Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand's Public Relations

Rand's Public Relations

Why does he come off as not a personable person and unfriendly. All interactions he seems tense, uptight, and nose up high. I remember watching the campaign trails Rand always showed no emotion and never got up to stand and cheer while everyone else is roaring

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He still comes across quite a bit better than he used to though

That's his personality. He also has dry humor.

He will be groomed, trust me.

Thanks for the replies guys. That always had me puzzled but if that's just his personality nothing you can do about it.

Personally, I don't know wtf you are taking about. I find he comes off quite personable even if serious. This is the guy that talks about getting the mojo back you and are saying he isn't personable? The only people I've heard say that were left wing media slanderers.

Quote Originally Posted by robertwerden View Post
    He will be groomed, trust me.
    Well, now's the time.

Not sure that I agree with the OP though. Are there any recent videos you can provide where you think Rand came across negatively?
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

I always see that criticism. It's weird because I don't think he comes across as emotionless or uptight. If anything, I've always felt he seemed too relaxed. But a lot articles include that criticism so maybe I'm missing something.

I suspect part of it is that he very policy driven. His speeches aren't just Obama is a meanie and platitudes about the Constitution.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 10-12-2014 at 05:56 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I like junior's way. He carries himself in a way that is consistent with an educator or similar speaker. In a matter of fact kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    I always see that criticism. It's weird because I don't think he comes across as emotionless or uptight. If anything, I've always felt he seemed too relaxed. But a lot articles include that criticism so maybe I'm missing something.
    I think its just the meme they are trying to push across so people that never actually hear, meet or listen to him have that impression of him/are prejudiced against him.

Its the same folk that said his dad was grouchy and mean....yeah I read that on more than one occasion.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 10-12-2014 at 06:42 PM.

That's just his personality. He can't change who he is. But I think he comes across well, personally.

He usually laughs through every interview with every question posed. The opposite of stoic. Albeit it is almost always part of a sarcastic or incredulous reaction, followed by his stated opinion.

I have noticed that sometimes when he gets a tough question from a group he's speaking to, after answering the question he will get steely-eyed, contort his mouth, and look askance at the floor with an awkward pause and silence. I looked for an example on youtube but couldn't readily find one.
    Last edited by anaconda; 10-12-2014 at 07:57 PM.

The way he reads speeches off teleprompters is really bad. His speech patterns are much better when he's speaking contemporaneously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Personally, I don't know wtf you are taking about. I find he comes off quite personable even if serious. This is the guy that talks about getting the mojo back you and are saying he isn't personable? The only people I've heard say that were left wing media slanderers.
    Agreed. Rand is magnitudes hipper than any Senator. You don't talk about the Republican being like "pizza with bad crust" without a sense of humor. Or jihadist "wonderlands" or taking out Jane Fonda with a missile.

He laughs at so many of their questions because they are stupid and/or troll questions. This drives the reporters nuts so they write mean things about him.

I don't think Rand is the type of guy to walk into a room and have people gushing all over him. Rand seems too normal for that...too down to earth. Many, in support of Rand, have commented that his persona is normal for many surgeons, that they are very matter-of-fact, ie not Patch Adams.

However it's as if a majority of people want a celebrity in office; someone who is very personable and so fake-nice, that even as they know he/she is being fake-nice, they still love them for it.

People who didn't like Bill Clinton would often say they that upon meeting him in person, they came away impressed with his seeming ability to relate to them. Believe me, in order to leave this impression in a matter of seconds is not the norm. And one could bring up the definition of psychopath ie two of the hallmarks of psychopathy are a calculating mind and a seemingly easy charm. You know watching a movie that this person is usually the killer.

Over the weekend I saw a documentary about former NYC Mayor Ed Koch. Now love him or hate him, this guy seemed larger than life.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-rgezvFzhA

Rand Paul doesn't have to be Ed Koch, or Reagan or Clinton, thank God. He just has to be himself. Keep up the positive demeanor. Be ready for any question. Be as honest as you can be**. And keep a good up rapport with the media.
    Last edited by scottditzen; 10-13-2014 at 12:51 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    First off spec for good I NEVER said anything about his father. You sir need to stop putting words in people's mouth and learn to relax and be less defensive. What is this movement about if we can't ask legitimate questions? I am not from left wing bud so I suggest you not rush to conclusion's. Do we not all want maximum freedom, prosperity, and peace? you had better check yourself
    Last edited by jon4liberty; 10-13-2014 at 01:16 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlnlS409CLY he did have a smile in the first min but maybe I am being too hyper sensitive but I am really good at receiving body language.

Quote Originally Posted by jon4liberty View Post
    First off spec for good I NEVER said anything about his father. You sir need to stop putting words in people's mouth and learn to relax and be less defensive. What is this movement about if we can't ask legitimate questions? I am not from left wing bud so I suggest you not rush to conclusion's. Do we not all want maximum freedom, prosperity, and peace? you had better check yourself
    Interesting. A four-month poster telling a RPFer with nearly 30,000 posts and a full rep bar to "check himself"?

I didn't see where Spec rushed to any conclusions or got defensive at all, but I do recognize it in your response.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I asked politely and I get a response like this Capt? Then trying to associate me with left wing media slanderers

I think its just the meme they are trying to push across so people that never actually hear, meet or listen to him have that impression of him/are prejudiced against him.

Its the same folk that said his dad was grouchy and mean....yeah I read that on more than one occasion.
    Just because I asked a question I am lumped into all that as well Capt?

I have been apart of the Liberty a long time friends and how you are welcoming a new RPF member you should be ashamed. We are trying to grow the movement. Why can one not ask a question? I am in favor of a Rand presidency and you two get all defensive. Randomname, Taftfan, robertwerden, traditional conservative all had respectful courteous responses......

No need to get upset, I wasn't referring to you personally but rather media slanderers pushing this meme. I and others here disagree with that characterization of Randals personality.

Please cite some appearances where "All interactions he seems tense, uptight, and nose up high." TIA Because I can cite just as many if not more where he is loose and jovial.

Well I apologize sir for getting testy and defensive.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have been apart of the Liberty a long time friends and how you are welcoming a new RPF member you should be ashamed. We are trying to grow the movement. Why can one not ask a question? I am in favor of a Rand presidency and you two get all defensive. Randomname, Taftfan, robertwerden, traditional conservative all had respectful courteous responses......
    Re-read this thread objectively. You will see who over-reacted. Welcome to RPF. You can ask any question you want, but be careful not to let disagreement become personal.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Well I apologize sir for getting testy and defensive.
    No worries. I'd just like to see some examples of what you are talking about. That way we can see if we truly disagree or if is just a perception problem. There should be plenty of youtubes available if its a real problem. Are you talking about speeches? one-one personal appearances or maybe just hostile interviews?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlnlS409CLY I also met him here in Iowa and several friends did as well. Not mean by any means just not the most friendly person ever, I think I am just being a little picky I think Krugminator might have it right when he says too relaxed. Sometimes his enthusiasm in interviews sometime just doesn't have that spark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlnlS409CLY
    Your example is just one of him standing in the background while other people speak?

I like when he says "Well, you noooooo....". He sounds like papa Paul there. Heh...

I wont lie im at work and cant be scanning youtube for too long. but I guess you and spec shall just agree to disagree. his personality is a little dry and there is nothing wrong with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast