Thread: I just bought hemp seed at the local market; am I in an alternate universe?

I just bought hemp seed at the local market; am I in an alternate universe?

As I type this, I am looking at a 0.21 pound container of hemp seed that I bought at the Purple Onion in Charleston West Virginia.

Have I been transported to an alternate universe? Since when is it legal to sell hemp seed? When I was in high school, several of my schoolmates spent evenings in a jail cell for as little as one single seed in the upholstery of their cars. How, then, is it that I paid $3.15 fro this small package with no DEA entry team coming to visit me?

My admittedly ancient understanding of the law was that ALL forms of hemp from all species were the stuff of which such visits by DEA were made. Strictly verboten. This used to be true of even the varieties that contain no THC. So what has changed? The law? I can barely believe that. Am I on planet Bizarro?

Help.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Unfortunately Chobani quit making their yogurt which had some hemp seeds in it. Ten grams which is less than one third of an ounce.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3837023.html

If you like yogurt that comes with hemp seeds, Chobani is no longer the brand for you.

The Greek yogurt company announced plans this week to remove hemp seeds from one of its flavors, which had earlier been banned by the Air Force.

Blueberry Power Flip packs traditionally came with a side portion of walnuts, chia and hemp seeds that could be "flipped" into the yogurt. Hemp seeds possess trace amounts of THC, the psychoactive compound in marijuana, and Air Force officials were worried that the product could create false positives on regular drug tests of service members. The Air Force also has a broader policy prohibiting all products that contain hemp seed or hemp oil.

In an effort to conform to the military's strict anti-drug policy, Chobani told the Air Force Times that it would remove the hemp seeds from the packs, making them safe for military personnel, but perhaps also disappointing any fans of hemp.

“We’ve heard some concerns from the military community about Chobani products containing hemp seeds and want to set the record straight. Except for Blueberry Power Chobani Flip, no Chobani product contains hemp seeds,” said Amy Juaristi, director of public relations for Chobani, in an email to the Air Force Times. “However, we’re committed to giving our fans what they want and are in the process of removing the ingredient from our Blueberry Power Chobani Flip. We greatly respect our armed forces and take pride in serving our troops.”

Whether or not Blueberry Power Flip and its 10 grams of hemp seeds per serving could have actually affected drug tests is another issue.

An independent study by Vote Hemp, a nonprofit hemp advocacy group, found that eating a half-pound of commercial hulled hemp seeds -- like the ones included in the Chobani product -- would be unlikely to cause someone to exceed the federal limit of 50 parts of THC per billion. A half-pound is more than 20 times the amount of hemp seeds found in a 5.3-ounce cup of Chobani Blueberry Power Flip.

The same study also found that people who regularly consumed hemp seeds in larger quantities than the Chobani packs were below the limit.
    I have seen other hemp products these days too- including hemp protein powder. (reviews say it has less protein and doesn't blend nearly as well as whey protein though it includes more beneficial oils- they were also selling it for about $45 for a small can! (major grocery chain which usually has high prices on such things).

I believe most of the hemp products available in the country are coming from Canada.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-17-2014 at 08:22 PM.

Reported.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    As I type this, I am looking at a 0.21 pound container of hemp seed that I bought at the Purple Onion in Charleston West Virginia.

Have I been transported to an alternate universe? Since when is it legal to sell hemp seed? When I was in high school, several of my schoolmates spent evenings in a jail cell for as little as one single seed in the upholstery of their cars. How, then, is it that I paid $3.15 fro this small package with no DEA entry team coming to visit me?

My admittedly ancient understanding of the law was that ALL forms of hemp from all species were the stuff of which such visits by DEA were made. Strictly verboten. This used to be true of even the varieties that contain no THC. So what has changed? The law? I can barely believe that. Am I on planet Bizarro?

Help.
    Probably denatured, or unable to sprout.

It is legal to buy imported hemp products, how do you think hippies get their hemp necklaces? Trader Joe's even sells hemp cereal, has for over a decade.

And ya, they probably won't sprout.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Explanations would be nice because I'm pretty ignorant about some of this stuff.

What I do know is that hemp is the male version of the cannabis plant. And if you plant a regular non genetically modified seed of cannabis alone by itself, it's a roll of the dice whether it grows up to be female or male.

Buying whole seeds (in states where marijuana is still illegal) is against the law. Is this hemp seed in the OP ground up into powder or something?

My understanding about growing hemp as a product means that you plant cannabis seeds too close together so that female plants with buds are not likely to grow. It's the same thing as marijuana, but it's the forced environment to make sure that male plants are the product. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    Explanations would be nice because I'm pretty ignorant about some of this stuff.

What I do know is that hemp is the male version of the cannabis plant. And if you plant a regular non genetically modified seed of cannabis alone by itself, it's a roll of the dice whether it grows up to be female or male.

Buying whole seeds (in states where marijuana is still illegal) is against the law. Is this hemp seed in the OP ground up into powder or something?

My understanding about growing hemp as a product means that you plant cannabis seeds too close together so that female plants with buds are not likely to grow. It's the same thing as marijuana, but it's the forced environment to make sure that male plants are the product. Am I wrong?
    Pretty ignorant? RIIIIGGGHHTTT!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

From what I understand, hemp is the fibrous parts of the cannabis plant, as well as the oil, whether male or female. Basically 'hemp' has become the term for "any part of the cannabis plant that can be used industrially" which used to describe mostly the fibers, but now that the idea of hemp oil for fuel and plastic is becoming popular, also describes the oil. Before the War On Drugs, if I understand correctly, ALL cannabis was 'hemp,' and there was no distinction, they were synonyms. There is evidence that even the flowering buds that people smoked were called 'sweet hemp' and there is evidence that Abraham Lincoln as well as Thomas Jefferson partook.

As to the seeds, seeds can be sterilized without being ground up or otherwise physically destroyed. You can purchase imported whole hemp seeds in the US on the condition that they have been sterilized and are unable to sprout new plants.

West Virginia is in serious economic depression.

I strongly encourage them to legalize & grow Hemp.

Hempseed can be imported sterile but not produced domestically.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Am I wrong?
    Yes. Hemp and marijuana are the same thing. Cannabis.
    There are different strains of cannabis. and it can be grown for different purposes.

What is known as "Industrial Hemp" is a low THC variety.
    All plants have Male and Female plants,, though some can have both male and female in the same plant.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Hempseed can be imported sterile but not produced domestically.
    i bought a 2lb. bag of hemp seed at Costco....so yeah, i'm not sure what the panties in-a-bunch crowd is ragging on about..

i laughed.

they will most likely be unable to sprout unfortunately.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

A 3am flash bang grenade might be the shortest answer to
    resolve the OP questions.

They're known to re-align universes, burn toddler faces and
    change lives forever, etc.

(official virus visit usually appears before 5am, within a 21 day
    incubation period, or anytime after their 1st sting.)

IDK
    Last edited by FindLiberty; 10-18-2014 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It is legal to buy imported hemp products, how do you think hippies get their hemp necklaces? Trader Joe's even sells hemp cereal, has for over a decade.

And ya, they probably won't sprout.

I'm not sure show that is relevant, though. As I recall, and I may be wrong, seeds contain a very small amount of THC and that is why they end you up in the hoosegow in need of a lawyer. My junior year in high school, one Bob Cahill (may he rest in peace) got pulled over by a Freehold Twp. cop who, upon searching his car, found a SINGLE seed. Bob spent the night in jail and had some 'splainin to do thereafter. Perhaps this was just a Joisey thing?

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    West Virginia is in serious economic depression.

I strongly encourage them to legalize & grow Hemp.
    I'd have 20 acres of it yesterday. No kidding.

Let's start a thread West Virgina Farmers for Hemp. & share activism actions

A few years ago I was in business with a friend who opened a store called The Third Day Natural Goods Store. The Third Day referred to the third day of creation in Genesis where God made the herbs. We sold nothing that was related to the consumption of thc like pipes or even rolling papers. We were very careful not to get into the headshop category, although the locals called us one anyway lol.

Anyway, we sold a multitude of products which were made of hemp cloth, cordage (hemp twines and ropes), clothing made of hemp fabrics, raw and roasted hemp seed, and various hemp oils etc. All were perfectly legal the seed was sterile and imported from Canada and Romania. I had heard that some times the seed can get some traces of thc on it from the flowers of the plant when processed and it could trigger a positive in a drug test. The DEA checked the seed and was known to halt shipments of legal bird seed up until it spoiled just to harass the merchants. They claimed that industrial uses of hemp sent the wrong message to the youth about drugs lol.

Truth is, hemp is a great gift from God and can provide the finest clothing that rivals cotton in it's durability, softness (when washed so many times), and it's lack of chemical fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides in it's growth as compared to cotton which requires a lot (duPont and Dow chemical). Also, the best paper which also requires far less chems to process (duPont and Dow again)...
    It's seed and oil is one of the best sources of omega threes there is. The oils can make a plastic resin that is superior to those from any petro source...there are thousands of uses of hemp. Just follow the money if you wonder why we aren't growing it....
    Last edited by navy-vet; 10-18-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    A few years ago I was in business with a friend who opened a store called The Third Day Natural Goods Store. The Third Day referred to the third day of creation in Genesis where God made the herbs. We sold nothing that was related to the consumption of thc like pipes or even rolling papers. We were very careful not to get into the headshop category, although the locals called us one anyway lol.

Anyway, we sold a multitude of products which were made of hemp cloth, cordage (hemp twines and ropes), clothing made of hemp fabrics, raw and roasted hemp seed, and various hemp oils etc. All were perfectly legal the seed was sterile and imported from Canada and Romania. I had heard that some times the seed can get some traces of thc on it from the flowers of the plant when processed and it could trigger a positive in a drug test. The DEA checked the seed and was known to halt shipments of legal bird seed up until it spoiled just to harass the merchants. They claimed that industrial uses of hemp sent the wrong message to the youth about drugs lol.

Truth is, hemp is a great gift from God and can provide the finest clothing that rivals cotton in it's durability, softness (when washed so many times), and it's lack of chemical fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides in it's growth as compared to cotton which requires a lot (duPont and Dow chemical).
    It's seed and oil is one of the best sources of omega threes there is. The oils can make a plastic resin that is superior to those from any petro source...there are thousands of uses of hemp. Just follow the money....
    Great write-up & true. I thought I heard North Dakota was making it a "new" cash crop

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    Great write-up & true. I thought I heard North Dakota was making it a "new" cash crop
    Thanks. Yeah, I heard that the other week about ND. Several States over the years have attempted to get approval to grow industrial hemp. Especially, Kentucky who was the main producer for the US Navy during WW2 because we had to have the rope and hemp is the strongest and longest of the natural fibers in the World. After the war, and after duPont invented the synthetic rope the gov outlawed it again.

Another thing I heard, and believe was, that when hemp grew wildly throughout the country it was a main staple for the song birds and soon after it was eradicated in many areas of the country, the song birds literally stopped singing there. That statement every time I heard it for a long time struck something inside of me.

The nutrients in the seed are so beneficial and conducive to optimum health in all creatures, from the smallest to us. It really is criminal to continue this prohibition....

By the way, hemp seed and oil is available on Amazon. I prefer the Nutiva brand myself, and fortunately for me, our local natural food and vitamin store here carries it since Third Day closed. The seeds have to be either roasted or if raw (shelled or not) kept refrigerated or it will go rancid. The oil also must be refrigerated shortly after receipt. The required sterilization with heat that our stinking DEA requires causes this

The former drug czar, General Barry Mcafee fought hard to maintain the embargo on industrial hemp products, but the ongoing grass root efforts of a dedicated group of pioneers finally prevailed and made a little headway. The DEA still managed to maintain a stranglehold on all concerned though, making it as difficult as they could to suppress it. I have been out of the business for several years now, but I suspect not much has changed. Like I said, there is a lot of "private interests" involved. Paper, petro-chemical, textile, etc.

Pardon me for running away here, I certainly got carried away. Truth is, it's so embarrassingly frequent, that I have so little to contribute in here because I know so very little about the subject, that when this came up, and it was finally about something I actually know a little bit about.....well I couldn't resist jumping in. And I sincerely believe that it is a very worthy cause to promote and the sustainability aspect of it alone is very likely a key element to our survival in the future.
    Anyway, count me in on your ideas about a coalition to promote this idea for our friends in the mountains who are being killed by the war on coal.
    Last edited by navy-vet; 10-18-2014 at 06:20 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.