The Yomiuri Shimbun 6 October 2014

The Environment Ministry will begin a model project in which surplus electricity generated from renewable energy sources, such as wind and solar power, will be utilized to produce hydrogen for fuel-cell vehicles.

The ministry aims to maximize the use of green energy, including any surplus power, and spread the use of fuel-cell vehicles. To that end, a plan for hydrogen fueling stations will get a boost....

...To make better use of green energy from Hokkaido and other areas suited for wind or solar power generation, the ministry plans to produce hydrogen using any surplus electricity...

...The plan also offers the benefit of utilizing power from renewable energy sources, which would result in lower carbon dioxide emissions than methods of producing hydrogen from fossil fuels...

Complete piece: http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0001620485

RELATED: You won't believe how safe Toyota's Hydrogen Car Is
http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...en-car-is.aspx

RELATED:
StratosFuel: Pioneers of The Future
By Web Editor Admin CSULA On October 6, 2014

It’s always fun and exciting to get in contact with CSULA alumni along with their whereabouts in life. In this issue, we uncover StratosFuel’s CEO Johnathan Palacios-Avila’s journey from student to #BOSS. Not much is known about hydrogen or its uses for fuel. However, the members of StratosFuel have all the information covered. Our interview covered StratosFuel’s journey, memories, and future plans...

2.Did you know you've always wanted to go into the topic of Hydrogen or creating Hydrogen Stations?

J.PA.: When I was young I wanted to be a medical doctor, or a computer programmer. Building hydrogen stations really did not enter my mind until I was in college. Although the topic of hydrogen fuel and vehicles was of my interest since I was 14 years old.

W.B: At first no, Jonathan and I met at the University, CSULA, and we became really good friends. It was Jonathan's idea to start this project, and therefore he began to introduce me to Hydrogen a few years ago. He was the reason I got in to the hydrogen. I then began to do research on hydrogen and the positive [effects] it has for climate change.

3. How did you find yourself in hydrogen, or on the topic of a hydrogen station?

J.PA: I read an article in Motortrend Magazine back in spring of 2003 about hydrogen being the fuel of the future. The article highlighted GM and their fuel cell vehicle; the technology involved with hydrogen interested me. At first I wanted to improve fuel cells by testing other catalyst, such as cobalt. Back in 2008 wired magazine put out an article about hydrogen vehicles and how they could be a success if they had an infrastructure. I began theorizing about a hydrogen infrastructure and the economics of one back in 2008.

W.B: I found myself in hydrogen when my friend Jonathan [The CEO] introduced me to its capabilities. It was the vision he had as a high school student.

4. I saw on your blog that you've received a great amount of funding for your hydrogen station, congrats! What steps were needed to receive this type of funding?

J.PA: Thank you! Yes we received $2.1M in funding from the California Energy Commission and $200k from AQMD to build our first hydrogen station. The grant from the California Energy Commission is from AB 8 funds, which in 2013 Gov Brown allocated $200M in an effort to build 100 hydrogen stations over the next 10 years. In order to apply there is a great deal of preparation that has to take place, we first have to secure land, equipment, and research the well to wheel of our hydrogen pathway. It took us about 2 months to write a 100 page grant and submit it.

5.Do you have any projects that are relevant to the hydrogen station or simply proud of in your line of work?

J.PA: Yes, I worked for the City of Ontario for about a year, and during my time there I helped write the hydrogen and EV charging station layout for their Climate action plan. I am very proud of that because it is going to help layout the next 20 years of alternative infrastructure in the City of Ontario.

6. What is StratosFuel and what are your plans for the future?

J.PA: StratosFuel owns, builds, operates, and manages hydrogen-fueling stations. Our stations follow along a roadmap that was plotted by the Air Resource Board, and uses our own data from research that we have compiled over the last two years. The roadmap we have drafted spans across the State of California. Currently we have partnered with a company that owns over 100 gasoline stations in prime locations. StratosFuel plans on furthering gasoline station partnerships to better serve states that have implemented Zero-Emission Vehicle Action Plans. We plan to have 30 stations by 2020 and begin to expand out of state...

MORE: http://www.csulauniversitytimes.com/...-of-The-Future

Stratosfuel http://www.stratosfuel.com/
Working Together to invent.the.future™

CSULA Grand Opening of the Hydrogen Research Facility
Streamed live on May 7, 2014

Part of the College of Engineering, Computer Science, and Technology (ECST), the new Hydrogen Facility at Cal State L.A. will be utilized for research, teaching and advancing clean transportation technologies, as well as dispensing fuel to hydrogen fuel cell vehicle users. Several exciting projects being developed by ECST faculty, staff and students will be on display at the grand opening.

Hydrogen- The Next Big Thing