Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Video] Rand Paul interviewed from Ferguson on CNN 10/10/14

[Video] Rand Paul interviewed from Ferguson on CNN 10/10/14

update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na0bdgRNC1E

--

Last edited by jct74; 10-22-2014 at 03:52 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

airs at 5 pm ET

That took up the whole half hour.

Mediaite has video of the first part of the interview:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/rand-paul...ake-weve-made/

I was impressed that he cited the recent case where Atlanta police threw a grenade into an infant's crib during a no-knock drug raid. More people need to be made aware of these outrageous -- the argument against police militarization practically makes itself.
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

Paul said that he would support increases in federal spending for job training in urban communities that could be paid for with cuts to the costs of incarceration.
    What part of the Constitution authorizes a program like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post

Training people for jobs > Training people to become criminals

He's working within the framework to attack some of our most egregious policies.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Training people for jobs > Training people to become criminals
    I know, but I would rather used the saved money to balance the budget and pay off the national debt.

I know, but I would rather used the saved money to balance the budget and pay off the national debt.
    But since that's not politically feasible at this time, we take a smaller step in the right direction first
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

It's called pandering. You only seem to applaud it when he panders to your issues.

Paul said that he would support increases in federal spending for job training in urban communities that could be paid for with cuts to the costs of incarceration.
    FWIW, I don't see anything in that quote that says he would spend all the savings made on cuts in costs of incarceration on job training. I think he envisions it as a net cut in costs and gain in employable people who would then add to the tax base.

Playing the "what part of the constitution authorizes that" game isn't going to help anybody. Sure, many here would cheer it; but fact is the federal govt is already spending money on job training and is already spending money incarcerating people; he isn't proposing starting either one. I'm sure he would vote to end both but it wouldn't pass anyways, so he has moved on more moderate proposals to get the ball moving in the right direction. But you already knew that...

Published on Oct 10, 2014
    In an interview with Wolf Blitzer, Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) spoke about his meeting with NAACP leaders in Ferguson, MO, and called on the GOP to start actually listening to the African-American community.

“I don’t want to characterize how everybody else feels about what I said, but I think it was a good opening to the conversation,” Paul said. “I think in the Republican Party, the biggest mistake we’ve made in the last several decades is we haven’t gone into the African American community, into the NAACP and say you know what, we are concerned about what’s going on in your cities and we have plans. They may be different than the Democrats, but we do have plans and we do want to help.”

Paul, who made waves after the death of Michael Brown with an op-ed calling for the demilitarization of the police, noted that his libertarian leanings and push against the War on Drugs made it “pretty easy” to work with the NAACP’s civil rights agenda.

“There’s a sense of tension and unease that goes beyond just the shootings,” he added. “I think the shooting has brought this to the surface, but there’s a sense of unease in the country. Black unemployment is twice white unemployment and has been for decade after decade. I know this president cares about trying to improve it but it hasn’t gotten better.”

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    It's called pandering. You only seem to applaud it when he panders to your issues.
    It's something that would make sense in a general election, but in a primary it seems like it could hurt him. Someone like Cruz might criticize him for being in favor of creating yet another government spending program.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I'm sure he would vote to end both but it wouldn't pass anyways, so he has moved on more moderate proposals to get the ball moving in the right direction. But you already knew that...
    Well, I also criticized Ron when he used similar rhetoric, like when he called for cutting overseas spending on wars and spending that money on children's health care. (My view is that we shouldn't spend money on either) So I'm being consistent. I support Ron and Rand but don't agree with them on everything.

Great interview! Anyone have the rest of it?
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I like what he said at the 5:37 mark.

It's something that would make sense in a general election, but in a primary it seems like it could hurt him. Someone like Cruz might criticize him for being in favor of creating yet another government spending program.
    Have you always been this narrow minded or is this a recent development? Rand Paul is a politician and politicians pander. The only reason you are upset is because he isn't pandering to the issue you like. This whole "primary vs. general election" is just an excuse for you. The real issue is that isn't pandering to your issue of choice and so you speak out against it.

Well, I also criticized Ron when he used similar rhetoric, like when he called for cutting overseas spending on wars and spending that money on children's health care. (My view is that we shouldn't spend money on either) So I'm being consistent. I support Ron and Rand but don't agree with them on everything.
    congratulations, you are consistent. randal is consistent in that he first pushes for his ideal positions/policies, then pushes for moderate policies trying to find a middle ground that still moves the ball forward.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    Have you always been this narrow minded or is this a recent development? Rand Paul is a politician and politicians pander. The only reason you are upset is because he isn't pandering to the issue you like. This whole "primary vs. general election" is just an excuse for you. The real issue is that isn't pandering to your issue of choice and so you speak out against it.

The way Rand pivots off each of Wolf's questions is amazing. That's some serious talent.

Am I being stupid? Someone said it took the whole half an hour....

Where is the second half of the interview? am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by ghengisconrad View Post
    Am I being stupid? Someone said it took the whole half an hour....

Where is the second half of the interview? am I missing something here?
    There's more floating around out there. Here's a little clip of him talking about Ebolavirus:

Rand posted the full interview on his channel but it has been blocked by a copyright claim from the Pac-12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzfdfVhp60w

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    WTF? The Pac-12? Rand holds a joint copyright with CNN on the interview... The Pac-12??!!!

This video contains content from Pac-12 Networks, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

Huh? I didn't see the interview when it aired... did they talk about college football or something?

probably since the interview was multiple segments it had commercials which they didn't cut out. I would guess the copyright violation is from some audio or video in the commercials which got automatically detected by google.
    Last edited by jct74; 10-14-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by economics102 View Post
    The way Rand pivots off each of Wolf's questions is amazing. That's some serious talent.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

so... where am I supposed to find it?

Well, while we're waiting for that to get unblocked, here's Blitzer talking to an NAACP member who was at the meeting. He has some seriously nice things to say about Rand, and calls him a model for Republicans to follow:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast