Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WILD Swings in the DOW (-300) ... concerned?

WILD Swings in the DOW (-300) ... concerned?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...sday/16962055/

Dow was down 273 one day, then up 276 yesterday, now down 300 today. Wild swings on fed minutes, eurozone news, etc.

Bearish, bullish, or somewhere in between?

Markets have been itching for a correction for a long time. Is this it?
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm looking at you, Zippy.....

lol
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

I think most of the waves were being made by the Fed announcements. I think the big corrections will depend on the results of next month's elections.

That being said, I have the bliss of not having to worry about stocks and investments. I'm married, and my wife is incredibly effective at disposing of all income so we don't have to worry about crass stuff like portfolios! (For heaven's sake don't anyone tell her I said that!)

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    I think most of the waves were being made by the Fed announcements. I think the big corrections will depend on the results of next month's elections.

That being said, I have the bliss of not having to worry about stocks and investments. I'm married, and my wife is incredibly effective at disposing of all income so we don't have to worry about crass stuff like portfolios! (For heaven's sake don't anyone tell her I said that!)
    LMAO!!!! I spit out my drink when I read that..... THAT'S funny $#@!.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Seven years ago I was concerned. Today I realize it is all one big farce.

At least it's getting interesting! The markets have pretty boring for awhile now. I can't believe oil is down to 84.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Seven years ago I was concerned. Today I realize it is all one big farce.
    The equities swings, commodities diving, fleeing to dollars, and other signs look very 2008-esque to me.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

It's funny to see all our domestic oil production (touted as a major plus) leads to dropping oil prices (thus market drops and a negative)

- Diogenes of Sinope

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    It's funny to see all our domestic oil production (touted as a major plus) leads to dropping oil prices (thus market drops and a negative)
    They were hoping to export that to a booming Asia and Europe. Not working out so far.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

At a DOW of 17,000 a 300 point move isn't that much. Stocks are probably a bit overvalued right now and haven't really had any declined for about three years which is a pretty long time. I am not worried. Any investments should be for the long term and don't worry about short term changes.

Low oil prices are bad for energy producers (lowers their earnings which lowers the value of their shares) but it also lowers the costs for other businesses which use oil and that should mean better profits for them in the future.

In 2008, the DOW lost 5,000 points (37%) - we are along ways from that and no reason for that large of a fall in stock prices.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-09-2014 at 04:15 PM.

Been that way for over 100 years in the oil market.

Supply drops, price goes up, drilling explodes, production rises, supply expands, price falls, production slows, supplies decrease.

Rinse and repeat.

hedge funds control the market , when they all try and get out at the same time this thing will get very ugly .

Well , it is a crap shoot ,Copper still over $3 , Oil down to $86 , Brent Crude @ $90 , Gold @ $1220. Probably lost all my gains in the 401K , this week for the past few months, I did pay off a couple loans today , sold a gold 2 Peso Wed, gold probably went up $15 after I left and drove to work. Oil down to where it is means economies not growing , no surprise , I am looking forward to the $3 gasoline . Also , Wed, I sold an 1864 Two Cent Pc. in Very Good , a 1976 S half Proof ,two , 1922 silver half dollars, Uncirculated , silver dollars ,1971 S, 1972S ,1973 S , an Uncirculated 1963 Silver Franklin Half , an Extra Fine , silver , 1945 S nickel, couple of Uncirculated 2010 dollars and a 1932 , Silver , Mexican Peso. , and I bought a 1908 0 Silver half and a 1919 S dime , bag of feed , a shotgun , some ammo , seed , canned goods, Bourbon , beer , a shirt , tie , shoes for a funeral, parts for my plow. LOL , its all good , make some here , lose some there. Going to pick up some Sirloins on Sun at the butcher, he still loves me , even if the NasCrap & S & P do nothing for me .

The bulls and bears are doing their periodic fight for dominance. It will be resolved soon.

Don't worry. If it drops too much Janet will fire up the presses.

Remember, the base on these changes is $17k. As a percent, these moves aren't as big as those in August/September '08.

There will be a stabilization, and then back to general growth for a while. I think we see $25k before the next crash. The institutional investors have a ton more cash than they did in '08, they just haven't taken it out of reserves and put it into the market yet.
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    It will be resolved soon.
    LOL! Um, I don't think so!

WILD Swings in the DOW (-300) ... concerned?
    Not me!

A diversified permanent portfolio just keeps chugging along.

At least it's getting interesting! The markets have pretty boring for awhile now.
    Boring is good! Boring is exactly what I want for the savings that's precious to me.

Just look at that nice, boring, green line. Oh beauty, so sublime.

Dow down about 300 on falling airline stocks. Ebola nurse had flown on Frontier Airlines from Dallas to Cleveland (and back?)

- Diogenes of Sinope

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

They will try to inject more liquidity but like a heroin addict chasing that elusive high, the results will be increasingly diminished.

Markets have been itching for a correction for a long time. Is this it?
    Yep, standard correction, with an extra catalyst of Ebola to help it along. Some might fear that Ebola could have a dampening effect on parts of the economy if it turns into a full blown outbreak.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    waves were being made by the Fed announcements
    Quote Originally Posted by ILUVRP View Post
    hedge funds
    Quote Originally Posted by mczerone View Post
    The institutional investors
    airlines
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    standard correction
    Ebola
    Reasons, reasons, everywhere. Actually, no one knows the reason why the market did what it did. It just did.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Reasons, reasons, everywhere. Actually, no one knows the reason why the market did what it did. It just did.
    The fundamental reason is that people can't eat printed money.

Maybe the markets are starting to feel the effects of the lack of QE?

I'm waiting to hear an announcement from the Fed. At a minimum I'll bet they say they won't raise rates in 2015.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    No one knows why we invaded Iraq. We just did.

In any situation, there is usually not just one reason, but a confluence of factors. Often, many of those factors are unknown or hidden. It doesn't mean they don't exist though.

No one knows why we invaded Iraq. We just did.

In any situation, there is usually not just one reason, but a confluence of factors. Often, many of those factors are unknown or hidden. It doesn't mean they don't exist though.
    Right. Each individual person has his reasons. There are millions of them in the stock market. We'll never know why each of them did what he did. Many times, he may not have a completely clear and articulable reason even to himself. Freud himself may not be able to extract the real cause.

I'll buy back into the stock market under DOW 3000. I know that is a rather high entry point, but I believe in the US economy.

Huebner, that's one of the most boring, vanilla portfolios I've ever seen. And it's flawed because it contains no foreign stocks in Asia, where the most potential for future growth is. Here's how you do it, behold:

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    I'll buy back into the stock market under DOW 3000. I know that is a rather high entry point, but I believe in the US economy.
    Gonna be waiting a while.

The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast