Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1305

Thread: First US case of Ebola

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    He has been posting in every thread on here about the topic telling people how they should be reacting. If I choose to call him on it, that's my prerogative but he can speak for himself so feel free to ignore me if you don't like my interpretation just as I will probably soon be ignoring the both of you. I haven't advised anyone how they should think or react. I give people here enough credit that they can do their own due diligence and think, speak or feel anyway they wish.
    You're perfectly entitled to respond to him. But it is stupid to suggest that he's infringing upon your freedom, especially on these forums, where one would hopefully have at least a remedial grasp of what that means exactly. It makes it seem as though you have no idea what you're talking about.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    You're perfectly entitled to respond to him. But it is stupid to suggest that he's infringing upon your freedom, especially on these forums, where one would hopefully have at least a remedial grasp of what that means exactly. It makes it seem as though you have no idea what you're talking about.
    The ignore function is functional. Feel free to use it. You have no idea whatsoever anything about me so you can stop making assumptions. I know exactly what I am talking about and since you seem to be the only one bitching about me....maybe it's you Sparky. Consider yourself on ignore.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wish threads on discussion of the Federal Reserve and fiat currency along with numerous other important topics got the same attention as this thread has. Paranoia will destroya. Lets get back to what really maters. Please? Pretty please?
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    - Josef Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutional Paulicy View Post
    I wish threads on discussion of the Federal Reserve and fiat currency along with numerous other important topics got the same attention as this thread has. Paranoia will destroya. Lets get back to what really maters. Please? Pretty please?
    Is anyone forcing you to engage in this topic? Yet another case in point. I guess now we are expected to only have discussions that "matter" as per selected members.

Curious, were people very vocal and angrily calling for travel bans during the H1N1 (284,000 + deaths worldwide) and SARS outbreaks? Those were much more contagious (airborne) and we seem to have gotten them under control. In fact, I can't recall any blanket travel bans ever occurring in the United States. There were travel bans in other countries in regards to SARS, but they proved to be both costly and ineffective.

People are also aware that there are no direct flights from the three most affected regions in Africa, correct? Because there are congressmen who were oblivious to this fact. So what exactly would a travel ban do? What regions would we ban travel from? How would you stop people from illegally getting in? Wouldn't this make it much more difficult to track those who potentially have Ebola? I'm struggling to see the benefits (only one I can imagine is people would feel 'safer') of this. So what happens when we get people who manage to come into the country with Ebola despite a travel ban, and who refuse to be honest because they knowingly violated the ban?

This seems counterproductive.
    Last edited by Antischism; 10-18-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Comments on RPF should follow the reductio argumentum ad hominem safety protocol
    to reduce the spread of infection and mitigate future attacks of this nature!

Protocol protocol protocol

Liberty Bar Soap - Kills Ebola virus too!

Is anyone forcing you to engage in this topic? Yet another case in point. I guess now we are expected to only have discussions that "matter" as per selected members.
    You are making too much of something out of nothing. It's pure paranoia you are feeding.
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    - Josef Stalin

You are making too much of something out of nothing. It's pure paranoia you are feeding.
    How am I feeding paranoia? Citation please. I am relaying things I've read and seen posted. I have not told anyone how they are supposed to think about anything nor have I told them to stop talking about it like you and several others have. Why are you so afraid of discussion?

How am I feeding paranoia? Citation please. I am relaying things I've read and seen posted. I have not told anyone how they are supposed to think about anything nor have I told them to stop talking about it like you and several others have. Why are you so afraid of discussion?
    When this blows over and nothing truly becomes of it you will still hold fast to the belief that discussing a mischaracterization of events was just worthy.
    - Josef Stalin

When this blows over and nothing truly becomes of it you will still hold fast to the belief that discussing a mischaracterization of events was just worthy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	3263

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	3263
    Nonsense is not thought. I assume you mean to say that I am the "Nonsense Police". If so then yes I am guilty as charged.
    - Josef Stalin

Nonsense is not thought. I assume you mean to say that I am the "Nonsense Police". If so then yes I am guilty as charged.
    Look dude. I posted some comments to illustrate what is being put out there. I prefaced it by saying I didn't necessarily buy into it. Should I private message you first and get your permission as to what is acceptable to discuss? Piss up a rope.

New thread if anyone cares to discuss without jackasses accusing you of feeding paranoia.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...on-about-Ebola

Look dude. I posted some comments to illustrate what is being put out there. I prefaced it by saying I didn't necessarily buy into it. Should I private message you first and get your permission as to what is acceptable to discuss? Piss up a rope.
    Funny thing is, my initial post wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the topic of this thread which has gained far more attention that it should have ever earned. You seem to have taken it as if it was directed at you. Not sure why. Perhaps you should ask yourself.
    - Josef Stalin

Funny thing is, my initial post wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the topic of this thread which has gained far more attention that it should have ever earned. You seem to have taken it as if it was directed at you. Not sure why. Perhaps you should ask yourself.

Because it's not your place to come into a thread about a specific topic and tell people that they should only be discussing things that "matter" according to you. You saw the title of the thread before you posted. No one forced you to read it. Apparently you were addressing anyone who has posted in here so why wouldn't I consider myself part of it? At any rate, I'm not going to argue all day so think what you want.
    Last edited by Carlybee; 10-18-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Because it's not your place to come into a thread about a specific topic and tell people that they should only be discussing things that "matter" according to you. You saw the title of the thread before you posted. No one forced you to read it.
    So now who is acting as the thought police? Face it it's paranoia and you and others are feeding it.
    - Josef Stalin

So now who is acting as the thought police? Face it it's paranoia and you and others are feeding it.
    Ignore

Because it's not your place to come into a thread about a specific topic and tell people that they should only be discussing things that "matter" according to you. You saw the title of the thread before you posted. No one forced you to read it. Apparently you were addressing anyone who has posted in here so why wouldn't I consider myself part of it? At any rate, I'm not going to argue all day so think what you want.
    Hilarious. "It's not your place to come into a thread..." and express your opinions on the topic, in other words.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    Hilarious. "It's not your place to come into a thread..." and express your opinions on the topic, in other words.

Opinions are one thing, unsolicited advice is another or telling people that they should post things that "matter". The word Ebola is in the title of the thread yet you don't want anyone discussing Ebola. Now that's hilarious.

Nina Pham, the Dallas nurse to contracted Ebola this week, may have spread the virus to her boyfriend, according to reports.

Got News reported that it got information from two separate Alcon employees. It reported on an email that was sent out to Alcon employees, which said her boyfriend was admitted to the hospital with “Ebola-like symptoms” and “he’s now in quarantine.” The website posted an update from Alcon CEO Jeff George’s email.
    So... this honor system self-quarantine thing is working quite well isnt it? People traveling around. Kissing or having sex with love ones.

New ebola czar is Biden's and Gore's ex-chief of staff. That should tell you right there that ebola isn't a real public health threat. There's an agenda behind it that needs to be guided and approved politically and judicially.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    New ebola czar is Biden's and Gore's ex-chief of staff. That should tell you right there that ebola isn't a real public health threat. There's an agenda behind it that needs to be guided and approved politically and judicially.
    Yeah, Medical tyranny to inoculate you against your will. Then when the epidemic spreads (from the vaccine, of course), they can declare Martial Law.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Bravo. It's paranoia that ebola has been contracted in this nation, and that I don't trust people to self-quarantine and the CDC to provide straight answers to everyone, but on the other hand I should be discussing other topics that involve the Government being shady and incompetent. The logic is so beautiful and flawless, really.

This topic alarms people for three simple reasons that make it the perfect storm.

1. No one wants to die like this. This isn't just a really bad case of the flu. You would not die of the pure disease in the US, mind you, because there are methods of treatment once you have the disease that are way better than you would have access to in a lot of "clinics" in third world countries. You would be mildly more comfortable, if only due to climate control and proper hydration. It's still a little difficult to ignore the symptoms and painful machinations of this little bug. The possibility of bleeding from every major bodily exit, some of them helping to expel parts of your internal workings, is not a good possibility at all. Contrast that with H1N1 which really is a super bad case of the flu. Also contrast it with truly airborne diseases, and you begin to understand that...

2. This should be stoppable. This is not a hugely widespread outbreak, and it should have been pretty easy to isolate right off the bat. Travel restrictions would not have stopped this dead in its tracks, because they are based either on nation of origin (as was pointed out that's a ridiculous way to do this) or on visas/passports. None of that will prevent people taking a roundabout route to the US, those who've visited infected nations and come back but have an "acceptable" passport, etc.. And at this point the genie is out of the bottle. The people involved have interacted with loved ones, been on public transportation, been on cruises, been moved from place to place within and outside of the initial hospital, and so on. Banning others when you have a widening circle of people to suspect might start showing symptoms is a logistical nightmare ripe for abuse. Hell, the CDC's "list of people they were watching" did not seem to originally include this nurse, but the story is simultaneously that she was in close, repeated contact with the patient in Dallas. How does that name not make it onto a list of potentially infected people?

3. Government is short-sighted, self-important, self-replicating, and opportunistic. That almost sounds like a description of ebola, but I digress. They WILL create new departments to oversee this (Ebola Czar? I would have thought the head of the CDC already supposedly handled that, even from a "we must have an agency!" standpoint?). There will be new laws (Republicans calling for travel bans will need to legislate it into effect and, of course, fund and train the TSA). There will be wasted money and clamoring for earmarked funds to "protect the people" (how much DOES it cost to shut down a school and decontaminate it with chemicals from top to bottom?). Most of all, though, the refrain that only Government can handle this will be repeated almost as often as "direct contact with bodily fluids" (with no explanation of what that means), "protocol breach" (assuming there was a standardized protocol communicated to everyone who ever went into that room), and several other choice statements.

So it doesn't mean people are paranoid because they are vigilant and aware, and it doesn't mean there is zero threat simply because the Government will take advantage.

Let's propose a scenario that sounds like it's right out of a movie. Let's say that there are lower level workers who didn't make it onto a "list" who might have handled medical waste related to a patient. Someone took their gloves off wrong, or didn't bother wearing them properly to start with, or even jabbed themselves with a needle. Yeah, that last one happens and no, people do not always report it. That person goes home. Let's say they do not live in the most sanitary conditions and live with a lot of other family. Let's imply that this family does not want to get medical care when they start showing symptoms, or even more advanced stages. Let's also imply that not everyone in the household is here legally, or that maybe someone's not keen on having to be in isolation where their hourly job will no longer be paying to feed their family. How quickly does a disease spread through that kind of community? Before you roll your eyes again, take a look at the Dallas area. Really look at it. How sure are you that this is far-fetched conjecture?

Does this mean I'm quaking in my boots? Nope. It does mean, though, that I'm aware it isn't something to take lightly, and that I'm watchful of how the Government is going to spin this to their advantage.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Does this mean I'm quaking in my boots? Nope. It does mean, though, that I'm aware it isn't something to take lightly, and that I'm watchful of how the Government is going to spin this to their advantage.
    This is the morning to do it. Some 80% of This Week was all about it, and so far Meet the Press hasn't talked about anything else...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    This is the morning to do it. Some 80% of This Week was all about it, and so far Meet the Press hasn't talked about anything else...
    Most of the lasting legislation related to this is not likely to have the word "ebola" in it at all. One of the ironies of someone complaining there's not enough focus on economic threads is that the "markets are tanking at least in part due to the ebola scare." It'll be two or three spaces removed before legislation comes through to "salvage the recovery" or some GOP firebrand appears with a plan to "kickstart the real recovery" amid much head-nodding and applause... just in time for the election.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh you're so right...attempts at thought control is no infringement at all and God forbid anyone object. Just like we are supposed to stop talking about Ebola...like every libtard I know keeps saying. Nothing to see here...just move along and stop yelling fire in a theater. However I hope ChristianAnarchist is appreciative of you being butthurt on his behalf.

My goodness!! Can't we all "JUST GET ALONG" (famous quote). Really? People getting all upset because I point out the chances of getting Ebola are slim to none?? Give me a break here. When I use the word "panic" I'm not addressing you or gunny specifically. I'm addressing the lamestream media and the average Joe. I do want to point out how "mandatory" anything is anti-liberty and if that means you might find a sick person living in the home next to you then just stay away from them.

If you follow your suggestions (government intervention) to their logical conclusions you will find that eventually the use of force is required to "keep us safe". This always sound like a great idea until it's used on you. How about your kid is in school and vomits. The goons instantly quarantine him on suspicion of having "Ebola" and whisk him away to some area that you cannot access him. He's gone for 21 to 30 days and you don't know where he is or how he's doing. He may or not come back alive.

Yes, this is an extreme example but not that far fetched. Yes, I guess such measure WOULD give us a little more "safety" but then you all know about sacrificing Liberty for Safety...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

I LOVE that!! "Paranoia will destroya"...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Lindsey Graham is not scared of Ebola!

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Everyone freaking out because of the "well it's not a threat right now, but it has the potential if...", is throwing themselves a lifeline for when this thing inevitably blows over. "Well we did say it was just the potential...but thanks to our hard work sounding the alarm nothing happened."
    Said it before and I'll say it again. There will be nothing more than a handful of isolated Ebola cases here in the US. Even with Obama and the CDC being incompetent and slow to learn.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast