Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 Reasons Why Salvation By Works Does Not Work

10 Reasons Why Salvation By Works Does Not Work

Yes, I know that the salvation debates that went on for a few weeks have died down.... in fact, they appear to be completely over. But those debates inspired me to make this video, and I just finished it last night, so....I'll share it, even though it's a bit late.

If you guys are all debated out on this topic, I totally understand. No worries! (I'm a bit over it too.) But I do hope you at least watch it.

Thanks!!!
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Very nice, thanks for posting!
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    Very nice, thanks for posting!
    Thanks for watching and the kind words!
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Great job Lily! Beautifully done!
    Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession.
    ~ George Washington

Thank you Lily that was exceptional.

the EO crowd ain't gonna like it
    Ephesians 2:8-9-

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Annie View Post
    Great job Lily! Beautifully done!
    Thank you Annie!

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    Thank you Lily that was exceptional.
    Thanks so much! I appreciate the encouraging words.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin007 View Post
    the EO crowd ain't gonna like it
    Well...that's to be expected. But I hope they at least think about these things. Religion should never be put above God/truth. If it does, then religion or a brick and mortar church becomes one's God.

― Henry David Thoreau

great vid but I wonder where the EO crowd went to?

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is a tricky issue. I haven't watched the video yet. I'll try to watch it sometime tomorrow. Good works aren't a prerequisite for salvation, but at the same time someone can't truly be saved if they don't have any good works to show for their claim of faith. Faith comes first and then good works, but good works must follow faith in order for one's claim of faith to be authentic.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    This is a tricky issue. I haven't watched the video yet. I'll try to watch it sometime tomorrow. Good works aren't a prerequisite for salvation, but at the same time someone can't truly be saved if they don't have any good works to show for their claim of faith. Faith comes first and then good works, but good works must follow faith in order for one's claim of faith to be authentic.
    not tricky at all.What is tricky about God's free gift of salvation? What is tricky about grace. Man makes it "tricky", because he wants to have a say in getting saved- it is all of God. Watch the vid.

not tricky at all.What is tricky about God's free gift of salvation? What is tricky about grace. Man makes it "tricky", because he wants to have a say in getting saved- it is all of God. Watch the vid.
    It's tricky because there are verses that both sides use for their point of view. It's like a puzzle that you have to piece together and make it all fit. I've done that and have come to a place where I believe the pieces of the puzzle fit. The Bible talks a lot about faith. The Bible also talks a lot about works. Our works are the evidence of our faith. If we don't have any good works to show for our claim of faith, then our faith isn't authentic but is mere lip service to God.

It's tricky because there are verses that both sides use for their point of view. It's like a puzzle that you have to piece together and make it all fit. I've done that and have come to a place where I believe the pieces of the puzzle fit. The Bible talks a lot about faith. The Bible also talks a lot about works. Our works are the evidence of our faith. If we don't have any good works to show for our claim of faith, then our faith isn't authentic but is mere lip service to God.

Works don't save you . Jesus does. Do you agree with this? All our righteousness is like filthy rags.

Works don't save you . Jesus does. Do you agree with this? All our righteousness is like filthy rags.
    Jesus saves us, but someone who truly believes in Jesus will produce good works. The Bible says that you will know them by their fruits.

If someone comes over to your house and helps you put shingles on your roof, you aren't going to repay that person by going over and egging their house. In the same way, someone who truly has gratitude for what Jesus did for them on the cross isn't going to spit in Jesus' face. They are going to produce fruit-good works-because of the gratitude that they have towards Jesus because of what he did for them on the cross.

Jesus saves us, but someone who truly believes in Jesus will produce good works. The Bible says that you will know them by their fruits.
    exactly. But there is no but.

exactly. But there is no but.
    There is. The Bible says over and over again that a true believer in Christ will produce fruit, will produce good works.

Matthew 7: 16-20

You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There is. The Bible says over and over again that a true believer in Christ will produce fruit, will produce good works.

Matthew 7: 16-20

You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore by their fruits you will know them.
    the thief on the Cross- he just believed. Good works and salvation do not mix. One is grace, the other works (mans effort). If good works don't save you, they can't keep you saved after.

All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away. (Is 64:6)

the thief on the Cross- he just believed. Good works and salvation do not mix. One is grace, the other works (mans effort). If good works don't save you, they can't keep you saved after.
    I pretty clearly said that good works aren't a prerequisite for salvation, so the thief on the cross was saved without doing any good works. My statement, and what the Bible teaches, is that good works come after salvation. Good works and a changed life are evidence that someone is truly saved.

Unbeliever's do good works all the time.

Yes, but they're motivated to do good works for different reasons than Christians are. Christians should be motivated to do good works in order to serve Jesus Christ who died for us, and because the Bible commands us to do good works.

The thief on the cross did more than just believe. He openly confessed his belief, confessed his sin and rebuked his fellow thief for insulting Jesus. Notice that at one time both thieves were insulting Jesus. Mark 15 states that both thieves insulted Jesus. Luke 23 states that one thief insulted and the other rebuked the insulting thief. The most obvious reconciliation of the two accounts is that one thief changed his mind. Regardless, the penitent thief did do something as a result of his faith. Now you can argue that his work was a result of his salvation as opposed to a prerequisite to it, but it's inaccurate to argue that all he did was believe.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    The thief on the cross did more than just believe. He openly confessed his belief, confessed his sin and rebuked his fellow thief for insulting Jesus. Notice that at one time both thieves were insulting Jesus. Mark 15 states that both thieves insulted Jesus. Luke 23 states that one thief insulted and the other rebuked the insulting thief. The most obvious reconciliation of the two accounts is that one thief changed his mind. Regardless, the penitent thief did do something as a result of his faith. Now you can argue that his work was a result of his salvation as opposed to a prerequisite to it, but it's inaccurate to argue that all he did was believe.
    Indeed. Was going to point that out as well (re: thief) yesterday, then thought why bother since all that happens is another argument. This thread quickly descended into just another bigoted thread by which certain folks elevate themselves by mocking other's sincerely held beliefs.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Yes, but they're motivated to do good works for different reasons than Christians are. Christians should be motivated to do good works in order to serve Jesus Christ who died for us, and because the Bible commands us to do good works.
    But just earlier you said this:

Good works and a changed life are evidence that someone is truly saved.
    So then how is that evidence, if unbelievers do it too? People's motivation is the only way to differentiate between the two? So in reality, you are saying that people's motivations are evidence of being saved, not their works. Problem being it can be difficult to tell what someone's motivation is. And, this goes against all the Bible verses that *do* say that works are evidence of faith.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    good works do not save. Do you understand? Jesus saves- only Jesus. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    Well...that's to be expected. But I hope they at least think about these things. Religion should never be put above God/truth. If it does, then religion or a brick and mortar church becomes one's God.
    If the video is: "10 reasons why lilymc falsely believes that Orthodox Christians place a church and their own works above God," I see no reason to watch it.

When you were a Catholic, (I believe you said you once were) if you really believed that that was the message, it's probably better that you left. I can assure you when I was a Catholic and now an Orthodox, that I never believed in my works nor religion was above God. We live a certain way because Jesus preached to love God with our whole heart mind and soul and to love our neighbor as ourselves. And yes our MANY misdeeds are forgiven because of the salvation brought to us by Jesus.

And yes, I'm aware that false accusations get thrown in your direction as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    If the video is: "10 reasons why lilymc falsely believes that Orthodox Christians place a church and their own works above God," I see no reason to watch it.

When you were a Catholic, (I believe you said you once were) if you really believed that that was the message, it's probably better that you left. I can assure you when I was a Catholic and now an Orthodox, that I never believed in my works nor religion was above God. We live a certain way because Jesus preached to love God with our whole heart mind and soul and to love our neighbor as ourselves. And yes our MANY misdeeds are forgiven because of the salvation brought to us by Jesus.

And yes, I'm aware that false accusations get thrown in your direction as well.
    commenting on the video without watching it- nice. No- its a video showing that works do not save us- with bible proof.

commenting on the video without watching it- nice. No- its a video showing that works do not save us- with bible proof.
    I'm commenting on your typical comments in this thread where you mischaracterize my faith in God, as usual. If the video is anything like the thread, I see no reason to spend 15 minutes listening to someone falsely telling me that I trust my works and church over God.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I'm commenting on your typical comments in this thread where you mischaracterize my faith in God, as usual. If the video is anything like the thread, I see no reason to spend 15 minutes listening to someone falsely telling me that I trust my works and church over God.
    Its not about Church at all, she doesn't even mention it imo. So you agree then, that your works will save you?

Its not about Church at all, she doesn't even mention it imo. So you agree then, that your works will save you?
    Mostly I'm answering your questions why Orthodox and Catholics avoid your threads. Your reading comprehension--- Ah, forget about it. Why did I even bother LOL
    Last edited by RJB; 10-20-2014 at 07:11 PM.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast