Thread: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Civil Forfeiture (HBO)

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Civil Forfeiture (HBO)

Published on Oct 5, 2014

Did you know police can just take your stuff if they suspect it's involved in a crime? They can!
    It’s a shady process called “civil asset forfeiture,” and it would make for a weird episode of Law and Order.
    See?

Stop and seize
    Aggressive police take hundreds of millions of dollars from motorists not charged with crimes

After the terror attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, the government called on police to become the eyes and ears of homeland security on America’s highways.

Local officers, county deputies and state troopers were encouraged to act more aggressively in searching for suspicious people, drugs and other contraband. The departments of Homeland Security and Justice spent millions on police training.

The effort succeeded, but it had an impact that has been largely hidden from public view: the spread of an aggressive brand of policing that has spurred the seizure of hundreds of millions of dollars in cash from motorists and others not charged with crimes, a Washington Post investigation found. Thousands of people have been forced to fight legal battles that can last more than a year to get their money back.
    more here... http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/inv...seize/?hpid=z3
    Last edited by Constitutional Paulicy; 10-07-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    - Josef Stalin

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Another AWESOME segment. I said once he was 75% on the button and 25% off, but it's moving closer to 90-10.

This is on HBO remember. Liberals are the target audience. These are the issues, and the ways to discuss them, to talk to your liberal friends about!
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

Wow. A full 16 minutes. He's hit or miss sometimes, this time however he is spot on.

their biggest mistake is being honest, like the mom with the gun driving in NJ. I'd be awfully suspicious if the police were interested in how much money I'm carrying.
    this has been going on for a while and sets the precedent now that if you pay in cash you're a terrorist or a drug dealer. you must use a state approved credit company or bank when it comes to all of your transactions.
    Last edited by Warrior_of_Freedom; 10-07-2014 at 02:28 PM.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    Another AWESOME segment. I said once he was 75% on the button and 25% off, but it's moving closer to 90-10.

This is on HBO remember. Liberals are the target audience. These are the issues, and the ways to discuss them, to talk to your liberal friends about!
    I think this is why I get excited about shows like this. It is MSM waking up to our concerns. The more success these programs have, the more likely it is we will see this in other nationally recognized outlets. I'm so jaded by the MSM that I hesitate to speculate on optimistic expectations, but when I see this sort of programing, I'm encouraged.
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    - Josef Stalin

Oliver is not MSM.
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.