Thread: Opinion's on Measure P (Santa Barbara County)

Opinion's on Measure P (Santa Barbara County)

Do you support the shut down of oil or not?
    http://ballotpedia.org/Santa_Barbara...November_2014)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't see why I should?
    Stop believing stupid things

I'd be surprised to find anyone here fond of any ballot measure. It's a type of direct democracy, which is frankly even more irrational than republicanism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I've already voted 'No' on Measure P

I could see possibly voting for a ballot measure banning certain methods or chemicals in 'fracking' if the bill was written well and targeted methods that were known to contaminate drinking water and there were current regulations in place that protected oil companies from liability - or if water contamination from fracking was a real threat. It's not a free market solution to outright ban things like that so it isn't the best way to attack the problem of groundwater pollution imo, but if the oil companies have set it up to protect themselves and this is the only way to protect the water supply within our current system then I would have to consider it.

However Measure P is poorly written and I believe it also may ban drilling practices that are safe and some say it may even affect the ability of property owners to drill water wells.

What is interesting about this measure is that both sides of the debate seem to be using extreme exaggerations in their claims..

Here is a sample of what appears in the Sample Ballot:

ARGUMENT AGAINST MEASURE P2014 (ban fracking)

Measure P is yet another example of a poorly written, flawed and costly ballot initiative. Measure P would result in an entire industry shutting down in our County, hurting thousands of families.

Measure P would shut down oil and gas production.

Santa Barbara County has concluded that 100% of the current oil and gas wells use one of the recovery methods banned by Measure P - these are normal production methods that have been safely used for decades.

As a result, Measure P would shut down nearly all oil and gas production in Santa Barbara County.

REBUTTAL TO ARGUMENT AGAINST MEASURE P2014

Measure P does NOT affect current oil and gas projects or cut a single job. Existing oil and gas projects will continue to operate as usual and traditional oil and gas projects can still be developed. Any claim that Measure P will shut down oil and gas production is wrong.

My question is, if this thing passes, will the groups representing these arguments completely flip flop their positions? I believe so. Will the oil and gas industry who is now saying their entire industry will be shut down flip flop and say that the bill doesn't apply to any of their current or future projects? Will the Water Guardians come out and start saying that many of the current drilling techniques are illegal even though currently they are saying current drilling projects won't be affected? Obviously I'm still voting no, but both sides of this issue seem to really be exaggerating a lot.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

the free market should decide what is best.

This propostion debate is way overblown.
    Last edited by rg17; 10-16-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rg17 View Post
    the free market should decide what is best.
    Ideally, yes, but we don't have a free market.

If there was an industry that was actually threatening to destroy a vast amount of our water supply and they had protections in place so that they weren't liable for repairing their damages, then a ban may be a last-stop protection.. I just don't think that is the case here.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

The local progressive weekly online news/reader The Santa Barbara Independent has endorsed a "No" vote on Measure P:

http://www.independent.com/news/2014...rsements-2014/

Without strong progressive support in south county and north county being a conservative stronghold, this measure will probably fail.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Haven't seen 1 yes on P signs any where in Santa Maria!