Thread: FBI Chief: "Americans Should be Deeply Skeptical of Government Power"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

FBI Chief: "Americans Should be Deeply Skeptical of Government Power"

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/jam.../10/id/600072/

He then goes on to denounce encrypted hard drives that the government doesn't have the power to unlock:

"The notion that we would market devices that would allow someone to place themselves beyond the law, troubles me a lot," Comey said. "As a country, I don’t know why we would want to put people beyond the law.

"That is, sell cars with trunks that couldn’t ever be opened by law enforcement with a court order, or sell an apartment that could never be entered even by law enforcement," he continued. "Would you want to live in that neighborhood? This is a similar concern.

"The notion that people have devices, again, that with court orders — based on a showing of probable cause in a case involving kidnapping or child exploitation or terrorism — we could never open that phone?" Comey asked. "My sense is that we’ve gone too far when we've gone there."
    Last edited by presence; 10-11-2014 at 11:27 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So skeptical that they should fire his ass.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

"That is, sell cars with trunks that couldn’t ever be opened by law enforcement with a court order, or sell an apartment that could never be entered even by law enforcement," he continued. "Would you want to live in that neighborhood? This is a similar concern."
    Why yes, yes I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Why yes, yes I would.
    LOL this was my exact first thought.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Why yes, yes I would.
    If you build it, they will come.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Would you want to live in that neighborhood?
    HELL YES!

-t

Would you want to live in that neighborhood?
    HELL YES!

-t

Oh, I'm WAAAAY past deeply skeptical. Have moved heavily into deeply hostile now.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Last edited by newbitech; 10-11-2014 at 04:00 PM.

"The notion that we would market devices that would allow someone to place themselves beyond the law, troubles me a lot," Comey said.
    Yea, sort of a like an individual's private thoughts, memories, and beliefs, eh?

"That is, sell mind reading devices to law enforcement that would forgo the necessity of a court order and render due process all together fruitless, or sell a facial scanners to law enforcement that entirely voids the concept of self-incrimination," he continued. "Would you want to live in that neighborhood? This is a similar concern.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Bless the power of encryption and curse anyone who isn't behind protecting your data from prying eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

The new FBI director was covered on 60 Minutes last night. For a statist, he seemed to have his head screwed on about as well as we could hope for.