Thread: More cities are making it harder to feed homeless people

More cities are making it harder to feed homeless people

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...o-the-homeless
    "Street feeding is one of the worst things to do, because it keeps people in homeless status," he says. "I think it's very unproductive, very enabling, and it keeps people out of recovery programs."

Instead, he thinks food sharing programs should only be located near what he calls the "core areas of recovery": mental health, substance abuse and job readiness services. Otherwise, he says, homeless people may spend more time pursuing food than the services that will help them get back on their feet.

So basically, according to Mr. Bureaucrat, people should stop wasting their own voluntary money to a bandage solution, we should wait for people to waste MORE government money on "real" recovery programs. Somehow being handed food will keep you so comfy that you'll forget to look for the "real" help you need.
    pcosmar's lie : There are more votes than registered Voters..

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Last edited by phill4paul; 10-24-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...o-the-homeless
    "Street feeding is one of the worst things to do, because it keeps people in homeless status," he says. "I think it's very unproductive, very enabling, and it keeps people out of recovery programs."

Instead, he thinks food sharing programs should only be located near what he calls the "core areas of recovery": mental health, substance abuse and job readiness services. Otherwise, he says, homeless people may spend more time pursuing food than the services that will help them get back on their feet.

So basically, according to Mr. Bureaucrat, people should stop wasting their own voluntary money to a bandage solution, we should wait for people to waste MORE government money on "real" recovery programs. Somehow being handed food will keep you so comfy that you'll forget to look for the "real" help you need.
    In my experience, this is always driven by neighbors who don't want the feeding operation drawing the homeless to their neighborhoods. Often a church group will set up a feeding operation in a park (often nowhere near the church) and the park becomes a homeless hangout. The complaint from the neighbors is that the homeless litter up the place, discourage use of the park by families, engage in drinking and drugs, and use the neighborhood as a toilet. So, I am willing to bet this is not Mr. Bureaucrat's idea. He doesn't really give a $#@! one way or another. But the neighbors get riled up and start making phone calls to the City Council. The Council members start bugging the City administrator, and pretty soon a new policy goes into effect just to stop the phones from ringing.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    In my experience, this is always driven by neighbors who don't want the feeding operation drawing the homeless to their neighborhoods. Often a church group will set up a feeding operation in a park (often nowhere near the church) and the park becomes a homeless hangout. The complaint from the neighbors is that the homeless litter up the place, discourage use of the park by families, engage in drinking and drugs, and use the neighborhood as a toilet. So, I am willing to bet this is not Mr. Bureaucrat's idea. He doesn't really give a $#@! one way or another. But the neighbors get riled up and start making phone calls to the City Council. The Council members start bugging the City administrator, and pretty soon a new policy goes into effect just to stop the phones from ringing.
    I view it as a good thing , the people of means should leave the city , not complain of other city dwellers , LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    In my experience, this is always driven by neighbors who don't want the feeding operation drawing the homeless to their neighborhoods.
    That's not much different than people who don't want illegal aliens near where they live, is it? What now? Do we cheer that governments are acting on behalf of some people, rather than for no reason at all?

Often a church group will set up a feeding operation in a park (often nowhere near the church) and the park becomes a homeless hangout. The complaint from the neighbors is that the homeless litter up the place, discourage use of the park by families, engage in drinking and drugs, and use the neighborhood as a toilet.
    Let's go ask these guys if they turned down any recovery services and opportunities thanks to free food.

So, I am willing to bet this is not Mr. Bureaucrat's idea. He doesn't really give a $#@! one way or another. But the neighbors get riled up and start making phone calls to the City Council. The Council members start bugging the City administrator, and pretty soon a new policy goes into effect just to stop the phones from ringing.
    Wouldn't it be nice if city councils were so easy to manipulate on other issues?

That's not much different than people who don't want illegal aliens near where they live, is it? What now? Do we cheer that governments are acting on behalf of some people, rather than for no reason at all?

Let's go ask these guys if they turned down any recovery services and opportunities thanks to free food.

Wouldn't it be nice if city councils were so easy to manipulate on other issues?

The content of Acala's post is in the content of the National Coalition for the Homeless report. That's in the article that you posted.

Your sentences really don't even make any sense. You might want to work on your syntax.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 10-25-2014 at 04:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

More cities don't want homeless people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    More cities don't want homeless people.
    Understandable, it's human nature not to like being around poor and dirty people.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If not already there should be a law against homelessness.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    If not already there should be a law against homelessness.
    And being poor.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Overall, it is fairly Godless and despicable for people to make it harder for those willing to serve a meal for others .

Understandable, it's human nature not to like being around poor and dirty people.
    Interesting, cause I usually find that don't like being around rich people.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Interesting, cause I usually find that don't like being around rich people.
    are they dirty?