Thread: Be careful with new cans.

Be careful with new cans.

One of my closest friends picked up two cans (suppressors) yesterday. He mounted one, bore-checked for clearance with a laser, and when he lit off the first round the can was blown off the rifle. Three baffles are chipped and he is damned lucky he was not injured.

For those of you who do cans or are even just thinking about acquiring one, BE CAREFUL. When a can goes wrong, serious badness can happen.

ETA: Apparently this was due to manufacturing error. We have five other cans from this company and all work properly. They have given a return authorization and everything is covered under warranty. At this time we suspect the mount was not right, failed to properly lock the can in place and, when subjected to the force of the shot, failed to retain the proper alignment, thus resulting in the bullet striking the first three baffles out of the muzzle. Honestly, I am very surprised this event did not result in the can being demolished utterly and dangerously. That, my friends, is evidence of a small but significant miracle in the life of my friend.
    Last edited by osan; 10-02-2014 at 03:00 AM.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    One of my closest friends picked up two cans (suppressors) yesterday. He mounted one, bore-checked for clearance with a laser, and when he lit off the first round the can was blown off the rifle. Three baffles are chipped and he is damned lucky he was not injured.

For those of you who do cans or are even just thinking about acquiring one, BE CAREFUL. When a can goes wrong, serious badness can happen.

ETA: Apparently this was due to manufacturing error. We have five other cans from this company and all work properly. They have given a return authorization and everything is covered under warranty. At this time we suspect the mount was not right, failed to properly lock the can in place and, when subjected to the force of the shot, failed to retain the proper alignment, thus resulting in the bullet striking the first three baffles out of the muzzle. Honestly, I am very surprised this event did not result in the can being demolished utterly and dangerously. That, my friends, is evidence of a small but significant miracle in the life of my friend.

ETA II:
    Manufacturer is Silencerco and they have been absolutely excellent in their response. Repair turn-around should be 7-10 days. Not bad at all. The four other cans from them have performed flawlessly. We recommend them.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Noice.

Glad to hear your bud made it out unscathed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Can came back a while ago. Mounted and operating perfectly. Spectwar is on 7.62 shortie and has proven fabulous in eliminating muzzle blast. Report is almost low enough to allow for no hearing protection. This is on a 12" barrel, which is ungodly loud without the can.

Defective cans?

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    This is on a 12" barrel, which is ungodly loud without the can.
    PICS!

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    PICS!
    See what I can do... may take a few days.