people ought to be attuned to catch it.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Not having sex for extended periods can be extremely painful physically, mentally, emotionally, psychologically and spiritually. In fact, I think it can become traumatizing for men not to have sex. I believe it causes a host of health problems, I'm not quite sure why the only one that has been documented so far is prostate cancer: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...rostate-cancer

I think a lot of women actually want to have sex, but due to societal pressures from other women, and even men, they abstain because they don't want to be thought of as cheap or a slut or whatever even though they are engaging in a perfectly healthy activity. There's nothing wrong with monogamous sex, imo, however even many men who are monogamous complain that they don't get enough sex. This often leads to feelings of not being appreciated by their spouse.

On top of the societal pressures for women not to have sex, and the seemingly imbalanced nature of the male and female sex drive on a large scale, we have the fact that many women are on anti-depressants and birth control pills that kill their sex drive (there are other effective birth control options available that don't kill the sex drive). It's no wonder men are so desperate for sex... and sex is seen as something that is 'fun', recreational and wholly unnecessary by most of society, even though lack of sex can clearly lead to psychological, emotional, physical and mental impairments.
    shut the $#@! up. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    This is nothing but more padding for HITlery win in 2016.
    /thread
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Oh, and FYI, if you want to face the reality of the situation, look up some crime victim demographics. Even with regards to sex crimes, men in America are more likely to be victimized than women are, and where it comes to other types of violent crime, men face overwhelmingly greater odds of being a victim thereof.

So excuse me if the "poor me I feel threatened by wolf whistles" thing doesn't work with me. Men have far more well-grounded fears of being the victim of a serious crime than women do. Grow a thicker skin.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    shut the $#@! up. thank you.
    No.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wonder what the behavior would be if a spry young black woman took a 10 hour stroll around Hilton Head?

Aspiring actress in ‘catcall’ video receiving rape threats

The woman who was filmed being catcalled 108 times while walking Manhattan streets has received rape threats online, according to the organization that sponsored the public service announcement.

Shoshana Roberts, an actress living in New York City, was catcalled 108 times while walking Manhattan streets in August.
    “The subject of our PSA is starting to get rape threats on the comments. Can you help by reporting them?” the group Hollaback! tweeted after a video showing aspiring actress Shoshana Roberts getting catcalled appeared on YouTube.

The PSA was filmed with a hidden camera and two microphones that picked up unsolicited comments from men like, “Someone’s acknowledging you for being beautiful — you should say thank you more.”

The 2-minute clip, which shows her strolling the streets for 10 hours during a day in August, has received more than 4 million comments on YouTube — some calling her names that are not suitable for publication.

Emily May, co-founder and executive director of Hollaback!, said her office has received about 10 threatening phone calls — and Roberts has been hit with disturbing emails from viewers that she is reporting to the police.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1991391
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Looks like Manhattan is a cesspool. I'm willing to bet that all of them are rapists.

"I've never see it."

How ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Men are, statistically, many more times likely to be the victim of a violent crime than women are.

Just sayin...
    you're an idiot if you believe that

I really wish people could zoom out and see the big picture.

Their only desire is to now get men and women to engage in the same exact debate that's happening in this thread. They want the men on Romneybushpaulclinton side and the females to side with Hilary.

They divide us by race, sex, color and religion all day, every day and most of us walk right into it. All these people know how to do is get us to HATE.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    I really wish people could zoom out and see the big picture.

Their only desire is to now get men and women to engage in the same exact debate that's happening in this thread. They want the men on Romneybushpaulclinton side and the females to side with Hilary.

They divide us by race, sex, color and religion all day, every day and most of us walk right into it. All these people know how to do is get us to HATE.
    "they"

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    But isn't there some level of blame to be placed on somebody, male or female, who knowingly waltzes into a "bad neighborhood"?

There are places in NOLA for instance, that, if you, as a lone white person, male or female, were to wander into at 0300, there's a pretty good chance you are not coming back out, short of in the back of ambulance.
    That is not what is happening in the video or in anyone's posts here. This doesn't just happen in the South Bronx and Brownsville, it happens in Midtown and the Village too.
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

Once I was man-handled and pushed into a store by two (very drunk and seemingly violent) men in broad daylight (the owner and the men were speaking in a foreign language so I knew I wouldn't get any help there) - I really thought I would be fighting for my life that day - I grabbed my keys in my pocket and was really considering the best time to slash them. This was in Brooklyn, and not a bad area, either. No one should be made to feel like that.

This is why I wish more of the general public would understand and support the idea of concealed carry. In my opinion, you would have been fully justified in shooting those guys.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    you're an idiot if you believe that

Idiot?

Telling people to shut the $#@! up?

Who pissed in your Cheerios?
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 10-29-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    That is not what is happening in the video or in anyone's posts here. This doesn't just happen in the South Bronx and Brownsville, it happens in Midtown and the Village too.
    Uh huh...but that doesn't answer my question.

"they"
    Yes "they" the Daily show, the media, that is "they" and they have a plan.
    Last edited by ZENemy; 10-29-2014 at 01:06 PM.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    How long are you going to dance around the fact that 100% of the genuinely objectionable behavior in the video comes from an extremely specific demographic?

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast