Thread: Honor student who brought pocketknife to school suspended for the year

Honor student who brought pocketknife to school suspended for the year

Why was she even searched to begin with?

DEARBORN HEIGHTS, Mich. (WJBK) -
    The Dearborn Heights District 7 Board of Education chose a less severe punishment for the honor student who was initially expelled after a pocketknife was found in her purse at a football game.

On Monday, after two hours of deliberation, the board voted 6-0 to allow Atiya Haynes to take online classes. She then will be able to graduate with her class in 2015.

The decision still came as a blow to college-bound Haynes, who participated in numerous extracurricular activities including sports.

School officials discovered the knife as she was exiting a bathroom at the game when they searched her purse.

Haynes says the pocketknife was a gift from her grandfather who gave it to her for protection because her summer job required her to ride her bike from southwest Detroit to Dearborn.

She reluctantly accepted it and says she forgot it was in her purse.

The school board felt there was no intent to support the zero tolerance statute, but felt the studentneeded to be punished and violated school policy for bringing the weapon.

Haynes felt that the board had its minds made up before the meeting.

"I'm disgusted," she said. "I can't believe that ... no empathy. Put your child in this situation. Every time you forget your keys to your house, think of me. Think of this honest mistake. I'm a human being. I'm 17 years old. It's disgusting that you can sleep at night knowing that you can potentially ruin somebody's life."

"Every discipline issue that comes to us as a school board is a blow to a student," said. Tim Thieken, District 7 superintendent. "I think that she presented her case tonight but at the same time, as a school board, we are upheld by the state of Michigan to uphold the laws of the state of Michigan."

Haynes' mother said that the family is considering their options, possibly private school.

Haynes told Fox 2 that this is a minor setback and that she will overcome it to become a broadcast journalist.

The American Civil Liberties Union represented her for the case and thought that the zero tolerance rule needs to be revised.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/26...d-for-the-year

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    we are upheld by the state of Michigan to uphold the laws of the state of Michigan."
    sounds like a quote from reno 911 or some other parody show.. say the above to yourself out loud.. ha!

are they $#@!ing serious? thats the dumbest thing I have seen today but its early still I suppose.

translation: "We are bureaucrats and really have no comprehension of a world where rules are not blindly enforced..."
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Wow, so in today's public schools you can rape a girl and get a 5 day suspension from school, but if you get caught with a pocket knife, you get expelled from school. It doesn't get more messed up than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Wow, so in today's public schools you can rape a girl and get a 5 day suspension from school, but if you get caught with a pocket knife, you get expelled from school. It doesn't get more messed up than that.
    They are Satan's playground, TC.

If this is "government" are you sure we wouldn't be better off without one?

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    They are Satan's playground, TC.

If this is "government" are you sure we wouldn't be better off without one?
    I think we would be better off without government run schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    I think we would be better off without government run schools.
    That's a start.

I started carrying a pocket knife in elementary school and continued through high school graduation. 15 years later I never stopped carrying a pocket knife. Public schooling does not teach you much about life. My only regret about it is that I did not drop out. I'd be thousands of dollars wealthier.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    IPublic schooling does not teach you much about life.
    But it teaches you everything Theye want you to know.

In a word, COMPLY.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.