Page 27 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: It is gonna be a cold winter.

By me...

Forecast high Thursday -4

Forecast low Thursday -19

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I've got one of those stove-top fans that uses a peltier element to generate a voltage/current on the dc motor... Works great, warm air being blown about the room. Works better than I could have imagined. It even seems to provide more draw into the stove itself by pulling air upwards at the back of the stove. (I need to put the air intake/thermostat/bimetal thing at a lower setting for the same heat..)

So I'm having a nice warm Christmas day here.
    Off to the "what I learned on RPF".

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    By me...

Forecast high Thursday -4

Forecast low Thursday -19
    i pray for more global warming.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Peltier elements are about the most useful pieces of solid state technology. Use it to heat, use it to cool, use it to turn heat into power... Although not super efficient. It works.
    "I am a bird"

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ya , I do not think I am aware of this . Seems like this could be useful . WTF .

In the late 60's the alarmists were harping about how we were destroying the planet and we would soon be in a new ice age if we didn't change our evil ways... Looks like they've come full circle. I see the new fear is global cooling. I wish they'd make up their minds...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Looks like it is to be about 6 when I head out to the feed lot in the morning . I have the electric warmers on the water troughs already .

I was wrong , closer to Zero . Little early for that , anything lower than 12 or so kind of unusual until Jan./Feb.

Looks like -1 Mon morning and -5 Tue morning to start the New Year . I would like some global warming for Wed please . Average low for Jan is 20 .

In N.C. tomorrow will be the high before the drop off...50! My mom is in the hospital but I have older siblings struggling to seem the most self important.
    So I'm going to cut a cord of wood in perfect temp. and split what I can before the sun goes down. Colds a comin'. Not like oyardes or AF's. But sunday the sun goes down for awhile.

-3 outside right now, much warmer than the -65 the other night when I flew over the North Pole.

I think I saw a couple of stranded polar bears freezing on some ice drifts down below trying to warm themselves on the remains of an Injun Eskimo family’s carcasses they had just been gnawing on.

I finished my crew meal and retired to the bunk room. It was uncomfortably warm in there, so I did not get much rest over Siberia.

When I awoke, I was over Oyarde’s ancestral lands. Very sparsely populated now. Central heating is a luxury down there, I turned on my foot warmer as we flew over and had some hot tea.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    -3 outside right now, much warmer than the -65 the other night when I flew over the North Pole.

I think I saw a couple of stranded polar bears freezing on some ice drifts down below trying to warm themselves on the remains of an Injun Eskimo family’s carcasses they had just been gnawing on.

I finished my crew meal and retired to the bunk room. It was uncomfortably warm in there, so I did not get much rest over Siberia.

When I awoke, I was over Oyarde’s ancestral lands. Very sparsely populated now. Central heating is a luxury down there, I turned on my foot warmer as we flew over and had some hot tea.
    I have central heat , I just do not like to use it . Seems expensive . You will not get to retire early squandering money on things like that .

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We are expecting several nights in the 20s..in Houston. Bout time. Sick of no winter.

Husband and I were watching the Taxslayer Bowl (way to go, Bulldogs!) and could see the players' breath. We were like, where are they playing? Jacksonville, Florida, are you kidding me?

This must be the impending ice age they predicted back during the Johnson Administration.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

0 out now . Screw that . Tomorrow I will be sitting in front of the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    0 out now . Screw that . Tomorrow I will be sitting in front of the fire.
    You should leave the reservation and go To the nearest Tavern and watch the Vikings game tomorrow.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    You should leave the reservation and go To the nearest Tavern and watch the Vikings game tomorrow.
    That is what I was planning but probably will just have to pay and watch it on my laptop . The Mrs wants to go by the local Moose Lodge in evening and I am not going to town twice . It is 2 degrees and snowing . Fire is going . Just a few years ago I would have grabbed my fancy double barrel 20 Ga and went and hunted a couple rabbits for dinner tomorrow . Now it likely needs to get closer to 20 before I think about it .

I looked at the forecast tonight while having a beer at the Lodge . Not to reach 20 degrees until next Sun afternoon, another week . That is pretty nasty .

This is the coldest I've seen in the Memphis area in the 13 years we've been here. It's a good thing there's no precipitation because southerners don't do well when the roads get slippery... There was an ice storm about 10 years back and I was having a blast driving around and laughing at everyone sliding off the roads while I drove along. Living a good many years in snow country helps and I'm one of those clowns who can't wait to get out in it and do cookies...

THIS ONE

Watching The Global warmth across the country.
    Have a wood fire going, and a supply stocked,, but it's been mild here.

I have done enough winter,, so I don't mind the mild ones for a change.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hope everyone is enjoying the record warmth.

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2666/n...ber-on-record/

The past meteorological year (December 2016 through November 2017) is the second warmest such period, only surpassed by the El Nińo enhanced December 2015 through November 2016 period.
    XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

44 degrees here in Florida at the moment.. it's past the Florida classification of *brisk* now.
    I went to take the dog around the block.. nice stiff wind going - she decided to it was not her day to run around the block and turned her little butt around in under 5 minutes
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

The coming winter storm apocalypse:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/%e...eek/ar-BBHNo8d

'Bomb cyclone’ to blast East Coast before polar vortex uncorks tremendous cold late this week

Unforgiving cold has punished the eastern third of the United States for the past 10 days. But the most severe winter weather yet will assault the area late this week.

First, a monster storm will hammer coastal locations from Georgia to Maine with ice and snow. By Thursday, the exploding storm will, in many ways, resemble a winter hurricane, battering easternmost New England with potentially damaging winds in addition to blinding snow.

Forecasters are expecting the storm to become a so-called “bomb cyclone” because its pressure is predicted to fall so fast, an indicator of explosive strengthening. The storm could rank as the most intense over the waters east of New England in decades at this time of year. While blizzard conditions could paste some coastal areas, the most extreme conditions will remain well out over the ocean.

In the storm’s wake, the mother lode of numbing cold will crash south — likely the last but most bitter in brutal blasts since Christmas Eve.

The responsible storm is forecast to begin taking shape off the coast of Florida Wednesday, unloading hazardous snow and ice in highly unusual locations not accustomed to such weather. The National Weather Service has already posted winter storm watches from Lake City, Fla. to Norfolk

It is then expected to rapidly intensify, buffeting the Mid-Atlantic beaches and eastern New England, where winter storm watches have also been issued.

The National Weather Service office serving northeast Florida and southeast Georgia cautions that a nasty mix of light freezing rain, light sleet and light snow is expected to develop Wednesday “with significant icing possible.”

In Charleston, one to three inches of snow and sleet is forecast Wednesday, where the Weather Service warns to “plan on difficult travel conditions.”

more at link...

I hope Suzanimal keeps an eye out for Wendigos , they can arrive with a winter apocalypse .

I don't have oyardes kind of cold in the N.C. Piedmont but the wind and cold is coming in. Will have to run the hot water at a drip as it routes outside the house to an instant water heater. I might just shut it off and drain it in the evenings tomorrow and Fri. But, things are warm inside. Fire going and heating the living room and kitchen and dining room and the bathroom has radiant floor heat. Heat pump set at 68 degrees.

By Sun when it gets to 30 , first time to twenty , it will have been about 2 1/2 weeks of this , seems like 2012 was bad like this but worse . Couple weeks of sub zero and single digits you understand why bears hibernate , that is an advanced creature there .
    Last edited by oyarde; 01-04-2018 at 12:12 AM.

'Bomb cyclone’

are they serious?

Used to just be called winter.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

'Bomb cyclone’

are they serious?

Used to just be called winter.
    They are quite serious...and spun up and out of control.

"Bombogenesis"....pffft.

It's called a nor'easter and you usually see at least three or four every winter.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I hope Suzanimal keeps an eye out for Wendigos , they can arrive with a winter apocalypse .
    I hope her Franzia doesn't freeze!
    Last edited by ChristianAnarchist; 01-04-2018 at 07:55 AM.

THIS ONE

Here is the scientific explanation--LOL!

What exactly is a “bomb cyclone”?

A bomb cyclone is a low-pressure system that intensifies very rapidly—you have to have a fall in pressure of at least 24 millibars in 24 hours to qualify as a “bomb cyclone,” or “bombogenesis,” event. When a storm has its pressure rapidly fall like that, it’s going to drive stronger winds, because winds try and blow to equalize differences in pressure. The atmosphere doesn’t like to have different pressures, so what will happen is the wind will flow from high pressure to low pressure to try and balance out the difference.

With this storm, which [has been] named Grayson, the biggest concern is very strong winds gusting as much as 60 miles per hour along much of the east coast. Those strong winds are probably going to cause a lot of power outages.

Does this “bomb” effect just create strong winds or also colder weather and more precipitation?

When you get a rapidly intensifying storm, all of the impacts increase. As the winds grow stronger, you’re also going to be pulling in more water vapor from the periphery of the storm into the center where it then gets forced upwards and condenses—and you get increased precipitation. At the same time, because the storm is getting deeper, it’s able to pull in Arctic air from northern Canada, much more so than if it weren’t so intense. So its reach increases. That means that it’s going to have much colder air on its northern side and, conversely, much warmer air down on its southeastern side. The center of the storm is going to be over the very warm Gulf Stream, and that’s going to provide a lot of evaporation of moisture into the storm, driving heavy snowfalls when it wraps around where the cold air is on the northern side.

What kind of physical conditions create a bomb cyclone?

What has happened is the jet stream has gotten into a big kink. The jet stream is the band of high-altitude winds that goes from west to east over the mid-latitudes. But the jet stream can take a big dive and get a kink in it, so that it has a big loop that goes far to the south and then comes back far to the north. This means that you’re now bringing in very warm air on the east side of this kink flowing northwards—in this case, out over the Gulf Stream where you have got a lot of warm water, too. And just a few hundred miles west of there, now you have got cold Arctic air adjacent to this warm moisture that’s being pulled northward. Those two air masses of very contrasting temperatures are interacting, and the storm forms right along that high-energy boundary there.

What [the storm is] doing is, it’s drawing energy from the difference in temperatures—more technically, the difference in densities—between the two air masses. So the bigger the contrast between that cold Arctic air on the one side and the warm moist air from the ocean on the other side, the stronger your storm is going to be. In this case, that kink is very sharp, so there’s a very intense difference in air masses on either side of this jet stream boundary—and that’s driving the storm. In addition, you’re getting a little bit of energy coming from the ocean itself, like a hurricane does. Hurricanes derive their energy from warm ocean waters—they pull the energy right out of the ocean. This storm, Grayson, is also going to get some of its energy from the very warm Gulf Stream waters.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...zen.yandex.com
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Page 27 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast