Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What browser does everyone use?

What browser does everyone use?

I was a Firefox user from the beginning but made the complete switch to Opera (Presto) a few years ago. Even though there was compatibility issues and its notorious problem of rendering pages incorrectly, its highly customizable settings (no add ons necessary) and innovation made up for its shortcomings.

When they killed Presto (please make it open source, Opera) and went to Blink, I went along with them. Opera is my primary browser for both Windows machines and android devices. I use QupZilla on Linux.
    Last edited by pessimist; 10-22-2014 at 09:08 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Firefox on my craptop because it's the only one that works. I think I'm going to need a new laptop soon, some of the number keys quit working.

On my desktop, I use Chrome.

I just use telnet and parse the html in my head.

Safari

I use firefox mainly and google chrome secondarily.

I like vertical tabs on firefox. With wide monitors it makes sense, you get to see more of the page.

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I just use telnet and parse the html in my head.

lol. Here is ronpaulforums in LYNX!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Firefox on my craptop because it's the only one that works. I think I'm going to need a new laptop soon, some of the number keys quit working.

On my desktop, I use Chrome.
    I had a key that wasn't working very well and I unsnapped it and cleaned the area in which the key was seated as well as the key itself, both with a Q-Tip. Then snapped the key back into place. It works fine now. Gunk had simply built up I guess. Maybe try this on one of your problem keys before buying a new machine. Also you can potentially use a wireless keyboard.
    Last edited by anaconda; 10-22-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Typically use Chromium even though I think it's resource heavy. I like how it holds my Bookmarks in the cloud with my Gmail account. It also seems to play well with Video Media like YouTube.

It works well enough even on my Netbook.

http://www.chromium.org/

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Firefox on my laptop. IE at work. Safari on ipad.

just downloaded opera 25. the new start page RULES!

not to be too much of a fanboi but check it out! opera.com

lynx is no good. We are all using w3m now:

Firefox and I hate it. Other browsers are just as bad though. I'm not technically informed enough to explain it, understand it, or fix it but $#@! crashes today for me just as often as the old versions of IE did years ago. It's probably something wrong with my computer or Adobe Flash but flash videos make me have to close windows. Not every time but often enough to be annoying. I update $#@! regularly. Nothing seems to fix it.

everyone?

Have used several,,
    Used Mozilla before Firefox,, and mostly use Firefox now(still).

Tried Chrome,,didn't like it,, Tried Iron,, bleh
    Opera,, bleh ,,
    Occasionally use Konqueror,, but still prefer Firefox.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 10-23-2014 at 09:51 AM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    Firefox and I hate it. Other browsers are just as bad though. I'm not technically informed enough to explain it, understand it, or fix it but $#@! crashes today for me just as often as the old versions of IE did years ago. It's probably something wrong with my computer or Adobe Flash but flash videos make me have to close windows. Not every time but often enough to be annoying. I update $#@! regularly. Nothing seems to fix it.

I recommend Opera but if you insist on sticking with the bloated Firefox- I suggest the following:

1.) the lagging, resource sucking plugin-container.exe in Firefox is the reason I switched to Opera years ago (that and the memory leaks). Since they took away the ability to disable it, and deleting it is no longer an option unless you don't have a need for flash, you're stuck with it.

The best way to counter that is to go to Tools>Add-ons>Plugins. You'll now see a list of all your plugins. Find shockwave flash, and set it to "click to activate". This will require you to click on every flash video to load it. It may be a minor annoyance at first, but the benefits will be worth it. It's faster and safer.

btw some of those other plugins that you have no use for, you may want to set to "never activate".

2.) You likely need to clean not only your browser but your entire system. https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER will do just the trick. If you've never used it or any other cleaning tool before, it may take a while. But it will be well worth the wait.

3.) The noscript add-on should be mandatory for Firefox users.

4.) This may not be the wisest of choices for the average user, but I NEVER use autoupdate for anything. In fact, I delete the autoupdate and crashreporter files from the folder itself, but firefox gives you the option to disable them. If it is constantly crashing after you do the above, I recommend disabling them.

Firefox used to be the hottest, sexiest chick on campus- she was maybe shy but was fit, easy on the eyes, and intelligent. As she got more popular, she packed on a few pounds, felt more comfortable in her own skin, and became kinda of a bitch. She has popped out a few kids over the years- all of them to different men, and now lives off child support payments.

Opera was always the creative, highly intelligent loner. He was articulate, good looking, but was never popular enough. Sure, people have heard of his name and seen him in the hallway but he wasn't outspoken or cool enough.

He is the coolest kid on campus but not many folks care to even talk to him to discover that secret. You folks should strike up a conversation sometime- his innovative mind, quick wit, and high intelligence may impress you.

http://www.opera.com

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I use Chrome on Windows machines, with the exception of the netflix-desktop WINE build that technically runs Firefox.
    And Chromium on Linux. Still don't know why it's named differently.

I'm not at all surprised to see Lynx is still maintained, but I am a little surprised not to be the first guy to mention it.

I'm definitely going to check out Opera on your recommendation, P.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    It's probably something wrong with my computer or Adobe Flash but flash videos make me have to close windows. Not every time but often enough to be annoying. I update $#@! regularly. Nothing seems to fix it.
    The problems with Flash are not your browser (regardless of browser)
    The problem is Flash.

Do a search,, Windoze, Mac,, Linux,, phones.. everyone has problems with Flash and yet it is everywhere.

file under,,, there has got to be a better way
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Well, Opera has Adblock Plus.... Looking good so far....
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Dude, Opera has vi commands?
    That's all you had to say.

Edit: Nope, they look like emacs commands. BOOO!

firefox...but y'all are making me want to try Opera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    firefox...but y'all are making me want to try Opera.
    Well, I'm uninstalling it.

I have the Sitelauncher extension on Chrome whereby I can launch specific pages with hotkeys. I went Chrome a while back because FF was too boated, but I never really liked the interface for Sitelauncher. On Firefox you entered the SL menu with ctrl-space, but on Chrome you enter it with ctrl-shift. Seems petty, but my fingers didn't want to do that, and I've always faulted Chrome for making me tweak my left hand that way.

So after a good bit of searching, turns out this Speed Dial page that Opera loads first thing has hotkey shortcuts! A built-in solution to my problem? Great! Not thrilled about having to hit ctrl and a number, but I'll give it a go!

....Wait, what's going on? It's clearly documented in several places that I can hit ctrl and a number and go to that corresponding speed dial page! Y U NO WORK??

There appear to be a lot of references buried deep inside Reddit threads about how much Opera sucks since they removed the hotkey feature, thirteen versions ago. Here's another page bitching about how web developers are just going to have to cut off Opera 12 users (the last hotkey-enabled version) because it's too old and so sad, sucks for them... so apparently there are a lot of holdouts using an old version that works the way they want it to.

I want to like it, but this isn't a good first impression.

I never used that feature.

But yeah, Opera got rid of a lot of their features when they went to webkit/blink. Presto's built-in features were amazing. I was highly pissed when they made the switch- I stuck with the old Opera for nearly a full year before I was forced to make a switch.

The two features that I really miss are the absolutely AMAZING built-in content blocker, and the ability to customize the preferences of an individual webpage simply by right-clicking it.

I have never used keyboard shortcuts.

Anyway, at least you tried it. I guess it's not for everyone. They seem to be improving and adding more and more features with each release though- so who knows, maybe they'll bring the hotkey function back.

For what it's worth...

That is likely due to it being ignored because of its low market share- why target a product no one is using? However, it's still worth noting.

(although it is widely used in Europe)

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I think I'm going to need a new laptop soon, some of the number keys quit working.
    http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&fiel...wcanoniccom-20

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...699&mfe=search

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

So out of morbid curiosity- I downloaded firefox 34.0 (beta), fired up process explorer and monitored its activity. I watched a few youtube flash vids and tested various flash games without a problem, but after few minutes the dreaded plugin-container.exe

command line: C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerPlug in_15_0_0_207.exe" --proxy-stub-channel=Flash3848.65FFC138.2112 --host-broker-channel=Flash3848.65FFC138.9070 --host-pid=3848 --host-npapi-version=27 --plugin-path="C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_1 5_0_0_207.dll

started draining resources per usual (Opera doesn't do this and it uses the same plugin-container which runs flash independently from the browser.)

Anyway, FF crashed on me within ten minutes. After further investigation I found something called plugin-hang-ui.exe which I believe was the source behind the crash. I found it in the root folder and deleted it. 15 minutes in...no crashes, have youtube music playing in the background, and monitoring my CPU usage and memory (god, FF is a memory hog)...it's still raping resources but no crash or lagging video.
    Last edited by pessimist; 10-23-2014 at 07:21 PM.

btw...isn't google chrome spyware? /tinfoil
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Yes google spies on you. So does every other tech/advertising company.

And app developers and websites and government agencies also like to spy on you.

I personally like to 'spy' on the software and apps I use and stop them (if possible) from spying on me

Quote Originally Posted by pessimist View Post
    Yes google spies on you. So does every other tech/advertising company.
    And app developers and websites and government agencies also like to spy on you.
    I personally like to 'spy' on the software and apps I use and stop them (if possible) from spying on me
    Yeah but does every tech/advertising company actually have cia thinktanks inside of them and send their executives out to work as covert operatives?
    http://www.newsweek.com/assange-goog...t-seems-279447

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    btw...isn't google chrome spyware? /tinfoil
    Try Iron.
    http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

It's Chrome without the spy.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast