Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: First US case of Ebola

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Rand Paul: Ebola is "not like AIDS"
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/16/politi...ids/index.html
    "If someone has Ebola at a cocktail party they're contagious and you can catch it from them," Paul continued. "[The administration] should be honest about that."
    Exactly!

They have tried to make this like AIDs, and it is not the same at all. You may have been at a cocktail party with a person with AIDs. You have probably shook hands with someone with AIDs. You have probably sat next to a person with AIDS. You are at no risk of contracting AIDs from those activities.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Does anyone realize the implications if a contaminated Ebola carrier gets into a major subway system like say New York City? I'll lay it all out for you. Peak hours. Crowded trains. Standing room only. Straphangers. Perspiration. Breathing on each other emitting biological particles into the air. We're talking about an exponential nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Does anyone realize the implications if a contaminated Ebola carrier gets into a major subway system like say New York City? I'll lay it all out for you. Peak hours. Crowded train. Standing room only. Straphangers. Perspiration. Breathing on each other emitting particles into the air. We're talking about an exponential nightmare.
    I was just thinking today about how many surfaces our hands touch that other hands have touched in a day. I have a cut on the inside of my hand. Just today I went to 2 banks..touched receipts...went to Whataburger.touched bag. Went in and out the door at work 4 times where a bunch of people from work and the public go in and out...and I'm just one person...so before noon I have touched 11 surfaces that other people have touched and that doesn't count the things touched by coworkers that I handle during the course of a workday. I do keep hand sanitizer in my car and on my desk.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Is Common Sense making a comeback?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...10-16-14-24-38

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Annie View Post
    It may not be airborne, yet, but - for a disease to be spread through sweat and body fluids displaced through sneezes and coughs - that's enough to cause serious concern. Given the mortality rate, the level of contagion, methods of transmission, and how long the virus can live on hard surfaces, I don't think anyone can be considered overreacting!
    It's okay to be concerned, and I can understand people with hypochondria freaking out, but so far, we've only had two verified cases of ebola in the U.S., both being nurses who treated "patient zero." The odds of this strain of ebola becoming airborne are so low, it's not really worth getting scared about it. It's necessary to take precautions and make sure we have adequate equipment for our hospital workers and they should be taught the proper procedures. There has been a failure in doing that, which is absolutely concerning because it endangers the lives of workers and other patients, especially if these patients aren't being isolated. As a nurse rightfully stated in a conference, patients who suspect they may have been exposed to ebola should first make a call to the hospital and make it known, then they should be isolated and taken care of properly.

Is it possible for nurses to make mistakes? Certainly. People aren't prone to error, especially in high risk situations. However, ebola isn't spread so easily that we should be in full-on panic mode. With the right precautions, equipment and training, this should be fairly isolated in the U.S. as we've see thus far (and this was just in one hospital that was ill-prepared). Hopefully it will serve as a kick in the butt for the rest of the country's hospitals to make sure their staff is properly prepared.

Does anyone realize the implications if a contaminated Ebola carrier gets into a major subway system like say New York City? I'll lay it all out for you. Peak hours. Crowded trains. Standing room only. Straphangers. Perspiration. Breathing on each other emitting biological particles into the air. We're talking about an exponential nightmare.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's a valid concern. However, unless the person is exhibiting extreme symptoms, the chances of contraction are slim. With ebola, one would imagine a person that's far along would be bed-ridden, not riding a subway line. In any case, if ebola hits a city like NYC with a dense population and mass transportation, I would hope people had enough common sense to be sanitary, avoid touching surfaces or wear protective gear.

Ebola's transmission methods are much worse than the authorities have let on. See this.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-h...-ebola-2014-10
    Was it ever determined whether AJ's discovery of mass coffin-liner production was exactly that? Was this debunked? Just wondering.....

Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Antischism View Post
    It's okay to be concerned, and I can understand people with hypochondria freaking out, but so far, we've only had two verified cases of ebola in the U.S., both being nurses who treated "patient zero." The odds of this strain of ebola becoming airborne are so low, it's not really worth getting scared about it. It's necessary to take precautions and make sure we have adequate equipment for our hospital workers and they should be taught the proper procedures. There has been a failure in doing that, which is absolutely concerning because it endangers the lives of workers and other patients, especially if these patients aren't being isolated. As a nurse rightfully stated in a conference, patients who suspect they may have been exposed to ebola should first make a call to the hospital and make it known, then they should be isolated and taken care of properly.

Is it possible for nurses to make mistakes? Certainly. People aren't prone to error, especially in high risk situations. However, ebola isn't spread so easily that we should be in full-on panic mode. With the right precautions, equipment and training, this should be fairly isolated in the U.S. as we've see thus far (and this was just in one hospital that was ill-prepared). Hopefully it will serve as a kick in the butt for the rest of the country's hospitals to make sure their staff is properly prepared.
    My mother is a doctor at a large hospital in Texas. I feel I have a right to be concerned without being called a hypochondriac.
    Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession.
    ~ George Washington

My mother is a doctor at a large hospital in Texas. I feel I have a right to be concerned without being called a hypochondriac.

My husband works at a large hospital in Houston..I feel the same.

The Enterovirus is worse in this country right now than Ebola. It's in over 40 states now. Not much talk about it though.

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.

In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......

That's a valid concern. However, unless the person is exhibiting extreme symptoms, the chances of contraction are slim. With ebola, one would imagine a person that's far along would be bed-ridden, not riding a subway line. In any case, if ebola hits a city like NYC with a dense population and mass transportation, I would hope people had enough common sense to be sanitary, avoid touching surfaces or wear protective gear.
    Today during the hearing, the head of the CDC acknowledge that a person can be showing mild symptoms, still be contagious, and without running a fever.
    Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession.
    ~ George Washington

It's okay to be concerned, and I can understand people with hypochondria freaking out, but so far, we've only had two verified cases of ebola in the U.S., both being nurses who treated "patient zero.
    One of which boarded a plane,, traveled to the Mid West,,and came into contact with hundreds of other people,(while contagious), who are right now going about their business in contact with others.

However, unless the person is exhibiting extreme symptoms, the chances of contraction are slim.
    Not necessarily so. Where do you get that from?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I said it was okay to be concerned.

Today during the hearing, the head of the CDC acknowledge that a person can be showing mild symptoms, still be contagious, and without running a fever.
    That says nothing of the odds of getting ebola, however.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    One of which boarded a plane,, traveled to the Mid West,,and came into contact with hundreds of other people,(while contagious), who are right now going about their business in contact with others.

Not necessarily so. Where do you get that from?
    Let me know when those people are confirmed to have contracted ebola.

And it's simply common sense on the second point. Coughing and sneezing aren't common symptoms of ebola for one, but if a person does exhibit these symptoms, they would have to sneeze or cough in close enough proximity to another person that it enters their eyes, nose, mouth, etc.. Furthermore, ebola typically dies within hours on dry surfaces with excretion through sneezes, for example. So a person who covers their sneezes or coughs won't exactly be much of a threat. Now, someone who is projectile vomiting or defecating in such a manner absolutely will pose a much bigger threat. These people are also much more likely to be bed-ridden when it gets to this point. I'm not saying it's impossible to catch ebola, just that it's not as easy to catch as some people are making it out to be. I don't see a reason to panic, though I understand the concern and do have concerns of my own.
    Last edited by Antischism; 10-16-2014 at 03:12 PM.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post

Viewers Quickly Notice Something That ‘Makes No Sense’ in Raw Video of Officials Loading Dallas Ebola Patient Onto Plane
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...nt-onto-plane/
    'Mystery Man' At Ebola Transfer Identified as Protocol Officer

The mystery has been solved concerning the identity of a man wearing street clothes, and not a hazmat suit, while Dallas Ebola patient Amber Vinson was being boarded onto an airplane headed for the Emory University Hospital in Atlanta Wednesday.

The man, wearing slacks, a button-down shirt and sunglasses on the airport tarmac and holding a yellow envelope is a team medical safety coordinator for Phoenix Air, which transported Vinson, reports NBC News.

"His role is to oversee the process of transport including on the tarmac," said Randy Davis, a vice-president for medical transport service Phoenix Air, declining to give the man's name. "Part of our protocol is to have one person not in a bio-hazard suit."

Davis told NBC News that standard procedure for the safety coordinator to wear regular clothing, rather that biohazard suits that can block a wearer's hearing and field of vision.

The man is ready to "suit up" if needed, said Davis, and is trained to keep a safe distance from the patient being transported.

"Our medical professionals in the biohazard suits have limited vision and mobility and it is the protocol supervisor's job to watch each person carefully and give them verbal directions to ensure no close contact protocols are violated," an unnamed Phoenix Air spokesman also told ABC News.

"There is absolutely no problem with this and in fact ensures an even higher level of safety for all involved," the spokesperson said.

The mystery started when news programs showed Vinson being transported, reports NBC.

Three workers in the full suits helped the Dallas nurse, who was also wearing protective gear, into the specially-equipped jet to take her to Emory, while the man stood nearby.

The man stood near one of the workers and took what appeared to be a container from that person. Further, he was nearby when one of the workers came off the plane holding a red bag with items from the plane, then took an unused red bag from the worker, and then handed it to the workers as they bagged up more items from Vinson's ambulance ride.

On the video, the man also talks with workers wearing respirators while the red bags were put onto the plane, and then took the container from the stairs and boarded the plane to leave for Atlanta.
    Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.Newsmax.com/Newsfront/Vin...#ixzz3GLPBMqWL

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post

Viewers Quickly Notice Something That ‘Makes No Sense’ in Raw Video of Officials Loading Dallas Ebola Patient Onto Plane
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...nt-onto-plane/
    This may be a dumb question but since when do active airports allow helicopters (or drones) to fly around over the tarmac in the middle of the day just to take video footage of an ebola patient?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

The debate over whether the Ebola virus is airborne is disingenous. I really don't care how a science textbook or the CDC technically define "airborne." When someone can sneeze thirty feet and potentially infect multiple people, that's airborne enough for me. As has been stated, the Ebola virus is not spread like AIDS.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    This may be a dumb question but since when do active airports allow helicopters (or drones) to fly around over the tarmac in the middle of the day just to take video footage of an ebola patient?
    It was probably from inside the terminal through those giant windows.

It's not helping my mood that I flew ten ago and now am sick as hell...(with a common cold...?)

Frontier to remove carpet, seat covers in Ebola plane
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...nson/17366797/

Frontier Airlines says it will remove the seat covers and carpets in the immediate vicinity of the passenger seat that Dallas nurse Amber Vinson occupied on a flight from Cleveland to Dallas the evening before she tested positive for Ebola.

David Siegel, CEO of Frontier Airlines, outlined plans for the aircraft in an e-mail to airline employees.
    (cont)

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    The debate over whether the Ebola virus is airborne is disingenous. I really don't care how a science textbook or the CDC technically define "airborne." When someone can sneeze thirty feet and potentially infect multiple people, that's airborne enough for me. As has been stated, the Ebola virus is not spread like AIDS.
    It's not, though. It's not a matter of semantics at all. Airborne and "droplet-borne" are entirely different things.

I don't see a reason to panic, though I understand the concern and do have concerns of my own.
    I don't Panic..
    I am observing.. and what I am observing is concerning,, even though I am far from Texas,, and far from the Mid West,, where an Ebola Carrier was just traveling.

It is a known Dangerously Infectious Disease..a deadly disease, it should be contained.. it should have been contained in Africa.

It was not. and it appears that it is not being well contained here.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    It's not helping my mood that I flew ten ago and now am sick as hell...(with a common cold...?)
    Haven't you been boosting your immune system with C, colloidal silver, and selenium?? Everyone should be doing this.

Take some Zicam if you have some.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    heh, it's probably from a satellite. google earth mebee? j/k

Obama calling in reserve troops to help Ebola fight in Africa
    http://www.wsfa.com/story/26800165/o...ight-in-africa

WASHINGTON, DC (RNN) - President Barack Obama issued an executive order Thursday calling in reserve military troops to help efforts to stop the outbreak of the Ebola virus in West Africa.

The president, who has cleared his travel schedule for the near future to focus on this problem, issued the call-up hours after some of the nation's top health officials and legislators argued in favor of increasing aid in countries worst affected during a hearing before Congress.

"I hereby determine that it is necessary to augment the active armed forces of the United States for the effective conduct of Operation United Assistance, which is providing support to civilian-led humanitarian assistance and consequence management support related to the Ebola virus disease outbreak in West Africa," the order read.
    One person in the Akron, OH, area has voluntarily self-quarantined after having contact with Vinson during her trip, the Associated Press reported.

Cranwood Elementary School in the Cleveland area was disinfected overnight, according to WOIO, after a staff member may have had contact with Vinson. The teacher will remain at home until cleared by health officials.

Though the 132 people on Vinson's flight are considered to be at low risk for contracting Ebola, some organizations were exercising an abundance of caution.

Nurses from Cleveland and Canton, OH, hospitals who were on board the flight with Vinson were removed from duty pending further guidance from the CDC, WOIO reported.

Solon Schools in northeast Ohio announced on Twitter that Parkside Elementary and Solon Middle schools were closed Thursday. CNN reported that a staff member was thought to have flown on the same plane as Vinson, but not on the same flight.

"Although we believe what the science community and public health officials are telling us about the low risk of possible transmission of the virus through indirect contact, we are nonetheless taking the unusual step of closing the dual school building for Thursday so that we can have the schools cleaned and disinfected," the school district's statement said.

Three school campuses in Texas, in the Belton Independent School District, closed Thursday to be disinfected after reports two students were on the same flight as Vinson, the Associated Press reported.
    (cont)

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Take some Zicam if you have some.
    I used to use Zicam at the start of a cold. I used the medicated Qtips that you swab your nose with. Can't find them anymore.

Self quarantine. Do u have a shed?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    Haven't you been boosting your immune system with C, colloidal silver, and selenium?? Everyone should be doing this.
    Yes, I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    Yes, I have.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast