Page 11 of 126 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: It is gonna be a cold winter.

Not super warm today. We had a bad storm last night and it cooled things down. The sun came out long enough for me to break a sweat at the car wash but it clouded up and started raining again when I got home. Luckily, I took the ferns off the porch to clean and they got some water. They were looking kind of sad but I always forget to water them. Seriously, my front porch is where ferns go to die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    So you went today in your shorts?

Exactly , it gets all the old ladies down the way to stop & buy some eggs .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Exactly , it gets all the old ladies down the way to stop & buy some eggs .
    I bet. I'd buy eggs from you.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I bet. I'd buy eggs from you.
    Yours will be free , I will just over charge Danke .

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yours will be free , I will just over charge Danke .
    I love free eggs. In return, I will bring you some sun ripened peaches. You can give Danke a peach if you feel bad about overcharging him or you can just keep them and have Mrs O make you a cobbler.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I love free eggs. In return, I will bring you some sun ripened peaches. You can give Danke a peach if you feel bad about overcharging him or you can just keep them and have Mrs O make you a cobbler.
    If I feel bad , LOL

I had to put on the Carhart to mow the ditch today . I fired up the heat in the outbuilding for a few minutes this morning , I may start a fire .

I may give up and break out the flannel lined jeans again .

I may give up and break out the flannel lined jeans again .
    Lol. Thought the same thing this morning. It's that time of year for layers so they can be peeled off.

I put on a long john top under my flannel and my carhart , think I am building a fire . Tomorrow to be 60 and sunny they say .

Have on my Merino wool socks . Sweet.

I lit up the propane heater in the outbuilding a bit this morning. It was up to 40 already .Must gonna be nice out today .

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    95 tomorrow , but I will be stacking wood .

Well , what is this winter supposed to be like ?

Well , what is this winter supposed to be like ?

“Oh, my sweet summer child," Old Nan said quietly, "what do you know of fear? Fear is for the winter, my little lord, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north. Fear is for the long night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods”

Going to pick up a new chainsaw here in the next week or so , scorched the piston in this one , somehow , dirt got in there .

Old ladies in the village down the way are already spreading rumors that it is to be a bad winter . Meh , they have no way of knowing that . One thing is certain , if the precipitation does not slow way down , there will be feet and feet of snow . Probably record rainfall at my place the past two July's and this Aug too .

I'm not too worried. I just bought 2050 gallons of propane at 1.09 a gallon. I should be good to go for a cold winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I'm not too worried. I just bought 2050 gallons of propane at 1.09 a gallon. I should be good to go for a cold winter.
    I remember a few years ago when it got up to 2 1/4 around here .

I remember a few years ago when it got up to 2 1/4 around here .
    Yes, there was a propane shortage, because the farmers had to dry some beans and used up more than expected.
    I just found out, I can buy as much as I want at the summer prices and the propane company will store it for me and deliver it as I need it. That should save me a lot of money should there be a shortage again.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Yes, there was a propane shortage, because the farmers had to dry some beans and used up more than expected.
    I just found out, I can buy as much as I want at the summer prices and the propane company will store it for me and deliver it as I need it. That should save me a lot of money should there be a shortage again.
    I always locked up my price in the summer . I always figured it will only go up once it gets cold .

Guess I will throw a couple rick in the basement on Sunday.
    Do something Danke

I don't know what kind of wood to get this year. It's been getting chilly at night here. And in the morning. I enjoy the Fall season. In fact, it's my favorit time of year. But the recent chill reminded me of wood.

I'm thinking cherry this time.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I don't know what kind of wood to get this year. It's been getting chilly at night here. And in the morning. I enjoy the Fall season. In fact, it's my favorit time of year. But the recent chill reminded me of wood.

I'm thinking cherry this time.
    I have some Cherry sawed up to split , some ash , beech & crab apple split already and some hickory down that I need to saw and split
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    That will be good for you before hockey and ice fishing .
    Do something Danke

I have some Cherry sawed up to split , some ash , beech & crab apple split already and some hickory down that I need to saw and split
    Sounds like a little bit of work you have there, oyarde. You splitting it by hand or a splitter? Actually, I guess you end up doing both, Heh. That's something that I always enjoyed doing. Especially in the colder season. Something about the cooler season makes coffee in the morning much more enjoyable.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Sounds like a little bit of work you have there, oyarde. You splitting it by hand or a splitter? Actually, I guess you end up doing both, Heh. That's something that I always enjoyed doing. Especially in the colder season. Something about the cooler season makes coffee in the morning much more enjoyable.
    I have a wood splitter now , got my first one about 4 yrs ago , it was used and very, very old , hand made , I still have it but I cannot get parts for the starter /assembly/clutch on the motor anymore ( which I usually had to rebuild every year), it is an old Briggs industrial with a cast iron bore . I need to find one like it that I can cannibilize , I did not want to just put a new motor on it . I bought a new one last fall , it is a joy to use .
    Do something Danke

I have a wood splitter now , got my first one about 4 yrs ago , it was used and very, very old , hand made , I still have it but I cannot get parts for the starter /assembly/clutch on the motor anymore ( which I usually had to rebuild every year), it is an old Briggs industrial with a cast iron bore . I need to find one like it that I can cannibilize , I did not want to just put a new motor on it . I bought a new one last fall , it is a joy to use .
    Go to harborfreight.com and get yourself a 212cc Predator engine for $99. I am not a big fan of Harbor Freight, but these engines are well worth the money. I put one on my 40 year old Horse tiller and it has been superb.

Prior, I rebuilt the original Kohler mill. New rings, honed the bore, ground the valves/seats and cut the tappet clearances to spec, rebuilt the carb to better-than-new. It ran beautifully... that is, until the governor went stupid. It over-sped and tossed the rod. Never again. I went to H-F here in Cross Lanes and picked up a Predator engine for $99. That was three years ago and it has been excellent, much to my surprise. I'd feared it would have been crap. I was wrong. Very wrong. It also have considerably more balls than the Kohler, whose engines I do not particularly like. Seriously D00d, don't waste your time on trying to get old $#@! running.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Page 11 of 126 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast