Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Gay Baker, Cries At Values Voter Summit Over Business Closing

Anti-Gay Baker, Cries At Values Voter Summit Over Business Closing

Anti-gay baker Melissa Klein openly cried at the Values Voter Summit last week over the forced closing of her business due to backlash stemming from her refusal to make a cake for a lesbian couple's wedding.

In January 2013, Sweet Cakes By Melissa refused service to a lesbian couple looking for a wedding cake. The subsequent fallout included national media attention and a state investigation for anti-gay discrimination -- perpetuated by the Kleins' continued actions, such as baking cakes for an "ex-gay" group.

The couple is now reportedly fighting a $150,000 lawsuit from the state, a reality that made Klein break into tears while discussing her passion for the process of baking wedding cakes during the Values Voter Summit.

Following outrage over the business's anti-gay actions, Sweet Cakes By Melissa eventually had to shut down.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5901036.html
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So basically she has been deemed a slave of the state to dance when they say dance. Ridiculous.

backlash stemming from her refusal to make a cake for a lesbian couple's wedding.
    The couple is now reportedly fighting a $150,000 lawsuit from the state,
    So the supposed "backlash" isn't from customers the way I read it...........

Government shouldn't discriminate. If everyone is protected from private businesses discriminating except for a specific class of people, that is wrong. You can either allow discrimination against everyone or no one. If you allow discrimination only against specific groups of people, that's de facto government discrimination.

On a personal level, I'm sure she had no problem serving gluttons, liars, thieves, the greedy, cheats, abusers, idol worshipers, adulterers or prostitutes. Granted, people don't wear badges that proclaim they're any of the above, but due to the fact that it's pretty difficult to hide that you're ordering a cake for a wedding between two people of the same sex, it's probably easier for them to make that sort of moral judgment. However, human nature dictates that most people you'll come across will most likely be a sinner if you go by biblical law. Is homosexuality just held to such a negative degree by some Christians that it eclipses all other possible sins? If you're going to refuse homosexuals because you don't want to serve sinners, how do you live with yourself knowing you could be baking a cake for a rapist? A child abuser? Or even an atheist?!

People can debate that government shouldn't tell people how to run their business, and that's fine. What's not okay is saying government should discriminate against certain groups. A bakery run by homosexuals who refuse to serve Christians or heterosexuals because of their religious beliefs/heterosexuality would be held to the same laws. As such, while I can empathize with the woman (losing your business and getting such a hefty fine is life-ruining), she was well aware of the law and I cannot, in good conscience, advocate for government discriminating against specific groups. There are better things I can do with my time than lament a bigot.

What I find interesting is a lot of these people want government to protect them from discrimination based on religion, so they're obviously not advocating for the rights of private business owners to discriminate against anyone for any reason. They're part of the problem. They want to use government as a means to discriminate against specific people. I will never accept that. Once again, either you can discriminate against any group of people, or no one at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Antischism View Post
    On a personal level, I'm sure she had no problem serving gluttons, liars, thieves, the greedy, cheats, abusers, idol worshipers, adulterers or prostitutes.
    She also probably didn't have a problem serving homosexuals. But the idol worshipers weren't asking for a "hail Baal" cake and the adulterers weren't asking for a swinger party cake. Here the homosexuals were asking for a cake that specifically supported something she was politically and religiously against. You might still consider her a bigot, but she was not discriminating based on class.

Is homosexuality just held to such a negative degree by some Christians that it eclipses all other possible sins? If you're going to refuse homosexuals because you don't want to serve sinners, how do you live with yourself knowing you could be baking a cake for a rapist? A child abuser? Or even an atheist?!
    See above argument. This is stupid. It's hard for me to imagine you can't see the difference between selling a generic product to all classes of people and selling a specific product customized to celebrate specific human behavior.

Many businesses discriminate against smokers, drunks, barefoot people, shirtless people, loud/disruptive people, smelly people, those that "look homeless," children, and so on. Guess what? Excellent! Yeah there's a difference as indicated in the above post, but it should not matter. She should be able to decline any and all business she wants (before entering into any contract of course), with the knowledge that she might go out of business if she's too picky or offends the wrong people. That should be the way of it, not because she offended government.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

As a business owner, she should be able to decide who she wants to serve. It's not government's or anyone else's business.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    She also probably didn't have a problem serving homosexuals. But the idol worshipers weren't asking for a "hail Baal" cake and the adulterers weren't asking for a swinger party cake. Here the homosexuals were asking for a cake that specifically supported something she was politically and religiously against. You might still consider her a bigot, but she was not discriminating based on class.

See above argument. This is stupid. It's hard for me to imagine you can't see the difference between selling a generic product to all classes of people and selling a specific product customized to celebrate specific human behavior.
    Believe it.
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by aGameOfThrones View Post
    This is truly sad, I must say. While I do not share Klein's apparently principled position on the ***** wedding deal, I fully support her right as a free and sovereign Individual to refuse service to anyone, at any time, for any reason, including no reason whatsoever.

While I fully support one's personal choices, I do not support the actions of the ***** "community" that drove this poor woman out of business. This is the sort of thing that stands to precipitate wild backlash one day, if perchance the Rule of Law ever decides to take a vacation from this land. I am appalled at those ideas to which the greater body of the ***** population welds itself, most of which come right out of the progressive playbook. I am disgusted at ***** hypocrisy. For a group of people to adopt the progressive world-view, especially in the wake and face of all their whining about how abused and violated they are, is beneath contempt and reprehensible beyond mental grasp. If nothing else, they should be smart enough to recognize the practical potential for the grave harms they stand to face one day because people tend not to forget this kind of thing, which angers them precisely because of the injustice of such vicious and petty acts.

One would think that such people would be particularly cognizant and respectful of a differing point of view. But no. The militant ***** expects the world to kowtow to him in praise of the way of gay. I have to admit that this disgusts me endlessly and I will predict that if the day comes where the general social environment no longer affords the illusions of ready protection for the rights of the homosexual, that there will be consequences most bitter in a great plurality of mortal payback. If that day comes, I will find some small difficulties with dredging up an overflow of sympathy.

Once you have made your bed, I bid thee lie in it.
    Last edited by osan; 09-30-2014 at 06:29 AM.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

shoulda "no quoted" it...
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Government shouldn't discriminate. If everyone is protected from private businesses discriminating except for a specific class of people, that is wrong. You can either allow discrimination against everyone or no one. If you allow discrimination only against specific groups of people, that's de facto government discrimination.

On a personal level, I'm sure she had no problem serving gluttons, liars, thieves, the greedy, cheats, abusers, idol worshipers, adulterers or prostitutes. Granted, people don't wear badges that proclaim they're any of the above, but due to the fact that it's pretty difficult to hide that you're ordering a cake for a wedding between two people of the same sex, it's probably easier for them to make that sort of moral judgment. However, human nature dictates that most people you'll come across will most likely be a sinner if you go by biblical law. Is homosexuality just held to such a negative degree by some Christians that it eclipses all other possible sins? If you're going to refuse homosexuals because you don't want to serve sinners, how do you live with yourself knowing you could be baking a cake for a rapist? A child abuser? Or even an atheist?!

People can debate that government shouldn't tell people how to run their business, and that's fine. What's not okay is saying government should discriminate against certain groups. A bakery run by homosexuals who refuse to serve Christians or heterosexuals because of their religious beliefs/heterosexuality would be held to the same laws. As such, while I can empathize with the woman (losing your business and getting such a hefty fine is life-ruining), she was well aware of the law and I cannot, in good conscience, advocate for government discriminating against specific groups. There are better things I can do with my time than lament a bigot.

What I find interesting is a lot of these people want government to protect them from discrimination based on religion, so they're obviously not advocating for the rights of private business owners to discriminate against anyone for any reason. They're part of the problem. They want to use government as a means to discriminate against specific people. I will never accept that. Once again, either you can discriminate against any group of people, or no one at all.
    Aggressive violence is wrong.

More aggressive violence is more wrong.

For government to prevent any discrimination is morally wrong. For them to prevent even more discrimination is even more wrong.

And that goes for Christians, atheists, gays, straights, or anyone else. Doesn't matter.

That's the same one that equates the "sanctity" of marriage with Dog Breeding.

Boo Hoo man,, Boo Hoo. I have no sympathy for,, nor interest to hear from this idiot.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

She IS a bigot, but people have every right to be bigots at their private businesses. The government's response here is terrifying!
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

What's wrong with being a bigot?

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    What's wrong with being a bigot?
    According to the bible, nothing, so you're all set.

I let go of the law,
    I let go of economics,
    I let go of religion,

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    She IS a bigot, but people have every right to be bigots at their private businesses. The government's response here is terrifying!
    I'm pretty sure it's the height of bigotry to get the state to bend someone to your will if they disagree with you.

It's really not terribly bigoted just to not engage in an activity with which you disagree.

I'm pretty sure it's the height of bigotry to get the state to bend someone to your will if they disagree with you.
    Agreed. No one looks good here, but only the government is violating anyone's rights.

I let go of the law,
    I let go of economics,
    I let go of religion,

Christians need to become radicalized against the state. If these types of property rights and religious liberty infringements can help achieve that, that's a good thing. Hopefully this story doesn't die out. The people marginalizing the victim in this case have been taken in by politically correct bull$#@!.

I wish she would have gone out of business without government intervention.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I wish she would have gone out of business without government intervention.
    Pretty unlikely....

Government is necessary to push political correctness, it's not human nature.

Seems to me, this is much like the forced handicapped parking. It should be the option of the store owner if they want to provide special parking for handicapped people. The state shouldn't be forcing store owners to do anything.

Great point. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before some "satanists" try to pull that stunt.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Good point. Part of what makes this a somewhat different case is that this is a custom job, with a custom product that an owner might find objectionable for any number of reasons. Of course the Marxists (in media and government) are in the business of deciding who is protected and who is to be demonized, so these decisions are no longer in the hands of the people doing the actual work.

Yep.

On a personal level, I'm sure she had no problem serving gluttons, liars, thieves, the greedy, cheats, abusers, idol worshipers, adulterers or prostitutes. Granted, people don't wear badges that proclaim they're any of the above, but due to the fact that it's pretty difficult to hide that you're ordering a cake for a wedding between two people of the same sex, it's probably easier for them to make that sort of moral judgment.
    In addition to ordering a custom product that the contractor or artist might not want to produce, this specific business usually involves delivery and set-up at an event. That is also problematic. There are probably quite a number of examples of combinations of cakes and events that a baker might not want to be involved in catering.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

But she was. She refused to bake them a cake based on their homosexuality. She was refusing to provide an advertised service to a couple because they're lesbians. You can't exactly customize a cake for a wedding in most cases without knowing if it's for a homosexual or heterosexual couple. That's the nature of it. Of course you can say she wouldn't turn them away if it was a generic cake, just as she wouldn't turn away any other potential 'sinner' since she would have no way of knowing unless they outright stated it. I understand what you're trying to say, but no matter how you look at it, she's still discriminating based on class, which is something that should have no middle ground. Government would ideally be out of it, but if that isn't the case, they can't pick and choose which classes of people businesses are allowed to discriminate against. She wants her religion to be protected but has no problem with government allowing discrimination against homosexuals. That's wrong.

Her business went under due to the negative backlash she experienced by allowing her religious views to dictate who she wanted to serve/not serve (and aligning with 'gay conversion therapists,' but that's another story). If we had a true free market system, that would also be the end result. This is what's great about the free market system; if you espouse bigoted views and discriminate, your business will most likely fail. As for the fine, I agree, that's unfortunate. They're willing to waive the fee if she decides to serve everyone regardless of class, however. She has also been running her business from home now, no?

What I want is consistency. I'm not going to side with someone who would use government for their own ends just to deny people they don't like. I have more in common with people who want government to protect all classes even if it means private business owners don't get to be bigots, than people who would use government to protect their own class and at the same time deny others.

It's funny, this catering business. I would never advise a Christian to get involved in baking wedding cakes if they know there's a chance they're going to get a request from a homosexual couple and can't in their own conscience, bake it for them. I'd also like to add that from my own personal interpretation and having studied religion vigorously growing up, I don't understand how it would conflict with biblical teachings. Of course, that is up to the individual to decide, but I just can't see how Jesus would be okay with discrimination, even against sinners.
    Last edited by Antischism; 09-30-2014 at 02:09 PM.

But she was. She refused to bake them a cake based on their homosexuality.
    but I just can't see how Jesus would be okay with discrimination, even against sinners.
    I read the first couple of sentences and then I skipped to the last sentence and I couldn't imagine that anything in between was worth reading let alone worth a response. Time is too precious.

Of course Oregon sued her, these states leap onto anyone they can to try and excise more flesh on top of what they already take because they

They aren't satisfied with her property and income taxes on top of whatever fees they excise from her for business licenses and tickets, they now have an excuse to take thousands from her because she refused to serve two customers.

The State is the real villain, as always.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    Of course Oregon sued her, these states leap onto anyone they can to try and excise more flesh on top of what they already take because they

They aren't satisfied with her property and income taxes on top of whatever fees they excise from her for business licenses and tickets, they now have an excuse to take thousands from her because she refused to serve two customers.

The State is the real villain, as always.
    Beware the cult of "government"...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt150 View Post
    Christians need to become radicalized against the state. If these types of property rights and religious liberty infringements can help achieve that, that's a good thing. Hopefully this story doesn't die out. The people marginalizing the victim in this case have been taken in by politically correct bull$#@!.
    This is such an awesome quote. So true. Thankfully, Ron Paul and later LRC posters helped me become radicalized against the State, as I always should have been.

I read the first couple of sentences and then I skipped to the last sentence and I couldn't imagine that anything in between was worth reading let alone worth a response. Time is too precious.
    Don't bother to engage in discussion next time, then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast