Page 2 of 126 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: It is gonna be a cold winter.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    The colder the winter around here the better. A harsh winter cuts down on the ticks and chiggers and such.
    And slugs. Fu, slugs!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Lol , I have seen lots of snow in winters that did not seem so bad , it is the Temp,'s that bother me , I mean , hell , at my age , anything in the teens or below pretty well sucks , especially if there is any wind .
    I'll take consistently cold. It allows for a decent man-made snow. The freeze/thaw cycle is the worst.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The utility company here just got their rate increase approved, so of course it'll be a cold winter.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

I've had enough cold weather, I hope we have a mild winter. About three years ago we had the perfect winter, I never even pulled out my heavy coat. A hoodie winter, that's what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I've had enough cold weather, I hope we have a mild winter. About three years ago we had the perfect winter, I never even pulled out my heavy coat. A hoodie winter, that's what I want.
    How were the pests the next season? Cold keeps the pests away.

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    How were the pests the next season? Cold keeps the pests away.
    The bugs are always bad, a cold winter doesn't seem to matter too much around here.

The bugs are always bad, a cold winter doesn't seem to matter too much around here.
    How do you grow anything edible?

How do you grow anything edible?
    Plant enough for the critters.

Plant enough for the critters.
    Fug the critters. Put them on the dinner plate.

Here either. The ticks were horrible, along with spiders and crickets.

Am I racist for super-hating black and brown bugs?

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Here either. The ticks were horrible, along with spiders and crickets.

Am I racist for super-hating black and brown bugs?
    The only things that really bother me are the waterbugs (about 2" long roaches).

The only things that really bother me are the waterbugs (about 2" long roaches).
    They are harmless. Shouldn't affect skinny dipping.

They are harmless. Shouldn't affect skinny dipping.
    The only bug that's ever interrupted my skinny dipping are the hornets that built over the pool two summers ago. The bastards built in the highest eve of the house, I couldn't find bug spray that would shoot that far and had to call the exterminator.

The only bug that's ever interrupted my skinny dipping are the hornets that built over the pool two summers ago. The bastards built in the highest eve of the house, I couldn't find bug spray that would shoot that far and had to call the exterminator.
    Thank gawd for professionals.

Thank gawd for professionals.
    Yes, those bees were scary and mean. The interesting thing was the hummingbirds hated them and would attack them which was kinda cool to watch.

Yes, those bees were scary and mean. The interesting thing was the hummingbirds hated them and would attack them which was kinda cool to watch.
    I've always thought humming birds were the biggest badasses, N.A.

I've always thought humming birds were the biggest badasses, N.A.
    They're pretty aggressive. My Mom put out four feeders and they would fight over them. They would start chasing each other around and sometimes they wouldn't be paying attention and get stuck in the screen.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jesus freaking Christ. Yuck.

We Yankees know nothing of such horrors.

They do freak out the yankees. Yankees don't seem to be afraid of snakes either until they run across an 10 ft long coachwhip or rat snake. They're not venomous but they're scary looking. I found one of these guys in my garage summer before last and they're pretty freaky too. The one I found was bright yellow all over.

Um, Manassas?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    El Niño vs La Niña makes for strange weather patterns. Before, y'all had it cold while we seemed to skip winter altogether. This year it may be that y'all will have a mild winter while we get blitzed.
    Yeah, I was all excited when I found the woolly worm. Then I saw the Farmer's Bulletin said my worm had some issues. So guess we get to see whether the worm or the humans are accurate. I am cheering the worm on because last year we got to some -25 and my kitchen did not get above around 10 degrees all the next day with an oil space heater running and the boiler chugging along. It was cold! Farmers says it is supposed to be even colder this year.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

This $#@! is out of control. I have to wear my fancy ass , flannel lined pants tomorrow to work , and broke out my sheep skin lined flannel jacket to wear under my flannel lined canvas jacket..... been wearing the real wool socks for several days ....

Oh my . Guess the young fellas better hope for an early spring .

It's been cold here. 20s to 50s. It snowed last night a little. I'm not complaining. I'm glad to not be sweating.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This just happened a few minutes ago.

That mosquito is now dead but wow, that isn't something I expected to see.

We got hit pretty good last night, this morning the schools are all closed and wind chill in the single digits. This is happening way to early.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

ANd they fly. They are also called "Palmetto bugs." They are not technically roaches, but you'd be hard pressed to say they aren't, even under a magnifying glass.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Oh my . Guess the young fellas better hope for an early spring .
    Shaving has officially been suspended until April. The fellas who are willing to wade through a little brush will be rewarded, the others will just have to do without.

Page 2 of 126 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast