Thread: Do you think the taper is going to end next week?

Do you think the taper is going to end next week?

I think the Fed is supposed to announce its plan for the taper next week (Oct 28-29). What do you guys think is going to happen? Supposedly they are going to end QE but that became less likely due to the economic weakness over the last few weeks.

My guess is they're going to end QE as scheduled but extend the 0% rate past the middle of next year. Things haven't gotten bad enough "yet" for them to resume QE. But I expect sometime next year they'll fire up a new, massive round of QE. The current stimulus is at least 3 times as big as the stimulus that caused the crash in 2008 so it follows that this crash is going to be much worse.
    Last edited by Madison320; 10-23-2014 at 01:09 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

The current stimulus is at least 3 times as big as the stimulus that caused the crash in 2008 so it follows that this crash is going to be much worse.
    How much quantitative easing was there before 2008 (QE1 started in November, 2008- AFTER the crash occurred)?

I would agree with you in thinking that things are not bad enough to have more QE at this time and the taper will end this month as scheduled.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    How much quantitative easing was there before 2008 (QE1 started in November, 2008- AFTER the crash occurred)?
    Hardly any.