Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: James vs Paul (side by side chart)

James vs Paul (side by side chart)

http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org...e/JamesPau.htm

thoughts?

A Chart Comparing and Contrasting
    the Teaching of Paul and James
    Paul and James did not contradict each other; but rather they complemented each other. What both men wrote was inspired by God (2 Tim. 3:16) and true. Paul’s focus was on the unsaved man and how he might get right with God. James’ focus was on the saved person and how he might show his faith and demonstrate the reality of his faith.
    Paul’s Teaching
    James’ Teaching
    You cannot be saved by works
    (Ephesians 2:8-9)
    You cannot show that you are saved without works (James 2:14,18)
    How can a person be saved?

By faith alone (Rom. 3:28)
    How can a person show that he is saved? How can he “show his faith”?

Only by works (James 2:18)
    Faith without works saves
    (Romans 3:28)
    This is a living faith (saving faith)
    Faith without works does not save
    (James 2:14)
    This is a dead faith (James 2:17,20,26)
    Faith alone saves The faith that saves is not alone
    A person is not saved by works
    (“works” are rejected by Paul as the means of salvation: it is wrong to say that a person must do good works in order to be saved)

These are meritorious works, that is, works done to try to merit or earn salvation
    A saved person will perform good works
    (“works” are understood by James to be the result of salvation: a person does good works because he is saved)

These are faith works, that is, works that spring from a faith that is real and living.
    Paul agreed with James

He taught that good works must accompany saving faith (Eph. 2:10; Tit. 3:8; Gal. 5:6; Phil. 2:11-12).
    James agreed with Paul

He taught that a person inherits the kingdom only by faith (James 2:5) and that Abraham was justified by faith (2:23)
    Paul used the example of Abraham when he first believed in God (Rom. 4:3 and compare Genesis 15:6). James used the example of Abraham when his faith was tested by God, about 40 years later (James 2:21 and compare Genesis 22)
    The error Paul corrected:
    Salvation is by the works of the law (the error of legalism)
    The error that James corrected:
    Works are unnecessary after a person is saved (the error of antinomianism)
    Paul wrote about how a guilty sinner may be justified before God. James wrote about how a believer can show that his faith is genuine (justification or vindication before men)
    At the Jerusalem Council in Acts 15 the key issue was that salvation is by grace through faith and not by the works of the law. See the error in Acts 15:1 and Peter’s conclusion in Acts 15:9,11. James, who took a lead role in this discussion never voiced any disagreement with Peter or Paul over this crucial matter.
    Paul’s perspective: He was viewing the guilty sinner who needed to be right with God. (The sinner is in view) James’ perspective: He was viewing the believer (or professing believer) who needed to demonstrate that his faith was real. (The believer is in view)

scroll down on that link for detailed comments.

Ephesians 2:8-9-

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm really glad that we've all been having these religious debates recently, because it caused me to do more research.... and my views on a few different things have been strengthened and clarified.

Here is a really good excerpt on the Paul / James paradox. Bold added by me.

We read in James 2:21, "Was not Abraham, our father, justified by works when he offered Isaac, his son, on the altar?"

In what sense was he justified since he was already pronounced right before God years prior to this? [Genesis 15:6] James is saying, in contrast to Paul, that God was able to see that Abraham was righteous already, but until Abraham lifted his knife over Isaac in obedience, only God knew his righteousness. One event occurred before God who alone knows our hearts, and the other is before man who can only perceive the outward actions. In other words, our faith is invisible and can only be expressed outwardly by our works. This is the point that James is trying to emphasize, we show our faith by our deeds to our fellow man.

Our works justify the believer in the demonstrative sense, not in the procurative sense, meaning good works are not the grounds for our legal justification before God. They justify us before the eyes of man, demonstrating what is alive on the inside. When James says faith without works is dead, he is warning against a "words only" intellectual ascent to faith. James is not speaking about the theological aspect of justification before God, but the practical aspect before man. God alone looks at the heart but by works man is justified before other men, who can only look at the outward appearance.

http://www.letusreason.org/occ1.htm

To GOD, we are justified by faith, because God knows our hearts.

To PEOPLE (and for some, to themselves) we are justified by works, because another man has no idea what is in our heart, they can only see our actions.

The bible does not contradict itself, so people have to be careful not to throw out tons of other scriptures in order to accept one that appears to say something different. I've debated a lot of atheists over the years, and one of the things they do is have a "first glance" mindset. For example, God ordering the Israelites to wipe out entire groups of people.... they see a passage like that and immediately assume the worst, without digging deeper. We need to dig deeper sometimes. The bible does not contradict itself, and it should be looked at as a whole.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

If they existed, neither one of them were named Paul or James. That is English revisionist history.

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    I'm really glad that we've all been having these religious debates recently, because it caused me to do more research.... and my views on a few different things have been strengthened and clarified.

Here is a really good excerpt on the Paul / James paradox. Bold added by me.
    We read in James 2:21, "Was not Abraham, our father, justified by works when he offered Isaac, his son, on the altar?"

In what sense was he justified since he was already pronounced right before God years prior to this? [Genesis 15:6] James is saying, in contrast to Paul, that God was able to see that Abraham was righteous already, but until Abraham lifted his knife over Isaac in obedience, only God knew his righteousness. One event occurred before God who alone knows our hearts, and the other is before man who can only perceive the outward actions. In other words, our faith is invisible and can only be expressed outwardly by our works. This is the point that James is trying to emphasize, we show our faith by our deeds to our fellow man.

Our works justify the believer in the demonstrative sense, not in the procurative sense, meaning good works are not the grounds for our legal justification before God. They justify us before the eyes of man, demonstrating what is alive on the inside. When James says faith without works is dead, he is warning against a "words only" intellectual ascent to faith. James is not speaking about the theological aspect of justification before God, but the practical aspect before man. God alone looks at the heart but by works man is justified before other men, who can only look at the outward appearance.

http://www.letusreason.org/occ1.htm

To GOD, we are justified by faith, because God knows our hearts.

To PEOPLE (and for some, to themselves) we are justified by works, because another man has no idea what is in our heart, they can only see our actions.

The bible does not contradict itself, so people have to be careful not to throw out tons of other scriptures in order to accept one that appears to say something different. I've debated a lot of atheists over the years, and one of the things they do is have a "first glance" mindset. For example, God ordering the Israelites to wipe out entire groups of people.... they see a passage like that and immediately assume the worst, without digging deeper. We need to dig deeper sometimes. The bible does not contradict itself, and it should be looked at as a whole.
    hey Lily, did you discover this website through me? It's great, eh?

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

I notice that in the chart the bible verses can't stand alone without some legalistic gymnastics and explanations.

Instead follow the saviors simple words:

Luke 18:9-14

10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

John 13:35
    By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.
    Ironically, some of the biggest fools live this Wisdom, while this escapes some of the great theological minds.

I have always put more weight on the red words in the Bible than anything else. Yes, Paul's words are divinely inspired. But I'll take Jesus' words over Paul's any day of the week!

And the bottom line from that is I have FELT God is love, Jesus came to show us love, and this world would be a better place if our hearts poured out in love.

Debate can be divisive, a stumbling block. I too have succumbed to it. Just know that God doesn't need us to ARGUE on His behalf. I am convinced He wants us to only witness in love. If we can't, then we need to do some relationship building with Him before we move on to others.
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin007 View Post

thoughts?

Paul and James did not contradict each other; but rather they complemented each other. What both men wrote was inspired by God (2 Tim. 3:16) and true. Paul’s focus was on the unsaved man and how he might get right with God. James’ focus was on the saved person and how he might show his faith and demonstrate the reality of his faith.
    Paul’s Teaching
    James’ Teaching

(“works” are rejected by Paul as the means of salvation: it is wrong to say that a person must do good works in order to be saved)

These are meritorious works, that is, works done to try to merit or earn salvation
    (“works” are understood by James to be the result of salvation: a person does good works because he is saved)

These are faith works, that is, works that spring from a faith that is real and living.
    Paul agreed with James

He taught that good works must accompany saving faith (Eph. 2:10; Tit. 3:8; Gal. 5:6; Phil. 2:11-12).
    James agreed with Paul

He taught that a person inherits the kingdom only by faith (James 2:5) and that Abraham was justified by faith (2:23)
    Paul used the example of Abraham when he first believed in God (Rom. 4:3 and compare Genesis 15:6). James used the example of Abraham when his faith was tested by God, about 40 years later (James 2:21 and compare Genesis 22)
    Paul wrote about how a guilty sinner may be justified before God. James wrote about how a believer can show that his faith is genuine (justification or vindication before men)
    At the Jerusalem Council in Acts 15 the key issue was that salvation is by grace through faith and not by the works of the law. See the error in Acts 15:1 and Peter’s conclusion in Acts 15:9,11. James, who took a lead role in this discussion never voiced any disagreement with Peter or Paul over this crucial matter.
    Paul’s perspective: He was viewing the guilty sinner who needed to be right with God. (The sinner is in view) James’ perspective: He was viewing the believer (or professing believer) who needed to demonstrate that his faith was real. (The believer is in view)

Yes Kevin--I have thoughts--LOL They are not in contrast to one another they are in direct reconciliation of one another because Paul is talking about dead works under the curse of the OT Covenant Mosaic Law to the Jews and James is talking about "works of faith" under the New Covenant of Grace through faith. They are both saying the very same thing--you just can't see it.

I've have tried and probably wrote a book in here already attempting to explain the difference to you who believe in the perseverance of the saints doctrines that denies that there are differences between these two major covenants and laws and works associated with them. May blind eyes be opened Lord.
    Last edited by Terry1; 09-30-2014 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    I have always put more weight on the red words in the Bible than anything else. Yes, Paul's words are divinely inspired. But I'll take Jesus' words over Paul's any day of the week!.
    To me, Paul re-iterates Christ's words. James 2 is written about the love of God that we must show. St Paul is the same way.

I've misjudge Ronin Truth. He posts about Christ's love alone without faith. On the other hand there are people who read James and Paul and only see faith alone without mentioning love. Who is following in the Lord's footsteps?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I notice that in the chart the bible verses can't stand alone without some legalistic gymnastics and explanations.

Instead follow the saviors simple words:

Ironically, some of the biggest fools live this Wisdom, while this escapes some of the great theological minds.
    Your post looks to me like an abbreviation of exactly what the OP says.

If this is really what you believe, that's encouraging.

"Christianity is the religion founded by Paul, which replaces Jesus' Gospel with a Gospel 'about Jesus' - a religion that should rather be called Paulinism." -- Dr. Wilhelm Nestle, Church Historian

If it's all the same with you, I think that I'd just much rather stick with Jesus.

Actually, even if it's not the same with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    "Christianity is the religion founded by Paul, which replaces Jesus' Gospel with a Gospel 'about Jesus' - a religion that should rather be called Paulinism." -- Dr. Wilhelm Nestle, Church Historian

If it's all the same with you, I think that I'd just much rather stick with Jesus.

Actually, even if it's not the same with you.

Who is Jesus?

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Who is Jesus?
    Jesus Is an Anarchist (pdf)

Jesus is the King of Kings.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

From my perusal of that article, it looks like everything the author says about Jesus is based on books contained in the Bible that are written about Jesus by other people, like Paul. Can't we just use one of the books that Jesus himself wrote, and cut out the middle man?

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Jesus is the King of Kings.
    Interestingly, that is also what they called the first ruler of the Persian Empire.

Son of a gun, what are the odds?

Interestingly, that is also what they called the first ruler of the Persian Empire.

Son of a gun, what are the odds?
    I'm not familiar with that label for the first ruler of the Persian Empire, but the odds aren't very low, since before the Persian Empire had arisen, the prophet Daniel, who served as a high official under Cyrus the Persian king, had already applied similar titles to both God and Nebuchadnezzar, the king of Babylon. So this would be in the background behind both the Persian usage and the early Christian usage.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    From my perusal of that article, it looks like everything the author says about Jesus is based on books contained in the Bible that are written about Jesus by other people, like Paul. Can't we just use one of the books that Jesus himself wrote, and cut out the middle man?
    People like Paul? Lordy, how many ROMANS were involved in all of this, early on?

The Libertarian From Nazareth?

People like Paul?
    Don't blame me, you're the one who presented us with that article.

But then, if the Jesus you want to go with is not the Jesus of the Bible, like the article that you posted does, then what Jesus is it?

Don't blame me, you're the one who presented us with that article.

But then, if the Jesus you want to go with is not the Jesus of the Bible, like the article that you posted does, then what Jesus is it?
    No blame, you are forgiven. Did you like the article?

Jesus Christ, Libertarian

Well, you see, this Archangel, it was probably Uriel, I didn't ask, came down to me in my sleep one night .................

I'm not familiar with that label for the first ruler of the Persian Empire, but the odds aren't very low, since before the Persian Empire had arisen, the prophet Daniel, who served as a high official under Cyrus the Persian king, had already applied similar titles to both God and Nebuchadnezzar, the king of Babylon. So this would be in the background behind both the Persian usage and the early Christian usage.
    Really, are you sure that you want to do that?

INCOMING: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...62.rTJnlD_JIUk

Who is Jesus?
    Well according to Colton Burpo and Akiane Kramarik, this is a pretty close current likeness of Jesus.

http://graceology.org/receive-jesus-christ/

"Shahanshah" is a Persian word that means King of Kings and was used as a title for the King/Emperor of Persia under the Archaemenid empire and afterwards. But any true prophet of God would not associate a worldly king with God. Whatever story you are quoting is surely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    "Shahanshah" is a Persian word that means King of Kings and was used as a title for the King/Emperor of Persia under the Archaemenid empire and afterwards. But any true prophet of God would not associate a worldly king with God. Whatever story you are quoting is surely wrong.

Thanks for your confirming help. +rep

Paul is saying we are JUSTIFIED through faith (with God)
    James is saying we are JUSTIFIED by works BEFORE MAN.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My thoughts? I think this part of the chart could be worded better.

Paul:

James:

That makes it look like Paul and James are contradicting each other, when that is clearly not the author's intent nor yours.

Instead:

Faith saves without works

In other words while it's not the works that save, if your faith does not produce works then it's not really faith.

The key to all this is Hebrews 11:6

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

It's not enough to believe that God exists. You have to also believe that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him? What is the evidence that you believe He rewards those who earnestly seek Him? Why earnestly seeking Him of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin007 View Post

thoughts?

Paul’s Teaching
    James’ Teaching

Paul agreed with James

James agreed with Paul

9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    My thoughts? I think this part of the chart could be worded better.

Paul:

James:

That makes it look like Paul and James are contradicting each other, when that is clearly not the author's intent nor yours.

Instead:

Faith saves without works

In other words while it's not the works that save, if your faith does not produce works then it's not really faith.

The key to all this is Hebrews 11:6

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

It's not enough to believe that God exists. You have to also believe that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him? What is the evidence that you believe He rewards those who earnestly seek Him? Why earnestly seeking Him of course.
    I sure hope that you aren't messing with the unalterable HOLY WORD OF GOD, without a signed and notarized permit from the holy ghost.

Sure, I'm more than willing to cut out Paul, the ROMAN middle man.

"All the good in Christianity can be traced to Jesus, all the bad to Paul." - Franz Overbeck, Protestant Theologian

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    But any true prophet of God would not associate a worldly king with God.
    The phrase "associate with" covers a lot of things. Why would no true prophet do that?
    Last edited by erowe1; 09-30-2014 at 04:36 PM.

Sure, I'm more than willing to cut out Paul, the ROMAN middle man.
    How? Where's the book that Jesus wrote?

I sure hope that you aren't messing with the unalterable HOLY WORD OF GOD, without a signed and notarized permit from the holy ghost.
    I wasn't messing with the word of God. I was messing with the chart someone made interpreting the word of God. Why would that be a problem?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast