Thread: EO signed to require credit cards to rely on chip instead of stripe

EO signed to require credit cards to rely on chip instead of stripe

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014...ion-in-the-us/

On Friday, President Obama signed an executive order to speed the adoption of EMV-standard cards in the US. The transition to EMV—an acronym eponymous of Europay, MasterCard, and Visa, the companies that developed the standard—has been slow to gain traction in the US. The EMV standard will require credit card companies stop relying on the magnetic stripe cards that are common today and move toward cards with embedded-chips that will offer more secure credit card transactions.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    whoo hooo! - if you can't chip the people, chip their money!

now theives won't have to rip you off at the point of sale - they will just have to walk by you!

AWESOME!

Use cash and leave CC's home unless needed that trip.

Bastards!

-t

Cash is almost always the best answer. But if you find yourself in a situation where you're carrying cards, just make sure you have everything in a good, high quality RFID blocking sleeve:

http://www.tamperseal.com/rfid-credi...eld-p-704.html

You can also get these things for your passport, if you have a passport.
    Last edited by KCIndy; 10-20-2014 at 12:38 AM. Reason: added link to tamperseal.com

"Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Technology making us freer everyday!Right? Am I right?
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

so how far out can someone pick up on these cards? inches? feet? miles?

I guess its conceivable that you could make a "smart card" talk to a "smart phone" and track everything everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    whoo hooo! - if you can't chip the people, chip their money!

now theives won't have to rip you off at the point of sale - they will just have to walk by you!

AWESOME!

Use cash and leave CC's home unless needed that trip.

Bastards!

-t
    Cops love folks who carry large quantities of cash. They just take it and if you can't prove you had it legally, they get to keep it.

Old saying here in the UK. If something's broken it's 'gone west.'

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How does an EO effect private companies? EO's apply to the executive branch.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    How does an EO effect private companies? EO's apply to the executive branch.
    There's still a facet of American life that hasn't gotten an executive branch bureaucracy just to jack with it?

If so, it isn't financial. There's the FDIC, the SEC...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    "Never was a country in the throes of more capital letters than the old U.S.A., but we still haven't sent out the S.O.S."--Will Rogers
    We believe our lying eyes...

The Hildabeast will lead us into the NWO and we will quickly devolve into a "cashless society".
    hey, I see a pattern here....obamanation (abomination), Hildabeast (hildabeast)....
    We will truly be in hell then...

Not sure of validity of the article but I read the other day that new ebt cards will be issued with the chips in the near future too.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Not sure of validity of the article but I read the other day that new ebt cards will be issued with the chips in the near future too.
    There's that pesky executive branch again. Expect unemployment insurance cards to be required to do this at the same time.
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    0 inches.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post

I guess its conceivable that you could make a "smart card" talk to a "smart phone" and track everything everywhere.

For every measure, there's going to be a countermeasure. The secret is learning how something works. If you know how it works, you'll know how to make it NOT work. Seriously, grab some RFID blocking sleeves. I've seen anti-RFID tech built into everything from wallets to folders to briefcases and purses to pants.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    For every measure, there's going to be a countermeasure. The secret is learning how something works. If you know how it works, you'll know how to make it NOT work. Seriously, grab some RFID blocking sleeves. I've seen anti-RFID tech built into everything from wallets to folders to briefcases and purses to pants.
    It's not RFID. The reader makes physical contact with the surface of the chip.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    The RFID chip is going in our tags, er real ID's

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Yes sir! Knowledge is power and can keep us free. That's one of the great things about the net and this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    The RFID chip is going in our tags, er real ID's
    That's nice. What does it have to do with this thread?
    Pinochet is the model

Lol @ the farm animals.
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post

In that case, keeping a card in my wallet will probably cause the chip to get all crapped up and unusable even faster than the traditional magnetic strips.