Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 unveiled: All the new features and changes from Windows 8

Windows 10 unveiled: All the new features and changes from Windows 8

Windows 8 Sucks

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...we-know-so-far

The Start menu returns. After a few years of claiming that the Metro-style Start screen was just as good for mouse-and-keyboard use as touchscreen use, Microsoft has finally backed down. Windows 10 will have a Start menu on the Desktop; the left side will look a lot like the standard Windows 7 Start menu, but the right side will have the option of being populated with Metro-style live tiles. The left side of the menu will adopt a new Metro-like look, too — though you may be able to configure it to look like the good ol’ Windows 7 Start menu.
    FJB

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    //
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Windows 9 must have really been a dog. Skip right over it and go straight to 10.

Ya just gotta love it. If you are ultimately going to sell a bazillion copies no matter what, how good and bug free does it really need to be? The countdown to the new second service pack now begins.

Microsoft has recently gotten pretty rude about getting me off my beloved Windows XP Pro and pushing the upgrade to Windows 8.

Well now that sure ain't gonna happen.

Google, Windows 10 link bomb, INCOMING: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...23.I0OvrSpc6fE
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 09-30-2014 at 11:32 PM.

$#@! MS. 8.1 is painful enough as it is. They're going to lose me to Linnux at this rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    $#@! MS. 8.1 is painful enough as it is. They're going to lose me to Linnux at this rate.
    I think I've heard of that. Does Facebook work on Linux?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    It does when I open it in a Linux browser.

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Yes. Just about everything works on Linux. New laptops are a pain to dual boot under Linux but after trial and error I figured out how to do that too.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Now with 25% more NSA for free!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As far as Windows goes...I'm sticking with 7 for many more years. It's the best thing they've ever done. No reason to switch.

8 years no windoze and counting

linux ftw

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post

linux ftw
    41 years no winblows and counting.

Is this microsofts way of getting around the "every other OS" wisdom when coming to using their OS? If so, they got it wrong.
    Windows 9 was suppose to be the good one. Windows 10 was the one you were suppose to skip.
    I don't know what to do now... I guess I'll play around with Steam OS until this numbering system gets figured out.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by pessimist View Post
    As far as Windows goes...I'm sticking with 7 for many more years. It's the best thing they've ever done. No reason to switch.
    As long as you are at least SP1, you have security update support until April 2020.
    I'd suggest running it in a VM environment or Deepfreeze it and douche once a month.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

also heard rumors that windows 10 will be offered as a free upgrade for people currently suffering from previous windows experiences. no kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post

linux ftw
    What distro?

I'm a gentoo guy but I dig arch too.

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    As long as you are at least SP1, you have security update support until April 2020.
    I'd suggest running it in a VM environment or Deepfreeze it and douche once a month.
    I use my own custom version of Windows- I strip all the bloat and garbage and most native apps before making my own ISO

I have never used windows update, it is not even on my system. I don't use anti-virus/malware protection, etc. My setup is highly idiosyncratic.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am a former gamer- I have never been anti-Windows for that reason. I love Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Is it true Linnux can be run from a CD? I would like to try it when mine gets back from teh shop. Link to a tutorial if you have a moment too, plz. Thnx. ~hugs~
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Is it true Linnux can be run from a CD? I would like to try it when mine gets back from teh shop. Link to a tutorial if you have a moment too, plz. Thnx. ~hugs~

Yes, you can run distros from a Live CD. In fact you can make your own.

If you're a novice, I would recommend linux mint or ubuntu. Do you have any experience burning an ISO?

EDIT: do you have a flash drive? That would probably be your best option.
    Last edited by pessimist; 10-04-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Well first of all, I've seen you talk about Linux several times, and you always spell it "Linnux"

I don't know what Linnux is (maybe a residential HVAC company?), but Linux is a computer operating system.

And yes, Linux can be run from a live CD or a thumb drive. The thumb drive, IMHO is a better option than the live CD.

My alternate is not Linux, it is NetBSD, which is likewise POSIX-Compliant, but it is not Linux. If you are looking for a Linux distro and instructions for it, you will probably do better asking someone else. Having only ever poked around at Linux, I am not in a position to recommend one distro over another. I do know that Ubuntu Linux is the most user friendly, but apparently it ships with some kind of spyware (which, for the record, you can apparently turn off), which makes me refrain from recommending it to anybody.

^^ I said it this way even though I use NetBSD, because the browsers are essentially identical, and I felt no need to add extra confusion at the time.

Well first of all, I've seen you talk about Linux several times, and you always spell it "Linnux"

I don't know what Linnux is (maybe a residential HVAC company?), but Linux is a computer operating system.

And yes, Linux can be run from a live CD or a thumb drive. The thumb drive, IMHO is a better option than the live CD.

My alternate is not Linux, it is NetBSD, which is likewise POSIX-Compliant, but it is not Linux. If you are looking for a Linux distro and instructions for it, you will probably do better asking someone else. Having only ever poked around at Linux, I am not in a position to recommend one distro over another. I do know that Ubuntu Linux is the most user friendly, but apparently it ships with some kind of spyware (which, for the record, you can apparently turn off), which makes me refrain from recommending it to anybody.
    I ran mint in a VM a few years ago, it was very user-friendly. I would recommend that over ubuntu (which I never used or tested but apparently it's the most popular and user friendly distro)

And I agree about installing on a flash drive rather than running from a live cd.

For those interested: http://www.linuxmint.com/

Just a typo, comrade. Sorry. ~hugs~

Yes, you can run distros from a Live CD. In fact you can make your own.

If you're a novice, I would recommend linux mint or ubuntu. Do you have any experience burning an ISO?

EDIT: do you have a flash drive? That would probably be your best option.
    No ISO burning experience. I tried to run Linux from a CD once, but I reckon I did it wrong. It didn't work for me at all. I'll try the flash drive ASAP when my 'puter gets back from teh repair shop. Thnx. ~hugs~

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No ISO burning experience. I tried to run Linux from a CD once, but I reckon I did it wrong. It didn't work for me at all. I'll try the flash drive ASAP when my 'puter gets back from teh repair shop. Thnx. ~hugs~
    Maybe you did like me the first time I tried to burn an iso and boot from it. I burned the actual file.iso to the cd. At the time I had only booted from floppy disks.

Computer repair shop? Yikes! I take it you're not too experienced with computers?

Installing on a flash drive, while the better way, is probably the bit more difficult one (you'd need a walk through). Burning an iso to a cd/dvd is really easy. You probably just didn't make it bootable.

www.distrowatch.com

HB, you're splashing around in a pretty big ocean.
    Every year or so I go to this site and burn 5 or 6 distros from this page. It's usually necessary, because the likelihood that ANY operating system is going to load perfectly on any and all hardware is exactly zero. E.g., I just downgraded a Win8 machine to Win7, and remembered that I have never, not once, had Windows automatically connect to the internet after I loaded it.
    I've also burned discs of a lot of dud linux distributions. The norm is that it seems like everything is going to work, and then it locks up on part of the install.
    I'm gonna guess the failure rate I have on a particular piece of hardware is around 25%.

If you get it installed, odds are everything is going to work well enough to get you going. However, you might also have a negative reaction to the way it's laid out. Just try out a different distro and move on.

Once you get a version you like, you'll find at some point is that all Linux is the same, and the only significant differences are
    1) the repository that's used, and
    2) the window manager/ desktop environment which is used

The window manager/ desktop env is the graphical interface. This whole conversation was started by the fact that Metro is a useless piece of $#@!, and it stems from the fact that it's a totally different desktop environment from traditional Win95 layout. If you ever used 3.1, you'll remember it was really different, too.
    Well, Linux has a smorgasbord of GUIs available. They're also really easily swappable. For instance, Linux Mint comes with a couple different desktop environments available, but I run Mint with Englightenment, which I downloaded with the package manager.

Which brings us to the package management problem. Think about Google Play or the Apple App Store. They have centralized places where you go to get software. Well, with desktop Linux, there are app repositories that are kind of the same idea. But there are a couple competing package systems.
    The two most popular are Debian's .deb packages and Red Hat's .rpm packages. Arch has been mentioned and IIRC it uses something totally different, as does Gentoo. But the top downloads on DistroWatch generally tend to be builds that use one of the above two package systems, or else a totally bespoke build that gets distributed for a particular purpose (like Puppy, which tries to be as small as it can and still functional and so skips the package management altogether).

So if you go for it, I'd suggest you find a couple different distros that use either Red Hat or Debian package management. That will tie you into one of the biggest "app marketplaces". Just about everything else about any particular distro can be made to look like any other distro.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Computer repair shop? Yikes! I take it you're not too experienced with computers?

Installing on a flash drive, while the better way, is probably the bit more difficult one (you'd need a walk through). Burning an iso to a cd/dvd is really easy. You probably just didn't make it bootable.
    I have experience. The only reason I took it to teh shop was because I could figure out why I was getting teh blue screen of death no matter what I did. :/ The guy at the shop had the tools to track down the problem (a virus that got past Norton anti-virus and the various other protectionz).
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 10-04-2014 at 10:46 PM.

What distro?

I'm a gentoo guy but I dig arch too.
    Running Arch on my Netbook. Works great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast