Page 22 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: It is gonna be a cold winter.

Jan2017

mid-60s sunny two days ago, now snowing all day and 20 degrees tonight

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    70 yesterday , flurries this morning , 60's later this week , snow on Fri .
    Do something Danke

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    29 degrees last night. I expect that to at least cause the white plum flowers to drop. Need to get my ass out to the store so I can plant some onions. SHould have already been done.
    Last edited by fr33; 02-25-2017 at 11:23 PM.

It's a little chilly this morning but it's suppose to get into the mid sixties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

My fire is strong tonight . I heard it is to be 19 Sun morning so my fire will be strong tomorrow night as well .
    Do something Danke

Looks like it's shaping up to be a beautiful day. I went ahead and put out my hummingbird feeders today. Last year, I was wondering what happened to my hummers (I usually have so many you have to watch yourself sitting on the patio but last summer I only had three regulars.) and I found out they were all my elderly neighbors house across the street. I went over there to find out what Mrs. Martha was doing and it turns out she had around twenty feeders and she was mixing her nectar super sweet. I usually mix one part sugar to three parts water but she was mixing half and half. Well, I'm getting a jump on her this year. I went and bought a bunch of feeders, mixed up some super strong sugar water, and put them all out this morning.

I have one hummer I named Peckerhead who always comes back to my yard. I can't wait to see him this year. He sits on a low branch near my feeders and guards them. He dive bombs any other birds that come by. The best part is, he's not very stealth for a hummer and ends up hitting the screen (I have feeders hanging in the windows of my sun room) and getting his beak stuck in it. He has to put his little feet on the screen to pull is beak out, lol. That's whatcha get for being an $#@!. Anyway, he''s gonna have a hell of a time guarding all the feeders I have out now.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Looks like it's shaping up to be a beautiful day. I went ahead and put out my hummingbird feeders today. Last year, I was wondering what happened to my hummers (I usually have so many you have to watch yourself sitting on the patio but last summer I only had three regulars.) and I found out they were all my elderly neighbors house across the street. I went over there to find out what Mrs. Martha was doing and it turns out she had around twenty feeders and she was mixing her nectar super sweet. I usually mix one part sugar to three parts water but she was mixing half and half. Well, I'm getting a jump on her this year. I went and bought a bunch of feeders, mixed up some super strong sugar water, and put them all out this morning.

I have one hummer I named Peckerhead who always comes back to my yard. I can't wait to see him this year. He sits on a low branch near my feeders and guards them. He dive bombs any other birds that come by. The best part is, he's not very stealth for a hummer and ends up hitting the screen (I have feeders hanging in the windows of my sun room) and getting his beak stuck in it. He has to put his little feet on the screen to pull is beak out, lol. That's whatcha get for being an $#@!. Anyway, he''s gonna have a hell of a time guarding all the feeders I have out now.
    So what I'm getting here is that you really like hummers?
    Be careful when you pry my gun from my cold dead hands, the barrel will be hot.

Quote Originally Posted by chudrockz View Post
    So what I'm getting here is that you really like hummers?
    Love 'em. And the birds, too.

Six days to the first day of spring and it is snowing here . About an hour North they have cancelled school . Least snow since 1983 ( we are 15 inches below normal ) , but that does not count because I missed that winter and was somewhere worse . 8 degree wind chill tonight , maybe another inch of lake effect snow tomorrow .
    Last edited by oyarde; 03-13-2017 at 09:13 PM.
    Do something Danke

After a very mild winter, we seem to be having the last cold squirt of winter. This is why I dug up all the bulbs in my yard. We always have a few beautiful weeks of warm weather in January or February and the daffodils think it's time to bloom and then Bam! a night or two of freezing temps and they're dead.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    After a very mild winter, we seem to be having the last cold squirt of winter. This is why I dug up all the bulbs in my yard. We always have a few beautiful weeks of warm weather in January or February and the daffodils think it's time to bloom and then Bam! a night or two of freezing temps and they're dead.
    I have some in the woods . They started blooming a few days ago . Looked lovely in the snow yesterday .
    Do something Danke

I am enjoying my fire , coffee , sausage and real maple syrup . I may get motivated later and look at my daffodils in the snow before I go to the bank .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I am enjoying my fire , coffee , sausage and real maple syrup . I may get motivated later and look at my daffodils in the snow before I go to the bank .
    I am enjoying my fake fire space heater with a cup of coffee. I had a bowl of collard greens for lunch. When my break is over, I'm going to finish cleaning out from under the kitchen sink and wash the cabinets. Then, I'm going to make my kids put all the clothes Mr Animal told me to get rid of in the attic.

We got right down to 32 last night but got back up to about 60 during the day. I had a bunch of volunteer squash/zucchini plants and had strategically thinned them out. It killed what was left. There will be a bunch more pop up again I think while I water onions and sugar snap peas.

Jan2017

Winter is officially over with the vernal equinox at 6:29am Eastern Time tomorrow - Monday 3/20.

Especially warm today up to 79 but "smoky" with 50 acres burning in the western Boulder foothills with zero containment officially . . .

Beautiful day. My next door neighbor cut down some trees and invited me over to drink beer at his bonfire later. I happened to run into him at the gas station buying beer today. He kind of scared me. I was sitting in the car looking for my debit card and he started banging on the glass. That's okay, I saw him in the parking lot at Kroger awhile back and catcalled him, lol.

I miss Kroger..
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

60 today , 28 tonight , 40 tomorrow and 70 Friday .
    Do something Danke

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Another inch of rain between now and tomorrow night . I am starting to get behind already on muh outdoor projects .
    Do something Danke

83 today

The pool is at 90 but it looks like a swamp. I poured a whole bottle of algaecide and put 4 bags of the good shock in it but it's still swampy. Mr Animal tried to get me to get in a vacuum it - hell no I ain't gettin in swamp water. Could be a gator in there and I don't want to end up like Danke. Going around with nothing to do but one star threads in the afterlife. There was a cute little toad hanging out under the heater. He kinda goes with the swamp theme I have going on.

39 tonight , 70 on Sunday . Muh toes are cold . time to get out the wool socks .
    Do something Danke

Bad storms, possible tornadoes.

Tornadoes and lightening scare me to death. The last time we had a tornado spotted close to my house I put my kids in the most interior closet with bicycle helmets on (they were 4 and 5) and got in with them. Of course the phone started ringing and I knew it was my mom calling to tell me to take cover so I ran out of the closet and grabbed the cordless and when I ran back to the closet, I couldn't get in. I asked the boys to scooch over and they said they couldn't because the doge came in when I went to get the phone. I was in such a state, I forgot to get the doge earlier. Good thing he knew what to do in a tornado.

Yesterday was beautiful but today we're back under a tornado watch.

Bad storms last night. Mr Animal kicked me out of bed because I got scared and was keeping him awake. I don't see how the man could sleep. It was hailing and lightening like crazy. I just wanted him to make me feel better but he told me I was being a baby and I got the "I've got a $#@!ing job to go to in the morning so shut up or GTFO" lecture. I GTFO and went and bothered my kids.

It was 95 here yesterday. arghghghg.. today a little less scorching but still.. spring is gone for the year
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Yesterday afternoon was a hail storm , this morning 30 and driving rain , i was expecting snow . Sunday to be 76 .
    Do something Danke

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    30 tonight , 65 tomorrow , 75 Sunday . Stiff breeze today . Cold .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    30 tonight , 65 tomorrow , 75 Sunday . Stiff breeze today . Cold .
    Deceivingly beautiful. I made the mistake of going to the outdoor garden center in shorts and (thank God) Mr Animal left a hoodie in my van because I was freezing. It wasn't cold until the wind started kicking up but we had crazy wind today. We had a gust at the garden center that knocked all of a woman's plants off her cart and some of them out of their containers.

I would be happy if the rain would ease up a lot . Probably be at 8 inches of rain in the past week by tomorrow . I am not flooded yet but see no reason to push the envelope .
    Do something Danke

It's been raining the pat few days but today, the sun is shining and the birds are chirpping. Yay!!!

I plan on riding to Lawerenceville with the boys and having lunch on the rooftop patio while they check out free comic book day. It's a thing we've been doing for years.