Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Huckabee threatens to leave GOP over gay marriage

Huckabee threatens to leave GOP over gay marriage

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee isn’t too happy with the GOP — so unhappy that he just may leave his party.

"[I]f the Republicans wanna lose guys like me, and a whole bunch of still God-fearing Bible-believing people, go ahead and just abdicate on this issue, and go ahead and say abortion doesn't matter either," he said in an interview with the American Family Association’s radio show Tuesday morning.

The one-time presidential hopeful said he was “utterly exasperated” with Republicans for not standing up to the Supreme Court’s decision Monday that paved the way for new states to offer same-sex marriage.

"I'll become an independent, I'll start finding people that have guts to stand. I'm tired of this,” Huckabee threatened. Huckabee also guaranteed the Republican Party would continue to lose people like him if it did not change its actions toward same-sex marriage.

Thirty states plus the District of Columbia can now issue marriage licenses for same-sex couples
    http://washingtonexaminer.com/huckab...rticle/2554606

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Buh-bye!
    There is no spoon.

Hmm, maybe we will see a split of the Republican party. If the Christian right left the party we'd be left with a much more 'libertarian' GOP. There wouldn't really be a need for the Libertarian party anymore.

He is sizing up his support.

Does this mean Huck won't be campaigning for or endorsing any Republicans? He'll get a free pass on this but imagine if Rand also said he was "exasperated" and thinking of going independent. Rand would be excoriated from all directions.
    Last edited by anaconda; 10-11-2014 at 05:19 AM.

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Well that is one step in the right direction. At least then we can get back to fighting the Rockefeller Repubs along with the Neo-cons. Less of the theocrats the better (here I am pretty much in agreement with Goldwater on that issue).
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Sucks for him...
    who are they making him marry?
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "The one-time presidential hopeful said he was “utterly exasperated” with Republicans for not standing up to the Supreme Court’s decision Monday that paved the way for new states to offer same-sex marriage."

You mean fighting a battle that they're increasingly not going to win if they keep talking about sanctity of marriage, being painted as intolerant and on the wrong side of history? That kind of standing up? Good luck.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Please let this happen. If Huck and his army leave, the GOP will be some much more attractive to a much larger group of voters. Huck and his ilk are the Achilles heel of the GOP. Just image if the GOP stood for freedom instead of force and statism according to his version of Christianity.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Econ Disciple View Post
    Well that is one step in the right direction. At least then we can get back to fighting the Rockefeller Repubs along with the Neo-cons. Less of the theocrats the better (here I am pretty much in agreement with Goldwater on that issue).
    Don't insult actual theocrats by comparing them with neoconservative hacks like Huckabee.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    Hmm, maybe we will see a split of the Republican party. If the Christian right left the party we'd be left with a much more 'libertarian' GOP. There wouldn't really be a need for the Libertarian party anymore.
    That's ridiculous. The Christian right are the libertarians greatest allies in the party, and they are much more libertarian than the typical moderate Republican. It's them and us against the big-government neocon establishment. If they leave the party, we should join them. And we should make sure that we have more of a voice in the phoenix that rises out of the ashes than Huckabee does.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    That's ridiculous. The Christian right are the libertarians greatest allies in the party, and they are much more libertarian than the typical moderate Republican. It's them and us against the big-government neocon establishment. If they leave the party, we should join them. And we should make sure that we have more of a voice in the phoenix that rises out of the ashes than Huckabee does.
    Generally when I hear "theocrat" I think of the theonomists, who are indeed far more libertarian than the average Republican. Its not even close, really. Of course, there aren't really that many of them.

The paleocons are also a lot more libertarain than the average Republican.

But the average in the "Religious right" is a warmongering federal drug warrior these days, I don't think most of them support that much liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    Generally when I hear "theocrat" I think of the theonomists, who are indeed far more libertarian than the average Republican. Its not even close, really. Of course, there aren't really that many of them.

The paleocons are also a lot more libertarain than the average Republican.

But the average in the "Religious right" is a warmongering federal drug warrior these days, I don't think most of them support that much liberty.
    The moderate GOP establishment is definitely hell bent on being war mongering drug warriors. But I don't see either of those issues as being among the ones the Christian right defines itself with. Of all the candidates in 2008, Huckabee was probably less of both of those things than any of the more socially moderate establishment guys. Pat Robertson is for legalizing marijuana. So are Pat Buchanan and Tom Tancredo. The biggest drug warriors are the neocons, the same Giuliani types that the Christian right wants to distance itself from that we also want to.

Since we all know that TAX HIKE MIKE Huckabee is FOR SALE...

I say he goes Independent to split the conservative vote, so the Marxist can have their Radical Progressive Hillery in office... her husband won with only 40% of the voters.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Here's to hoping that the frustration of guys like Huckabee will turn into a general frustration with The State.

<-- Optimist

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    The moderate GOP establishment is definitely hell bent on being war mongering drug warriors. But I don't see either of those issues as being among the ones the Christian right defines itself with. Of all the candidates in 2008, Huckabee was probably less of both of those things than any of the more socially moderate establishment guys. Pat Robertson is for legalizing marijuana. So are Pat Buchanan and Tom Tancredo. The biggest drug warriors are the neocons, the same Giuliani types that the Christian right wants to distance itself from that we also want to.
    Have you forgotten what a violent war monger Huckabee is? He wants more war against more Muslims and is a full blown interventionist.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Mike Huckabee is a violent dip$#@!...

Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    Have you forgotten what a violent war monger Huckabee is? He wants more war against more Muslims and is a full blown interventionist.
    Its too bad we banned the guy on rpfs exposing that all the biggest war mongers in D.C. are closet homosexuals. I wonder how many times Huckabee met privately with the RNC chairman during the bush years...

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    No I haven't. I'm no fan of his. But looking at the groups that make up the Republican coalition as a whole, I see the Christian Right as the one we most need on our side and the one that's closest to us ideologically.

I think you mean there wouldn't be a need for the GOP anymore.

This is discussed at length and indepth here... it's really quite worth the listen:
    http://www.cato.org/events/republica...ll-freedom-win
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I wish the liberty movement had the ability to co-opt the gay marriage movement and twist it into a "get government out of marriage" campaign. The political power that they have could be used for good instead of more government intrusion.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Makes me want to dress up in drag, look him up and personally thank him for the GOP embracing the ***** community while hitting on him...

Short black mini or something more conservative... should I shave my legs... decisions, decisions...

-t

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    I wish the liberty movement had the ability to co-opt the gay marriage movement and twist it into a "get government out of marriage" campaign. The political power that they have could be used for good instead of more government intrusion.
    The anti-gay marriage people will eventually join us in this. But that won't happen until they've already lost and gay marriage becomes entrenched as the law of the land. And when that happens it will be too late to get rid of it.
    Last edited by erowe1; 10-11-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Well, at least Gay people aren't having abortions Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    Well, at least Gay people aren't having abortions Mike.

Good point. Huckabee join the Log Cabin Republicans.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Good, we need to start separating from the neocon wing. There are plenty of people who lean slightly to the left that are so turned off by these socially conservative yet liberal with the use of military goons that voting republican is still not an option. We really need a 3rd party but this would be the next best thing.

Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Good, we need to start separating from the neocon wing. There are plenty of people who lean slightly to the left that are so turned off by these socially conservative yet liberal with the use of military goons that voting republican is still not an option. We really need a 3rd party but this would be the next best thing.
    The neocon wing is socially liberal.

The neocon wing is socially liberal.
    You must have a different brand of neocons where you live. Here, most of the neocon faction are also Pharicons.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast