Thread: 2014 Mises Circle VIDEOS - Saturday, November 8th (featuring Ron Paul & Judge Nap)

Cool 2014 Mises Circle VIDEOS - Saturday, November 8th (featuring Ron Paul & Judge Nap)

The West Coast Regional Mises Circle will take place in Costa Mesa CA on the 8th of November, 2014.

The Mises Institute (mises.org) will "live stream" the event.

Society Without the State: Law and Order in a Free World
    Join Ron Paul, Judge Andrew P. Napolitano, Lew Rockwell, Jeff Deist, and David Gordon for the Mises Circle in Costa Mesa. This seminar will examine the institutions of a stateless society and explore topics such as private defense, private police, privately produced money, the role of markets, and how stateless legal systems would work.

Here is the tentative schedule (all times Pacific Standard Time):

TIME (PST) EVENT
    10:20 AM Welcome
    10:30 AM Jeff Deist - “The Case for Optimism”
    10:50 AM David Gordon - “Thinkers Who Challenged the State”
    11:10 AM Lew Rockwell - “Against the State”
    11:30 AM Presentation of the 2014 Mises Entrepreneurship Award to Louis E. Carabini
    11:40 AM Lunch and discussion
    1:00 PM Judge Andrew P. Napolitano - “The Natural Law as a Restraint Against Tyranny”
    1:30 PM Ron Paul - “Freedom Doesn’t Come from Government”
    2:00 PM (break)
    2:20 PM Speaker Panel Q&A
    3:00 PM Closing remarks
    3:10 PM (adjourn)

The Case for Optimism | Jeff Deist
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXAGJqoD3v4

Thinkers Who Challenged the State | David Gordon
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FekbXoQBcJI

Against the State | Lew Rockwell
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biX36BIbZPA

The Natural Law as a Restraint Against Tryanny | Judge Andrew P. Napolitano
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4orlWZeF6sg

Freedom Doesn't Come from Government | Ron Paul
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3agqK_aGbWM

Society Without the State | Speaker Panel Q&A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFq6dtO9ZUw

Last edited by Occam's Banana; 11-22-2014 at 11:37 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    bump for "one day to go"

T-minus 4 hours 20 minutes ...

Bump.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Can hardly wait to hear Ron on his topic.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Judge Napolitano coming up in moments ...

Ron Paul coming on now ...

One of the best speeches Napolitano has ever given.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Okay, what the hey is going on, I can't edit my own posts, can't rep anyone, now I can't watch a dang video?
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Really weird.

If I go to that live mises channel, nothing works (says my browser doesn't support any the media formats). Then If I search for another video in that same browser session, no other video works either.

But if I open a new browser window and go to youtube I can watch any video, as long as it's before going to the misesmedia channel and attempting to watch the live session.

NSA, get out of my computer!

Well, maybe it will get posted later?

Any summaries on the Judge's or Ron's topics will be appreciated...well I won't be able to rep you, but you will be in my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    If I go to that live mises channel, nothing works (says my browser doesn't support any the media formats). Then If I search for another video in that same browser session, no other video works either.

But if I open a new browser window and go to youtube I can watch any video, as long as it's before going to the misesmedia channel and attempting to watch the live session.
    Oh, man! I think that means you borked teh Interwebz - now they'll have to reboot the whole thing ...

NSA, get out of my computer!
    After you won Township Trustee, they must've put you on one of their special watch lists - so you'll probably be getting more attention than the rest of us.

The glitches you're experiencing will probably settle down once they get their surveillance code fully installed on your machine ...

Well, maybe it will get posted later?
    Probably. That's what they usually do. I'll update this thread with any individual videos they release from the event.

Speaker Q&A panel is up next ...

Ron Paul was still talking when I lost the feed at 59:00, his audio was weak too -or was that just me?

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    One of the best speeches Napolitano has ever given.
    He was on fire!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Ron Paul was still talking when I lost the feed at 59:00, his audio was weak too -or was that just me?
    It kept cutting and replaying a section of what he already said when I was watching. Napolitano's was a little bit choppy too. I think I missed some of both of the speeches so hopefully they upload them.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    @Occam's Banana,

Any sensitive computers that I have, are never connected to the internet. That includes my shop computer for running the CNC machine and creating 3d models and plans for woodworking projects. So, the Township computer will not be connected.

I'm putting this here because..
    This article is adapted from a speech delivered at the 2014 Costa Mesa Mises Circle, “Society Without the State,” held November 8, 2014.

The Case for Optimism

I promised you some optimism today. Perhaps one of the most optimistic libertarians ever was Murray Rothbard, a happy intellectual warrior if ever there was one. And he was very enthusiastic about the revolution of libertarian ideas, because he understood fundamentally that liberty is the only manner of organizing society that is compatible with human nature and human action. And it was this optimism, this unshakeable belief that we’re right and the statists are wrong, that drove him to produce a staggering body of work in defense of personal liberty. Now let me stress that Rothbard, despite his reputation as an uncompromising intellectual, saw his efforts as pragmatic, not utopian. He understood quite clearly that utopianism was the hallmark of the state’s intellectual champions, not the state’s detractors. He understood that utopianism and statism, not liberty, produced the great monsters and the great wars of the twentieth century.

Most of all, he understood that the true utopians are the central planners who believe they can overcome human nature and steer human actors like cattle. To quote Murray: “The man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, ‘Limit yourself’; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian.” In Rothbard’s eyes a libertarian world would be better, not perfect. So while our revolution is indeed intellectual, it is also optimistic and pragmatic. We should talk about liberty in terms of first principles, and how those principles make for a better society precisely because they accord with the innate human desire for liberty. Let the statists explain their grand schemes, while we offer a realistic vision of a world organized around civil society and markets.

http://mises.org/daily/6963/The-Case-for-Optimism

Why are all those videos private and I can not watch them?
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrex View Post
    Why are all those videos private and I can not watch them?
    You're not in the cool kids club.

J/K - those were links to the live streams, they'll probably be on Mises soon. They may already be there, I didn't check.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    those were links to the live streams, they'll probably be on Mises soon. They may already be there, I didn't check.
    I just checked. They're not up yet.

Still no public videos yet.

Here's an (abridged) audio of Jeff Deist's "The Case for Optimism" from Mises Weekends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPiH4DOCdmg

ALSO: The next Mises Circle event has been announced for January (in Houston TX). Ron Paul will be there ...
    For details, see HERE: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...amp-Tom-Woods)
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 11-16-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Here are the audio files for the presentations:

Jeff Deist - “The Case for Optimism”
    http://library.mises.org//media/Soci...20Optimism.mp3

David Gordon - “Thinkers Who Challenged the State”
    http://library.mises.org//media/Soci...he%20State.mp3

Lew Rockwell - “Against the State”
    http://library.mises.org//media/Soci...he%20State.mp3

Judge Andrew P. Napolitano - “The Natural Law as a Restraint Against Tyranny”
    http://library.mises.org//media/Soci...%20Tyranny.mp3

Ron Paul - “Freedom Doesn’t Come from Government”
    http://library.mises.org//media/Soci...Government.mp3

Speaker Panel: Question and Answer Period
    http://library.mises.org//media/Soci...r%20Period.mp3

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And here's a text version Lew Rockwell's presentation:

Can Anarcho-Capitalism Work?
    http://mises.org/daily/6965/Can-AnarchoCapitalism-Work
    Mises Daily (14 November 2011)

This talk was delivered at the Costa Mesa Mises Circle on Society Without the State, November 8, 2014.

The term “anarcho-capitalism” has, we might say, rather an arresting quality. But while the term itself may jolt the newcomer, the ideas it embodies are compelling and attractive, and represent the culmination of a long development of thought.

If I had to boil it down to a handful of insights, they would be these: (1) each human being, to use John Locke’s formulation, “has a property in his own person”; (2) there ought to be a single moral code binding all people, whether they are employed by the State or not; and (3) society can run itself without central direction.

From the original property one enjoys in his own person we can derive individual rights, including property rights. When taken to its proper Rothbardian conclusion, this insight actually invalidates the State, since the State functions and survives on the basis of systematic violation of individual rights. Were it not to do so, it would cease to be the State.

In violating individual rights, the State tries to claim exemption from the moral laws we take for granted in all other areas of life. What would be called theft if carried out by a private individual is taxation for the State. What would be called kidnapping is the military draft for the State. What would be called mass murder for anyone else is war for the State. In each case, the State gets away with moral enormities because the public has been conditioned to believe that the State is a law unto itself, and can’t be held to the same moral standards we apply to ourselves.

But it’s the third of these ideas I’d like to develop at greater length. In those passages of their moral treatises dealing with economics, the Late Scholastics, particularly in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, had been groping toward the idea of laws that govern the social order. They discovered necessary cause-and-effect relationships. There was a clear connection, for example, between the flow of precious metals entering Spain from the New World on the one hand, and the phenomenon of price inflation on the other. They began to understand that these social regularities were brute facts that could not be defied by the political authority.

This insight developed into fuller maturity with the classical liberals of the eighteenth century, and the gradual emergence of economics as a full-fledged, independent discipline. This, said Ludwig von Mises, is why dictators hate the economists. True economists tell the ruler that there are limits to what he can accomplish by his sheer force of will, and that he cannot override economic law.

In the nineteenth century, Frédéric Bastiat placed great emphasis on this insight. If these laws exist, then we must study them and understand them, but certainly not be so foolish as to defy them. Conversely, he said, if there are no such laws, then men are merely inert matter upon which the State will be all too glad to impose its imprint. He wrote:

For if there are general laws that act independently of written laws, and whose action needs merely to be regularized by the latter, we must study these general laws; they can be the object of scientific investigation, and therefore there is such a thing as the science of political economy. If, on the contrary, society is a human invention, if men are only inert matter to which a great genius, as Rousseau says, must impart feeling and will, movement and life, then there is no such science as political economy: there is only an indefinite number of possible and contingent arrangements, and the fate of nations depends on the founding fatherto whom chance has entrusted their destiny.

The next step in the development of what would later become anarcho-capitalism was the radical one taken by Gustave de Molinari, in his essay “The Private Production of Security.” Molinari asked if the production of defense services, which even the classical liberals took for granted had to be carried out by the State, might be accomplished by private firms under market competition. Molinari made express reference to the insight we have been developing thus far, that society operates according to fixed, intelligible laws. If this is so, he said, then the provision of this service ought to be subject to the same laws of free competition that govern the production of all other goods. Wouldn’t the problems of monopoly exist with any monopoly, even the State’s that we have been conditioned to believe is unavoidable and benign?

It offends reason to believe that a well-established natural law can admit of exceptions. A natural law must hold everywhere and always, or be invalid. I cannot believe, for example, that the universal law of gravitation, which governs the physical world, is ever suspended in any instance or at any point of the universe. Now I consider economic laws comparable to natural laws, and I have just as much faith in the principle of the division of labor as I have in the universal law of gravitation. I believe that while these principles can be disturbed, they admit of no exceptions.

But, if this is the case, the production of security should not be removed from the jurisdiction of free competition; and if it is removed, society as a whole suffers a loss.

It was Murray N. Rothbard who developed the coherent, consistent, and rigorous system of thought — out of classical liberalism, American individualist anarchism, and Austrian economics — that he called anarcho-capitalism. In a career of dozens of books and thousands of articles, Rothbard subjected the State to an incisive, withering analysis, unlike anything seen before. I dedicated Against the State to this great pioneer, and dear friend.

But can it work? It is all very well to raise moral and philosophical objections to the State, but we are going to need a plausible scenario by which society regulates itself in the absence of the State, even in the areas of law and defense. These are serious and difficult questions, and glib answers will naturally be inadequate, but I want to propose at least a few suggestive ideas.

The conventional wisdom, of course, is that without a monopoly provider of these services, we will revert to the Hobbesian state of nature, in which everyone is at war with everyone else and life is “solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.” A ceaseless series of assaults of one person against another ensues, and society sinks ever deeper into barbarism.

For one thing, it’s not even clear that the logic behind Thomas Hobbes’s fears really makes any sense. As Michael Huemer points out, Hobbes posits a rough equality among human beings in that none of us is totally invulnerable. We are all potential murder victims at the hands of anyone else, he says. He likewise insists that human beings are motivated by, and indeed altogether obsessed with, self-interest.

Now suppose that were true: all we care about is our own self-interest, our own well-being, our own security. Would it make sense for us to rush out and attack other people, if we have a 50 percent chance of being killed ourselves? Even if we happen to be skilled in battle, there is still a significant chance that any attack we launch will end in our death. How does this advance our self-interest?

Hobbes likewise speaks of pre-emptive attacks, that people will attack others out of a fear that those others may first attack them. If this is true, then it’s even more irrational for people to go around attacking others: if their fellows are inclined to preemptively attack people they fear, whom would they fear more than people who go around indiscriminately attacking people? In other words, the more you attack people, the more you open yourself up to preemptive attacks by others. So here we see another reason that it makes no sense, from the point of view of the very self-interest Hobbes insists everyone is motivated by, for people to behave the way he insists they must.

As for law, history affords an abundance of examples of what we might call trickle-up law, in which legal norms develop through the course of normal human interaction and the accumulation of a body of general principles. We are inclined to think of law as by nature a top-down institution, because we confuse law with the modern phenomenon of legislation. Every year the world’s legislative bodies pour forth a staggering number of new rules, regulations, and prohibitions. We have come to accept this as normal, when in fact it is, historically speaking, an anomaly.

It was once common to conceive of law as something discovered rather than made. In other words, the principles that constitute justice and by which people live harmoniously together are derived from a combination of reflection on eternal principles and the practical application of those principles to particular cases. The idea that a legislative body could overturn the laws of contract and declare that, say, a landlord had to limit rents to amounts deemed acceptable by the State, would have seemed incredible.

The English common law, for example, was a bottom-up system. In the Middle Ages, merchant law developed without the State at all. And in the US today, private arbitration services have exploded as people and firms seek out alternatives to a government court system, staffed in many cases by political appointees, that everyone knows to be inefficient, time-consuming, and frequently unjust.

PayPal is an excellent example of how the private, entrepreneurial sector devises creative ways around the State’s incompetence in guaranteeing the inviolability of property and contract. For a long time, PayPal had to deal with anonymous perpetrators of fraud all over the world. The company would track down the wrongdoers and report them to the FBI. And nothing ever happened.

Despairing of any government solution, PayPal came up with an ingenious approach: it devised a system for preemptively determining whether a given transaction was likely to be fraudulent. This way, there would be no bad guys to be tracked down, since their criminal activity would be prevented before it could do any harm.

Small miracles like this take place all the time in the free sector of society, not that we’re encouraged to learn much about them. Recall that as the Centers for Disease Control issued false statements and inadequate protocols for dealing with Ebola, it was a Firestone company town in Liberia that did more than any public authority in Africa to provide safety and health for the local population.

There is a great deal more to be said about law and defense provision in a free society, and I discuss some of this literature at the end of Against the State. But the reason we focus on these issues in the first place is that we realize the State cannot be reformed. The State is a monopolist of aggressive violence and a massive wealth-transfer mechanism, and it is doing precisely what is in its nature to do. The utopian dream of “limited government” cannot be realized, since government has no interest in remaining limited. A smaller version of what we have now, while preferable, cannot be a stable, long-term solution. So we need to conceive of how we could live without the State or its parasitism at all.

The point of this book is to speak frankly — at times perhaps even shockingly so — in order to jolt readers out of the intellectual torpor in which the ruling class and its system of youth indoctrination have lulled them. We might have a fighting chance if most people were aware of the ideas in this book, and in our intellectual tradition generally. They would never fall for the State’s propaganda line, its apologias, its moral double standards. They would be insulted by these distortions and dissimulations.

And that’s what we do at the Mises Institute. We don’t publish “policy reports” in the vain hope that Congress will defy its own nature and pursue freedom. Every one of those policy reports winds up in the trash can. They are used to dupe the gullible into thinking the Washington think-tanks they support have influence in Washington.

Instead, we set forth the truth about the State without compromise or apology. The reason Ron Paul attracted so many young people was that they could see he was speaking to them in plain English, not politicalese. He was speaking frankly and truthfully, without regard for the lectures and hectoring he’d get for it at the hands of the media.

We’ve tried to emulate Ron’s approach – and of course, we’ve been delighted to have Ron as a Distinguished Counselor to the Institute since its inception, and as a member of our board as well. The stakes are too high for us to do anything other than speak frankly and directly about what we know to be true. It’s easy to publish toothless essays about public policy. It is harder to focus on war, the Federal Reserve, and the true nature of the State itself. But that is the path we have willingly chosen.

We hope you’ll join us.

"Can Anarcho-Capitalism Work?" by Llewellyn H. Rockwell Jr. is licensed under CC BY 3.0
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 11-16-2014 at 12:33 PM.

Videos for the Gordon, Napolitano, Ron Paul and Speaker Panel Q&A presentations have been added to the OP.

(Still waiting on the Deist and Rockwell videos ...)

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    (Still waiting on the Deist and Rockwell videos ...)
    Deist and Rockwell videos added to OP.

All videos are now available.