Thread: British Prince Harry's friend reportedly waterboarded in Syria by anti-Assad extremists

British Prince Harry's friend reportedly waterboarded in Syria by anti-Assad extremists

Does anyone here thinks waterboarding is not torture?

Torture hell of Princes' hostage friend: How British journalist held by 'Jihadi John' was waterboarded ...

Published: 16:01 EST, 19 September 2014 | Updated: 12:40 EST, 21 September 2014

His hands resting on the shoulders of Prince William and Prince Harry, a relaxed John Cantlie smiles for the camera.
    Taken six years ago, it is the first picture of the 43-year-old photo-journalist with the Royals since he was revealed to be the third British hostage held by Islamic State fanatics in Syria.
    With the bushlands of South Africa providing a stunning background and smiling faces, it is a stark contrast to the images of the Briton shown on the chilling IS propaganda video claiming he had been ‘abandoned’ by the government.
    Scroll down for video

+5

African Adventure: John Cantlie, an experienced motorcyclist, accompanied the Princes on a 1,000 mile, eight-day charity ride – described by organisers as ‘an endurance test’ – across South Africa in 2008

Cantlie, an experienced motorcyclist, accompanied the Princes on a 1,000 mile, eight-day charity ride – described by organisers as ‘an endurance test’ – across South Africa.
    He was the official photographer on the journey that saw the small team live, sleep, eat and ride together.
    Cantlie is said to have got to know the Princes well during the outback trip that involved crossing more than 70 rivers, with Harry in particular reportedly sharing his passion for motorbikes.

Related

Gingrich Changes His Position: ‘Waterboarding Is, By Every Technical Rule, Not Torture’

Antonin Scalia Says Waterboarding Not Torture

CIA Lawyer: Waterboarding Wasn't Torture Then And Isn't Torture Now

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's torture.

I'm generally against torture, but in rare extreme cases waterboardings use could be justified just like any other torture.

If you are torturing high level leadership in advance of an imminent serious threat, I can see the case for it.

If you torture the guy who just drives a truck and takes orders, it's not called for.

My 24th cousin got waterboarded too why isn't there a news story about that?
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post

If you are torturing high level leadership in advance of an imminent serious threat, I can see the case for it.
    ...like if Saddam could have tortured Tommy Franks on the eve of invasion.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Does anyone here thinks waterboarding is not torture?
    Dunno, I'd rather like to experience it myself. If there was some place I could go to have it administered by experts inexpensively, without signing up for the military I think I'd give it a go just to see.

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    ...like if Saddam could have tortured Tommy Franks on the eve of invasion.
    You do have a point there.

Saddam killed less people per year than we did. He would have had none of this IS either.

to answer the question: torture is disgusting on all levels. no excuses.

are we 5 year olds or adults here?
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Waterboarding is torture. Torture is always immoral. Period.

Keep in mind that Sarah Palin is a blasphemous anti-Christ, and whatever church she's in should be condemned for failing to command her to repent of this

How can a Christian be so callous toward torture? I can understand reluctantly accepting its use, though I cannot agree. But almost being gleeful toward it? Ugh. The Christian churches need to be purged (and note that by "purged" I am talking about excommunications and possibly ostracism, not physical violence.)