Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cato Institute launches policy center against the Federal Reserve

Cato Institute launches policy center against the Federal Reserve

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wakey, wakey Cato!

It's about time someone did this. I'm sick of everyone saying "Abolish the Fed!" without a process.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    It's about time someone did this. I'm sick of everyone saying "Abolish the Fed!" without a process.

Ehem....ever heard of the Mises Institute?

CATO is still a wolf in sheep's clothing outfit trying to co-opt the Paul movement. The fact that it took them 30 years or so to copy the Mises Institute really says it all.

Thermonuclear?

Quote Originally Posted by sgt150 View Post
    CATO is still a wolf in sheep's clothing outfit trying to co-opt the Paul movement. The fact that it took them 30 years or so to copy the Mises Institute really says it all.
    LOLz, the Cato Institute has been around much longer than the Ron Paul movement.... your information is erroneous

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarzan View Post
    The difference that people should understand is that Cato seeks to change / make recommendations on governmental policy. Mises is more of an educational center seeking to enlighten indviduals. They both serve different missions.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cato has now sadly morphed into the D.C. belt-way Libertarian Kochtopus sell out.

All stupid anti-Cato comments aside, George Selgin gave up his professorship to run this and I expect him to do a great job.

Best of luck to all involved. Audit then End the Fed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Amash (R) MI-3rd
    "Young people want a Republican Party that believes in limited government and economic freedom and individual liberty, but they want a party that also acts on it.”

THE FUTURE OF THE GOP = R[∃vo˩]ution 2.0: Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by NOVALibertarian View Post
    First they ignore you= Ron Paul, 2007-2008
    Then they laugh at you= Ron Paul, 2012
    Then they fight you= Rand Paul, 2014-2015
    And then you win= Rand Paul, November 8th, 2016

Haven't you heard? Ludwig von Mises was a racist: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...Mises-a-racist
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Cato's president John Allison (former BB&T bank CEO) has always called for the abolition of the Fed as far as I can tell. I'm glad they explicitly aim to stay scholarly (sorry people, JFK did NOT try to take on the Fed nor was he killed for this supposed act), as I expected, but I hope they don't fall into the pit of "Fed policy X has failed, if only they implemented Fed policy Y, things would be hunky dorrie"

I like Mises and Cato. They are both good for liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    All stupid anti-Cato comments aside, George Selgin gave up his professorship to run this and I expect him to do a great job.
    Selgin is good. He's principled and can put the deep and complex in understandable language, which is unusual for economists.
    Last edited by robert68; 10-21-2014 at 04:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    LOLz, the Cato Institute has been around much longer than the Ron Paul movement.... your information is erroneous
    I understand that you'll never do anything but kiss the ass of anyone who might be able to give you a paycheck at some point, but the fact of the matter is that CATO has a long history of hostility toward Ron Paul, his associates, his campaigns for presidency, and his movement.

During the Iraq war days, they had high-level staffers who were making the case for preemptive, aggressive war. So no, I don't give them any credit for coming out for End the Fed years after Ron Paul made it acceptable, as the Mises Institute has been doing for 30 years. CATO is a disgrace to the libertarian movement. Piss on them. They have accomplished nothing over the years other than to make libertarians look like unprincipled, inconsistent corporate shills. I guess some liberty-minded folks just have low standards and short attention spans to support these bozos.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why should the CATO Institute be condemned for a handful of its scholars supporting the war but not the Mises Institute for any of its scholars supporting equally bad things?

CATO has a long history of hostility toward Ron Paul, his associates, his campaigns for presidency, and his movement.
    The Cato institute is not monolithic or homogeneous.

They have accomplished nothing over the years
    Think tanks never do

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlerzzz View Post
    Why should the CATO Institute be condemned for a handful of its scholars supporting the war but not the Mises Institute for any of its scholars supporting equally bad things?
    Like what?

The Cato institute is not monolithic or homogeneous.
    Bull$#@!. The people on the staff at CATO take orders. They've tried to pull the 'we give credence to anti-libertarian viewpoints for the purposes of a robust debate' canard before. It was trite and pathetic when they tried it, and it's still trite and pathetic when you try it.

Like what?
    Just a Genocidal Maniac named Gary North that could make Stalin blush.

Bull$#@!. The people on the staff at CATO take orders. They've tried to pull the 'we give credence to anti-libertarian viewpoints for the purposes of a robust debate' canard before. It was trite and pathetic when they tried it, and it's still trite and pathetic when you try it.
    Your ignorance is showing.

There are lots of policy disagreements within Cato, just as there are a lot of ideological disagreements within the Mises Institute. To deny that is to deny reality.

Your ignorance is showing.

There are lots of policy disagreements within Cato, just as there are a lot of ideological disagreements within the Mises Institute. To deny that is to deny reality.
    I guess you're just willing to accept any old bull$#@! masquerading around as 'libertarian' as long as there might be some payola in it for you. After all if you had it your way, we would have all licked Jesse Benton's boots as that bumbling stumbling idiot made a fool of himself and embarrassed the movement. So it's abundantly clear what your motivations are as you make your little chicken $#@! comments.

Just a Genocidal Maniac named Gary North that could make Stalin blush.
    What do Gary North's personal religious beliefs have to do with the Mises Institute?

Their Vice President for Legal Affairs and director of Cato's Center for Constitutional Studies should not be defending NSA surveillance: "NSA surveillance in perspective".
    Last edited by robert68; 10-21-2014 at 11:26 AM.

What do Gary North's personal religious beliefs have to do with the Mises Institute?
    Maybe that North has come out and said that he isn't actually a Libertarian but just uses the movement to promote himself in hopes that he can create a society that will stone children to death and execute non believers.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by robert68 View Post
    Selgin is good. He's principled and can put the deep and complex in understandable language, which is unusual for economists.
    Looked him up; from this talk, I like where his head is.

END THE FED!

His talk begins at the 30 minute mark, and then speaks up during the Q&A. The whole discussion is worthy.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?318370-...ederal-reserve
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

They haven't done anything

Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
    Looked him up; from this talk, I like where his head is.

END THE FED!

His talk begins at the 30 minute mark, and then speaks up during the Q&A. The whole discussion is worthy.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?318370-...ederal-reserve
    Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by robert68 View Post
    He and Larry White are basically the successors to Hayek in the free banking school of thought.

LVMI doesn't like them because they reject Rothbardian banking. In fact, Selgin and Salerno got into it pretty bad over fractional reserves.

IMO, Mises himself would have sided with Hayek in support of free banking.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlerzzz View Post
    Maybe that North has come out and said that he isn't actually a Libertarian but just uses the movement to promote himself in hopes that he can create a society that will stone children to death and execute non believers.
    The Mises Institute is about economics, and that is where Gary North is an authority. He's working on the Ron Paul curriculum too and I think that's a good thing. I don't think his religious beliefs have influenced his work with the institute.

They haven't done anything
    Except promote End the Fed for 30 years. While it took CATO until this week to start an official campaign against it.

The Mises Institute is about economics, and that is where Gary North is an authority. He's working on the Ron Paul curriculum too and I think that's a good thing. I don't think his religious beliefs have influenced his work with the institute.

Except promote End the Fed for 30 years. While it took CATO until this week to start an official campaign against it.
    Stoning children to death for not obeying their parents to death isn't an economic issue and is perfectly fine to associate with? K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast