Thread: Ron Paul lets cat out of the bag on Rand Presidential Run: ‘I Think It's Great He's Doing It’

Ron Paul lets cat out of the bag on Rand Presidential Run: ‘I Think It's Great He's Doing It’

In an interview with PoliticKING With Larry King on Thursday, the elder Paul spoke in the present tense about his son's presidential ambitions (emphasis added):

KING: Do you encourage your son to run for President?

PAUL: Not really, and I have mixed feelings about it because I know what is entailed and how much punishment he gets - it always annoys me he has to suffer some of the consequences because of something I said or did. But he shouldn't have to do that but that's the way system works. So yes I think it's great he's doing it. He has a good message and he understand free-market economics and I just think that its doing a world of good. But I also know the power and strength of the establishment and its a tough road to hoe I'll tell you that but I would never have discouraged him from doing it. Just like I didn't say "Rand I really want to see you go to med school and be a doctor" but I never discourage and was delighted when he did go to med school and become an opthamologist.

It's nitpicking, sure, but it's also telling—even Paul's father sees his son running as a foregone conclusion.
    Read more, with video:

http://www.nationaljournal.com/polit...l-run-20141017
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand isn't even brushing it off anymore.

[...] its a tough road to hoe [...]
    Idiom transcription fail.

Do people who do this ever stop to wonder, "Hoeing a road? That sounds kinda strange. Did he actually say that? Am I getting it right?"
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

Do people who do this ever stop to wonder, "Hoeing a road? That sounds kinda strange. Did he actually say that? Am I getting it right?"
    I always thought it was "a tough row to hoe."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    It is. Hence why the transcription failed. What did you think Occam was saying?
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

Indeed it is. And if you listen to the video, that's what Ron actually said.

Apparently, the transcriber stretched the "t" sound at the start of "to" to a "d" sound at the end of "row."

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    It is. Hence why the transcription failed. What did you think Occam was saying?
    I thought I was hearing things.

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    Rand isn't even brushing it off anymore.
    Of course not, he has national attention now and even mundanes on the street know his name.

He's done a good job getting his name out there and tightening up his stances and I'm glad his dad approves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    Of course not, he has national attention now and even mundanes on the street know his name.

He's done a good job getting his name out there and tightening up his stances and I'm glad his dad approves.
    +1

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

"Not really, and I have mixed feelings about it because I know what is entailed and how much punishment he gets - it always annoys me he has to suffer some of the consequences because of something I said or did. But he shouldn't have to do that but that's the way system works. "

Sometime over the summer it seems like, at least internally with his family, that they decided to go for it. Politically, Rand can't make any official moves until at least after the elections, and (preferably) after any new winners begin their first term in office. It would be even more ideal to wait and see what Hillary is going to do, because if she goes for it, she will be in the process of creating her narrative now. Someone like Joe Biden or John Kerry, their narrative would be "stay the course", but if either one of them run, Hillary would have a different narrative, for contrast. Something about the current policies she strongly disagrees with, and this is why she didn't serve a second term in the current Administration. Once the story with the Democrats is clearer, Rand can more effectively tailor his narrative for a campaign launch. But no one on the Republican side should want to be the first, unless their platform is "because Obama", which is a proven losing strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Sometime over the summer it seems like, at least internally with his family, that they decided to go for it. Politically, Rand can't make any official moves until at least after the elections, and (preferably) after any new winners begin their first term in office. It would be even more ideal to wait and see what Hillary is going to do, because if she goes for it, she will be in the process of creating her narrative now. Someone like Joe Biden or John Kerry, their narrative would be "stay the course", but if either one of them run, Hillary would have a different narrative, for contrast. Something about the current policies she strongly disagrees with, and this is why she didn't serve a second term in the current Administration. Once the story with the Democrats is clearer, Rand can more effectively tailor his narrative for a campaign launch. But no one on the Republican side should want to be the first, unless their platform is "because Obama", which is a proven losing strategy.
    I agree but not sure how strongly ...

Since everyone assumes Hillary will be the dem nominee that they will be quick to assume the first front runner of the GOP to be the nominee. Kind of a Romney situation - where it was almost a given before the race even started that he would be the pick.

If Rand announced early and then, in Romney fashion, went straight to general election rhetoric and kept his aim on Hillary (or whoever) it might help create a narrative of "Rand Paul is going to win".
    That's really the only reason Romney won. I never talked to a die hard Romney fan during the primary except one or two - but several people that supported anyway because "he is going to win".

Of course ... he could also wait a prolonged time to announce while the "amateurs" debated as he waits in the wings as the media to keeps wondering when he will announce. Undermining the competition and, again, creating a narrative that the primary is already won.

... or, most likely, neither scenario will happen. But it is definitely better to be seen as the presumptive nominee rather than the underdog.

Whenever he announces will be a calculated move and the decision will be made by folks wiser (and better paid) than I.

I think it's funny that Occam's BANANA is pointing out an idiom transcription fail. Your username is an idiom transcription fail - albeit an intentional one.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    I think it's funny that Occam's BANANA is pointing out an idiom transcription fail. Your username is an idiom transcription fail - albeit an intentional one.

+rep to you, sir!

Primary season sure is approaching fast. It always starts heating up quickly after the midterms.

I'm looking forward to seeing Ron draw larger crowds than Rand. lol

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's a tough toad to row.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by ctiger2 View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing Ron draw larger crowds than Rand. lol
    Yeah, hang your hat on that. I'm looking forward to seeing Randal draw many more votes than his father and I'm sure his father is as well.

I thought I was hearing things.
    Beats being deaf.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Methinks the transcriber thought Ron was speaking along the lines of inner city prostitution. As opposed to rural farm work. Hoe, road/row... ya' know?

Politics is whoreable sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Ron could have been addressing it from more of a popular media perspective. i.e. simply the assumption that Rand probably intends to run. After all, Rand has said repeatedly that the two of them don't discuss it.

Hitler burned his own Reichstag Piers!
    Hitler fired bombs and turned rash tag Piers! (CNN Transcription)

- Alex Jones

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    It's a tough toad to row.

I wonder when and where it will happen when he officially announces....
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Amash (R) MI-3rd
    "Young people want a Republican Party that believes in limited government and economic freedom and individual liberty, but they want a party that also acts on it.”

THE FUTURE OF THE GOP = R[∃vo˩]ution 2.0: Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by NOVALibertarian View Post
    First they ignore you= Ron Paul, 2007-2008
    Then they laugh at you= Ron Paul, 2012
    Then they fight you= Rand Paul, 2014-2015
    And then you win= Rand Paul, November 8th, 2016

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by philipped View Post
    I wonder when and where it will happen when he officially announces....
    Probably on Hannity's show. If not, Hannity will be the first one to interview him.

Getting into a Presidential race is hard to do...

You don't want to be first because then you bear the brunt of the scrutiny. You don't want to be last because then you look like Johnny-come-lately and won't have as much time to build funds and an organization. You also dont want to launch at the same time as someone else because then your limelight and organic PR gets cut in half or maybe even overshadowed all together.

And then there is the FEC nonsense which makes it very difficult in what one can and can't say prior to actually having a campaign.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

It is if you farm. Or have ever hoed a row.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    It is if you farm. Or have ever hoed a row.
    I've rode a tough ho!