Thread: One-third of working Americans support two-thirds of the population

One-third of working Americans support two-thirds of the population

This is sure to end well.

http://www.mybudget360.com/not-in-th...ng-population/

There still seems to be little acknowledgement of the massive army of people now falling into the category labeled as not in the labor force. Some of this growth is predictable like many older Americans hitting retirement age. But this only explains a small portion of the change since many older Americans are needing to work much longer since they have paltry retirement savings. The unemployment rate dropping dramatically has largely been driven by this category expanding and labor force participation is at generational lows. You also have spending growing in the form of military, Medicare, and Social Security that are now eating up a larger portion of the budget. Deficit spending continues to occur in the face of a booming economy. Why? The math shows that one-third of private sector workers are supporting two-thirds of the population. We have over 92 million Americans that are now part of the not in the labor force category.
    [...]
    One-third working for two-thirds

One of the most startling facts is that one-third of the nation’s workers are supporting two thirds of the population:

Government workers are paid via funds that come from taxes. 92 million are simply not in the labor force. Another 69 million are not working, mostly children. And 19 million are unemployed. Is it any surprise why we are running big deficits? These are mega trends that won’t reverse anytime soon. It also helps to explain why millions of Americans are completely unprepared for a long retirement. I’m not sure if the mainstream press will cover this issue more carefully but it is very important and helps to explain why our rosy unemployment figure isn’t as great as it appears.
    h/t http://www.jsmineset.com/
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What percentage of "private labor" makes their money serving government and her minions?

Remember such fine entities as Correction Corp. of America are considered "private", so are DOD contractors and on and on...

My seat of the pants bet is less than 25% make honest money and even that figure would change drastically without free money...

They (the actual 25%?) must work harder and pay more taxes...

Thank goodness the fed "has" plenty of money (ink and paper).

"Ain't it all grand?"

They seem to be including retired private sector people living off of their investments and pensions as being "supported" by working people. That isn't accurate.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    What percentage of "private labor" makes their money serving government and her minions?

Remember such fine entities as Correction Corp. of America are considered "private", so are DOD contractors and on and on...

My seat of the pants bet is less than 25% make honest money and even that figure would change drastically without free money...
    I was wondering the same thing. And direct contractors like DOD contractors are not the only ones. My first job was working for a company that built and tested computer chips. 95% of our sales were military. Just keep on eye on our debt. That's where it all comes out in the wash. We racked up another 1.1 trillion in FY 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    ...keep on eye on our debt. That's where it all comes out in the wash. We racked up another 1.1 trillion in FY 2014.
    There is no wash (or rack to put it on).

Actually, that's where money just comes into existence, right out of thin air.

It moves much quicker than the eye can see

There is no actual "debt", loan or interest that needs to (or possibly could be) paid back, ever.

That just might be a variation of the 80/20 Rule.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.