Thread: Crazy Story about RPF Member

Crazy Story about RPF Member

I don't know if any of you saw this story on Glenn Greenwald's site, The Intercept. It's a pretty crazy story involving a member of RPF (I'm sure people know his screen-name, but I won't say it just in case). It makes you really appreciate what freedoms we have left here in the US. It's also a reminder of the very real sacrifices people make to stand up for freedom. Makes some of the stuff we do seem like pittance.

HOW THE UAE TRIED TO SILENCE A POPULAR ARAB SPRING ACTIVIST

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

http://www.el-baghdadi.com/index.php...lamic-paradigm

A Shout out to RonPaulForums.com

Even though I’ve been using the term “The Islamic Paradigm” for years, it only exploded into a hundred articles quite recently. I have to introduce my muse, the brain-prod that would inspire me to write: Liberty Forest (www.RonPaulForums.com, or RPF for short).

I’ve been a fan of Ron Paul since the lead up to the Iraq War. After his courageous run for President in 2008, some of his supporters set up LibertyForest to discuss and promote his political positions. It soon grew to be among the most active libertarian-leaning forums on the ‘net.

I joined about a year ago, and started taking part in the discussions – often heated, always intellectual, never dull. But with each post, it became clear to me that there is a huge gap of understanding between the Islamic worldview and even the smartest, most open minded Westerners.

A hundred articles in two weeks

Thankfully, the wonderful folks at RPF met my occasional clarifications with a welcoming curiosity. What’s most important, they realized the importance of these clarifications; Ron Paul has emphasized time and again that a culture of hate is a prerequisite of perpetual war, itself a prerequisite of statism and authoritarianism.

I owe the recent explosion of “The Islamic Paradigm” to a little post by Matt Collins, in which he asked “Why are Social Conservatives so afraid of Muslims?” Matt was commenting on the fresh wave of Islamophobia that’s washing over America, and even finding its way into RPF.

I set out to write, and before I knew it I was into the twentieth page. Shortly afterwards, I took a two-week break coinciding with the last third of Ramadan and the Eid holidays; during this break, the “article” grew past its hundredth page, having exploded into over a hundred articles.

Structure & motivation of this project

In a way I always knew I had to write this some day. A devout “Islamist” Muslim who identifies as a libertarian cannot go too long without being asked to explain himself. How can I reconcile my “anti-liberal” religion and worldview with the ideals of liberty?

For the moment, it’s structured as 100-something articles, each starting with a “jumping off point”, typically an Islamophobic quote or argument. The articles are ultra-summarized; I guess it’s more apt to call them “abstracts”.

My intention is to allow these to grow through active discussion and debate. Everything you see here is simultaneously posted on my site, on RPF, and on a mirror Facebook page. In a way I’m dropping a super-dehydrated pill into a sea of smart people, who’ll allow it to expand to its final form.
    I don't think he's posted here in ages. Is he the Muslim who left because there were too many haters here at the time?
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post

TWEET]525967236025303040[/TWEET]

I don't think he's posted here in ages. Is he the Muslim who left because there were too many haters here at the time?
    I saw he made some posts here back in july, for the first time in years. Said he had been taken offline (of his blog and twitter) and was worried for his family's safety.

Thanks. Man, I hope things turn out ok for him.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?25191-ibaghdadi
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Oh man, poor Iyad. Hope Norway can help him out. He always brought a very unique perspective to things going on in the Middle East to the forums. I can't believe the UAE did that to him.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Wow, that dude on the left seriously needs a haircut....

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Looks like he got one before he "accidentally fell from a balcony under unclear circumstances."

Egyptian blogger Bassem Sabry dies
    Respected blogger and civil rights campaigner dies at the age of 31 in circumstances that remain unclear.
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middle...918774191.html
    --Albert J. Nock

Intense.

Go with with God, my brother.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Thanks Lucille--I didn't see this before I posted my link. Iyad is a good fellow, who did get sick of the Muslim haters here.

Hey Amy, if I had a vote over which thread title to use for a merge, it would be yours! (Sorry, The State!)
    --Albert J. Nock

I found his reasons for originally leaving this site questionable, but obviously I wish him the best in his plight.

Hey Amy, if I had a vote over which thread title to use for a merge, it would be yours! (Sorry, The State!)
    no problem! Just glad it's getting attention! I always found Iyad very thoughtful and insightful, and was always jealous of his tremendous work ethic.

Any way of reaching out to him? maybe once he's in Norway...

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Wow, that dude on the left seriously needs a haircut....

He's got a Sideshow Bob thing going on there.

Last edited by erowe1; 11-10-2014 at 07:40 AM. Reason: dupe