Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DIY is in decline because today's men are too soft

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    See, this is how my husband thinks too. He'll be damned if he's going to pay top dollar for something he can do better himself. I know it makes him feel good too, to accomplish such great things at so little cost.
    When we were briefly house hunting early this year, one of the houses we saw was an exact model as our current house but the man of the house did renovations for a living (actually does the work, not a salesman). If was pretty much "perfect" every little thing we didn't like about our house (except the size) was perfectly changed/tweaked/altered to be better. A lot of stuff that we knew was "wrong" about our house, he had fixed and made better in a way we hadn't even imagined as a possibility. was pretty cool to see, it was like a house doppleganger.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think people are losing their DIY mentality partially due to the shift toward college/white collar occupations (along with the obvious factors like making cars and electronics almost impossible to work on.)

It's fun to make and fix things yourself, even when your first attempts are crap. One of my first DIY's was fixing a microwave--my grandmother thought I was a freaking genius. (All I did was replace a fuse.)

I grew up on a farm and drove tractors around in my youth and then went to one of the best mechanical engineering schools in the country, and I've never had any aptitude in fixing or building things. Some people don't know for lack of opportunity, but some people just aren't wired that way. Good for you if you're the type to do it yourself, but in this thread I sense more than an ounce of hostility for those who aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by malkusm View Post
    I grew up on a farm and drove tractors around in my youth and then went to one of the best mechanical engineering schools in the country, and I've never had any aptitude in fixing or building things. Some people don't know for lack of opportunity, but some people just aren't wired that way. Good for you if you're the type to do it yourself, but in this thread I sense more than an ounce of hostility for those who aren't.
    You're a booksmart bonehead!

Just messing with you--there is some hostility, because the people who can do those things end up doing it for those who can't--and are often still treated like they're nitwits who couldn't go white collar/college. This stuff goes both ways.

When I was a process scientist, some of the mechanics who worked for me were originally pretty hostile until they got to know me, most of the "high-falutin" college grads didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground and treated them like lesser human beings.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I read the linked article and here is my take on it. Maybe DIY projects in the UK are going down, but guess what this isn't the UK. This is the United States of America. I work at a home improvement store and I'm blown away by some of the projects that people undertake and it takes a lot to impress me. As far as business slowing down absolutely not. The store I work at is insanely busy and shows no signs of slowing down.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    (All I did was replace a fuse.)
    who told you my secret!! darn it, now I am going to have to kill you.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

I thought DIY was all the rage recently. I hadn't even seen the letters "DIY" until about year ago and had to Google it I think. There are sites like these:

www.instructables.com

http://makezine.com/

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Labor for construction work is ridiculously expensive here. It starts at about 35euro an hour excluding VAT. When I'm working I may make a bit more than that, I don't really get paid by the hour currently but rather per article/word. In the end, doing it myself saves me the cost of going to the gym and the hassle of finding someone to do it for me. Then I have to be around to make sure they're not stealing anything... So yeah I've thought this through, lots easier and cheaper if I just do it myself. Your nitpicking is more than welcome, in the Netherlands we call that 'Ant-F*cking'. I wouldn't do these things if I had something else, more important, to do. For instance I'm not going to do the pavements, those guys are cheap and don't care about their back, I'm happy to pay them 20euro an hour although some do it for even less. Since this is an old house and (re)building things is sort of my hobby I also like to do these things because 'professionals' these days are more used to newly built houses, concrete prisons with a brick facade. Everything straight and standardized. They have a bad time dealing with a 200y+ house where nothing is straight.
    Hey, awesome! Very glad to see you've thought it through so well. I applaud you, comrade. ~hugs~
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 10-27-2014 at 07:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    My husband is the Jack of all trades - Master of everything. I'm dead serious. He can pretty much do anything, and does. Just this last Saturday he installed a new well pump (300 ft). A while back he turned our 2 car garage into another master bedroom with a bath, made me a laundry room and added another 2 car garage. He fixes all the electrical, and plumbing issues, he's a certified welder, and master mechanic specializing in heavy machinery. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. He's the smartest man I know, funny, selfless, clean, ruggedly handsome, and yeah, I worship the ground he walks on. He's the best friend I've ever had, and I make it my mission to keep him happy, because I know what I have.
    I am very impressed. I have become latently fascinated by, and appreciative of, resourcefullness as a way of living and ethic, and an apparent source of great gratification in understanding the underinnings of how things work on a technical level. If a were starting over I believe I would head straight for a state college degree in industrial studies, since I like to start from a theoretical foundation with things.

some people just aren't wired that way. Good for you if you're the type to do it yourself, but in this thread I sense more than an ounce of hostility for those who aren't.
    Why would I have hostility for those who provide me with an opportunity to make a living? Do you have hostility for your clients and customers? I'm very grateful for those people who don't know how to do something or don't want to get their hands dirty, and treat them very well when they hire me to do something for them.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

^ Of course not. Moreso refering to the overarching theme in several posts that DIY work equates to masculinity (whatever that means) or that people who don't do it are just lazy. I could spend a ton of time forcing myself to learn some of these skills, but why? My time is better spent doing things that I have a much greater natural aptitude for.

Just messing with you--there is some hostility, because the people who can do those things end up doing it for those who can't--and are often still treated like they're nitwits who couldn't go white collar/college. This stuff goes both ways.

When I was a process scientist, some of the mechanics who worked for me were originally pretty hostile until they got to know me, most of the "high-falutin" college grads didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground and treated them like lesser human beings.
    this is all very true.
    people who should not be polarized are.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ^ Of course not. Moreso refering to the overarching theme in several posts that DIY work equates to masculinity (whatever that means) or that people who don't do it are just lazy. I could spend a ton of time forcing myself to learn some of these skills, but why? My time is better spent doing things that I have a much greater natural aptitude for.
    I just think it's important to have a genuine level of respect for a person at first, then lose or gain more based on the quality of work that they do. If your work provides value to my life, then my level of respect goes up even more. Same goes for any carpenter, waitress, doctor, nurse, plumber, etc.

Back in PA, I had amazing plumbers, they did fantastic work, they were enthusiastic and they explained everything to me. They were fairly priced--I really can't think of another company that I'd recommend more than them.

One good thing about today is that even if you don't know what to do, but are willing, there's youtube videos and other websites to teach you how.

I even forgot how to wipe my ass after Amy introduced me to cheap toilet bidets. Evey toilet in my house now has one.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Plumbing, electrical, carpentry, automotive. I do all these and more. Can even cook dinner, wash clothes, clean house. And not that it is needed anymore but I can iron a starch crease like nobody's business!
    Awesome!

My husband is pretty good at mechanical/household DIY, but his procrastination drives me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I have met more than one college educated young man, who could not change a flat $#@!ing tire.
    lol. i work with one of those guys like that. hes 26 and does not have a clue how to even use a jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I even forgot how to wipe my ass after Amy introduced me to cheap toilet bidets. Evey toilet in my house now has one.
    I don't care what Specs thinks of them--they're awesome. Easy to install. Hard to clean without an old toothbrush, admittedly, but I'll go with the cheap ones over the Euro/Asian ones anyday. You can throw them out without much financial impact.

well i have taught myself over the years how to fix and build almost anything. i have only had my truck in the mechanic shop 1 time in my life. i have built up 2 houses and have a tool for almost anything. i do this because I just cant feel right any other way. i learn by trial and error sometimes, but at least i can do it after.

my wife has an uncle thats 50. he has been paying me a little to work on his house. i am getting tired of it not because of money issues with him, but just the lack of desire or will to try anything for himself. the more he wants me to do, the more i up the price hoping to get him to either do it himself or get someone else. i am not lying when i say the following 2 things....

1. two weeks ago i charged him $100 to hang 5 pictures!!! this is after a year of doing other things for him either free, or very cheap (gas money) so now i just charge him more each time. i tried to get him to hammer the nail in the wall and show him how easy it was. he WOULD NOT even try. its like he was afraid of the hammer. he actually took a few steps back as i tried to give him the hammer.

2. a few months ago he called me and literally, told me he was burning a fire outside and got to close to his house and it melted the siding off. he called me and asked what he should do! i asked if there was smoke coming from the house or fire. he said no. i was just thinking WTF??? point is he called me first instead of 911 if he was that worried. lol

but yes, i have noticed to that the diy crowd is shrinking fast. my wifes brother also doesnt even know how to use a screw driver. he asked me to come change an outlet cover for him because the one they had got chipped. i told him to $#@!ing do it himself. lol

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I have met more than one college educated young man, who could not change a flat $#@!ing tire.
    shows those pussies this!! lol

yeah! and most times wind up doing it for free! my last free job was re-doing a relatives hardwood floors. they were put down in 1932 so it was a lot of work. i agreed to do it over my week vacation from work for only $200 plus materials just to help this person out.

well, long story short, the floors looked perfect after 3 days of all day and night work. one of the best jobs i ever did. that was 2 yrs ago, and ive never been paid. this person is so helpless and useless she wouldnt even let me put the trim around the baseboards back down before she moved in her furniture. this makes the floor look incomplete, but i suppose i dont care. this is the last "help you out" job ive did for anyone. now with the exception of one other guy, i do not do work for people anymore. lol

Quote Originally Posted by satchelmcqueen View Post
    well i have taught myself over the years how to fix and build almost anything. i have only had my truck in the mechanic shop 1 time in my life. i have built up 2 houses and have a tool for almost anything. i do this because I just cant feel right any other way. i learn by trial and error sometimes, but at least i can do it after.

my wife has an uncle thats 50. he has been paying me a little to work on his house. i am getting tired of it not because of money issues with him, but just the lack of desire or will to try anything for himself. the more he wants me to do, the more i up the price hoping to get him to either do it himself or get someone else. i am not lying when i say the following 2 things....

1. two weeks ago i charged him $100 to hang 5 pictures!!! this is after a year of doing other things for him either free, or very cheap (gas money) so now i just charge him more each time. i tried to get him to hammer the nail in the wall and show him how easy it was. he WOULD NOT even try. its like he was afraid of the hammer. he actually took a few steps back as i tried to give him the hammer.

2. a few months ago he called me and literally, told me he was burning a fire outside and got to close to his house and it melted the siding off. he called me and asked what he should do! i asked if there was smoke coming from the house or fire. he said no. i was just thinking WTF??? point is he called me first instead of 911 if he was that worried. lol

but yes, i have noticed to that the diy crowd is shrinking fast. my wifes brother also doesnt even know how to use a screw driver. he asked me to come change an outlet cover for him because the one they had got chipped. i told him to $#@!ing do it himself. lol

Omg...even I can hang pictures and use a screwdriver.

yeah! and most times wind up doing it for free! my last free job was re-doing a relatives hardwood floors. they were put down in 1932 so it was a lot of work. i agreed to do it over my week vacation from work for only $200 plus materials just to help this person out.

well, long story short, the floors looked perfect after 3 days of all day and night work. one of the best jobs i ever did. that was 2 yrs ago, and ive never been paid. this person is so helpless and useless she wouldnt even let me put the trim around the baseboards back down before she moved in her furniture. this makes the floor look incomplete, but i suppose i dont care. this is the last "help you out" job ive did for anyone. now with the exception of one other guy, i do not do work for people anymore. lol
    Lol. I live in the country so most of those I know are DIY and only ask for help on big projects. Even then those that aren't DIY act as ground crew or kitchen crew or at least flippin' bring me a cold beer when I'm up on a hot tin roof.
    One guy I knew many years back asked for help on some plumbing so I did. He's a computer guy. He bought some beer and had some pizza so I didn't charge anything. About a month later I had some 'puter problems. Told him what was going on and asked if he could fix it. He actually had the audacity to quote a price. I said "You're actually gonna charge me to fix it?" He replied, "It's what I do for a living. You'll be surprised how many people ask you for free stuff when they know you do computer work." Um, dude, I'm a handyman, It's what I do for a living. I actually think that's the last time we talked.

These are exactly the type of people you want to know. They are called good customers.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Lol. I live in the country so most of those I know are DIY and only ask for help on big projects. Even then those that aren't DIY act as ground crew or kitchen crew or at least flippin' bring me a cold beer when I'm up on a hot tin roof.
    One guy I knew many years back asked for help on some plumbing so I did. He's a computer guy. He bought some beer and had some pizza so I didn't charge anything. About a month later I had some 'puter problems. Told him what was going on and asked if he could fix it. He actually had the audacity to quote a price. I said "You're actually gonna charge me to fix it?" He replied, "It's what I do for a living. You'll be surprised how many people ask you for free stuff when they know you do computer work." Um, dude, I'm a handyman, It's what I do for a living. I actually think that's the last time we talked.
    The correct response to that is that you'd give him just as much pizza and beer as he gave you for fixing his plumbing.

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    The correct response to that is that you'd give him just as much pizza and beer as he gave you for fixing his plumbing.
    If we start using pizza as currency, then I'm going to be the central bank .

If it weren't for the soft-hand crowd I'd starve...

Many thanks to those who can't or won't do for themselves!

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It takes all sorts to make the world go 'round. I sure hope you didn't take my post about my husband as a claim from me that men who don't DIY are wimps - NOT AT ALL! I didn't mean to imply that men who aren't DYI aren't real men. Sorry about that. I was just responding to the OP article. And just because some women are more attracted to the rugged type of man, doesn't mean other women aren't more attracted to the academic types. You're right, some people just aren't wired that way. And, like 'invisible' states, it creates markets for those who are wired that way.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

I don't particularly care to do many things myself mostly because I'm rarely happy with the results; I find it easier to accept imperfect results in other people's work than in my own. I remember making a bird feeder when I was a kid, but I didn't like the level of craftsmanship so I scrapped it. Poor birds never did get to eat out of it. A few years ago I started building a little frostbiting sailboat called the Cape Cod Frosty that is often built by people in a weekend....sometimes a group of people get together and gang-build a half dozen of them in a weekend, just slapping them together. I got the hull mostly built and then scrapped the whole thing because I was dissatisfied with my work (which was probably at least as good as most other boats of this type).

"Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast