Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CITIZENFOUR - New Snowden Documentary

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    Hey, it won the Oscar! That should get more people to see it.
    Perfect timing too, it started showing on HBO tonight.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

And the Oscar for Best Documentary goes to... Citizenfour, the film about Edward Snowden's efforts to expose the National Security Administration for illegally spying on American citizens. It was directed by Laura Poitras and featured Glenn Greenwald; both journalists played an active role in bringing Snowden's revelations to light. (I've written previously about why Snowden is a hero to young libertarians who flocked to the International Students for Liberty Conference last week to hear him speak.)

This year's host, Neil Patrick Harris, made the following joke about the documentary's largely unsurprising victory: "Edward Snowden couldn't be here for some treason." That was actually one of his funnier quips of the evening, lazy and mildly insulting though it was.
    http://reason.com/blog/2015/02/22/ed...-wins-the-osca

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "The disclosures that Edward Snowden reveals don't only expose a threat to our privacy but to our democracy itself," said Poitras, accepting the Oscar.
    Errk...graak...FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Damn it, comments like that make me lose my religion.

What is so $#@!ing hard to understand about this:

Democracy CAUSED this!

Idiot AmeriKa WANTS this and votes for more and more of it every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    What is so $#@!ing hard to understand about this:

Democracy CAUSED this!

Idiot AmeriKa WANTS this and votes for more and more of it every year.
    Excellent point, thank you.

Just saw it... WOW... I thought I was special. 1.2 M sheesh. I have got to be in that large a pool.
    I have seen through it all... the system is against us. ALL OF IT.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Just saw it... WOW... I thought I was special. 1.2 M sheesh. I have got to be in that large a pool.
    Probably 80% of this forum is in that pool.

‘Citizenfour’ and the power of personal stories

‘Citizenfour’ and the power of personal stories
    By Alyssa Rosenberg - February 24

“Citizenfour,” which aired on HBO Monday night, is a dispatch from deep inside Poitras’s and Greenwald’s deposition of Snowden — Poitras filmed their 2013 meetings with him in Hong Kong — and it doesn’t always bridge the gap between the reporters’ experiences and a more general audience’s.

“To see it, the physical blueprints of it, and the technical expressions of it, brutally hits home in a super-visceral way that is so needed,” Greenwald says of one document. I’m sure that’s true for him, given his deep absorption in the details of American surveillance. But if you’re not steeped in the story the way Greenwald is, the bolts from the blue aren’t as obvious. And while long scenes of anti-surveillance activists contain some powerful insights, they also add to the sheer volume of information in a way that can be more overwhelming than clarifying.

To Poitras’s credit, part of the power of “Citizenfour” comes from the way the movie juxtaposes mundane facilities with the malignancy carried out inside of them. “We are building the greatest weapon for oppression in the history of man,” Poitras reads from Snowden’s communications over shots of a bland construction site. The movie has a droning score that evokes the hum of servers. We see still shots of green fields punctuated by satellite dishes, Menwith Hill station in the United Kingdom with its Epcot-like domes, Dagger Complex in Germany, which comes across as an office park with bad lighting and slightly better security.
    Snowden’s affect is muted, but even his tone can’t conceal all of the strain he obviously feels when he acknowledges that “I don’t think I’ll be able to keep the family ties that I’ve had for my life.” He’s proved right: his girlfriend Lindsay Mills (who now lives with him in Moscow and appeared on the Oscar stage on Sunday) is interrogated. “I just heard from Lindsay, and she’s alive, which is good, and free,” Snowden tells Poitras and Greenwald, revealing the full extent of his fears only in that expression of relief.
    More: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/a...sonal-stories/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I see they are showing it on UK TV tonight, which is cool since there's a lot of scary $#@! about what the Brits are doing too.

I didn't know Hollywood was making a Snowden movie.

Actor Gives Facebook A Firsthand Look At Hollywood’s ‘Snowden’

March 3, 2015—Amid reports concerning Edward Snowden’s recent statements, actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt shared a photo of himself as a young Snowden in U.S. Army uniform.

According to the actor, today marks the first day of shooting on Oliver Stone’s film about the NSA whistleblower.

The statement that accompanied the photo shows Gordon-Levitt was surprised to have learned Snowden wanted to fight in Iraq back in 2004. Unfortunately for the then teen Snowden, fractures to both of his legs led to an administrative discharge.

The actor also praised Snowden for deciding to continue to “serve his country” by getting involved with the CIA where his career began.

The actor closed his post with the following lines:

“Today’s scenes felt like a really good way to start this shoot. It was hard, but of course, nowhere near as hard as real basic training. And me, I’m just honored and excited to be doing a soldier sequence with Oliver. I keep saying to myself: ‘f***, this guy directed Platoon!'”

http://www.voicesofliberty.com/artic...m_medium=email

Finally managed to get "Citizenfour" DVR'd from HBO.

As an old retired techie, I think it's a keeper.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

Something tells me this will be propaganda - just like american sniper.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Probably 80% of this forum is in that pool.
    But can they go after the ~12 million US sociopaths?
    NOOOOOOO! Too many current and potential government employees, contractors and office holders.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 03-04-2015 at 02:41 PM.

watch the Oscar speech if you haven't already

Is this movie good or is it boring like most other documentaries?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    My SWAG, you probably won't like it.

Well, if you have followed the story, there won't be much new.

One realization that comes from the movie is the courage of these people to report on this. Most in the media would not touch this with a 100 foot pole. They are not only afraid for their careers, they are afraid of the government coming after them. Pretty sad state of affairs for the 1st Amendment and freedom of speech.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Well, if you have followed the story, there won't be much new.

One realization that comes from the movie is the courage of these people to report on this. Most in the media would not touch this with a 100 foot pole. They are not only afraid for their careers, they are afraid of the government coming after them. Pretty sad state of affairs for the 1st Amendment and freedom of speech.
    No, not much new, but still pretty interesting even though I knew the story...

It almost seemed too well done... just sayin.
    I have seen through it all... the system is against us. ALL OF IT.

Most of the events/conversations you see in the film have been previously described by Greenwald in the different interviews he has done since then. It is cool to get to see that stuff happen for real.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sadly, I still know people who do not even know who Edward Snowden is, or why he is so important.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Another "real life" story brought to you by the Ministry of Truth...

Ok , I did not follow any of the Snowden story, what killed him, what is a credible source that fairly summarizes the
    whole story ?
    Someone made a comment about Netflix....?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    Ok , I did not follow any of the Snowden story, what killed him, what is a credible source that fairly summarizes the
    whole story ?
    Someone made a comment about Netflix....?
    He's still alive. There's so much out there, I can't think of a definitive source right now. If you have HBO or have a friend that has HBO(It's also downloadable on itunes, I think), I highly recommend CitizenFour. I thought I knew the story but that film changed me, be prepared to be disturbed.

I'm not sure if/when it'll be on Netflix.

He's still alive. There's so much out there, I can't think of a definitive source right now. If you have HBO or have a friend that has HBO(It's also downloadable on itunes, I think), I highly recommend CitizenFour. I thought I knew the story but that film changed me, be prepared to be disturbed.

I'm not sure if/when it'll be on Netflix.
    Great, I'll look for it or wait for it , Thanks.
    Anything that is done by the Gov not inline with the Constitution should be expossed, and legally with no recourse from the gub, however the gov does have and uses unconstitutional remedies.

There's so much out there, I can't think of a definitive source right now.
    This is a pretty good start:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...r-surveillance

I really hope it's not $#@!.

Oliver Stone's Snowden movie films outside White House

SPOTTED: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Shailene Woodley and director Oliver Stone shooting a scene outside the White House Tuesday for an upcoming flick about Edward Snowden.

Some of the movie’s extras were seen carrying anti-Iraq War signs outside the fence surrounding 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, a popular spot for protesters.
    Our spy eyed Gordon-Levitt, who plays the former National Security Agency contractor and government leaker, snacking on a banana between takes as he took direction from Stone. Woodley, who plays Snowden’s girlfriend, was seen laughing with crew members.

A crowd of about two-dozen onlookers had gathered to get a peek of the shoot for the film, which is poised to hit theaters on Christmas Day.

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know...de-white-house

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I really hope it's not $#@!.
    Hopefully Oliver Stone does justice to the story.
    Last edited by Marenco; 04-07-2015 at 05:19 PM.

I was hoping this would've made it to youtube by now, still haven't seen it.

i couldnt find this film anywhere but finally was able to catch a rip of it.

what a powerful film.
    No - No - No - No

You can stream it on Amazon for 14.99.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast