Page 12 of 126 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: It is gonna be a cold winter.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Go to harborfreight.com and get yourself a 212cc Predator engine for $99. I am not a big fan of Harbor Freight, but these engines are well worth the money. I put one on my 40 year old Horse tiller and it has been superb.

Prior, I rebuilt the original Kohler mill. New rings, honed the bore, ground the valves/seats and cut the tappet clearances to spec, rebuilt the carb to better-than-new. It ran beautifully... that is, until the governor went stupid. It over-sped and tossed the rod. Never again. I went to H-F here in Cross Lanes and picked up a Predator engine for $99. That was three years ago and it has been excellent, much to my surprise. I'd feared it would have been crap. I was wrong. Very wrong. It also have considerably more balls than the Kohler, whose engines I do not particularly like. Seriously D00d, don't waste your time on trying to get old $#@! running.
    I Looked at those and thought about it , i went ahead and bought a new wood splitter @ Rural King , thing has been nice.
    Do something Danke

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My kids delivered and stacked a pick up truck load of firewood to our elderly neighbors. Mrs. Martha pays them in homemade banana bread. They can't resist it. Nice kids.

We had a bunch left over from last winter and I wanted it cleaned out. I only use firewood for my fire pit outside or if the power goes out. Our woodpile had gotten too big and I plan on cutting down a few trees this winter so I figured we should make some room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    My kids delivered and stacked a pick up truck load of firewood to our elderly neighbors. Mrs. Martha pays them in homemade banana bread. They can't resist it. Nice kids.

We had a bunch left over from last winter and I wanted it cleaned out. I only use firewood for my fire pit outside or if the power goes out. Our woodpile had gotten too big and I plan on cutting down a few trees this winter so I figured we should make some room.
    If you cut some down , will that make room to plant some pecans ?
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    If you cut some down , will that make room to plant some pecans ?
    I'm working on an orchard. Peach trees and I want a fruit salad tree but Mr Animal thinks they're a scam . I also want a pecan and walnut tree but I really need to comb the woods behind my house first. There are pecan trees all over the place around here and I bet there are already a few out there somewhere.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Time to sweep the chimney and prepare for a cold winter..

I've heard people talk of ice-skating again.. Are we able to this year or will climate change mess it up yet again !?
    "I am a bird"

Been a very pleasant Fall this year once the summer rains finally ended at the end of Sept . I have split much wood though the past two days .
    Do something Danke

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have split much wood though the past two days .
    Thanks a lot, now we are getting snow tomorrow.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I read earlier this yr , avg first snow flurries here is Nov 19 . That is the forecast too , 72 and sunny today , rain ,flurries with a high of 40 Sat .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I predict a mild winter .
    Do something Danke

Nothing here yet, not a flake. We usually have some in November. This year it's hit the 20's a few times at night, but lately low 50's daytime, which is abnormal.

I cleaned up all the leaves and insulated and sealed up around my well tank. It froze up a few times last year before the snow came and we got banked in real good. I think it was wind blowing in the cracks, once there was a few feet on the ground it didn't freeze.

Still fairly warm here. High of 77 today and the low will be in the mid 40's. I'm sitting outside right now in a sweatshirt and long john pants and I'm comfortable.

Snowing in the Rockies , 75 here , storm is just now getting state line ( from Satanois , you guys probably call it Illinois ). 40 degree temp drop coming for the morning they say , storm moving 50 - 60 MPH .
    Do something Danke

I think the strike @ Ohare is to start soon .
    Do something Danke

Warm day. I was cold when I got out of the shower and put on a long sleeve tshirt but I was miserable when I went to run errands - 79 today. I have the coldest bathroom on the planet. I have heat lamps over the shower and a space heater going but it's still freezing.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Gas prices up 20 cents for the Holiday . TSA promises improved service out of Indy for Thanksgiving , says expect two hour wait .
    Do something Danke

Warm day. I was cold when I got out of the shower and put on a long sleeve tshirt but I was miserable when I went to run errands - 79 today. I have the coldest bathroom on the planet. I have heat lamps over the shower and a space heater going but it's still freezing.
    In the 40's Monday morning in Florida .
    Do something Danke

Yesterday a record high in the upper 70's , this morning , 32 and flurries .
    Do something Danke

Windy..leaves blowing all around. It finally feels like fall this morning. I love stepping on crunchy leaves.

It's weird that I like stepping on crunchy leaves because I refuse to step on crunchy bugs. As a matter of fact, I sweep them out the door. I don't have a problem stepping on non crunchy bugs.

My fire is most excellent , I may put a couple pork chops on the pitchfork and watch them cook .
    Do something Danke

After reading about that leaf spider, I won't be crunching anymore leaves.

Coldest morning of the Fall here this morning , supposed to be 50 for Thanksgiving though . That will be a nice Thanksgiving , I think one year it was 60 and sunny. I remember because I went outside and took a nap in a lawn chair .
    Do something Danke

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Coldest morning of the Fall here this morning , supposed to be 50 for Thanksgiving though . That will be a nice Thanksgiving , I think one year it was 60 and sunny. I remember because I went outside and took a nap in a lawn chair .
    Last year, it was chilly on Thanksgiving but I wore shorts and a t-shirt on Christmas and was sweating.

Thanksgiving this year is suppose to have a high of 68 and a low of 41. Not bad...

It has finally turned cool here. It's chilly out, but not a cloud to be seen anywhere. We had a lot of rain in the spring and summer but the spigot turned off Labor Day. We haven't had rain since then. The color is good against the bright blue sky, but we need some rain.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Just flew over this area yesterday, very white down below.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-winter-in-u-s

"For those cursing the unseasonable November chill, there’s an ominous sign up north. It suggests this winter will be long and cold, according to one eminent scientist.
    He’s the father of the “Siberian Snow Theory.” In a nutshell, he argues that the more snow covering the ground in northern Eurasia, the colder we can expect it down below. Sadly, Siberia is looking pretty white already

Judah Cohen, a renowned MIT climatologist, has been working on this theory for 17 years, despite skepticism from some U.S. government weather experts. Cohen, who figures his theory has been right 75 percent of the time, spies all the makings of an early, cold winter.

“This year, we have had this very textbook situation,” Cohen said.
    The first blast of Siberian-spurred cold could come in December this year, instead of the usual January, according to Cohen, director of seasonal forecasting at Atmospheric and Environmental Research,a unit of Verisk Analytics, which works with governments and financial-services and insurance companies.
    While it isn’t certain where the frigid air will land -- North America, Asia or Europe -- Cohen is predicting cold will envelop more of the U.S. than government forecasters expect. Cold, rain and snow could extend from the upper Great Plains to Florida.

Holiday travelers will hope he is wrong, as will retailers who rely on last-minute shoppers who could be deterred by snow and slush. But those who make money from natural gas, whose price dropped because of warm weather, may be in for a treat.
    “If he is right that would be terrific,” said Teri Viswanath, managing director for natural gas at Pira Energy Group in New York. “I hope he’s right."

Conflicting Forecasts

Viswanath isn’t betting on it because of conflicting weather models. For example, the Tuesday forecast for Dec. 2 to Dec. 6 called for much of Canada and the eastern U.S. to be warmer than normal, according to MDA Weather Services in Gaithersburg, Maryland.
    Since he was a graduate student, Cohen, who grew up in Brooklyn, has explored the connection between snow in Siberia and weather throughout the temperate regions of the northern hemisphere.
    Cohen charts a kind of chain reaction. Climate change melts ice in the Arctic Ocean, resulting in more moisture in the atmosphere. That leads to more snow covering Siberia, which reflects sunlight -- and warmth -- from the terrain.

This chill sends energy toward the Polar vortex, the vast weather system that traps cold air in the Arctic. As a result, the vortex breaks down, sending cold air south, as if a refrigerator door had opened.
    1998 Fail
    Stephen Baxter, a meteorologist and seasonal forecaster at the U.S. Climate Prediction Center in College Park, Maryland, isn’t convinced. In a conference call last week to discuss federal forecasts, he called the correlation between Siberian weather and the U.S. "weak."
    On the commercial forecasting side, Matt Rogers, president of Commodity Weather Group LLC, brings up the inconvenient fact of 1998. Blame El Nino, the periodic warming of the Pacific Ocean that often wreaks havoc with global weather.
    That year, after that disruption, snow piled up in Siberia -- but the U.S. winter was warm. Last year -- the warmest winter on record in the contiguous 48 states, Cohen’s theory missed again because of El Nino.
    “So I think his Siberian-based prediction could work out, but a 1998 fail is still a huge risk,” Rogers said.
    Last edited by Danke; 11-23-2016 at 10:38 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Windy..leaves blowing all around. It finally feels like fall this morning. I love stepping on crunchy leaves.
    Its funny, every year we get a huge ass windstorm the day before the township does leaf collection. So all the giant ass leaf piles people spent their entire weekend raking and blowing and pulling to the curb get blown back on their lawns just in time for the city to come by and collect.

Went out for a drink (three or four) after I finished cooking and it wasn't cold when I left the house but it was pretty chilly when I left the bar. Mr Animal had the nerve to roll his eyes when he saw I had my heavy coat but he even admitted that it was chilly outside around midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Its funny, every year we get a huge ass windstorm the day before the township does leaf collection. So all the giant ass leaf piles people spent their entire weekend raking and blowing and pulling to the curb get blown back on their lawns just in time for the city to come by and collect.
    The city closest to me wastes millions on leaves
    Do something Danke

I just chop my leaves up with a mower.
    Do something Danke

I just chop my leaves up with a mower.
    Same here, I have never raked leaves where I'm living now.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.