Thread: This Is the First Weekend in America With No Saturday Morning Cartoons

This Is the First Weekend in America With No Saturday Morning Cartoons

Yes, its Political because cartoons, you see, were required by LAW for broadcasters to carry at least 3 hours of Childrens Programming per week. I always thought that was as dumb as requiring overnite programming to be nothing but Paid Programs.

http://gizmodo.com/this-is-the-first...2441646/+Fahey

Saturday morning American broadcast TV was once animation's home field. Filling a cereal bowl with artificially colored sugar pebbles and staring at the tube was every kid's weekend plan. Not any more: For the first time in 50-plus years, you won't find a block of animation on broadcast this morning. It's the end of an era.

Yes, The CW, the final holdout in Saturday morning animation, ran its last batch of Vortexx cartoons last weekend. This week, where you once saw shows like Cubix, Sonic X, Dragon Ball Z and Kai, Digimon Fusion, and Yu-Gi-Oh!, you'll instead find "One Magnificent Morning," a block of live-action educational programming.

It's the end of an era, but it's been a long time coming: NBC ditched Saturday morning cartoons in 1992, CBS followed suit not long after, and ABC lost its animated weekend mornings in 2004. The CW, a lower-tier broadcast network, was the last holdout in a game that the Big 3 left long ago.

What killed Saturday morning cartoons? Cable, streaming, and the FCC. In the 1990s, the FCC began more strictly enforcing its rule requiring broadcast networks to provide a minimum of three hours of "educational" programming every week. Networks afraid of messing with their prime-time slots found it easiest to cram this required programming in the weekend morning slot. The actual educational content of this live-action programming is sometimes debatable, but it meets the letter of the law.

(Continues on Link)
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What killed Saturday morning cartoons? Cable, streaming, and the FCC. In the 1990s, the FCC began more strictly enforcing its rule requiring broadcast networks to provide a minimum of three hours of "educational" programming every week.
    just wait until our overlords set their sites on the likes of Netflix. "Sorry, you can't stream this kids show until you spend 3 hours watching our choice of educational programs Similar to what Canada's govt is trying to do to Netflix right now in regards to local content.

Govts step in and "order" people to do "the right thing" for ALL the "wrong reasons". Problem is Right and Wrong are subjective terms, and their idea of "the right thing", which forces people to consume content they are ordered to consume can result in nothing but the exact opposite of the intended effect. Its no different than forcing pot to be illegal. And what this will evolve into will be nothing short of 3 hours of mandatory "listen and obey your overlords". Of course, unless Fedbook is recognized as being far more powerful of a tool of control than TV ever could be... Now go eat your Wheaties, not because it is required by law and the law itself helps to prop up the business, but becaue "we will tell you what is good for you".
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

What killed Saturday morning cartoons?
    Sorry-assed cartoons.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

What killed Saturday morning cartoons?
    teh internets

Quote Originally Posted by pessimist View Post

teh internets
    TV killed the internet. My time watching t.v has gone down 95%
    If you asked me what causes crime, it's from people becoming insane watching hours of drug and erection commercials
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

All of the networks still have at least a half-hour of cartoons each day. It is called the evening news.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is there a solution here involving an animated Ron Paul superhero on a daily educational cartoon series?

Education.

Meaning Government approved propaganda.

It's ED......U......CA.......TION.....AL!

The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    Sorry-assed cartoons.
    I think it was more likely the collective realization that we didn't have to put up with sorry-assed cartoons anymore.

If there is one thing which has affected my parenting, it was a time in spring of 1996. I had spent about three years making fun of the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers and how stupid childrens' programming was at that time.

Then one afternoon I heard Voltron was going to be on in the afternoons on Cartoon Network. Voltron! Hell yeah!

Then I watched it. And I realized I had no business making fun of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

How did it affect my parenting? Well, I spent a LOT of time sitting in front of the tube watching absolute dreck. Things like the Pac Man animated show.

I got my kids to learn what Guiness and Erben Merlot-Spätburgunder taste like, so that as an adult they'll know to pass on Budweiser and Franzia.
    I see no reason not to do that with cartoons, and that means shielding them from significant portions of my own childhood.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I see no reason not to do that with cartoons, and that means shielding them from significant portions of my own childhood.
    my kid seems to really like the cartoons I grew up on. And with absolutely no direction from me he much prefers the originals to the newer remakes.
    2 such examples: he likes the original transformers tv show and movie; he doesn't much care for the newer transformer cartoons. Lately he has been on a real Scooby doo kick; but he doesn't like the newer ones he will only watch the originals.

It wasn't just cartoons...there were the Sid and Marty Krofft shows too.

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    Sorry-assed cartoons.
    It has been twenty years or more since an animated show was produced for entertainment purposes. Since then all of them have been half hour commercials for toys and games. Period.

Pitiful.

Just another thing strangled by the psychotic behavior of corporations who don't care if they destroy their whole industry, so long as they make their millions and get out first.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Oh don't get me wrong, we all still watch a TON of cartoons. And stuff from my childhood. They particularly like the Smurfs, and I'm ok with that, despite the fact that the Smurfs kind of straddle the line.

Both of my kids really liked Robotech Macross Saga. Which is good, because there's some crazy high-brow stuff going on there. That's a cartoon I grew up with... and it covers the difference between infatuation and love, selfishness vs. duty, militarism vs. pacifism, survival in the face of hopeless odds, death of loved ones, death of someone you're responsible for, rebuilding after you've lost everything... it's a really, really heavy show. And it's definitely on the must-watch list for liberty lovers, IMO.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It wasn't just cartoons...there were the Sid and Marty Krofft shows too.

Sleestaks were scary.

I do miss Thundarr the Barbarian. Oklaa! Ariel! Ride!!!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    just wait until our overlords set their sites on the likes of Netflix. "Sorry, you can't stream this kids show until you spend 3 hours watching our choice of educational programs Similar to what Canada's govt is trying to do to Netflix right now in regards to local content.
    Pretty much you nailed it and also believe i have seen what some of educational programs are and they are not even close to being educational and unwatchable.

The real issue here is the government shouldn't be mandating these programs.

There are plenty of educational cartoons nowadays. So much better than the pure entertainment variety we watched when we were kids. They were just for laughs (slapstick) Looney Tunes and sensationalism (war and aggression) transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Now you have Super Why, Wild Kratts, The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That, and many others.
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    - Josef Stalin

Yes, The CW, the final holdout in Saturday morning animation, ran its last batch of Vortexx cartoons last weekend. This week, where you once saw shows like Cubix, Sonic X, Dragon Ball Z and Kai, Digimon Fusion, and Yu-Gi-Oh!, you'll instead find "One Magnificent Morning," a block of live-action educational programming.
    That show was garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutional Paulicy View Post
    Now you have Super Why
    Super Why is thinly veiled communist propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    It has been twenty years or more since an animated show was produced for entertainment purposes. Since then all of them have been half hour commercials for toys and games.
    Exactly. I realized that as a kid in the 80s. There had been action figures in the past and it was a bit annoying, but GI Joe really went overboard.

Just about every episode, they'd introduce a cool new character who would do all kinds of cool things during the show, then on the real commercial breaks they'd show the action figure doing all kinds of cool things.

The next week they'd introduce another a new cool character, and the new one from last week would disappear and a new action figure was introduced.

That was when I lost interest in cartoons. Even at that age I felt like I was being manipulated-- It's probably the personality type that leads many of us on this forum.
    Last edited by RJB; 10-08-2014 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    That show was garbage.
    Sonic X wasn't total garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Sonic X wasn't total garbage.
    Come on, man, it's all about "Gotta Speed, Keed!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Super Why is thinly veiled communist propaganda.
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    - Josef Stalin

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Exactly. I realized that as a kid in the 80s. There had been action figures in the past and it was a bit annoying, but GI Joe really went overboard.

Just about every episode, they'd introduce a cool new character who would do all kinds of cool things during the show, then on the real commercial breaks they'd show the action figure doing all kinds of cool things.

The next week they'd introduce another a new cool character, and the new one from last week would disappear and a new action figure was introduced.

That was when I lost interest in cartoons. Even at that age I felt like I was being manipulated-- It's probably the personality type that leads many of us on this forum.
    you don't talk like that about GI Joe! I bet you work for Cobra.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995