Thread: Internet savvy IS providing excellent documentation of US military hardware failures

Internet savvy IS providing excellent documentation of US military hardware failures

Janes: Islamic State reveals US equipment failures

A video released by the Islamic State on 21 October showed a militant inspecting a pallet of supplies that were dropped using the Joint Precision Airdrop System (JPADS). The JPADS uses GPS guidance and a steerable parachute to increase the accuracy of airdrops so they can be made from higher altitudes or into smaller drop zones.

The supplies included a number of green wooden boxes containing ammunition, including old fragmentation grenades without fuzes, rocket propelled grenades and associated propelling charges, and German-made DM41 hand grenades.
    XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    I don't believe for a moment these were "failures".
    Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Annie View Post
    I don't believe for a moment these were "failures".
    That's because you are awake and well Miss Annie!

http://www.thelocal.de/20141022/germ...-isis-in-syria

More on the failure or success of keeping the "Boogyman War" funding going...
    A screen grab from a jihadist video showing the grenades. Photo: DPA
    'German' hand grenades paraded by Isis in Syria

Published: 22 Oct 2014 10:58 GMT+02:00
    Updated: 22 Oct 2014 10:58 GMT+02:00

The German military was on Wednesday investigating reports that Bundeswehr hand grenades have fallen into the hands of the Islamic State (Isis) terrorist group after a video appearing to show captured weapons surfaced on the Internet.
    Isis fighters in Syria were shown unpacking hand grenades from boxes stamped DM41, which experts say is the classification of an older hand grenade type used by the Bundeswehr, the German Army.

A Bundeswehr spokesman declined to comment on operations to supply Kurdish forces fighting Isis in northern Iraq, where the terrorist group is believed to have intercepted western-supplied weapons.

But other military officials told the news agency dpa that only new type DM51 hand grenades could have been among weapons delivered to the Kurdish defenders of the northern city of Kobane a month ago.

Confusion over the origin of the hand grenades deepened with a Pentagon admission that a US airdrop of arms to the city's defenders could have been snatched by Isis.

The hand grenade video appeared following a US airdrop of 28 crates of weapons and supplies to Kobane earlier this week. One crate went astray when landing. Despite efforts to destroy it from the air, the contents may have survived, officials said.

They were unable to comment whether German items were among the delivery. Since September 5, Germany has supplied 5,100 hand grenades among 600 tons of arms, vehicles and equipment to Kurdish forces in Iraq,

Repercussions of the conflict in Syria and Iraq have affected Germany in various ways in recent months.

Hundreds of volunteers have travelled to the region to fight for Isis, while Isis fighters originating in Germany have threatened the life of Chancellor Angela Merkel. Funds and equipment were also supplied to groups fighting in the region by sympathizers in Germany.

Four men were arrested on Monday for allegedly supplying thousands of winter boots and jackets to terrorist groups.

Related raids were carried out in seven states, including Baden-Württemberg, Hamburg, Hesse, Rhineland-Palatinate, Saxony, Schleswig-Holstein, as well as North Rhine-Westphalia.

SEE ALSO: German motorcycle gang joins Isis fight
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

The old WWII pineapple style grenades I saw in the video, had a hole in the bottom of them like the practice dummy grenades one can buy at the military surplus stores.

including old fragmentation grenades without fuzes
    Missing a bit more than that... WTF

Why do this? There are warehouses of foreign mil equip in Kansas and Germany and other places... This is BS!

Janes is generally A+ as a source.

-t

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    The old WWII pineapple style grenades I saw in the video, had a hole in the bottom of them like the practice dummy grenades one can buy at the military surplus stores.
    I believe you are right about that... you are very observant and astute.

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    I started a thread on that very point - ISIL is FAKE, FAKE, FAKE!!! or something like that.

apparently this is a no no. I got harassed, a bomb disposal visit, bugged and black bagged for owning some - PISSED!

-t
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 10-23-2014 at 05:46 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    Well, I might have been looking at it incorrectly and what I saw may have been just the grenade body without the fuse. It would still have a hole where the fuse should have been screwed in. Still, what they heck are they doing with those antique grenades?

Getting rid of old surplus?

Well, I might have been looking at it incorrectly and what I saw may have been just the grenade body without the fuse. It would still have a hole where the fuse should have been screwed in. Still, what they heck are they doing with those antique grenades?
    we saw the same thing. You were looking at the base. No plug, no threads. The janes article stated they lacked fuses.

and these were dropped into a war zone????

Personally the para looked fake too - like a roll of black plastic sheet.

And where was the pallet? The load didn't have signs of impact without one.

-t

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Getting rid of old surplus?
    Wouldn't all of that have been used up in Korea and Vietnam?

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    we saw the same thing. You were looking at the base. No plug, no threads. The janes article stated they lacked fuses.

and these were dropped into a war zone????

Personally the para looked fake too - like a roll of black plastic sheet.

And where was the pallet? The load didn't have signs of impact without one.

-t
    Seems the system does use black parachutes. And the pallet would have been on the bottom of the load- outside the frame of the picture.
    From the Jane's page:

Sample drop:

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/art...e-airdrop.html

Wouldn't all of that have been used up in Korea and Vietnam?
    No. I was looking at a arms dealers site a bit ago and LIVE pineapple grenades were selling for $5 a pop. Export licence required.
    At the same time, dummy pineapple grenades with no fuze train no explosives and no plug are being sold in surplus stores to us gringo's for $7.50-$10 a pop.

-t

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Seems the system does use black parachutes. And the pallet would have been on the bottom of the load- outside the frame of the picture.
    From the Jane's page:

Sample drop:

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/art...e-airdrop.html
    photo URL's have been forwarded to an aerospace engineer I know that used to work for a company that does that and personally is into skydiving.

I asked him for his opinion on this.

-t

Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 10-23-2014 at 06:25 PM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    photo URL's have been forwarded to an aerospace engineer I know that used to work for a company that does that and personally is into skydiving.

I asked him for his opinion on this.

-t
    OK - I'm wrong on this:

No the photo is definitely real. Would take a while to explain why. Usually you only use those types of parachute canopies for rather higher value equipment or special purpose insertion, but maybe things have changed.

I actually worked on this type of stuff at the very outset of it (circa 1984-86). I had a patent on a parachute high lift device, but the patent is not very useful for anything.

I should clarify. The parachute system is definitely real. I can't speak for the payload but it appears to be something.
    anyone got some ketchup to make this crow go down easier?

-t

OK - I'm wrong on this:

anyone got some ketchup to make this crow go down easier?

-t
    I understand if cooked properly, it tastes just like chicken.

Just don't over cook it- or it gets tough.

I understand if cooked properly, it tastes just like chicken.
    I prefer mine with a healthy dose of Texas Pete, which helps to take out the wild taste, a little...

None of this makes any sense. I heard the theory earlier that the weapons dropped to ISIS might be rigged to explode in the hands of the enemy. But a grenade without a fuse isn't going to explode at all. Of course theirs the "official story" that the weapons were really being dropped to be used by those fighting ISIS and they just went off course by "mistake". But why send junk equipment to your allies? Then if the idea is really to arm ISIS as a "false flag" op, why give ISIS weapons that don't work? Maybe the idea is to build up the perception that ISIS is well armed?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    None of this makes any sense. I heard the theory earlier that the weapons dropped to ISIS might be rigged to explode in the hands of the enemy. But a grenade without a fuse isn't going to explode at all. Of course theirs the "official story" that the weapons were really being dropped to be used by those fighting ISIS and they just went off course by "mistake". But why send junk equipment to your allies? Then if the idea is really to arm ISIS as a "false flag" op, why give ISIS weapons that don't work? Maybe the idea is to build up the perception that ISIS is well armed?
    The explosives inside grenades will still work.. (composition B commonly) and the fuses have other uses.

I would not expect rifles to be dropped fully loaded.. but magazines and ammo to be supplied with,, but separately packaged.

These fighters were well armed before they collected more arms from supplies we left there for the Iraq Army..in fact,, many of these folks ARE the Iraq Army that we had trained.

It is their country.. we need to stay the $#@! out.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom