Thread: Here's why the already bloated Farm Bill is getting more expensive

Here's why the already bloated Farm Bill is getting more expensive

Here's why the already bloated Farm Bill is getting more expensive
    By Jason Pye

When the House of Representatives passed the farm bill earlier this year, Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) hailed it as a accomplishment because, he said, it "maintains critical assistance for families in need and improves programs for producers while cutting the cost of government."

Uh, no, Mr. Speaker, the farm bill didn't cut the cost of government...Only in Washington can a 49 percent spending increase mean Congress is spending less.

Secondly, the $956 billion price tag for the farm bill is only going to grow. Congress wasn't living in reality when it created the shallow-loss crop insurance program, an uncapped entitlement that replaced direct subsidies. And, as a result of larger than expected crop yields that have driven down market prices, taxpayers are going to be hit with the costs.
    And keep in mind that these subsidies are going to mostly wealthy farmers and the largest farms. Oh, and while direct payments had to be renewed every five years under previous iterations of the farm bill, the version passed by Congress earlier this year makes this brand of corporate welfare permanent.
    More:
    http://www.freedomworks.org/content/...more-expensive
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "shallow-loss"

= if farmer john makes < 90% of his 5 year average profit, uncle sam subsidizes the difference

"Loss" for basic crop insurance can be as simple as corn blown down by wind the day before harvest.... can't harvest by machine? Let it rot, uncle sam will cover you. My neighbor just cashed in on 80 acres with sporatic "blow down". 100% "loss"

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I would take nothing from them , the entire USDA should be abolished.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    "shallow-loss"

= if farmer john makes < 90% of his 5 year average profit, uncle sam subsidizes the difference

"Loss" for basic crop insurance can be as simple as corn blown down by wind the day before harvest.... can't harvest by machine? Let it rot, uncle sam will cover you. My neighbor just cashed in on 80 acres with sporatic "blow down". 100% "loss"
    Insurance. Government subsidies. Uncapped entitlements. And you are inferring that fraud could be a factor? I just can't believe it! I'm shocked!

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.