Thread: How to convert someone online

How to convert someone online

I'm posting this thread in response to jllundqu's comment that he found all of the bickering among the Christians funny. In all of the time I've spent (wasted?) in the RPF religion section, I've only seen one person convert from one religious view to another religious view as a result of discussion on this forum. It wasn't from someone posting a video expounding their theology or someone arguing about exactly how salvation works or whether or not Jesus' body and blood is really in the Eucharist or from someone dong their version of "cult busting" or from someone saying what they didn't like about this pope or that reformer or anything.

The forum member that was converted is YumYum. (I haven't seen him in a while and I miss him). He started off a hard core agnostic. He was quite dismissive of any belief in a personal God. What changed him? Well...believe it or not...he saw some Christians discussing the love of Christ. That impressed him. Then sometime later in life he went through a bad illness that caused him severe pain. It was so bad that he decided to pray. He prayed to Jesus and asked if Jesus would either take the pain away or let him die. The pain went away and he was converted to Christianity.

So let's review. The theological and/or historical debates didn't lead him to Christ. Christians talking about the love of Jesus led him to Christ. Hmmmm....

John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

John 13:35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.

Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Note, this isn't a call to ecumenicism. But if religious conversation is dominated by everything but the love Jesus, is it spiritual?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Then sometime later in life he went through a bad illness that caused him severe pain. It was so bad that he decided to pray. He prayed to Jesus and asked if Jesus would either take the pain away or let him die. The pain went away and he was converted to Christianity.
    This counts as an online conversion?

He started off a hard core agnostic
    Now THAT is funny...
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

The thing is about conversion is that it is up to the person and to Jesus. God's will is supreme too ya know. Another person's conversion is in no way up to you or me.
    I am convinced that some people do not have a spirit to convert.
    Last edited by Working Poor; 09-30-2014 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I am convinced that some people do not have a spirit to convert.
    Romans 9:21?
    Sola, is that you?
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    Now THAT is funny...
    Why? some agnostics hold the view that it is IMPOSSIBLE to know if God exists in this life.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

What I find ironic is that some believe in "spirit guides"--and the spiritual realm, but refuse to believe in a spiritual God and supreme authority.

My opinion is that God doesn't want anyone who doesn't want Him. He reveals His power and the spiritual world to some and not others for His own reasons. I can tell you this--many of the things I've heard, seen and experienced certainly were not the result of bad mushrooms or strong booze. They were real--more real than the realm that we live in here and now and trust me---some of you simply don't want to know in your current state of belief because it would probably frighten you to death--literally.

Without having the protection of the power of God and His heavenly angels--you do not want to dabble in the spiritual realm. I don't need to question the reality of it--I've seen it.
    Last edited by Terry1; 09-30-2014 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    What I find ironic is that some believe in "spirit guides"--and the spiritual realm, but refuse to believe in a spiritual God and supreme authority.

My opinion is that God doesn't want anyone who doesn't want Him. He reveals His power and the spiritual world to some and not others for His own reasons. I can tell you this--many of the things I've heard, seen and experienced certainly were not the result of bad mushrooms or strong booze. They were real--more real than the realm that we live in here and now and trust me---some of you simply don't want to know in your current state of belief because it would probably frighten you to death--literally.

Without having the protection of the power of God and His heavenly angels--you do not want to dabble in the spiritual realm. I don't need to question the reality of it--I've seen it.
    What are the things that you have seen, heard, or experienced that are convincing to you?
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

I'm posting this thread in response to jllundqu's comment that he found all of the bickering among the Christians funny. In all of the time I've spent (wasted?) in the RPF religion section, I've only seen one person convert from one religious view to another religious view as a result of discussion on this forum. It wasn't from someone posting a video expounding their theology or someone arguing about exactly how salvation works or whether or not Jesus' body and blood is really in the Eucharist or from someone dong their version of "cult busting" or from someone saying what they didn't like about this pope or that reformer or anything.

The forum member that was converted is YumYum. (I haven't seen him in a while and I miss him). He started off a hard core agnostic. He was quite dismissive of any belief in a personal God. What changed him? Well...believe it or not...he saw some Christians discussing the love of Christ. That impressed him. Then sometime later in life he went through a bad illness that caused him severe pain. It was so bad that he decided to pray. He prayed to Jesus and asked if Jesus would either take the pain away or let him die. The pain went away and he was converted to Christianity.

So let's review. The theological and/or historical debates didn't lead him to Christ. Christians talking about the love of Jesus led him to Christ. Hmmmm....

John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

John 13:35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.

Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Note, this isn't a call to ecumenicism. But if religious conversation is dominated by everything but the love Jesus, is it spiritual?
    Just a note, Louise was converted from Catholicism to Reformed Christianity through Sola and Nang. I'm not going to ruin Jmdrake's thread by arguing whether that was a good or bad thing, but I figured I'd point it out. So there are at least 2.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    NO ONE is converted by anyone "online". Period.

I can not "convert" you.. or convict you,, or even convince you.

I can share my testimony. I can tell you of Christ. but that is the extent of what I (or any other) can do.

The Spirit of God does the work.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    NO ONE is converted by anyone "online". Period.

I can not "convert" you.. or convict you,, or even convince you.

I can share my testimony. I can tell you of Christ. but that is the extent of what I (or any other) can do.

The Spirit of God does the work.
    I agree and I think we all agree on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    What are the things that you have seen, heard, or experienced that are convincing to you?
    God will always confirm His blessings in your life in some way--mine were confirmed with visions, dreams, an audible message and more. These are to be expected if you walk in the spirit of the Lord--they are biblical.

I could tell you about each and every experience, but it would literally take a book to do that. If anyone really wants to know God with a burning desire--they will and more than they expected. Trust me on this one--you will not be left with doubt afterwards either.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    God will always confirm His blessings in your life in some way--mine were confirmed with visions, dreams, an audible message and more. These are to be expected if you walk in the spirit of the Lord--they are biblical.

I could tell you about each and every experience, but it would literally take a book to do that. If anyone really wants to know God with a burning desire--they will and more than they expected. Trust me on this one--you will not be left with doubt afterwards either.
    Thanks for the reply. I recognize obviously everyone is different and I don't know first hand what you actually experience(d). When I believed in God I never had visions or an audible message like you, but I did have some experiences. I felt like I had a strong sense of God's calling. Or you know, something like when you're praying and you feel that distinct "pulling on your heart"? I guess that, plus having that continuous mindset where you see God's hand in things, as in, automatically attributing coincidences to God or seeing events as answers to prayer all the time. Or having that Bible verse pop into your head at just the right moment and feeling like it was God putting it there giving you the words to say to someone.

Anyway, I would very much like to believe you on that last point you made, if it weren't for my own personal experience which is directly at odds with it. After having experienced periods of serious doubt, I tried that very hard for a few years seeking to know God. Except what ended up happening was, the harder I tried, and the more I learned about the God of the Bible, the more doubtful I became. I guess you could chalk that up to Satan, or sin or something "getting in the way", or relying too much on myself, maybe, I guess? All I know is, I busted my butt for sticking with my faith, pleaded with God for help because obviously it wasn't happening on my own, and still I ended up a pretty confident atheist (or at least, atheistic towards the God as described in the Bible).
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

the best way to convert someone online is to threaten them with reading thousands of pages of Obamacare.
    Ephesians 2:8-9-

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

Interesting. I have no doubt that people may be 'converted' after reading this post or that... but have you taken into account how many people have been completely disgusted by the judging, condemnation, and prosthelytizing here, as well?

I would guess that many more people now hold a much more negative view of Jesus and God as a result, than have been so-called "converted"

I do enjoy a good theological discussion, though. Mainly because I don't rely on some 'sacred' text to memorize and spout off.

My main issues with Christianity are the differences between the Old Testament and the new... I want no part in worshipping a cruel god that wipes out cities and firstborn, etc.

In Deism, I choose to believe in God and have had many experiences where I have personally felt God's presence and touch in my life. I pray regularly. I also choose to use logic, reason, and the like (aka discernment) to know god and the natural world a little better.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

There are at least 4 who have been led to Orthodoxy in the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    hopefully more have been led to Jesus.
    Ephesians 2:8-9-

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Interesting. I have no doubt that people may be 'converted' after reading this post or that... but have you taken into account how many people have been completely disgusted by the judging, condemnation, and prosthelytizing here, as well?
    I think of it like that most of the time. Although I tend to think of conversion from a geo-political perspective more so than what it seems like is being discussed here. American evangelicalism cannot, at it's root, tolerate a civilization whose Christian traditions are entirely different from their own and conversion extends to a broader scope. I often wonder of the foreign policy positions of American Christians because of that reality when reading or listening to them discuss conversion on the smaller scale. Of course the same lack of toleration could be said to exist in a way that isn't relative to the geo-politics of it all. I don't know. Scwewy...

I would guess that many more people now hold a much more negative view of Jesus and God as a result, than have been so-called "converted"

I do enjoy a good theological discussion, though. Mainly because I don't rely on some 'sacred' text to memorize and spout off.

My main issues with Christianity are the differences between the Old Testament and the new... I want no part in worshipping a cruel god that wipes out cities and firstborn, etc.

In Deism, I choose to believe in God and have had many experiences where I have personally felt God's presence and touch in my life. I pray regularly. I also choose to use logic, reason, and the like (aka discernment) to know god and the natural world a little better.
    Interesting. So with your take on things, there is a God out there and we can have some degree of interaction with him, but it's just not the God as described in the Bible (or any particular religious text I suppose). As a deist, what are your prayers like - what types of things do you pray for? Do you feel like they are answered?

I think very rarely would someone actually become convinced to convert online, but online discussions can certainly get the ball rolling, point someone in another direction. or educate people on contextual facts.

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin007 View Post
    Much closer to Jesus, thank you.
    Last edited by RJB; 09-30-2014 at 05:32 PM.

You say that as if the two are mutually exclusive. They aren't, I promise. (this is from personal experience)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Interesting. So with your take on things, there is a God out there and we can have some degree of interaction with him, but it's just not the God as described in the Bible (or any particular religious text I suppose). As a deist, what are your prayers like - what types of things do you pray for? Do you feel like they are answered?

I think very rarely would someone actually become convinced to convert online, but online discussions can certainly get the ball rolling, point someone in another direction. or educate people on contextual facts.
    I've read the bible, and many other religious texts from varying religions. I am, at heart, a scientist. I look at and study the natural world. But there are questions science can't answer. I do not pretend to know the answers to the bigger questions. The bible is valuable tool for moral teaching, but to believe in the old/new testament, and all the hokus pokus fairytales in it, is no different than the greeks who believed in Zeus tossing down lightning from Olympus, or Thor rocking his hammer, or any other creation myth from all the civilizations of the world. I don't doubt that Jesus was a real historical figure, I doubt his divinity. He was a very enlightened man who changed the world, but I feel he was just that, a man. I don't believe he was the one and only son of god and I don't believe he was raised from the dead, etc etc.

My religious beliefs are simple. There is a god. I am not him. I stand in awe of the universe and god's creation.

In answer to your question about my prayers. I often thank god for everything I have, even my struggles in life, which are many. I rarely ask God for anything as I don't presume that God "answers" prayers... I have seen far too much suffering in the world to believe that god rewards the righteous and punishes the wicked. I have found that far too many people talk to God (prayer) and far too FEW people try to listen to god by quieting the mind and opening the soul. God is constantly trying to speak to us, but no one cares to listen. Everyone is so egotistical to think that God should listen to THEM. I think this is bass-ackwards! This is where meditation and connection with nature bring me closer to God. I shut up and listen. You should try it sometime. Go on a hike. Sit outside and sway with the trees in the wind. FEEL the presence of the creator. This inspires me to serve my fellow man and remain humble. I don't feel I need some ancient supernatural father-figure floating in the clouds shaking his finger from the past at all humans do and don't do.
    Last edited by jllundqu; 10-01-2014 at 12:07 PM.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    Just a note, Louise was converted from Catholicism to Reformed Christianity through Sola and Nang. I'm not going to ruin Jmdrake's thread by arguing whether that was a good or bad thing, but I figured I'd point it out. So there are at least 2.
    Much closer to Jesus, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    You say that as if the two are mutually exclusive. They aren't, I promise. (this is from personal experience)
    Okay. So this is funny. So far I have presented the only story of someone who went from not having a faith in Jesus to having a faith in Jesus. Everyone else's story is about someone leaving one group where they already believed in Jesus and joining another group where they believe in Jesus. Well at least so far nobody's gone from believing in Jesus to not believing in Him. I guess that counts for something.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Okay. So this is funny. So far I have presented the only story of someone who went from not having a faith in Jesus to having a faith in Jesus. Everyone else's story is about someone leaving one group where they already believed in Jesus and joining another group where they believe in Jesus. Well at least so far nobody's gone from believing in Jesus to not believing in Him. I guess that counts for something.
    I know what you're saying, but I wasn't aware that the discussion was just about unbelievers to Christians. The title said "How to convert someone online." I thought it was more along the lines of tactics. Sorry for the hijack.

I've always taken an interest in how people think and how they believe. If an atheist posts an article on how it is rational to be an atheist, I'll take the time to read. If a Buddhist posts something about the beauty of their belief, I'll read it. However a good number of religious posts are more of an attack on someone else. I think this is what turns people off the most.

Show me the beauty of your belief and I'll take an interest. I may not convert, but I will at least understand your perspective better.

I know what you're saying, but I wasn't aware that the discussion was just about unbelievers to Christians. The title said "How to convert someone online." I thought it was more along the lines of tactics. Sorry for the hijack.
    Oh no need to apologize. In fact thanks for your input! FF had first made mention of Louise leaving EO for reformed. You showed that such conversions have gone both ways. And in my OP I did say "From one religions view to another". So going from one brand of Christianity to another fits the thread.

I've always taken an interest in how people think and how they believe. If an atheist posts an article on how it is rational to be an atheist, I'll take the time to read. If a Buddhist posts something about the beauty of their belief, I'll read it. However a good number of religious posts are more of an attack on someone else. I think this is what turns people off the most.

Show me the beauty of your belief and I'll take an interest. I may not convert, but I will at least understand your perspective better.
    Yep! My thoughts exactly!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've read the bible, and many other religious texts from varying religions. I am, at heart, a scientist. I look at and study the natural world. But there are questions science can't answer. I do not pretend to know the answers to the bigger questions. The bible is valuable tool for moral teaching, but to believe in the old/new testament, and all the hokus pokus fairytales in it, is no different than the greeks who believed in Zeus tossing down lightning from Olympus, or Thor rocking his hammer, or any other creation myth from all the civilizations of the world. I don't doubt that Jesus was a real historical figure, I doubt his divinity. He was a very enlightened man who changed the world, but I feel he was just that, a man. I don't believe he was the one and only son of god and I don't believe he was raised from the dead, etc etc.
    I agree.

My religious beliefs are simple. There is a god. I am not him. I stand in awe of the universe and god's creation.
    Do you have a particular view on whether there might be more than one god/higher power?

In answer to your question about my prayers. I often thank god for everything I have, even my struggles in life, which are many. I rarely ask God for anything as I don't presume that God "answers" prayers... I have seen far too much suffering in the world to believe that god rewards the righteous and punishes the wicked. I have found that far too many people talk to God (prayer) and far too FEW people try to listen to god by quieting the mind and opening the soul. God is constantly trying to speak to us, but no one cares to listen. Everyone is so egotistical to think that God should listen to THEM. I think this is bass-ackwards! This is where meditation and connection with nature bring me closer to God. I shut up and listen. You should try it sometime. Go on a hike. Sit outside and sway with the trees in the wind. FEEL the presence of the creator. This inspires me to serve my fellow man and remain humble. I don't feel I need some ancient supernatural father-figure floating in the clouds shaking his finger from the past at all humans do and don't do.
    Beautiful! Personally I don't think that there is a god out there, but I have to agree bigtime on that point on meditation. There is a certain peace that comes when you stop listening to yourself, and start listening to something else, whether it's nature, or other people, or if it is really a god. This is what I think is a big part of the draw of many religions across the board. Taking the time to put into perspective just how tiny you are in this world and in the universe, and being in awe of the grandness and beauty of the universe. That is something that everyone can learn to appreciate and benefit from whether they are Christians or Hindus or Deists or atheists. And it makes you a better person, when you listen and when you don't see the world as revolving around yourself.
    Last edited by Crashland; 10-01-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Life, Liberty, Logic

Eagles' Wings

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    Just a quick clarification. I had left the RCC many years before even hearing of Reformed theology. Reformed believers are not all on the same page either. Praise God that He takes His sheep into His care.

I did indeed learn alot from you, erowe1, Sola and Nang. I am continuing to read Puritan writers and particularly learning of dying to self, being more aware of the effect of sin in one's life.

That said, let us pray for those like Yum Yum, who are new in the Lord. May God be glorified!
    Last edited by Eagles' Wings; 10-02-2014 at 09:49 AM.

I agree.

Do you have a particular view on whether there might be more than one god/higher power?

I feel there is one grand architect of the universe...

- Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Not always mutually exclusive, no. Of course not. But potentially...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Properly, with the sorry relics we bestrode, it was a three days' journey to Damascus. It was necessary that we should do it in less than two. It was necessary because our three pilgrims would not travel on the Sabbath day. We were all perfectly willing to keep the Sabbath day, but there are times when to keep the letter of a sacred law whose spirit is righteous, becomes a sin, and this was a case in point. We pleaded for the tired, ill-treated horses, and tried to show that their faithful service deserved kindness in return, and their hard lot compassion. But when did ever self-righteousness know the sentiment of pity? What were a few long hours added to the hardships of some over-taxed brutes when weighed against the peril of those human souls? It was not the most promising party to travel with and hope to gain a higher veneration for religion through the example of its devotees. We said the Saviour who pitied dumb beasts and taught that the ox must be rescued from the mire even on the Sabbath day, would not have counseled a forced march like this. We said the "long trip" was exhausting and therefore dangerous in the blistering heats of summer, even when the ordinary days' stages were traversed, and if we persisted in this hard march, some of us might be stricken down with the fevers of the country in consequence of it. Nothing could move the pilgrims. They must press on. Men might die, horses might die, but they must enter upon holy soil next week, with no Sabbath-breaking stain upon them. Thus they were willing to commit a sin against the spirit of religious law, in order that they might preserve the letter of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.