Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Westboro Baptist Church Strikes Back!

Westboro Baptist Church Strikes Back!

A few weeks ago a populate facebook entity known as 'God' put together an Indiegogo campaign to fund putting a "God Loves Gays" billboard in Westboro Baptist Church's hometown of Topeka to counter what they perceive as "hate speech". Incidentally also my hometown.

They were successful. I drive by it pretty much every day picking my kid from school. They tried to do it in Utah as well but were denied.

[link to huff post god loves gays billboard article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5793378.html ]

Westboro responded today by unveiling not one, but four billboards with bible messages. They read:

"Why Did God Destroy Sodom?"
    "Remember Lot's Wife"
    "Repent or Perish"
    "Homosexuality Is Sin"

[note: I can't upload pics from here, if anyone can get them posted on this thread would be appreciated. On twitter @WBCPhotos has a nice collage of all four.]

According to WBC's twitter account they tried to get "God Hates Gays" but Lamar wouldn't allow it. Which seems kind of discriminatory to me but not surprising.

For those of you who know little about them they essentially see themselves as doing God's duty by warning us of the coming destruction in the vein of Jonah. They constantly reference homosexuality because by their interpretation it is the proliferation, enabling, and condoning of homosexuality and gay marriage by a nation as the proverbial final fig leaf of the corruption of a nation before God destoys it.

So the fact that "gay pride" has swept this nation with the military even for the last couple years having gay pride marches and pastors marrying gay couples, means to them that the corruption of this nation has reached the boiling point. Likely by the end of next year the supreme court will overturn all state level gay marriage bans, as I think like half have already been overturned in lower courts. And as they say "God has never-and never will-tolerate gay marriage". This is why you see their signs saying things like "Destruction is imminent", "The Lord is coming", etc. They believe that USA, spearhead of gay marriage, is the initial primary target of God's wrath at the opening of the sixth seal.

I've been a reader of them for years. There Sunday sermons they post are pretty good reads imo. Some of them even uplifting. Though the knee-jerk reaction to there flagship sign "God Hates ****" is pretty powerful and that's all most people need to write them off and call them names.
    Last edited by wizardwatson; 09-29-2014 at 03:24 PM.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Westboro Baptists are flat out nut jobs making the entire body of Christ look like the haters they are to unbelievers.

God does love gay people--whether anyone wants to believe that or not. He didn't sacrifice Himself on the cross for the righteous--but out of His love the lost and to bring them to Him. How did God tell us to do this? He told us to love them as we love God and ourselves. Love is the only witness that will win souls to Christ. These are the two greatest commandments in His word on which He told us--"hang all of the law--and the prophets". Meaning--absolutely nothing supercedes these two commandments in the Bible.

You are commanded to love them--you weren't asked. That does not include someones warped version of love by persecuting them either--it means you treat them as you would God and yourself. You do this by sowing seeds of love and kindness and sharing the love of God with them and telling them how God wants them to live and why.
    Last edited by Terry1; 09-29-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Here is text from their press release about these billboards and about the bias that Lamar communications had concerning "God Loves Gays" vs "God Hates Gays".

American philosopher William James said: “There’s nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough, people will believe it.” And he’s right. Satan has successfully introduced lies against God in the minds of men that are so big, so brash, so wildly without the merit of reason, and have become embraced, in this modern zeitgeist of rampant sin and corruption, as absolute truth. ‘God Loves Gays’ is one of those satanic lies that WBC will doggedly counter from the Bible, as shown in this WBC Video News: http://bit.ly/1mEm15L.

Lamar communications director Allie McAlpin said “we support the First Amendment right of advertisers and believe that it is in the best interest of our company and the communities we serve to accept advertising copy openly. We do not accept or reject copy based upon agreement or disagreement with the views presented. We are firmly committed to our copy acceptance policy." Lamar allowed the ‘Facebook god’ to put up a soul- damning lie about God’s love, but when WBC wanted to pay for a Bible-based billboard saying “God Hates Gays,” they hypocritically refused.

Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post
    Here is text from their press release about these billboards and about the bias that Lamar communications had concerning "God Loves Gays" vs "God Hates Gays".
    Well--whether or not it was meant in the same frame of reference as the author of the sign or not--still--it's not a lie. God does love gays and wants them to understand how He wills for them to live, love and become a child of God just the same as He does any other lost sinner.

There's something biblically called a "perfect hatred" that God has for those things that directly go against His will. Only God can Hate something with a perfect hatred that includes His powerful love for them all at the same time. We're not humanly capable of doing this the same way God can and hate is only justified in the hands of God and never mankind because God is the ultimate judge of anyone eternal soul. And this is why the only thing we're called to do here on earth is to sow seeds and be witnesses for Christ in the way He told us to do that. That is by loving them the same way we love God and ourselves. Because Jesus said--whatsoever you do unto the least of these, you also do unto me"--whether good or evil--whatever we do to others is what we're also doing to God Himself.

We are not supposed to be the persecutors--we're supposed to be ministers of light and all that's good and do it with love and kindness to everyone.

Here is an interesting question. Why does Lamar seem to have a monopoly on billboard advertising? Or do they? What would it take Westboro Baptist to build their own buildboard on the side of the highway as opposed to renting one from Lamar? I don't like WBC's message, but I'm curious as to how really "free market" Billboard advertising is?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Here is an interesting question. Why does Lamar seem to have a monopoly on billboard advertising? Or do they? What would it take Westboro Baptist to build their own buildboard on the side of the highway as opposed to renting one from Lamar? I don't like WBC's message, but I'm curious as to how really "free market" Billboard advertising is?
    I would think that somehow a "God hates gays" sign violates the hate crime laws and that's why they don't have the same liberty to put up their sign as well. When free speech violates the law--the law always wins on the side of the violation it would seem. I'm just assuming is all--I don't know why it's actually not legal to put up sign that says anyone "hates" anything or anyone. Seems it could be debatable on a legal level. If the "hate" sign is specifically targeting a group of people--I can see why it wouldn't be allowed.
    Last edited by Terry1; 09-29-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Yep, can't have free speech now can we?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Yep, can't have free speech now can we?
    Can you imagine the highways littered with signs saying what and who people and God, Allah, satan, Buddha, Yoda or Captn Kirk hate according to their own beliefs? LOL Maybe it is legal--I don't know. I just can't imagine something like that though.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Though the knee-jerk reaction to there flagship sign "God Hates ****" is pretty powerful and that's all most people need to write them off and call them names.
    If there's a God, they may be partly right about the direction of society and a lot of things but they are still going to hell for that.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    Can you imagine the highways littered with signs saying what and who people and God, Allah, satan, Buddha, Yoda or Captn Kirk hate according to their own beliefs? LOL Maybe it is legal--I don't know. I just can't imagine something like that though.
    I dunno, would it be much different than all of the other billboards, telling us which razorblades, soda pops, etc. are best? I believe in freedom of speech.

So did the city deny them or did Lamar decline or did Lamar decline because the city denied?

As for Westboro Baptist, I detest the way they handle things. This is the second time I have seen someone on the forum act as though it is due to knee-jerk reaction that people dislike them. I dislike Calvinism and hyper Calvinism just exacerbates what I already dislike about the methods of Calvinism. How they present themselves is enough to warrant being seen as revolting but it is likely more people look into what drives them out of curiosity for what drives such ugliness and still finds them repulsive. I think it takes a unique method of rationalizing to overlook the ugliness and find them as being plugged into the Love and knowledge of the Creator.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Jesus died for the gay person as much as me or you. He died for ALL sinners. Any one sin- large or small separates us from a Holy God- but thank God for Jesus who died for us and our sins. Our sins were cast upon Him. Praise God. Thank you Jesus.
    Ephesians 2:8-9-

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

the WBC is a damnable cult and a sad excuse for any Church, let alone a "Baptist" church.
    Ephesians 2:8-9-

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

Well, ho hum and a bottle of rum.

What do you guys think about Eminem's music wherein he uses the word "***" ad infinitum, talks about doing every conceivable drug, raping his mother, killing his daughters mother, doing every conceivable crime, and gets rich doing it?

Typical American Response: Well, you know when you get past the lyrics there's really an underlying message of the trials that face our youth today. He raps about violence and drugs because that's really an viable way to get the attention of young people who may need a role-model that understands what they are going through. There are some songs on his albums that are just for fun for sure, but some of them address poverty and injustice and people identify with that. Sure he uses the word "***" but that's just the jargon of his generation really and it isn't aimed in any literal sense at gays, I mean come on, he got on stage with Elton John. I mean whatever you want to say, ultimately it's freedom of speech. And getting rich isn't a crime. If people don't like his music they don't have to buy it.
    What do you guys think about this church who uses "God hates ****" to get everyone's attention and claims to be preaching the truth about these last times and about Christs message?

Ron Paul Forums response:

The Westboro Baptists are flat out nut jobs making the entire body of Christ look like the haters they are to unbelievers.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    If there's a God, they may be partly right about the direction of society and a lot of things but they are still going to hell for that.

Quote Originally Posted by moostraks View Post
    How they present themselves is enough to warrant being seen as revolting but it is likely more people look into what drives them out of curiosity for what drives such ugliness and still finds them repulsive. I think it takes a unique method of rationalizing to overlook the ugliness and find them as being plugged into the Love and knowledge of the Creator.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin007 View Post
    the WBC is a damnable cult and a sad excuse for any Church, let alone a "Baptist" church.

Is calling a church a "cult" any different than calling a homosexual a "***", Kevin007? I suppose "***" just is less politically correct than "cult".

But I get it. Eminem is popular and WBC is infamous. Eminem gets the benefit of the doubt with all the worldly folks and WBC does not.

Faulting everything Westboro preaches because they use an off-color word to jar Americans from their catatonic slumber and pay attention is to me the same as when the Pharisees faulted Christ for not washing his hands.

Luke 11:37-39 And as he spake, a certain Pharisee besought him to dine with him: and he went in, and sat down to meat. And when the Pharisee saw it, he marvelled that he had not first washed before dinner. And the Lord said unto him, Now do ye Pharisees make clean the outside of the cup and the platter but your inward part is full of ravening and wickedness.
    "I might pay attention to Westboro is they weren't so rude and offensive. You can't get anything done in this world if you don't at least be respectful and show a little social etiquette." Why would it surprise anyone that God would choose a bunch of potty-mouthed hillbillys to preach the COMPLETE truth tailored to the times in these last days? Krishna was royalty, Buddha was a prince, Gandhi was a intellectual lawyer, Mohammed was a great warrior. Jesus? A handyman hillbilly who was LITERALLY "born in a barn", mocked, betrayed, spat on, scourged and crucified. Was offensive, called people fools, called people hypocrites, threatened ("repent or perish")...the rudest most offensive religious figure in history.

And all any of the faux-Christians can come back at WBC is that Jesus said "Love thy neighbor", which to them seems to mean "don't offend your neighbor" which Christ violated consistently. So the lukewarm Christian says in his heart, "I will preach the gospel of Christ but I don't want to ruffle any feathers. I will love but not being rude will take precedence." If your neighbors sins are dragging them to hell will you withhold rebuking them for fear of offending? If you do you are offending Christ. Which is worse?

You see "God Hates ****" is not a message of promised damnation for every gay person on earth. WBC knows full well there are other things that are abominable to God like a proud heart. They are not scripturally ignorant, they are scripture ninjas compared to most of the people on this forum. "God Hates ****" is an end-times warning. "Remember Lot's Wife", "Why did God destroy Sodom?", these are end-times warnings. The warning is that a nation that sanctifies all manner of sin is "topped off" by sanctification of homosexuality. Whether you agree or not that is their message. And lo and behold 19 states have legalized it and it is expected that before the Supreme court adjourns in June of 2015 the prohibitions in the other 31 states will be overturned. So when they say "God will not have *** marriage" what they are saying is that gay marriage sancification will be the last straw before destruction time.

But I really don't care about "defending WBC". Neither do I want to blabber on about my interpretation of Calvinism. Nor do I care to tangle wits about how Eminem is being "artistic and metaphorical" whereas WBC "really means" what they are saying, because it's obvious very few care to know what they "really mean". I have little doubt I've read and understood WBC more than anyone on this forum and I can say that likely few if any have ventured past there "being offended" at those three words.

But I would like to comment on why I believe most people, Christians in this country in particular, are "really" offended by WBC, and the true and complete Word of God in general. Not the watered down gospel that's preached but the prophecies in revelation, Isaiah, etc. I think it is because in general there is a hope and a prayer that America or Americans will somehow "escape" the wrath to come. Maybe God will cherry-pick the good from the bad and only abide his wrath on the "really bad".

Let me give you my interpretation. America IS doomed. And I will give you a little chapter and a little interpretation for you to mull over and see what you think.

Rev 18:4-8 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues. For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities. Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double. How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow. Therefore shall her plagues come in one day, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong is the Lord God who judgeth her.
    "Well", says most, "I suppose that 'could' be the USA, but..." Most of these 'buts' though seem to me to be simply hoping that it isn't. Now I've bolded the part that is the most telling in my opinion. What does it mean to say "I am no widow" in the context of the gospel? Well, it implies a marriage. And many many times in the bible, especially the new testament, it's talking about the marriage between Christ and the church. Christ is the groom, and the church is the bride. So this verse is saying that this nation, symbolically Babylon, says it is no widow when in fact it is. In other words Christ is no longer with it, but she says it is.

Now does China say that? Russia? UK? Or is it the USA with it's "God-given rights" and "Christian principles". Our atheist president who "tortures some folks", bombs civilians, supports abortion for his own children, and then has the nerve (most recently concerning ISIS bombing) to get on tv and say "God bless America and God bless our troops." And to top it all off puts "In God We Trust" on it's coins and currency, that currency being the primary weapon of oppression of the poor of all tyrants on earth as any true Paulite would concede.

"But Jesus is about love and peace he wouldn't just destroy a whole country, there are innocents there!" America kills innocents every single day, not even counting the 4000 abortions a day. People who talk like this have not read or at least have failed to grasp the God of Abraham, Christs Father. Do you think there weren't babies and children in the flood? In Sodom and Gomorrah? Whatever nation this Babylon is it will be destroyed like no other nation before it. People have no fear of the God of Abraham not really, even when Jesus specifically tells us THAT is who you should fear.

Luke 12:4-5 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. 5But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Now the above I think many would agree, and somewhere or the other maybe has already been said. But let me say something perhaps none of you reading this have ever heard.

Many might say, "so God destroys America with earthquake, volcano, fire and brimstone from heaven, etc. and all the wicked tyrants just fly away or hide in a bunker, that doesn't seem just".

First off, if you die quickly in the apocalypse and have repented I'd say you might be lucky. The nation would be destroyed but killing in many instances might be merciful. Secondly, make no mistake, there will be NO ESCAPE from the wrath. And I personally believe this wrath will not be "impersonal" or "indirect" only, via plagues, etc. I believe God the Father is going to personally come down to claim his vengeance. Maybe not even come down, he may be himself born here in the flesh (I say this because I speculate that the "man child" who goes up to the throne in heaven is Jesus reborn and actually fathered in the flesh by God). I believe he will make personal house calls to many men of earth and take his vengeance in the sight of other men.

Some might disagree and say that "the wrath of the lamb" is the vengeance. But there are too many prophecies in my opinion that are unfulfilled that to me can't apply to Christ coming in power and glory like lightning in the sky to destroy his enemies to fill this logical gap. When this world sees Christ again he will be here to immediately destroy the armies that Satan has built with undeniable finality.

But there is a task indicated in scripture that Jesus logically cannot do. He cannot "gather the elect". How can he "gather the elect (deliver) from all nations"? How can he "lead them to a place of refuge for 1260 days" when it's clearly said he will appear in the sky with 10,000 saints?

I believe that if you take to heart as Christ said, "I and the Father are one", then you can see that many of the old prophecies in Isaiah for instance could apply to either what the Father is/will do or what the Son is/will do.

This is why I believe the Jews who say Christ didn't fulfill the prophecy were half right. Christ wasn't the "deliverer", but he was the messiah. It is Christ who saves, but the Father, as he did in Egypt, is the deliverer.

Anyway, food for thought. Here's a few passages I've used to back this up in my own mind anyway.

John 15:1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
    Husbandman means gardener. So the elect, the "firstfruits" that are gathered from all nations out of bondage are done by whom? Does the vine gather it's own grapes?

Psalm 110:1 The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.
    Here the Father is speaking to the son. The father in the first 3.5 years of the tribulation will lay waste to the governments and institutions of men and the tyrants and evil men that run it, paying special attention to those who hold his elect in bondage. Setting the stage "making thine enemies thy footstool" for Satan to take control of world government completely in order that mankind can face it's greatest temptation (all the things that will make you want to take the mark).

Micah 1:3 For, behold, the LORD cometh forth out of his place, and will come down, and tread upon the high places of the earth.
    Self explanatory. The Father will visit many places, pray you aren't there when he is.

Revelation 6:16-17 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?
    This verse to me is the most telling. In numerous places especially in the old testament, God "hides his face". No one has seen him. Even when he left Moses on the mountain he told him to turn away so Moses wouldn't see his face. "The face" is a reference to the Father. He turns his face from those who disobey him. But not in the last day. In the day of his wrath he WILL turn his face towards men and it will be terrible for those who see it. The verse doesn't say "the wrath of the Lamb AND HIS face", it's clearly talking about two distinct people.

So when you read the bible and you see verses like "I will mock you when your fear cometh." that isn't Jesus talking about his final battle when he appears in the sky. That is the Father warning and foreshadowing to wicked men what will befall them when he enters his own creation and ventures forth to gather the elect. "Why if this is true wouldn't it be more explicit?" Simple, he will come as a thief in the night. No one expects him. Classic good cop/bad cop. If no one believed Christ came in the flesh to save the world, how much harder to believe the Father will come down with flesh and bones, the "living God"?

So if you want my survivalist advice I would say get out of USA if you can. If you can't, prepare for living in a wasteland. If you can do neither then accept your life is likely forfeit (you should really do this anyway concerning your worldly life if you are Christian) and pray God gives you time and space for as much repentance as you can muster before the door closes.

But it isn't as if there is no hope. Revelation says "multitudes" will be saved out of the tribulation and be part of the first resurrection, not just the elect. The elect will not die, many who will come to Christ will however. So even though the mass of humanity will be killed that doesn't mean they are damned.

So what is "real Christian love" in America in these last days? Is it pontificating about the metaphysical aspects of atonement? Is it defining what it means to be saved? Is it questioning the Calvinist interpretation of free will vs. predestination? Is it comparing the Eastern Orthodox/Catholic/Protestant paradigm?

Or is it the simple messages from WBC:

"The Lord is coming","Destruction is Imminent" (These are the last days, you are being warned)
    "Repent or Perish" (Jesus' own words)
    "Priests rape boys" (Catholic church is corrupt beyond saving and being part of it is enabling child molestation)
    "America, not blessed just cursed" (America says "I am no widow")
    "Soldiers die for *** marriage" (in other words not for "freedom" that soldier worshippers delusionally think)
    "You hate your children." (you don't teach them god's standard)
    "Thank God for [insert any social tragedy here]" (You should see God's hand in all affliction)

I don't post a lot concerning scripture because I have a very Rev 22:11 outlook these days "He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still."

I also see no hope in these last days for any kind of "liberty movement". I now see the old Ron Paul Movement as the death rattle, the last breath of liberty in this country. It was not the brushfire we all thought it was. It was the last whiff of smoke you see when the candle burns out.

I don't write these words to be spiteful. I genuinely hope it gives insight to whoever might read them.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post
    Well, ho hum and a bottle of rum.

What do you guys think about Eminem's music wherein he uses the word "***" ad infinitum, talks about doing every conceivable drug, raping his mother, killing his daughters mother, doing every conceivable crime, and gets rich doing it?

What do you guys think about this church who uses "God hates ****" to get everyone's attention and claims to be preaching the truth about these last times and about Christs message?

Ron Paul Forums response:

Is calling a church a "cult" any different than calling a homosexual a "***", Kevin007? I suppose "***" just is less politically correct than "cult".

But I get it. Eminem is popular and WBC is infamous. Eminem gets the benefit of the doubt with all the worldly folks and WBC does not.

Faulting everything Westboro preaches because they use an off-color word to jar Americans from their catatonic slumber and pay attention is to me the same as when the Pharisees faulted Christ for not washing his hands.

"I might pay attention to Westboro is they weren't so rude and offensive. You can't get anything done in this world if you don't at least be respectful and show a little social etiquette." Why would it surprise anyone that God would choose a bunch of potty-mouthed hillbillys to preach the COMPLETE truth tailored to the times in these last days? Krishna was royalty, Buddha was a prince, Gandhi was a intellectual lawyer, Mohammed was a great warrior. Jesus? A handyman hillbilly who was LITERALLY "born in a barn", mocked, betrayed, spat on, scourged and crucified. Was offensive, called people fools, called people hypocrites, threatened ("repent or perish")...the rudest most offensive religious figure in history.

And all any of the faux-Christians can come back at WBC is that Jesus said "Love thy neighbor", which to them seems to mean "don't offend your neighbor" which Christ violated consistently. So the lukewarm Christian says in his heart, "I will preach the gospel of Christ but I don't want to ruffle any feathers. I will love but not being rude will take precedence." If your neighbors sins are dragging them to hell will you withhold rebuking them for fear of offending? If you do you are offending Christ. Which is worse?

You see "God Hates ****" is not a message of promised damnation for every gay person on earth. WBC knows full well there are other things that are abominable to God like a proud heart. They are not scripturally ignorant, they are scripture ninjas compared to most of the people on this forum. "God Hates ****" is an end-times warning. "Remember Lot's Wife", "Why did God destroy Sodom?", these are end-times warnings. The warning is that a nation that sanctifies all manner of sin is "topped off" by sanctification of homosexuality. Whether you agree or not that is their message. And lo and behold 19 states have legalized it and it is expected that before the Supreme court adjourns in June of 2015 the prohibitions in the other 31 states will be overturned. So when they say "God will not have *** marriage" what they are saying is that gay marriage sancification will be the last straw before destruction time.

But I really don't care about "defending WBC". Neither do I want to blabber on about my interpretation of Calvinism. Nor do I care to tangle wits about how Eminem is being "artistic and metaphorical" whereas WBC "really means" what they are saying, because it's obvious very few care to know what they "really mean". I have little doubt I've read and understood WBC more than anyone on this forum and I can say that likely few if any have ventured past there "being offended" at those three words.

But I would like to comment on why I believe most people, Christians in this country in particular, are "really" offended by WBC, and the true and complete Word of God in general. Not the watered down gospel that's preached but the prophecies in revelation, Isaiah, etc. I think it is because in general there is a hope and a prayer that America or Americans will somehow "escape" the wrath to come. Maybe God will cherry-pick the good from the bad and only abide his wrath on the "really bad".

Let me give you my interpretation. America IS doomed. And I will give you a little chapter and a little interpretation for you to mull over and see what you think.

"Well", says most, "I suppose that 'could' be the USA, but..." Most of these 'buts' though seem to me to be simply hoping that it isn't. Now I've bolded the part that is the most telling in my opinion. What does it mean to say "I am no widow" in the context of the gospel? Well, it implies a marriage. And many many times in the bible, especially the new testament, it's talking about the marriage between Christ and the church. Christ is the groom, and the church is the bride. So this verse is saying that this nation, symbolically Babylon, says it is no widow when in fact it is. In other words Christ is no longer with it, but she says it is.

Now does China say that? Russia? UK? Or is it the USA with it's "God-given rights" and "Christian principles". Our atheist president who "tortures some folks", bombs civilians, supports abortion for his own children, and then has the nerve (most recently concerning ISIS bombing) to get on tv and say "God bless America and God bless our troops." And to top it all off puts "In God We Trust" on it's coins and currency, that currency being the primary weapon of oppression of the poor of all tyrants on earth as any true Paulite would concede.

"But Jesus is about love and peace he wouldn't just destroy a whole country, there are innocents there!" America kills innocents every single day, not even counting the 4000 abortions a day. People who talk like this have not read or at least have failed to grasp the God of Abraham, Christs Father. Do you think there weren't babies and children in the flood? In Sodom and Gomorrah? Whatever nation this Babylon is it will be destroyed like no other nation before it. People have no fear of the God of Abraham not really, even when Jesus specifically tells us THAT is who you should fear.

Now the above I think many would agree, and somewhere or the other maybe has already been said. But let me say something perhaps none of you reading this have ever heard.

Many might say, "so God destroys America with earthquake, volcano, fire and brimstone from heaven, etc. and all the wicked tyrants just fly away or hide in a bunker, that doesn't seem just".

First off, if you die quickly in the apocalypse and have repented I'd say you might be lucky. The nation would be destroyed but killing in many instances might be merciful. Secondly, make no mistake, there will be NO ESCAPE from the wrath. And I personally believe this wrath will not be "impersonal" or "indirect" only, via plagues, etc. I believe God the Father is going to personally come down to claim his vengeance. Maybe not even come down, he may be himself born here in the flesh (I say this because I speculate that the "man child" who goes up to the throne in heaven is Jesus reborn and actually fathered in the flesh by God). I believe he will make personal house calls to many men of earth and take his vengeance in the sight of other men.

Some might disagree and say that "the wrath of the lamb" is the vengeance. But there are too many prophecies in my opinion that are unfulfilled that to me can't apply to Christ coming in power and glory like lightning in the sky to destroy his enemies to fill this logical gap. When this world sees Christ again he will be here to immediately destroy the armies that Satan has built with undeniable finality.

But there is a task indicated in scripture that Jesus logically cannot do. He cannot "gather the elect". How can he "gather the elect (deliver) from all nations"? How can he "lead them to a place of refuge for 1260 days" when it's clearly said he will appear in the sky with 10,000 saints?

I believe that if you take to heart as Christ said, "I and the Father are one", then you can see that many of the old prophecies in Isaiah for instance could apply to either what the Father is/will do or what the Son is/will do.

This is why I believe the Jews who say Christ didn't fulfill the prophecy were half right. Christ wasn't the "deliverer", but he was the messiah. It is Christ who saves, but the Father, as he did in Egypt, is the deliverer.

Anyway, food for thought. Here's a few passages I've used to back this up in my own mind anyway.

Husbandman means gardener. So the elect, the "firstfruits" that are gathered from all nations out of bondage are done by whom? Does the vine gather it's own grapes?

Here the Father is speaking to the son. The father in the first 3.5 years of the tribulation will lay waste to the governments and institutions of men and the tyrants and evil men that run it, paying special attention to those who hold his elect in bondage. Setting the stage "making thine enemies thy footstool" for Satan to take control of world government completely in order that mankind can face it's greatest temptation (all the things that will make you want to take the mark).

Self explanatory. The Father will visit many places, pray you aren't there when he is.

This verse to me is the most telling. In numerous places especially in the old testament, God "hides his face". No one has seen him. Even when he left Moses on the mountain he told him to turn away so Moses wouldn't see his face. "The face" is a reference to the Father. He turns his face from those who disobey him. But not in the last day. In the day of his wrath he WILL turn his face towards men and it will be terrible for those who see it. The verse doesn't say "the wrath of the Lamb AND HIS face", it's clearly talking about two distinct people.

So when you read the bible and you see verses like "I will mock you when your fear cometh." that isn't Jesus talking about his final battle when he appears in the sky. That is the Father warning and foreshadowing to wicked men what will befall them when he enters his own creation and ventures forth to gather the elect. "Why if this is true wouldn't it be more explicit?" Simple, he will come as a thief in the night. No one expects him. Classic good cop/bad cop. If no one believed Christ came in the flesh to save the world, how much harder to believe the Father will come down with flesh and bones, the "living God"?

So if you want my survivalist advice I would say get out of USA if you can. If you can't, prepare for living in a wasteland. If you can do neither then accept your life is likely forfeit (you should really do this anyway concerning your worldly life if you are Christian) and pray God gives you time and space for as much repentance as you can muster before the door closes.

But it isn't as if there is no hope. Revelation says "multitudes" will be saved out of the tribulation and be part of the first resurrection, not just the elect. The elect will not die, many who will come to Christ will however. So even though the mass of humanity will be killed that doesn't mean they are damned.

So what is "real Christian love" in America in these last days? Is it pontificating about the metaphysical aspects of atonement? Is it defining what it means to be saved? Is it questioning the Calvinist interpretation of free will vs. predestination? Is it comparing the Eastern Orthodox/Catholic/Protestant paradigm?

Or is it the simple messages from WBC:

"The Lord is coming","Destruction is Imminent" (These are the last days, you are being warned)
    "Repent or Perish" (Jesus' own words)
    "Priests rape boys" (Catholic church is corrupt beyond saving and being part of it is enabling child molestation)
    "America, not blessed just cursed" (America says "I am no widow")
    "Soldiers die for *** marriage" (in other words not for "freedom" that soldier worshippers delusionally think)
    "You hate your children." (you don't teach them god's standard)
    "Thank God for [insert any social tragedy here]" (You should see God's hand in all affliction)

I don't post a lot concerning scripture because I have a very Rev 22:11 outlook these days "He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still."

I also see no hope in these last days for any kind of "liberty movement". I now see the old Ron Paul Movement as the death rattle, the last breath of liberty in this country. It was not the brushfire we all thought it was. It was the last whiff of smoke you see when the candle burns out.

I don't write these words to be spiteful. I genuinely hope it gives insight to whoever might read them.
    Hmmm... this is very interesting and I actually PMed you in order to learn more. With that being said, here are my preliminary thoughts:

1. I am often frustrated by the failure of so many churches to tell it how it is. I hate the fact that most of our churches today are completely accepting of the military, for instance. But I think WBC's reaction is, well, reactionary, misses the correct position, and goes too far. Instead of worshipping the military like so many churches, they hold up signs saying soldiers are going to Hell and disrupting the funerals. They are right to hate the sin, but they are wrong to hate the sinner. And really, that could apply to the funerals of gay people as well. Calling them "****" may be true but its not loving or helpful. Its the same reason I don't call cops "pigs" most of the time even though I don't like them and I consider their behavior sinful as well.

2. Jesus was the harshest with those who thought they were saved but weren't. He was never, to my knowledge, harsh with a man who knew he was lost. So really, the harshest words SHOULD be reserved for false "Christian" churches, which would be one reason I am far more OK with the term "cult" than "***." On top of that, the point of calling a church a "cult" isn't to insult the people within, but to identify the church as false and without the gospel. I have never heard the term "***" being used for any reason other than specifically to offend the person to whom it is being directed.

Ya started losing me with calling WBC members scriptural ninjas. If they have any moral compass and scriptural knowledge then they would know He hates the sin which is a separate case from a person's soul and what they are stating is He hates the "***" not homosexuality.

Now I'm sure you'd love to think you are so much more intellectually and spiritually superior to others here as the post so eloquently proclaims but you might want to look into His opinion on such arrogant posturing. It seems as though you are just another angry Calvinist that wants to repackage hate as spiritual love and claim anyone who disagrees just affirms your right and need to act like a nasty, hateful person. Funny, I must have missed the part of the Beatitudes where this type of behavior was condoned and recommended.

People have been claiming since He rose from the grave the end is near. Using the end times excuse to further enhance the reasoning for being a jerk is just typical of those who redirect their inner darkness into some twisted form of "evangelizing".

I Thessalonians 5: 14We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people.

Maybe a bit more be patient with everyone is in order here? But I suppose of what importance is that when it is so much easier to be a contemptuous member of the OSAS elect.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ya started losing me with calling WBC members scriptural ninjas. If they have any moral compass and scriptural knowledge then they would know He hates the sin which is a separate case from a person's soul and what they are stating is He hates the "***" not homosexuality.

Now I'm sure you'd love to think you are so much more intellectually and spiritually superior to others here as the post so eloquently proclaims but you might want to look into His opinion on such arrogant posturing. It seems as though you are just another angry Calvinist that wants to repackage hate as spiritual love and claim anyone who disagrees just affirms your right and need to act like a nasty, hateful person. Funny, I must have missed the part of the Beatitudes where this type of behavior was condoned and recommended.

People have been claiming since He rose from the grave the end is near. Using the end times excuse to further enhance the reasoning for being a jerk is just typical of those who redirect their inner darkness into some twisted form of "evangelizing".

I Thessalonians 5: 14We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people.

Maybe a bit more be patient with everyone is in order here? But I suppose of what importance is that when it is so much easier to be a contemptuous member of the OSAS elect.
    I think its funny that you're lecturing ANYONE about scriptural knowledge. It is people like you that cannot read the plain words of scripture that allow increasingly radical groups like WBC to exist. They need to be refuted SCRIPTURALLY, not with emotional "but its just so mean" garbage...

Well--whether or not it was meant in the same frame of reference as the author of the sign or not--still--it's not a lie. God does love gays and wants them to understand how He wills for them to live, love and become a child of God just the same as He does any other lost sinner.
    Based on the types of Christianity many people I know practice, saying God Loves Gays is a fact. Whereas, saying God Hates Gays would be a lie according to how most of the Christians I know understand the Bible. Either way, I support Lamar's decision. It would certainly have been for business.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

The WBC is irrelevant, ignore them.
    Stop believing stupid things

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Based on the types of Christianity many people I know practice, saying God Loves Gays is a fact. Whereas, saying God Hates Gays would be a lie according to how most of the Christians I know understand the Bible. Either way, I support Lamar's decision. It would certainly have been for business.
    I actually think both of those statements would be Biblically accurate. I don't really go around saying either one though, because they both connotate things that are not true. Saying that God hates gays implies that homosexuality is some kind of special sin that God can't forgive. And saying "God loves gays" often implies that homosexuality really isn't that big a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    The WBC is irrelevant, ignore them.
    I think I'm at least willing to hear wizardwatson out, considering where he lives.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    I think I'm at least willing to hear wizardwatson out, considering where he lives.
    From what I understand, everyone in Topeka hates WBC anyway, and it's no leftist paradise. Well, I feel sorry for wizardwatson for having to live there. Some of my relatives still live near that boring city.
    Stop believing stupid things

I think its funny that you're lecturing ANYONE about scriptural knowledge. It is people like you that cannot read the plain words of scripture that allow increasingly radical groups like WBC to exist. They need to be refuted SCRIPTURALLY, not with emotional "but its just so mean" garbage...
    Yeah, well thanks FF. You've been after me for ages because you don't read what I write. My basis is Scripture if you'd look at what I said but you're too busy trying to one up someone. And being mean is a piss poor attitude that comes from indulging one's ego and not living in the Spirit. They exist because of Calvinist philosophy, but don't let that get in the way of casting blame upon me for their existence. I wouldn't want logic to stand in your way...

Go Forward With Courage

-- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Yeah, well thanks FF. You've been after me for ages because you don't read what I write. My basis is Scripture if you'd look at what I said but you're too busy trying to one up someone. And being mean is a piss poor attitude that comes from indulging one's ego and not living in the Spirit. They exist because of Calvinist philosophy, but don't let that get in the way of casting blame upon me for their existence. I wouldn't want logic to stand in your way...
    They're no more normal Calvinists than the Carpenterites:

http://www.outsidethecamp.org/efl251.htm

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

And thus you prove my point...thank you for playing!

Go Forward With Courage

-- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Those are 6 or 7 point Calvinists.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    LOL

And thus you prove my point...thank you for playing!
    If you had just attacked WBC, I wouldn't have said anything. Anybody can attack WBC. In your case its a lot like John McCain saying what a bad person Adolf Hitler is, yeah its a little hypocritical on John's part but Hitler is still far worse and a stopped clock can be right twice a day. But then you throw in a general attack on Calvinists, which just shows everyone your cluelessness.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Well, the Carpenterites don't claim to be Calvinists, thankfully, but if they were I'd say they'd be infinity point Calvinists.

You haven't quoted any scripture in this thread and you're attacking moostracks for not quoting scripture in this thread.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

WizardWatson, it sounds to me like you are saying WBC is like the Alex Jones of the religious right. Lot's of pro gun people here and elsewhere were angry at Jones for his rant against Piers Morgan. But there's no denying that fact that not to long after that rant the tide of public opinion on gun control started noticeably shifting. And Ted Nugent followed Jones' example and ranted just as hard. The next time Larry Pratt was on Piers Morgan was much nicer to him. And Morgan actually went to Texas and shot some guns, something Jones asked him to do in his rant. So in Jones' case, the strategy of being inflammatory to draw attention to the argument you're making seems to have worked. In the WBC case....I haven't seen evidence of it working. It sounds like you are there on the ground. What evangelistic success can you point to from these "scriptural ninjas"?

As for those arguing the "love the sinner, hate the sin" position, if WBC put up billboards that "God loves gay people but finds homosexuality disgusting and if you don't change He will roast you alive forever and ever" would that be less controversial? (It would be harder to put that on a billboard.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast